Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

We've had a lot of flooding lately here in Arizona - heavy rains, ground chemistry that doesn't see much water so it doesn't absorb but rather floats on top, and roads that aren't setup to handle water.

Actually, a water main blew up in Tempe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

"that'll take a crane to get out"

(popular phrase on a popular 4x4 forum for when you get something megastuck)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In a similar vein, this happened a couple weeks ago near Pittsburgh after an afternoon torrential downpour.

The reason why the car is gone in the 2nd image is because it's completely buried in the hole. The woman was backing out of the parking space and the hole opened up right under her. She actually had to call into the tanning place and have someone run out and rescue her before the car was completely swallowed up.

This is right along a very busy section of US RT19 Business (McKnight Road), but it was actually a private property problem. The road and the entire business corridor were built alongside a stream way back in the day. The stream was captured in a pipe and the businesses and road were built over it.

About two years ago, the township sent robotic cameras into the system to inspect them and warned property owners that they better do something about their condition. But a lot of businesses ignored it. Guess who's probably going to have a huge lawsuit on their hands now!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Not sure which thread it was in, but I posted the same truck a few weeks back. I have seen it driving around town since then and today got a better pic of the minor structural issue is suffers from:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Horrible cause look at that broken frame.

A success in that it is still driven daily, even if the owner is an idiot.
This is in Northern VA, where they have annual inspections, that are a bit more than the bare minimum.

Not sure which thread it was in, but I posted the same truck a few weeks back. I have seen it driving around town since then and today got a better pic of the minor structural issue is suffers from:

you're nothing if not consistent!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Thanks for finding my post. 1year old takes most of my time now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Thanks for finding my post. 1year old takes most of my time now.

OH, i've memorized all your posts. it wasn't much trouble to find.

Also, i clicked the question mark under your monkey.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Powershift posted:

Awww, it's an AI crush. How kawai.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Powershift posted:

I admit, I did not know that ? was so useful.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004
Tire on wife's van has had a slow leak for a week, I have been procrastinating on doing anything about. Guess procrastination time is over.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Csixtyfour posted:

Tire on wife's van has had a slow leak for a week, I have been procrastinating on doing anything about. Guess procrastination time is over.

Enjoy the purchase of a 100 dollar sensor at markup with install. I would take it to a small mom and pop shop and ask to just get it replaced with a regular valve stem. Youll have a TPMS light on but money in da pocket.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think those pressure sensors are pretty great. My wife has a car without them and she was running around doing errands on a flat recently.

Conversation included phrases like "you're really supposed to check the tires every day??" Yes dear, a daily visual inspection of a machine capable of killing you or the people around you is normal. :downs:

A light on her dashboard would have at least motivated her to ask me what's going on, allowing me to fix it in a timely manner. Yes they're expensive but cheaper than digging cars out of ditches.

Csixtyfour
Jan 14, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Enjoy the purchase of a 100 dollar sensor at markup with install. I would take it to a small mom and pop shop and ask to just get it replaced with a regular valve stem. Youll have a TPMS light on but money in da pocket.

What? Pay someone to work on my car? Thats not AI at all. Running the flat tire over with another car to break the bead, and swap the tpms out, thats AI.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Preoptopus posted:

A lot of new tech in cars is unnecessary or unwanted by most of us here, but I have no problem at all with TPMS

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FuzzKill posted:

A lot of new tech in cars is unnecessary or unwanted by most of us here, but I have no problem at all with TPMS

I disagree with the dTPMS implementation, but like the idea. iTPMS is more than adequate for telling some driver who doesn't know better if a tire is going flat.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The real issue with dTPMS is that it was as usual designed to be mounted to wheels not originally built to have it, so it relies on the valvestem hole for mounting and is right in the line of fire when swapping tires.

If they had just said gently caress backwards compatibility and welded a few mount tabs to the wheel (not in the valley used during tire install/removal) this problem basically wouldn't exist. The sensors also should have been standardized and mass produced instead of each company making their own standard up.

Two pieces of 1/8 flat stock bent into an easily formed, easily welded shape and welded to the wheel, and the sensors would install with a single cotter pin or roll pin. And probably cost less than 20 bucks in volume. They aren't complicated.

Hell, it would have been easy for aftermarket companies to make sensor bracket kits that gearheads could weld to their own wheels, too. I hate it when an easy engineering problem is made stupid complex and expensive by nonstandardization and backwards compatibility.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Welding to the wheel is a bad solution.
It:
A) locally ruins the strength of the wheel.
B) requires that lots of wheels be welded by people likely grossly incompetent to do so including paint removal, cleaning, welding, and repainting
C) Your solution involves welding a relatively thin strip of metal to a GIANT heat sink then putting that welded zone in nearly constant vibratory loads

The only way I could think to do this reliably involving weding is ultrasonic welding and ultrasonic has a lot of the same problems in that it also essentially destroys the metal just in a different way. (Through mechanical means as opposed to recrystallization problems.)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
OK, well, weld them to the tires instead then.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

OK, well, weld them to the tires instead then.

Now we're talkin'

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CarForumPoster posted:

Welding to the wheel is a bad solution.
It:
A) locally ruins the strength of the wheel.
B) requires that lots of wheels be welded by people likely grossly incompetent to do so including paint removal, cleaning, welding, and repainting
C) Your solution involves welding a relatively thin strip of metal to a GIANT heat sink then putting that welded zone in nearly constant vibratory loads

The only way I could think to do this reliably involving weding is ultrasonic welding and ultrasonic has a lot of the same problems in that it also essentially destroys the metal just in a different way. (Through mechanical means as opposed to recrystallization problems.)

A) while this is correct, you realize production steel wheels are welded right? Alloys, not really, though.
B) haha you think they don't already. People do weld it yourself beadlock kits all the drat time. Including ones on alloy wheels, though that requires TIG welding.
C) wheels are typically 1/8 or 3/16 stock, at least every one I have worked on (jeeps, subarus, fords.) Welding another piece of 1/8 to them is easy.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I think you're now focused on defending an idea that is crap and its going to turn dumb fast but...

- Welded at a production facility where you can dial in a process with extensive mechanical testing or easily put huge batches into a furnace for post weld heat treatment is not comparable to welded by a mechanic.

- I have welded wheels myself as well. I have also been to a tech school for machining that had an automotive tech program and seen what happens when those guys try to weld. (Bad things)

- You will not get a precise distribution of weld failures because of the variability inherent to your proposed solution. Many will fail at very low strength. Aluminum especially has extremely poor fatigue strength in the heat affected zone. Having thousands of mechanics welding on tiny strips of metal to high silicon content aluminum will end with lots of product failures.

I totally believe that you, kastein, are capable of doing the method you describe. I do not believe it is a solution that can work when you have to engineer something for the dummies of the world.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

I think you're now focused on defending an idea that is crap and its going to turn dumb fast but...

While that may be the case temporarily here, the important takeaway that I absolutely agree with is:

kastein posted:

The real issue with dTPMS is that it was as usual designed to be mounted to wheels not originally built to have it.

The sensors also should have been standardized and mass produced instead of each company making their own standard up.

The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from. :)

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I don't know if it's a bad idea but can't the hypothetical standard TPMS have a backing plate / tab that is attached to the wheel via a suitable adhesive?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
No way with the G-forces on a typical wheel.

They really should have micro-rfid transmitters that integrate into the valve stem with a transceiver mounted in the wheel well somewhere.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

E: ^ Except that's basically what the current sensors are aside from having one central reciever? Unless you mean having passive-type chips instead of a big active circuit board, but i don't know how well that would work with an active pressure sensor.

General_Failure posted:

I don't know if it's a bad idea but can't the hypothetical standard TPMS have a backing plate / tab that is attached to the wheel via a suitable adhesive?

An app told me that a 1.5 ounce sensor mounted on an 18-inch rim at 70 mph is experiencing an outward force of about 40 lbf. You could certainly make an adhesive that holds that strong; the issue is rim profile, you'd have to make the sensor/backing plate match the curvature of the wheel precisely, which can be difficult considering all the different rim diameters, conicity where it slopes toward the drop center, etc.

Honestly, the current system works fine when the tire installers are properly trained to put the tire on without endangering the sensor; that's a personnel issue, not an engineering one. As for road damage... make the valve stems out of 1/8" cold rolled steel. :getin:

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

General_Failure posted:

It would be no different than a stick on wheel weight.

Edit: centripetal force would be holding it against the wheel. The force on the glue would be from rotational acceleration (both +/-)

Edit 2: haha holy poo poo I was thinking about it backwards. Never mind. Glue it to the tire :smugbert:

Timmy Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 7, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The best universal sensors seem to me to be the ones that attach to the centre of the wheel with a band around it, just need a longer band for larger wheels.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

E: ^ Yeah, but then the shop can't sell $30 worth of "TPMS rebuild kits" (replacement grommets and valve cores) with every tire change. How will they pad their margins?

Timmy Cruise posted:

It would be no different than a stick on wheel weight.

Wheel weights are pressed against the wheel by centrifugal force, though. It aids the adhesive, instead of fighting against it like if you mounted it on the outside of the rim (inside the tire, which is kind of necessary).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Fucknag posted:

E: ^ Yeah, but then the shop can't sell $30 worth of "TPMS rebuild kits" (replacement grommets and valve cores) with every tire change. How will they pad their margins?

You're clearly not aware that Ford's metal ziptie for that application costs 60 goddamned dollars (and that's the internal employee cost). :shepspends:

Re: breaking stems: the new generation of TPMS in use on domestics is a slightly-stiffer-than-normal rubber stem that looks and behaves like a normal rubber valve, but inside the wheel it screws into the sensor. They mount just like normal rubber valves, no o-ring bullshit. They can still be wrecked by a clumsy tire machine operator, but at least there's a reasonable chance now that the rubber will deform enough to soak the twisting (compared to a completely rigid screwed-on metal & plastic sensor).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

With ESC and highly sensitive wheel speed sensors being the norm I don't see why everyone doesn't just use wheel speeds vs pre-programmer rolling diameter maps. Or is this not accurate enough? Or is the sensor thing an issue only on older cars? I have literally never seen a vehicle with TPMS sensors, ever.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Slavvy posted:

With ESC and highly sensitive wheel speed sensors being the norm I don't see why everyone doesn't just use wheel speeds vs pre-programmer rolling diameter maps. Or is this not accurate enough? Or is the sensor thing an issue only on older cars? I have literally never seen a vehicle with TPMS sensors, ever.

How would this monitor pressure?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

CarForumPoster posted:

How would this monitor pressure?

VW does this. Pressure goes lower, circumference drops and wheel rotation speed goes up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

With ESC and highly sensitive wheel speed sensors being the norm I don't see why everyone doesn't just use wheel speeds vs pre-programmer rolling diameter maps.

This is the "iTMPS" I posted about.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The trouble with those is that they can only detect when one wheel is off. If all wheels are equally low, they'll all read the same speed and the light won't come on, unless you've also got a radar/GPS based speed sensor to compare them to.

E: And I have seen cars with all four wheels under 12 psi before, so don't call that a bullshit hypothetical edge case.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I gotta say I would prefer a car with that system just because I'll be damned if I put sensors on my winter wheels and with a circumference/wheel speed based system I wouldn't have to.

Definitely not worth buying a VW for, though!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dietcokefiend posted:

VW does this. Pressure goes lower, circumference drops and wheel rotation speed goes up.

Huh, what cars? Mine definitely has sensors inside the wheels.

I just wish mine gave me the pressure readout instead of just a light if a wheel is low.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fucknag posted:

The trouble with those is that they can only detect when one wheel is off. If all wheels are equally low, they'll all read the same speed and the light won't come on, unless you've also got a radar/GPS based speed sensor to compare them to.

E: And I have seen cars with all four wheels under 12 psi before, so don't call that a bullshit hypothetical edge case.

It's not an edge case and I don't know who would claim that. It's something very common that SHOULD be solved through routine maintenance. Since people are idiots and many governments decided to play mommy and daddy it's seeming like iTPMS will be a thing of the past.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

- Welded at a production facility where you can dial in a process with extensive mechanical testing or easily put huge batches into a furnace for post weld heat treatment is not comparable to welded by a mechanic.

- I have welded wheels myself as well. I have also been to a tech school for machining that had an automotive tech program and seen what happens when those guys try to weld. (Bad things)

- You will not get a precise distribution of weld failures because of the variability inherent to your proposed solution. Many will fail at very low strength. Aluminum especially has extremely poor fatigue strength in the heat affected zone. Having thousands of mechanics welding on tiny strips of metal to high silicon content aluminum will end with lots of product failures.

I totally believe that you, kastein, are capable of doing the method you describe. I do not believe it is a solution that can work when you have to engineer something for the dummies of the world.

No, I think we agree more than you realize. I fully agree most people are idiots and would probably gently caress it up (I've posted a lot of awful fabrication and repairs in this thread, after all), but the only people who would likely use a kit are people who can weld and care about their TPMS working... or can't and would gently caress it up, their fault, too bad so sad. I am saying it would be trivial to add mounting tabs of some sort (possibly not what I said) to factory wheels for it, and factory wheels are welded by good welders or machines under controlled conditions. Alloys, I dunno. Hell I would say just spotweld or epoxy bond* some threaded bosses down, but then I realized there are few things I would hate more than trying to get seized fasteners out of threads on a customers alloy wheel that's had a few ounces of water sloshing around in it for ten years.

Either way, standardization would have made everything better and cheaper for everyone except the sensor makers.

* if proper surface prep is done, epoxy is incredible stuff. I.e. anyone who is capable of doing a good auto paint job can do a good epoxy bond. Absolutely no way I would trust a random mechanic to TIG weld stuff on my wheels, but epoxy... yeah probably.

E: speaking of welding on wheels! Have some horrible mechanic/weldor failures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNZ4siYGkag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiLeji8bLOk

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 8, 2014

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Uthor posted:

Huh, what cars? Mine definitely has sensors inside the wheels.

I just wish mine gave me the pressure readout instead of just a light if a wheel is low.

My 2009 Rabbit has the sensors, while my wife's 2012 Golf uses the wheel speed sensor method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Cost aside we just trained a brand new technician to mount and dismount tires with TPMS in about fifteen minutes so any of you whining about the technician side of things needs to find a new shop that doesnt suck.