Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Those last two videos swayed me, and I found it (Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance) for $12.00 at greenmangaming using voucher code 1EUYMC-XPDZG8-KOF6WX (code from their front page) at checkout

25GB install size :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
That's 23 gigs of uncompressed video and about 2 gigs of game.

Ed: My bad. The movie folder is 24.5 gigs.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 7, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think it's a lot of uncompressed audio or something.

fake edit: well, I was close

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Still loving the hell out of Blacklist but wow, 10 crashes in an hour of gameplay is not good Ubisoft! Fortunately checkpoints are frequent. Definitely won't be replaying the game because of this though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mr. nobody posted:

25GB install size :eyepop:

The jump from Splinter Cell Conviction to Blacklist is an extra 12.5 GB - from 7GB to 20GB. That's some high quality texturin' right there.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
And now I remember why I hate getting any games outside of the Steam UI. gently caress you Win7, and your ridiculous insistence on installing games to a "games" folder that, yes, I can find, but it only contains shortcuts to the games and not the actual folder the assets and .exe's are stored in, or tell me where the .exe is.

How the gently caress am I supposed to mod these old DnD games back into widescreen playability if I can't find the folders in the first loving place!?

[/rantover]

Okay, okay, found it. It was in a folder named DnDMC, inside another folder named Atari, inside the old ProgramFiles(x86) folder. Now to move all that poo poo out so I can actually work with it somewhere that won't treat the files as loving read-only.

No, I didn't handle the conversion from XP to 7 well, why do you ask?

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 7, 2014

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Rright click the shortcut, click properties, it should tell you where the folder of the exe it links to, copy and paste.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Rita Repulsa posted:

Rright click the shortcut, click properties, it should tell you where the folder of the exe it links to, copy and paste.

The "Games" folder? Not a real windows explorer window, it's an internal service that just grabs whatever it reads in your system as a game and pops a shortcut in. It's also connected to the wild-tangent game service. loving thing came with the PC, and the right-click menu on those icons is worthless. No properties option.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Ragequit posted:

Still loving the hell out of Blacklist but wow, 10 crashes in an hour of gameplay is not good Ubisoft! Fortunately checkpoints are frequent. Definitely won't be replaying the game because of this though.

I dunno man, I didn't have the game crash a single time on me when I beat it in April. Although googling around it looks like the game has some strange bug where it crashes on a specific schedule every 20 to 50 minutes? That's some weird poo poo.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

RickVoid posted:

The "Games" folder? Not a real windows explorer window, it's an internal service that just grabs whatever it reads in your system as a game and pops a shortcut in. It's also connected to the wild-tangent game service. loving thing came with the PC, and the right-click menu on those icons is worthless. No properties option.

Hit the start button, your cursor will be automatically in the search textbox, type something that will help you find the .exe, it will appear as you type up above (whatever matches).

If you find a match, right click it in the list and select "open file location" if the option exists, if not choose properties and it will list it in there.

Bubz
Mar 11, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I'd love to hear what people think about Syberia.

I really like adventure games, but tried playing Syberia twice and can't get past how bland it all is :/

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Lance Streetman posted:

Ironically the video is lower resolution and 30fps so the normal game footage looks better a lot of the time.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Hour posted:

I dunno man, I didn't have the game crash a single time on me when I beat it in April. Although googling around it looks like the game has some strange bug where it crashes on a specific schedule every 20 to 50 minutes? That's some weird poo poo.

Yeah I can't seem to pin it down. Tried setting it to DX9 instead of 11, changed a recommended setting in the .ini file, etc. Last night I went 2 hours straight with no problems. Tonight it was every 5 minutes. Restarted the computer after 6 crashes or so and then it went away for a bit.

I just disabled the 5 bombs. I imagine I am getting to the end soon, as things just ramped up a bit. I'll survive the crashing.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

mr. nobody posted:

Hit the start button, your cursor will be automatically in the search textbox, type something that will help you find the .exe, it will appear as you type up above (whatever matches).

If you find a match, right click it in the list and select "open file location" if the option exists, if not choose properties and it will list it in there.

I did find what I was looking for (the hard way, sadly), and edited the post to match. Thanks anyway though!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nearly finished main campaign of Arkham Origins. It's hard to believe that they finally found a decent replacement for Kevin Conroy as Batman and it ends up being the dude who voices Sonic the Hedgehog and Thomas the intern from Regular Show

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nearly finished main campaign of Arkham Origins. It's hard to believe that they finally found a decent replacement for Kevin Conroy as Batman and it ends up being the dude who voices Sonic the Hedgehog and Thomas the intern from Regular Show

Not so much a replacement as they didn't want to him to sound exactly like Grown Up Batman. Conroy is still doing the voice in Arkham Knight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

If you want an example of a good replacement, look to Harley Quinn or the Penguin. Not in Origins, though (to my knowledge, haven't played it).

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Not so much a replacement as they didn't want to him to sound exactly like Grown Up Batman. Conroy is still doing the voice in Arkham Knight.

I guarantee you they would have used Conroy if they could have/didn't want to save on budget.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I wanted to finally get around to playing my FF7 copy. I know there are certain mods you need to install to fix the music and stuff like that, but I can't find them. What are they again?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr Tastee posted:

I wanted to finally get around to playing my FF7 copy. I know there are certain mods you need to install to fix the music and stuff like that, but I can't find them. What are they again?

I thought they patched the proper music in?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

If you want an example of a good replacement, look to Harley Quinn or the Penguin. Not in Origins, though (to my knowledge, haven't played it).
It's a good Batman voice!! I usually fuckin hate non-Conroy Batmans. But Thomas Batman was pretty good. The Joker replacement was okay too although he probably could have put a different spin on the voice than just imitating Mark Hamill. Not that it'll matter for Arkham Knight, cause.. well.. you know

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

That's not really what I meant, Harley is basically perfect. I didn't realize it was a different voice actress until someone told me.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Jerusalem posted:

Everybody should play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Don't make the same mistake I did and own it for awhile but not play it, because I regret every second I didn't start playing it earlier.

Jeez, ok, fine!

Wow, this is pretty good!

E: And Raiden's little cyborg high-heels are so cute! :blush:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 7, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Darkrenown posted:

Jeez, ok, fine!

Correct.

Darkrenown posted:

Wow, this is pretty good!

Correct.

Darkrenown posted:

E: And Raiden's little cyborg high-heels are so cute! :blush:

Correct!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Jerusalem posted:

Everybody should play Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Don't make the same mistake I did and own it for awhile but not play it, because I regret every second I didn't start playing it earlier.

You know what I wish? I wish I could go back in time to the moment I started playing Revengeance just so I could experience it all for the first time again :allears:

Bring on MGR:R 2 Revengeance Harder. Do it Patinum. Do it.

So could someone explain the Steam region locking on this game to me, because I want to buy cheap copies next time it's on sale and spread the love but I'm unsure who I could actually gift UK copies to.

Helith fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 7, 2014

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's a good Batman voice!! I usually fuckin hate non-Conroy Batmans. But Thomas Batman was pretty good. The Joker replacement was okay too although he probably could have put a different spin on the voice than just imitating Mark Hamill. Not that it'll matter for Arkham Knight, cause.. well.. you know

Look at you, thinking they won't figure out a way to wedge Joker into Arkham Knight.

Oughta use it as an excuse to get Troy Baker back. I could listen to him sing alternate versions of old country songs as the Joker for a long time.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm going to dissent a bit and say dodging is probably more important than parry in MGR. Dodge allows to attack at the same time, has invincibility frames, and allows you to continue your combo. A lot of bosses become ridiculously easy if you learn how to dodge well. Sundowner in particular is a joke, as his explosive shield can be triggered with the dodge attack, and the damage completely ignored thanks to the invincibility frames. You can get a several hundred hit combo on him if you wish.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I would agree except that not only does parrying pretty much always do the job on normal -> very hard, but on revengence mode perfect parry is the entire gimmick the difficulty revolves around.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Reveangance mode is pretty much a gimmick difficulty, anyway :v:

In these types of games, dodge is almost always mechanically superior to blocking. Same for Ninja Gaiden, same for Bayonneta... i think the only exception is in Devil May Cry where Royal Guard beats the poo poo out of everything else easily if you learn how to block properly.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I would argue that it's contextual and that both have value in the right situation. Learning to play the game well revolves around knowing when to use either one to best advantage.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hmmm, Splinter Cell Blacklist is making it hard for me to do the solo Grim missions. Perfect stealth runs, huh?

Goddamn heavy infantry and sniper combos.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Ddraig posted:

Reveangance mode is pretty much a gimmick difficulty, anyway :v:

No arguments there. But even on very hard perfect parry felt like it did a lot of damage whereas dodge's felt pretty insignificant. There were a few times where I used dodge religiously for iframe abuse but I felt like the vast majority of the time just face-tanking and slamming them with high damage perfect parries into a combo was overall more effective and less work for no real necessary mechanical advantage required by the game (unlike say, ninja gaiden). :shrug:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dodge is also cool because of a little known quirk but you can actually still parry during an dodge move, meaning you can essentially both parry and dodge at the same time, meaning if either fails, the other will pick up the slack. This is also great in Revengeance mode as you can parry during the first few invincibility frames, and as you can essentially cancel out of anything with the dodge move it's very, very powerful.

What annoys me is how people very rarely, if ever, use the dodge move unless there's that telegraphed yellow glow around the enemy they're fighting.

e: Sorry if I sound a bit spergy, but I love games like Revengeance. I love these types of third person precision based games from Japan like God Hand, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden... for the most of the time you can actually coast through the game very easily using just parry, as it's kind of a very safe defense. I just love that there's the option to be more badass if you wish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99vyCca5RRQ

This is the kind of thing I'm on about.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 7, 2014

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Ddraig posted:

What annoys me is how people very rarely, if ever, use the dodge move unless there's that telegraphed yellow glow around the enemy they're fighting.

I think this is mostly because the input is slightly awkward - it's not difficult by any means but compared to the (all different!) dodge inputs for Devil May Cry, God of War, and Bayonetta, it is definitely less natural.

Also you don't start with it :shrug:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For what it's worth, you also don't start with Zandatsu, but that's considered a drat essential part of the game too :v:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

Hmmm, Splinter Cell Blacklist is making it hard for me to do the solo Grim missions. Perfect stealth runs, huh?

Goddamn heavy infantry and sniper combos.

Have you played through the main campaign? Just getting an awesome assault rifle with a silencer (honey badger) makes it easy to get silent kills. Even on heavily armored guys. I always went with death from above with shields.

Unless you are talking about leaving all the enemies untouched. I have never bothered with that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ragequit posted:

Have you played through the main campaign? Just getting an awesome assault rifle with a silencer (honey badger) makes it easy to get silent kills. Even on heavily armored guys. I always went with death from above with shields.

Unless you are talking about leaving all the enemies untouched. I have never bothered with that.

No, I've not actually done any campaign things yet, I just got to the plane and started talking to Grimsdotter.

I suppose I should play through at least part of the story before I go on with that other stuff? Her missions made it sound relevant to the story, though. :shrug:

You do get more money if you leave enemies untouched, don't you? A LOT of money. I made like 200k when I ghosted and avoided everyone that first Grim mission at the island fortress.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Drifter posted:

No, I've not actually done any campaign things yet, I just got to the plane and started talking to Grimsdotter.

I suppose I should play through at least part of the story before I go on with that other stuff? Her missions made it sound relevant to the story, though. :shrug:

You do get more money if you leave enemies untouched, don't you? A LOT of money. I made like 200k when I ghosted and avoided everyone that first Grim mission at the island fortress.

None of the side stuff ties into the main story in any way. Most of them are just side operations the Engineers are running that doesn't really matter.

Doing them gives you access to the best stealth/assault/hybrid armors though.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drifter posted:

I have been going mainly assault and get around $250,000 a mission. I also get the dead drop, laptop, and high value target in every mission which is an additional bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lance Streetman posted:

I approve of this because it means that lots of people get mad at internet caps.

• Locked thread