Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

We seem to have a lot of complex or unusual games lately so why not have a really simple bread and butter mafia game. I was going to make this game flavourless but I have just now, while typing this sentence, decided to make it bread and butter flavoured. Bread is town because they're BASIC but RELIABLE, butter is scum because they're COOL but BAD FOR YOU. This game is for 9 players.

If you've never played mafia this wiki is a good starting place for information. Basically you lie to people/figure out who's lying depending on what role you get. This set up is very newbie friendly so don't be afraid to sign up. I'm also eager to answer any questions you might have about the game.

Anyway this is an F11 which means I will roll a genuine four sided die and based on the result I will use one of these set ups:

Each one has an equal chance of happening. There will not be any roles that are not listed here. If you're unfamiliar with the roles, I've included links to the relevant articles explaining each role.

RULES

• No editing your posts.
  • No talking OOT unless you are able to do so.
  • Don't post your role PM.
  • Don't spectator-post.
  • Don't post after hammers or daykills.
  • Don't post after dying.
  • Don't encrypt your posts, make Toxx clauses, or play Truth or Dare.
  • Don't lurk. I will tell you if I don't think you're posting enough.
  • Don't go against the spirit of the game. The spirit of the game is inviting and fun.
  • :sun: Be nice! :sun:

Once the game starts you will receive one of these Role PMs:

Vanilla Town posted:

You are BLAND and BREAD ALIGNED. You're on the good side but you have no special powers

Cop posted:

You are a BREAD ALIGNED COP. You're on the good side and you have a special power. Every NIGHT you can INVESTIGATE a player and you will find out if they are BREAD or BUTTER

Doctor posted:

You are a BREAD ALIGNED DOCTOR. You're on the good side and you have a special power. Every NIGHT you can PROTECT a player and they cannot be KILLED that night.

Mafia Goon posted:

You are BLAND and BUTTER ALIGNED. You're on the bad side but you have no special powers. Your BUTTER BUD is _______ and every NIGHT the two of you can pick one player to KILL.

Mafia Roleblocker posted:

You are a BUTTER ALIGNED ROLEBLOCKER. You're on the bad side and you have a special power. Every NIGHT you can BLOCK one player and they will be unable to do their regular action. You BUTTER BUD is _______ and every NIGHT the two of you can pick one player to KILL.

Player List
  1. Adus
  2. Met
  3. Murmur Twin
  4. Propaganda Machine
  5. soscannonballs
  6. Strong Mouse
  7. The Carpet Shark
  8. Mr. Maltose
  9. TwelveBaud

DAY ONE
DAY TWO

sign-ups closed.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:
Hello I would like to join this game.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I've always wanted to try Mafia and this seems like the thread to do it. Sign me up if there is room?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Mills posted:

I've always wanted to try Mafia and this seems like the thread to do it. Sign me up if there is room?
This but with self-awareness.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Sep 7, 2014

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
I've played one before, so this sounds nice.

No PMs so words

Strong Mouse fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 7, 2014

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've got your email if you want to edit it out

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Its about time for my yearly mafia game so sign me up. I have PMs.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'll join in if you need to fill a slot.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Looks fun. Lemme in :buddy:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Added Carpet Shark, Strong Mouse and soscannonballs. I'm not putting world mafia champion and only heart player Mills in this game. PM and Magres are on the waiting list.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:toot:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Also I did a background check on met because I wasn't sure if he was new or not and he appears to be new so he's in as well.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MildManeredManikin posted:

Also I did a background check on met because I wasn't sure if he was new or not and he appears to be new so he's in as well.

New-ish on SA. Not overall.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Heavy lies the crown.

TwelveBaud
Jun 6, 2011

Waitlist me, coach

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, my Mafia Career is pretty dang brief. I'm down.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TwelveBaud posted:

Waitlist me, coach

With only 10 games under your belt, you can go in right away!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, my Mafia Career is pretty dang brief. I'm down.

You've got to post in this one though my friend.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

MildManeredManikin posted:

You've got to post in this one though my friend.

It stings! Mostly because it is true. In the interest of full disclosure, five days a week I spend the mafia prime hours of 12-10pm Central Time in a closed work environment so I will be primarily be lateposting or earlyposting. But this game I will be posting!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's fine, it's a bit awkward when other people aren't online but we've had a lot of Australians and unemployed insomniacs successfully play so as long as you can :justpost: when you're online it should be fine.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
okay what the hell let's do this

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Alright, PMach promised me she would play this if I convinced Adus to join this game so I'm adding her to the list too.

Also with that the list is full. I have one more reserved slot I'm saving for somebody but if they do not want to play Poison Mushroom will be in the game instead. I have a few replacements in mind if we need them.

We should be beginning Monday afternoon. I'll reiterate some of my expectations for the players and then send out role PMs.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Murmur Twin has confirmed her reserved slot and is in this game. Poison Mushroom, you're first replacement.

So with that the game is afoot. I have rolled my genuine four sided die, picked a set up and have assigned roles. I'll send out your Role PMs shortly.

These aren't normally rules in Mafia but for my game I'd appreciate if you:

• Don't Lurk - If you have less posts than me and votefinder do combined at the end of the first day you're probably lurking.
  • Don't relentlessly shitpost - This just means don't be aggressively unhelpful and refuse to talk about the game.
  • Don't be a dick - Self explanatory, exercise self control here people.

I doubt the last two will come up, and I will PM anybody I think might not be following these with a reminder about it. I'm not going to modkill or replace people for these. These guidelines are just here to make the game more enjoyable for everybody involved.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Good luck newbies. Go fight win~ :neckbeard:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ask the hard questions! Or, if you're Mafia, don't actually ask the hard questions, but make everyone think you are! :munch:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Alright Role PMs are out, no more spectator posting until the game is done please.

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
Let's get this party Started!

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Not Voting (9): Adus, Met, Mr. Maltose, Murmur Twin, Propaganda Machine, soscannonballs, Strong Mouse, The Carpet Shark, TwelveBaud

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to lynch. There is currently no deadline set.

Today's discussion topic is:

What is the best bread you have had?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
The best bread I've ever had?

A really good French Sourdough when I was in San Fancisco a few years ago. That was an amazing loaf of bread.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:
Confirmed.

Falling in line with my motto 'if it ain't smothered in garlic, I won't eat it', my best bread is a soft garlic bread with a hard crust.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
confirmed

and bread without a nice crisp crust is not bread at all

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Confirming that I got my role pm. Bagels with cream cheese are my favorite.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
interesting point about boiled bread. i'll have to think about it.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
confirmed

are bagels really bread, though? they're some sort of mutant amalgamation as far as i'm concerned.

cinnamon raisin. king bagel.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Adus posted:

are bagels really bread, though? they're some sort of mutant amalgamation as far as i'm concerned.

scum spotted

TwelveBaud
Jun 6, 2011

Confirming :420:

TwelveBaud
Jun 6, 2011

Realtalk: For most of my life my favorite bread has been Pepperidge Farm Sandwich White; cinnamon raisin was far too rare to be memorable, rye was too bitter, sourdough was too crisp and chewy, and wheat and pump were so dry your mouth would be mummified afterwards. Ironically, I thought Wonderbread was terrible too: it was like playpen foam until it got squished into a sticky, gooey putty ball. Yeeeck!

As I've gotten older and both my tastes and the tastes of bakers have changed, I've been able to accept a much broader variety of breads. I'm now having as my main sandwich bread some stone-ground 100% whole wheat. While it does have a slightly harsher, woodier taste than white, it's bland and inoffensive, and it's now just as moist and structurally sound. Rye's still too bitter in the general case, mostly due to the caraway seeds rather than the grain itself, but pumpernickel is A-OK when paired with a good meat, and I can now tear into crispy sourdough without issue. (Cinnamon raisin is still too rare to be memorable, but at least now I can buy my own loaves when I crave it!)

🍞

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
About and awake. Let's do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
i bought wonder bread when it was on sale once and it was moldy within two days.

• Locked thread