Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

infernal machines posted:

so the drivers exist now though? and have since like 2013 or so at least? yes?

then why the gently caress aren't they properly packaged and tested for a popular, supposedly user oriented, distro that came out in 2014?

because linux suck rear end at anything related to user experience, or you know, having things work properly without bespoke fuckery

is yours also a 43xx or something else

cuz my whiny story is from like 2005-2006 fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

holy poo poo thats 8-9 years ago im old

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Progressive JPEG posted:

is yours also a 43xx or something else

cuz my whiny story is from like 2005-2006 fyi

yeah, it's a 43xx chipset. the reverse engineered drivers and even official first party broadcom drivers have been around for years

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also lmao not using intel wireless tyool etc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
intel wireless uses firmware tho

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

when i gave fedora a spin literally the only thing that didn't work oob was optimus, and that took about 5 lines of "sudo yum $whatever" and a restart

thinkpad supremacy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
congrats on having to use the command line to fix something that should have worked oob. linux almost doesn't suck in really specific edge cases

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

congrats on having to use the command line to fix something that should have worked oob. linux almost doesn't suck in really specific edge cases

the windows equivalent is needing to load network drivers from the cd that comes with your motherboard in order to download video card drivers and 4.3 gigs of windows updates. sure the command line isn't involved but it's just as much as a gently caress around

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

congrats on having to use $SIMPLE_FIX to fix something that should have worked oob. $YOUR_OS almost doesn't suck in really specific edge cases

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

my stepdads beer posted:

the windows equivalent is needing to load network drivers from the cd that comes with your motherboard in order to download video card drivers and 4.3 gigs of windows updates. sure the command line isn't involved but it's just as much as a gently caress around

Yea its been my experience that if you're building a computer installing Linux is less hassle than installing windows, including using the command line and installing video drivers etc. I don't know if this speaks to Linux being OK or windows being such poo poo that it makes Linux look good in comparison

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Yea its been my experience that if you're building a computer installing Linux is less hassle than installing windows, including using the command line and installing video drivers etc. I don't know if this speaks to Linux being OK or windows being such poo poo that it makes Linux look good in comparison

Except this hasn't been true in years, modern windows is surprisingly bulletproof

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Forums Terrorist posted:

Except this hasn't been true in years, modern windows is surprisingly bulletproof

It was true when I installed windows 7 like 3 years ago. Maybe 8 fixed it lol

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Blue Train posted:

It was true when I installed windows 7 like 3 years ago. Maybe 8 fixed it lol

8 is the same, but you have to use metro at the same time.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

my stepdads beer posted:

actually windows is way worse in cases where your drivers arent on the windows 7 cd

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

thinkpad supremacy

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

windows is designed for pre-built non-upgradable purely disposable computers that have their disks imaged in the factory, any other scenario is a half-assed afterthought

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the win8.1 install that came on my laptop was p poo poo despite being a flagship model, but that's acer and anything not hardware for you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

windows is designed for pre-built non-upgradable purely disposable computers that have their disks imaged in the factory, any other scenario is a half-assed afterthought

what other kind of computers are you buying? the vendor or your it dept. is supposed to handle this poo poo.

the thing about windows is even if you build a diy machine out of salteens and alibaba reject parts it'll still boot to desktop and actually be usable

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the thing about windows is even if you build a diy machine out of salteens and alibaba reject parts it'll still boot to desktop and actually be usable

unless you have to install the bespoke network drivers from the motherboard DVD in order to download working GPU drivers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

unless you have to install the bespoke network drivers from the motherboard DVD in order to download working GPU drivers

even then you'll have a usable desktop with full colour at the native resolution of your display. as opposed to having Xorg poo poo itself and dump you to a command line because it doesn't like your display chipset and the "3rd party" driver didn't install right.

hope you like using linx or wget to dig up your drivers and figure out which bug-of-the-month broke Xorg

bonus points if the 3rd party driver requires a custom kernel that just never boots your system again

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
isn't it still called xfree86 where you're from? also a word of advice, stay out of the world trade center on the 11th, you'll thank me later

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol, i've had that poo poo happen in the last year on hardware that's maybe three years old.

Xorg and linux graphics support is still just as poo poo as every other part of user facing linux.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Every time I've installed Debian Ubuntu and fedora they've all worked fine with nvidia AMD and onboard Intel cards for the last several years. Dunno why you have such bad luck, maybe try again with a better distro or smth

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

most recently i had ubuntu poo poo itself over a mobile quadro chipset in a laptop and fedora just be a PITA about the wireless chipset.

i think the only fully working oob installs i've ever had were in vmaware VMs. which is handy, because i use those more, but also ridiculous

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

no it won't, it'll be running windows

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I've never had a modern linux not work perfectly on my thinkpad. Perhaps you all should use less poo poo computers for your linuxing?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Rahu posted:

I've never had a modern linux not work perfectly on my thinkpad. Perhaps you all should use less poo poo computers for your linuxing?

i though the point of linux was installing it on poo poo computers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

how poo poo are we talking?

does it come with illustrated instructions on disabling the WHQL certification check before you install drivers?

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

just curious has anyone ever gotten a laptop from https://system76.com/?

if so i'd be interested in a trip report

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

syntaxrigger posted:

just get a thinkpad t/x imo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

syntaxrigger posted:

the keyboards on some of the newer models are awful

like, unusably awful.

google the model names before you buy them.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

syntaxrigger posted:

very misleading

with a name like that it should be selling refurbished PowerBooks running System 7

(which will be far more usable than a linux, esp since hypothetically you could cross-compile a modern browser for one with either GCC or clang)

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

syntaxrigger posted:

they are just shitbox laptops from OEMS like clevo/sager that are xX LINUX Xx

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

syntaxrigger posted:

your better off buying a :siren: GAMING LAPTOP :siren: from xoticpc or some poo poo because they'll likely be the same model

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

syntaxrigger posted:

new coworker has one with a hidpi screen, it's nice

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

thanks guys

came across this and I guess it goes here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOxlazS3zs

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Phoenixan posted:

your better off buying a :siren: GAMING LAPTOP :siren: from xoticpc or some poo poo because they'll likely be the same model

this is more or less the idea.

i buy a machine that has pre-chosen hardware that should be no problems for linux then if i decide i hate myself i end up installing windoze

osx would be viable if i didn't feel so pretentious just looking at them

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The husband wife couple that runs System 76 came to talk to us and just ranted incorrect things about secure boot the entire time. They have no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

when i gave fedora a spin literally the only thing that didn't work oob was optimus, and that took about 5 lines of "sudo yum $whatever" and a restart

thinkpad supremacy

To be fair, prime support (yeah, we went there) is something we have wanted to integrate more natively forever. The hard part is doing the policy to determine which apps go on which GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

No, the hard part is transparently migrating apps from one GPU to the other.