Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

precision posted:

Why do people even slap that poo poo on South Park anyway? I haven't loved the show, ever, outside of the standout episodes (Scott Tenorman, anything with Butters), but it rarely actually pulls "the truth is in the middle", what it usually tries to say is "the truth is that both sides should think about each other a little more because you're just butting heads instead of actually trying to change anyone's mind".

So when it comes to south park's reputation you're saying the truth... is in the middle?

Anyways South Park loving sucks aside from like 3 episodes every season which don't cause they loving own. Do they own enough to make up for scouwering through the boring poo poo? Hard to say. The fact they usually write the episodes the week they air isn't something to be proud of when it shows so blatantly in the final cut. But when they come into the writing room with inspiration it really shows and reminds you how funny they can be when they give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

precision posted:

Why do people even slap that poo poo on South Park anyway? I haven't loved the show, ever, outside of the standout episodes (Scott Tenorman, anything with Butters), but it rarely actually pulls "the truth is in the middle", what it usually tries to say is "the truth is that both sides should think about each other a little more because you're just butting heads instead of actually trying to change anyone's mind".

I don't really like those episodes much, but only because they're rarely funny. The Richard Dawkins one was pretty good though.

Because when you're telling, say, both the KKK and the NAACP to "stop butting heads", that's equating a murderous hate group with a legitimate, benevolent social justice organization (respectively, obvs) and that's really loving awful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DoctorWhat posted:

Because when you're telling, say, both the KKK and the NAACP to "stop butting heads", that's equating a murderous hate group with a legitimate, benevolent social justice organization (respectively, obvs) and that's really loving awful.

No, I agree with you about the episodes where one side is really incredibly awful and the other one isn't. I mean, I agree with what you're saying here. But there are a lot more episodes where both sides aren't literal Hitler, like the whole "that song were America" episode.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I'm on episode 4, season 2 of Person Of Interest and I absolutely have to ask: Does Jim Caveziel ever receive proper stunt fight training? The hand to hand combat is always so painful because of the editing/stunt double work. I initially thought it was because Caveziel's heart really wasn't into it but after the show found an audience and got renewed I expected him to put forth some effort. I guess he didn't, or maybe he's just one of those actors that has terrible rhythm and can't do convincing fisticuffs. Or getting stuck by lighting sent his insurance through the roof.

EDIT: I just remembered the rumor that he can't remember his lines. That would explain why he couldn't do any kind of complex stunt training.

CV 64 Fan fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 7, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

James Woods Fan posted:

I'm on episode 4, season 2 of Person Of Interest and I absolutely have to ask: Does Jim Caveziel ever receive proper stunt fight training? The hand to hand combat is always so painful because of the editing/stunt double work. I initially thought it was because Caveziel's heart really wasn't into it but after the show found an audience and got renewed I expected him to put forth some effort. I guess he didn't, or maybe he's just one of those actors that has terrible rhythm and can't do convincing fisticuffs. Or getting stuck by lighting sent his insurance through the roof.

EDIT: I just remembered the rumor that he can't remember his lines. That would explain why he couldn't do any kind of complex stunt training.

Around halfway through s2, and all the way through s3 the show shifts to an ensemble dynamic instead of having Caviziel be the leading man and it gets an order of magnitude better as a result. Especially once they bring Sarah Shahi as a regular.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I wish a good actor would die for a change so we could get some decent movies on Netflix.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 7, 2014

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

savinhill posted:

I think people got mad at Lost cuz the writers always said in interviews that everything was carefully planned from the get go, and it was obvious that the exact opposite was true after all was said and done.

To be fair that could a truer statement than people think, but they lost a shitload of people they didn't expect to lose. I mean Mr Eko was expected to have this big role as a counterpoint to Locke that went absolutely nowhere because they lost the actor, so they had to completely flip that around. It's not like they could just recast the role. That, and there were things they tried that just...failed to hit. And any time you get a kid actor in a role that is expected to stretch time so that years pass while the show covers weeks, that is pretty loving stupid. And on and on. So there is every chance they had a tighter plotted story than the one they ended up making.....that just doesn't mean very much to the product we got in the end.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Boogaleeboo posted:

To be fair that could a truer statement than people think, but they lost a shitload of people they didn't expect to lose.

"It was always about the characters!!!"

Sure, some things changed, most things didn't. They made it all up as it went along and lied about having it planned.

EDIT: Speaking of shows that we're always about the characters and ended perfectly, Friday Night Lights. I just started a rewatch and its perfect.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 7, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I bet they had everything planned then someone on the internet guessed the ending and they went "oh poo poo can't do that now" like dummies and everything went to hell.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

I bet they had everything planned then someone on the internet guessed the ending and they went "oh poo poo can't do that now" like dummies and everything went to hell.

This got me thinking; we all like to speculate on our TV show plots, and with the sheer number of people around the world that do, statistically there are bound to be some pretty freakishly spot-on predictions made at some point. What are some of the best/most accurate, seemingly telepathic calls people have ever made or seen made? Maybe sometimes years in advance.

e: my best one recently was watching Outrageous Fortune (if you like Shameless YOU MUST WATCH THIS!) and about halfway through the series I thought to myself (last season spoiler) Judd and Pascalle are going to end up together aren't they... which turned out to be correct.

Not sure how much confirmation bias plays a part here since I don't remember how many failed predictions I made.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 7, 2014

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

What show started the trend of "calling it now!" in threads? The first I seem to remember is in old 24 threads when everyone was trying to guess who's the mole this season

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It wasn't a specific show, it was more readily available spoilers. A lot of people 'calling it now' do it to make themselves seem prescient, for some reason.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fateo McMurray posted:

The actual ending was closer to what people were predicting in season 1 than any of the things people started predicting as the show went on. Which is ironic or something.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Fateo McMurray posted:

Nah, they have a rough idea of where they were going. The show was always going to have that end it had, it just wasn't very good. Personally I have bigger issues with the final season than I do with the ending. It's largely nonsense and just seems like they're biding time until they can wrap it up, which is odd considering much was made of the fact that they asked for a final air date.

I think the show answers more than people think it does, but in the decision to serve plot or character they go with character, without trying to blend the two.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The show was always going to end with Jack punching Locke to save the world and that nonsense in the church?

Well, poo poo, its worse than I thought. I think I'd prefer that people thought I made it all up.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Just watched that episode of You're The Worst people keep talking about. It was alright :shobon: (with a few great moments).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PriorMarcus posted:

The show was always going to end with Jack punching Locke to save the world and that nonsense in the church?

Well, poo poo, its worse than I thought. I think I'd prefer that people thought I made it all up.

For me at least, the worst sin of seasons 4-6 of Lost were that they went to almost ludicrous lengths to both explicitly and implicitly tell the audience that everything that's been happening actually makes sense and is even based on things like math and physics. And then they said "Haha, nope, forget all that".

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Oh man you loving lost whiners shut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z36Xadupn5c

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Fooz posted:

Lost spent years setting up its ending.

When Always Sunny ends, just throw it in the trash!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYTtu-6tMM8

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's been said a lot of places a lot of times, but Lost really hosed people up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

pentyne posted:

THANK YOU!

edit: Although its now impossible to find for viewing anywhere.

Well that sucks, because now I feel like I have to see this show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's been said a lot of places a lot of times, but Lost really hosed people up.

It also did a lot of damage to TV show discussion because if you have no opinion about it, other people talking about it can be really obnoxious. It's like when people talk about BSG for me. I just scroll past it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

It wasn't a specific show, it was more readily available spoilers. A lot of people 'calling it now' do it to make themselves seem prescient, for some reason.

Yeah, people in the GoT threads like to pretend they're making a prediction when they've read the books.

But that's more to be assholes than to seem clever, I assume.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, people in the GoT threads like to pretend they're making a prediction when they've read the books.

But that's more to be assholes than to seem clever, I assume.

Those people are really obvious too, because they can't help but reveal too much. It's not "I got a bad feeling about X", it's "I got a bad feeling about X because I think they're going to go to Westeros and meet Stannis and then...". I don't get the 'I know more than you mentality'.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

Those people are really obvious too, because they can't help but reveal too much. It's not "I got a bad feeling about X", it's "I got a bad feeling about X because I think they're going to go to Westeros and meet Stannis and then...". I don't get the 'I know more than you mentality'.

I'm sure they don't understand the gleeful ignorance show watchers have embraced, either. There are literally people on this board who have spent more time browsing and posting in the GoT threads than it would have taken them to read the books. If you like the show so much, stop wearing stupidity as a badge of honor and pick up a goddamn book.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also in the GOT thread people like to be clever and for example if someone is going to get their foot cut off and then fed to them, some poster will livepost something like "Insert foot in mouth, haha" when that character says something stupid.

The more I think about it, the more GOT threads are basically FYAD with a coherent narrative.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
And that is why I avoid GOT threads on the internet period. Don't care there are books, just want to enjoy the show as it stands.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I'm sure they don't understand the gleeful ignorance show watchers have embraced, either. There are literally people on this board who have spent more time browsing and posting in the GoT threads than it would have taken them to read the books. If you like the show so much, stop wearing stupidity as a badge of honor and pick up a goddamn book.

They're not good books. They don't even have pictures.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fateo McMurray posted:

What show started the trend of "calling it now!" in threads? The first I seem to remember is in old 24 threads when everyone was trying to guess who's the mole this season

[DW SPOILERS, OCCUPATION DON'T READ THIS!!!]
EVERY RIVER COMES FROM A POND, DOCTOR

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

That really was just a silly guess though.

we could've put practically the same thing up about Blue and Pink. But would it be a spoiler? :iiam:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ed: it's not worth it

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 7, 2014

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

precision posted:

For me at least, the worst sin of seasons 4-6 of Lost were that they went to almost ludicrous lengths to both explicitly and implicitly tell the audience that everything that's been happening actually makes sense and is even based on things like math and physics. And then they said "Haha, nope, forget all that".

Where are the rest of these comics? I remember really loving them, despite the fact I largely love the end of LOST. They're just really, really funny, and Smug Jacob is adorable.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My life has been so much better since I stopped caring about the GoT threads.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Now that it's finished I'm catching up and the first episode of Rectify is... Not as good as I remember it being? It feels off somehow, like its a little too fast paced and everyone is suddenly speaking like Daniel, with a contemplative edge.

I still enjoyed it, but I feels like it stumbled a little between seasons. Also, one characters return was a little disappointing. I'm hoping they have the good mind to know when to stop using him.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Rectify S2 picks up later.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
I won't lie, these are pretty great.

I'm on my first runthrough of :lost: and I'm loving it so far. Just finished season 3. I'm watching it without all the external media and fan predictions and other nonsense, so I think my perspective of the show might vary significantly from those who watched it live. I'm going in with no external influences, no idea of what's going to happen, nor any expectations of the show's ending to be good or bad (though I've heard opinions from both sides).

One of the biggest themes going on right now (as of season 3) is this idea of good and evil, and a subversion of traditional portrayals of this theme. Instead of a basic outline of the good guys and the bad guys, you're given two groups who fight amongst each other. One is a group of survivors, some of whom are murderers. The other group is very secretive, whose true motives are unknown, though they claim to be "good". Ultimately, each group makes transgressions against normal morals but neither appears to actually be outright evil. Essentially every action taken is a gray area, and good and evil are merely extremes. Yes, the others are kidnapping women, but they're also monitoring them to figure out a way to save them.

Ultimately, I think it's a great show because it doesn't just portray another caricature of protagonists and antagonists. Everyone is just improvising; sometimes it ends up being a mistake, sometimes it works out. But not a single character in this show appears to be beyond redemption. [except Ana Lucia]

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did there end up being any truth to the story that Ana Lucia was written out of the show because Michelle Rodriguez got busted for drunk driving? I remember that being tossed around for quite a while in the episode threads.

Also Desmond fondled a stranger on the bus or something very unDesmondlike.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fooz posted:

I don't care, there is no meaning to life anymore. Just get in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zt2UgT6MO4

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

I don't care, there is no meaning to life anymore. Just get in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zt2UgT6MO4

I love the Fat Mac stuff. It was all just because Rob McElhenney thought it would be funny if Mac gained 60 pounds. So he actually gained a bunch of weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just from the introduction Utopia looks like the dumbest thing ever. In a good way.

• Locked thread