Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Ghostpilot posted:

All are eclipsed by the greasy shadow that is:

Can I get some back story on this? I've seen it discussed, but I don't know from what show, what was the context, etc?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Can I get some back story on this? I've seen it discussed, but I don't know from what show, what was the context, etc?

Thanks.

For the first few masterchef seasons they did auditions, American Idol style, where shlubs would come in, prepare a dish, then get criticized by the 3. If they were going to get on the show, they'd also go through a godawful segment about the hardships in their life.

First season, that dude came in, and then Gordon tried to drain the oil from those potatoes. They did not pass their audition.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Davros1 posted:

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyRwMSMdWcU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Those funeral potatoes make me think of what would happen if my mother tried to get on one of these shows. She was so bad that I learned to cook as a kid as a survival technique. She is firmly in the running for the worst cook on earth.

Last week she tried to make scrambled eggs. She lacked milk so she used Coffeemate.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Those funeral potatoes make me think of what would happen if my mother tried to get on one of these shows. She was so bad that I learned to cook as a kid as a survival technique. She is firmly in the running for the worst cook on earth.

Last week she tried to make scrambled eggs. She lacked milk so she used Coffeemate.

Hmm, I just use water, but that's me, I guess.

I'm the same way though, I learned to cook for the same reasons, my mother can burn water.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SpannerX posted:

I'm the same way though, I learned to cook for the same reasons, my mother can burn water.

Milk or water work fine for scrambled eggs, though you wind up with a different texture and it comes down to preference. I'd use water if I was just doing egg whites but use whole milk for the whole thing and that's just how I prefer things. Coffeemate, on the other hand, is right out.

I recall there being some cooking show about "the worst cooks in [location]" (I think it was UK and America but who knows if there were others). I wonder if that was watchable...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

It's a midwest thing and, yes, there really are people who think that's the height of cuisine.

American cuisine is a bit odd. Along the coasts you get some great regional seafood, the big cities have high class restaurants, New Orleans has a fantastically diverse culinary tradition, certain regions in the south/midwest are known for their phenomenal bbq, but in between you get people who are raised on vegetables cooked to a mush, spam/mayo sandwiches, and extremely heavy casserole dishes. Also, those people sometimes consider Olive Garden to be a place of fine dining. The first Olive Garden that opened near Blacksburg, VA had locals initially showing up dressed in full suits and formal wear while the local college students just wore jeans and t shirts.

It's pretty telling when the vast majority of Masterchef Junior contestants are from either New York or California. The only outsider was from NJ.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 6, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

pentyne posted:

American cuisine is a bit odd. Along the coasts you get some great regional seafood, the big cities have high class restaurants, New Orleans has a fantastically diverse culinary tradition, certain regions in the south/midwest are known for their phenomenal bbq, but in between you get people who are raised on vegetables cooked to a mush, spam/mayo sandwiches, and extremely heavy casserole dishes.
Hey, Mangia Mangia!'s gotta make money somehow.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Milk or water work fine for scrambled eggs, though you wind up with a different texture and it comes down to preference. I'd use water if I was just doing egg whites but use whole milk for the whole thing and that's just how I prefer things. Coffeemate, on the other hand, is right out.

I recall there being some cooking show about "the worst cooks in [location]" (I think it was UK and America but who knows if there were others). I wonder if that was watchable...

I saw a show like this. Someone boiled a chicken and put some processed cheese slices on it.

Just the whole chicken sitting on a plate with 2-3 cheese slices.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

pentyne posted:

American cuisine is a bit odd. Along the coasts you get some great regional seafood, the big cities have high class restaurants, New Orleans has a fantastically diverse culinary tradition, certain regions in the south/midwest are known for their phenomenal bbq, but in between you get people who are raised on vegetables cooked to a mush, spam/mayo sandwiches, and extremely heavy casserole dishes. Also, those people sometimes consider Olive Garden to be a place of fine dining. The first Olive Garden that opened near Blacksburg, VA had locals initially showing up dressed in full suits and formal wear while the local college students just wore jeans and t shirts.

It's pretty telling when the vast majority of Masterchef Junior contestants are from either New York or California. The only outsider was from NJ.

If I remember right, on the commentary for a South Park episode, they talked about how an Olive Garden opened out of an old bank and they were amazing how this was "really real authentic Italian."

But America probably put a heavier emphasis on processed, frozen and fast foods over the years. Our parents growing up on TV dinners and whatever bizarre concoction of salmon and Jell-O that the magazines decided was a good idea.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think people who can't cook anything are just lazy. Its not hard to be able to cook a weeks worth of "ok" dinners.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

pentyne posted:

Also, those people sometimes consider Olive Garden to be a place of fine dining. The first Olive Garden that opened near Blacksburg, VA had locals initially showing up dressed in full suits and formal wear while the local college students just wore jeans and t shirts.

I spent a couple of years living in southwest Georgia. When it was announced that Olive Garden would be building a restaurant, it was literally front-page, above-the-fold news in the local paper. I never drove by close enough to take a look, but I have little doubt that there were people getting dressed up in the exact same way. :smith:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Beef Hardcheese posted:

I spent a couple of years living in southwest Georgia. When it was announced that Olive Garden would be building a restaurant, it was literally front-page, above-the-fold news in the local paper. I never drove by close enough to take a look, but I have little doubt that there were people getting dressed up in the exact same way. :smith:
This is a genuine pet peeve of mine. I know a dozen people from my old neighbourhood (Augusta/Rockingham counties area of Virginia) who think that the single most important landmark their town could acquire is an Olive Garden.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We call Olive Garden "Dago Denny's".

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Olive Garden can never approach the extreme classiness of Red Lobster. Now there's a fancy outing.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

SpannerX posted:

Philistine. :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

This actually does result in really good scrambled eggs, even if you use milk like I do. (Though I am going to go all fancy and use creme fraiche next time I make scrambled eggs.)

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Ghostpilot posted:

All are eclipsed by the greasy shadow that is:

Those are some appropriate captions.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Halloween Jack posted:

This is a genuine pet peeve of mine. I know a dozen people from my old neighbourhood (Augusta/Rockingham counties area of Virginia) who think that the single most important landmark their town could acquire is an Olive Garden.

Staunton, Virginia is a great little town with some wonderful restaurants. I'd imagine Harrisonburg has some decent places, too. It bothers me that people need the known quantity of a franchise like Olive Garden while turning up their noses at much better establishments.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

You people with your fancy Olive Gardens. My town is highly anticipating the opening of a Subway.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I just saw a commercial for the new season of Hell's Kitchen, and thought, "Wow, a new one already? They just ended the last one at the end of July."

Then at the end I saw when it premieres - this Wednesday.

Are they totally strapped for programming or what? Also, apparently there will be a Halloween special, a Thanksgiving special, the 200th episode special, and the finale will be a Christmas special airing on December 24th.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Anne Whateley posted:

Olive Garden can never approach the extreme classiness of Red Lobster. Now there's a fancy outing.

At least once a year I get dragged to Red Lobster. I will freely admit that on those trips I eat way more of those biscuits than I ever should.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

OmegaBR posted:

I just saw a commercial for the new season of Hell's Kitchen, and thought, "Wow, a new one already? They just ended the last one at the end of July."

Then at the end I saw when it premieres - this Wednesday.

Are they totally strapped for programming or what? Also, apparently there will be a Halloween special, a Thanksgiving special, the 200th episode special, and the finale will be a Christmas special airing on December 24th.

Wait, what?

Holy crap, you're right. HK is perhaps my favorite of :ramsay:'s US shows but even that is too soon for me.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I'll tune into HK, because I completely ignored this past season so I'm fresh.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LLCoolJD posted:

Staunton, Virginia is a great little town with some wonderful restaurants. I'd imagine Harrisonburg has some decent places, too. It bothers me that people need the known quantity of a franchise like Olive Garden while turning up their noses at much better establishments.

A lot of these small towns and regions usually have some really good local restaurants and eateries but because its a local thing, no one sees it as "fine dining" even if the food would blow the mind of any high minded city dweller passing through.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
gently caress yeah new hell's kitchen. MY BODY IS READY.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Writer Cath posted:

You missed nothing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Random Stranger posted:

You people with your fancy Olive Gardens. My town is highly anticipating the opening of a Subway.
I have nothing against Subway. In some parts of the country, Subway probably is the closest some people get to eating fresh.

LLCoolJD posted:

When I return to my old stomping grounds, I usually get dragged to a chain steakhouse--but if not, nostalgia compels me to eat a bacon cheeseburger at Jess's. Or Log Cabin Barbecue which is legit great.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

OmegaBR posted:

Are they totally strapped for programming or what?
This is it exactly. Fox's programming situation looks pretty dire right now. They gambled three hours of prime time on The X-Factor and lost. With so much time promised to singing competitions Fox had skimped on developing new shows. Now that they have finally seen fit to cancel X-Factor it has left them with a rather big hole to fill. The new shows Fox has debuted recently have mostly failed to deliver, so their most reliable performers are all ancient series like Bones, The Simpsons, Family Guy, and of course the Gordon Ramsay reality shows.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Whoa wait when did all this bullshit with X-Factor happen?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Propaganda Machine posted:

Whoa wait when did all this bullshit with X-Factor happen?

XFUSA had imploding ratings since its debut and last season got so low that Cowell jumped ship and they cancelled it. It's just as well; the show was never good and got worse every year as its budget plummeted and talent pool thinned.

Speaking of which, new HK this Wednesday huh :getin:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

J-Spot posted:

This is it exactly. Fox's programming situation looks pretty dire right now. They gambled three hours of prime time on The X-Factor and lost. With so much time promised to singing competitions Fox had skimped on developing new shows. Now that they have finally seen fit to cancel X-Factor it has left them with a rather big hole to fill. The new shows Fox has debuted recently have mostly failed to deliver, so their most reliable performers are all ancient series like Bones, The Simpsons, Family Guy, and of course the Gordon Ramsay reality shows.
I love Bones, and I'll probably stick around until the bitter end, but it jumped the shark a at least a couple seasons ago. Enlisted had potential, but they hosed up the order of the shows and cancelled it. Almost Human was good too, and they shitcanned it. Meanwhile, bullshit like The Following gets renewed. TWICE. :argh:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Writer Cath posted:

It was so eventful that my DVR failed to record the last two episodes and I didn't bother to see who won and still don't know or care.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I never saw what made X-Factor the least bit unique and worth watching, other than Simon being on it.

FOX is notorious for canning shows, but gracious. Maybe Ramsay will get his Behind Bars USA after all.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

There's 2 hours of MC USA Monday, MC Canada starts on The Cooking Channel and Hotel Hell moves to Tuesday, HK starts on Wednesday, and Kitchen Nightmares starts on Friday. It's going to be a busy week in here.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I thought Kitchen Nightmares was over.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

edit: My DVR says it's on.

quote:

http://www.fox.com/kitchennightmares/
All-New Season Finale Episode FRI 9/8c SEPT 12

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 8, 2014

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

There does appear to be a new revisit episode happening on Friday. It's probably an episode originally intended as a holdover had there been another season.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sweet, one last episode. It's weird that it's premiering months after the last episode, though.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Brooklyn Nine Nine and Sleepy Hollow are good Fox shows. You guys should watch those.

Please watch them so they never get cancelled. Just leave it on and leave the room or something if they don't interest you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't think many of us are Neilsen homes )=

Kitchen Nightmares is my favorite thing that Ramsey does, that's too bad, I didn't know it was canceled. Even the watered down US version still is pretty entertaining. And as pro-Ramsey as I am, the travel channel version of "making fun of these hotel owners" is probably better.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 8, 2014