Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Get House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Egbert Souse posted:

Amazon has a few Criterions on sale for 50% off: ...

Also, Monsieur Verdoux

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
The Thin Blue Line?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

robix smash posted:

The Thin Blue Line?

Ohh yes. Give me more Morris.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

robix smash posted:

The Thin Blue Line?

That is a desperate-looking lion.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Some more Amazon deals

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blu-Ray.com has a review up for Eraserhead:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Eraserhead-Blu-ray/69019/#Screenshots

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

For the TV calibration alone, this is going to be my next buy come whatever sale comes up next.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Eraserhead Criterion may possibly be my most anticipated blu-ray release ever. I'm glad to see they did a great job on it.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

With a few exceptions like Dune, I think Lynch supervises transfers whenever possible. He even oversees new sound mixes that work best for home theaters. One of the unusual things about his self-released Eraserhead DVD is that the actual MPEG2 encode was created directly from the restored HD files. Usually an SD master would be created from the HD on Digibeta and that is compressed. The only other DVDs I've read about that had that applied were Criterion's first Brakhage set and Fantoma's Kenneth Anger discs.

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012
Hey, has Criterion announced any future Eclipse releases? I've been looking into them and planning to buy some, and I would like to know if there are any more coming up before the end of the year / or in early next year.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

P-Zombie posted:

Hey, has Criterion announced any future Eclipse releases? I've been looking into them and planning to buy some, and I would like to know if there are any more coming up before the end of the year / or in early next year.

It's probably dead between nearly all of the Eclipse films being on their Hulu channel and opting to just do multi-feature sets in the main line. They intended Eclipse to be a clearing house for films that either didn't have good enough transfers for mainline releases or couldn't come up with enough extras. Then they ended up making a lot of sets into mainline releases.

Part of the problem is when films finally did get better transfers. The Raymond Bernard set is obsolete with Pathe's 4K restorations of Les Miserables and Wooden Crosses. The Love Parade should have been a mainline release rather than just part of the Lubitsch Musicals set (which is still excellent). And some were disappointed by the Robert Downey Sr. set losing extras on previous releases, not to mention they shot new interviews anyways.

P-Zombie
Sep 6, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

It's probably dead between nearly all of the Eclipse films being on their Hulu channel and opting to just do multi-feature sets in the main line. They intended Eclipse to be a clearing house for films that either didn't have good enough transfers for mainline releases or couldn't come up with enough extras. Then they ended up making a lot of sets into mainline releases.

Part of the problem is when films finally did get better transfers. The Raymond Bernard set is obsolete with Pathe's 4K restorations of Les Miserables and Wooden Crosses. The Love Parade should have been a mainline release rather than just part of the Lubitsch Musicals set (which is still excellent). And some were disappointed by the Robert Downey Sr. set losing extras on previous releases, not to mention they shot new interviews anyways.

Ahh, I see. I guess it isn't that bad, if these films are going on to get better releases. Are there any sets still worth getting, then? When Horror Came To Shochiku looks delightful.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like The Man Who Fell to Earth is back with Criterion and it's getting a reprint in February.

I'm guessing StudioCanal is done with Lionsgate considering their edition was a bare-bones Amazon CreateSpace DVD-R...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like The Man Who Fell to Earth is back with Criterion and it's getting a reprint in February.

I'm guessing StudioCanal is done with Lionsgate considering their edition was a bare-bones Amazon CreateSpace DVD-R...
Well that's good news for a lot of people. Maybe I should sell my copy now...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I will wait to sell mine to see if the blu ray comes with the book

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Question about Shoah: is there an ideal way to break the film up into two or three hour sections in order to watch over the course of several evenings?

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Lanzmann deliberately doesn't follow a traditional narrative structure, so stopping wherever you feel comfortable won't break the "flow" of the movie. That being said, I recommend that you try to watch the movie in as few sittings as possible as its power lies in witnessing a sheer emotional panorama. And for what it's worth, the DVD edition divided the movie into four discs, each one alternating between 2 and a half hours and 2 hours. You might try watching in that way, but I don't know if Criterion was making a deliberate cinematic choice in dividing it in that manner.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

You teases :argh:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Here's a tease of that tease.

Guy Maddin's My Winnipeg

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Safe
Time Bandits
The Night Porter
Eclipse Series 41: Kinoshita and World War II

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I feel... safe... blind-buying this film.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I was promised Guy Maddin what is this bullshit :argh:

That said I'm looking forward to upgrading Time Bandits.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Haven't seen Time Bandits in years. Might have to pick the Blu-Ray up now.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Gilliam has always left me cold. :saddowns:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Safe - top 100 movie, definite purchase. Glad they rustled up some new extras, although the commentary is pretty good on its own. Not loving the cover, but it's better than the old DVD.

Time Bandits - meh

The Night Porter - I really hated this when I saw it, but that was like 13-14 years ago. Probably won't give it another look, though

Kinoshita - nice to see Eclipse is back. I like the Kinoshita I've seen so far, but only Twenty-Four Eyes has really stood out. Criterion has a ton of his stuff on Hulu, so I'll probably check that out first before deciding if I need this.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If you don't like Time Bandits I'm pretty sure that makes you Hitler

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Yeah, I guess this'll be the third time I've bought Time Bandits.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Hopefully this upcoming Time Bandits Bluray will have better picture quality than whatever my last copy of it was (Anchor Bay? Image?) that was so poor I just threw the thing away after watching it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

The Time Dissolver posted:

Hopefully this upcoming Time Bandits Bluray will have better picture quality than whatever my last copy of it was (Anchor Bay? Image?) that was so poor I just threw the thing away after watching it.

That release is 1080i, so being worse or not better than that release would be quite a feat.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
It's probably going to use the same transfer as the really good one that Arrow put out.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Time Dissolver posted:

It's Criterion, so you can pretty mush assume it'll look better than anything else out there.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

caiman posted:

It's Criterion, so you can pretty mush assume it'll look better than anything else out there.

Eh... most of the time. But that kind of blind loyalty can lead you astray (Thin Red Line, The Leopard, and M come immediately to mind).

Speaking of M... a weird issue with some 2010 Criterion BDs has come to light recently, specifically for M, Walkabout, Days of Heaven, and Summer Hours (and potentially Pierrot le fou, Seventh Seal, and Lola Montes, depending on how much weight you give anecdotal reports - the other 4 are much more widespread). Basically, there seems to be some chemical reaction taking place where, over time, the disc's read surface (the bottom) is turning brown-ish, resulting in freezing and skipping discs. No real word from Criterion, they just seem to be offering to replace discs on a case-by-case basis as if this was just a single bad disc here and there, and not a systemic problem from at least some whole batches of discs as it is now starting to appear...

More info here: http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13376 (starts in 2010, but people have been actively posting in that thread again since this August).

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

I think M looks fine, so people debate that, but stuff restored from Pathé has looked like garbage lately, which includes Children of Paradise, Les Visiteurs du Soir, and I hear Earrings of Madame de isn't look so good either.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Eh... most of the time. But that kind of blind loyalty can lead you astray (Thin Red Line, The Leopard, and M come immediately to mind).

Speaking of M... a weird issue with some 2010 Criterion BDs has come to light recently, specifically for M, Walkabout, Days of Heaven, and Summer Hours (and potentially Pierrot le fou, Seventh Seal, and Lola Montes, depending on how much weight you give anecdotal reports - the other 4 are much more widespread). Basically, there seems to be some chemical reaction taking place where, over time, the disc's read surface (the bottom) is turning brown-ish, resulting in freezing and skipping discs. No real word from Criterion, they just seem to be offering to replace discs on a case-by-case basis as if this was just a single bad disc here and there, and not a systemic problem from at least some whole batches of discs as it is now starting to appear...

More info here: http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13376 (starts in 2010, but people have been actively posting in that thread again since this August).

Dang. I'll have to keep an eye on my copy of Walkabout.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I'll have to keep an eye on my copy of Pierrot le Fou :smuggo:

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I just looked at the bottom of Days of Heaven and it's going brown around the inner ring.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So the browning is only an issue if you bought one of those releases in 2010? Are those releases safe to buy now?

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Slate Action posted:

So the browning is only an issue if you bought one of those releases in 2010? Are those releases safe to buy now?

Unknown. There's no way to know whether a disc you buy today is just an unsold copy from the first pressing, nor whether the entire first pressing was really affected or just some percentage. Someone said they ordered a new copy of Summer Hours after their first disc started skipping, and that new copy was also defective. Summer Hours is presumably the least popular out of that group of discs, so there'd be the highest chance of running into a first pressing vs. subsequent pressings, but it's just really tough to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercaptopropyl
Sep 16, 2006

I can be framed easier than Whistler's Mother
Weird. That happened with my copy of Pierrot le fou on DVD, but it doesn't make sense that the DVD's would have the same problem. I thought I must have done something to it at some point and still do, but now I'm curious.