Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
The Black Garnet title also sounds promising. I have a feeling one of the garnets will be bad in some way (worth minus points or something?) or there will be a hidden garnet that is important to keeping someone in the competition.

I think it would be cool if it's something along the lines of "whoever has the black garnet in episode X is automatically sent to the elimination challenge" and only the person with the black garnet knows they have it (maybe it shines under a black light or something). That way accepting garnets as bribes suddenly becomes dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Superrodan posted:

The Black Garnet title also sounds promising. I have a feeling one of the garnets will be bad in some way (worth minus points or something?) or there will be a hidden garnet that is important to keeping someone in the competition.

I think it would be cool if it's something along the lines of "whoever has the black garnet in episode X is automatically sent to the elimination challenge" and only the person with the black garnet knows they have it (maybe it shines under a black light or something). That way accepting garnets as bribes suddenly becomes dangerous.

That's...a really cool concept, actually. I'd like to see that.

Very happy about the diversity of this year's cast, seems like a step back towards the lightning-in-a-bottle of season 1. Can someone who's familiar with Korean culture look into some of the contestants?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Really excited for Season 3. The show actually sustained quite a bit of controversy over the course of the 2nd season. I'm interested to see whether the new contestants are more self-conscious of their images, and if this affects the level of betrayals/alliances/deals throughout the season. Some of the people from S2 probably hurt their careers from being on the show.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Ironic Twist posted:

That's...a really cool concept, actually. I'd like to see that.

Yup. I hope it's something like that as well.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Sad to see few familiar faces in there, but since it seems to be mostly non-celebrities hopefully we can avoid an announcers/celebrities vs. everyone else situation like last season, which made things pretty uninteresting at times.

I have a slightly different idea for what the Black Garnet could be. It might be hidden somewhere similar to how the resurrection/life tokens were hidden last season, but it allows you to send someone to the elimination game one time. Even better if you have to sneak that Garnet into their possession and the blacklight idea is in effect, but I suspect that'll be the power. So rather than "Episode X" it's a conscious activation by the person who found it.

Garnet trading being a risk is an idea I really like though.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Dongmin was in the greatest Running Man episode of all time(#13). Okay I've exhausted my knowledge of this year's contestants, hope this helps.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I've heard of Running Man and that it is good, but not what it is about. It sounds really random from what I've heard but is there a high level summary for what Running Man is?

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Superrodan posted:

I've heard of Running Man and that it is good, but not what it is about. It sounds really random from what I've heard but is there a high level summary for what Running Man is?

Running Man is basically seven main cast members and a variety of guests playing games, usually culminating in the big setpiece of the episode: a nametag ripping race. Every cast member has a nametag on the back of their shirts that, if torn off, eliminates them. They change up the game constantly. Some weeks it is a straight battle between teams or a free for all, sometimes it's hide and seek, where the hiding team tries to do a mission while the other team hunts them down in the venue they're at that week. Even when they repeat an idea, they change it up in some way. It's comedy, it's action, it's goofy as hell at points, but it's pretty fun.

It's a very good show, and you might recognize a few faces from The Genius (Sangmin's guest from season 1, HaHa, is a main cast member on Running Man. A few other Genius players show up in the show as well in various episodes). If you need an episode to convince you, episode 13 is probably one of the best they've had in over 200 episodes.

Running Man thread (OP hasn't been updated for ages): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459105

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Where are you guys getting the cast list for season 3? I'd like to check it out, couldn't find it by googling.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

MoosetheMooche posted:

Where are you guys getting the cast list for season 3? I'd like to check it out, couldn't find it by googling.

They're on the translator's twitter.

I'm really bad with Korean names so I guess I'll have to wait till there are pictures before I can even tell if Kcelebs I know and like are on there :shobon:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I also strongly recommend Running Man. I started with Episode 13, and have seen most of the episodes. I still prefer The Genius, but Running Man is a close second as far as Korean shows go, and it definitely has an advantage in how many more episodes it has. I'll add in episode 150 (nametag race with an Avengers theme) and anything with "psychic" in the name as a recommendation as well.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

CHiRAL posted:

They're on the translator's twitter.

I'm really bad with Korean names so I guess I'll have to wait till there are pictures before I can even tell if Kcelebs I know and like are on there :shobon:

I don't think many of them are super famous. The comedian was on early Running Man once (first Yooruce Willis appearance I think), the webtoon guy did a TEDxSeoul talk, the actress has been in a few things but the actor not so much. Most famous is the politician. Probably so they dont get the famous against non-famous bullshit from last season.

He sounds like a real winner "Kang Yong-suk (born December 3, 1969) is a South Korean lawyer and a current non-partisan politician. He is known for expulsion from the Grand National Party due to his negative sexual remarks on women."

"He later sued South Korean comedian Choi Hyo-jong for "disrespecting the National Assembly" in a skit in Gag Concert."

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 7, 2014

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hey guys, so I have been working the last few months putting together a forum game version of The Genius. It will be a mix of old games from the show and new games that I've created.

I'm running it over in Traditional Games and anyone who watches the show is welcome to sign up.

Genius Game Signup Thread

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Xachariah posted:

I don't think many of them are super famous. The comedian was on early Running Man once (first Yooruce Willis appearance I think), the webtoon guy did a TEDxSeoul talk, the actress has been in a few things but the actor not so much. Most famous is the politician. Probably so they dont get the famous against non-famous bullshit from last season.

He sounds like a real winner "Kang Yong-suk (born December 3, 1969) is a South Korean lawyer and a current non-partisan politician. He is known for expulsion from the Grand National Party due to his negative sexual remarks on women."

"He later sued South Korean comedian Choi Hyo-jong for "disrespecting the National Assembly" in a skit in Gag Concert."

He's on Crime Scene so if you want to see what he's like check it out.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Asiina posted:

Hey guys, so I have been working the last few months putting together a forum game version of The Genius. It will be a mix of old games from the show and new games that I've created.

I'm running it over in Traditional Games and anyone who watches the show is welcome to sign up.

That looks awesome, pity about timezones and shift work make it tricky for me to participate. Hope everyone has fun!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

whoa

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTqrK2MeYL4

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCzsX-LqJ-4

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Asiina posted:

I disapprove because I was too late to apply for it. I'll be on the lookout for season 2 though!

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I can only imagine goons starring in The Genius. "Imagine four garnets at the edge of a cliff..."

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
We did Food Chain for the first game and it went rather well I think!

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Asiina posted:

And a certain person Yohwaned big time. The outcome of that game would have been really different otherwise.

Nexal fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 12, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Being unable to read or speak a lick of Korean, I have no idea what any of this is supposed to mean. Context, please?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's the set of puzzles they asked potential candidates. See if you can do the first two: what's the number in the middle, and what's the missing number?

The other two would take me more time to translate. All of them are open-ended.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Asiina posted:

I'll pay closer attention to the Genius thread, hopefully I can get into season 2!

I have a guess at the first puzzle and a certain answer for the second one. That first one's pretty trippy though.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I'm going to guess the second one is 38 just because it would make a full year for the pie chart. I don't know what the breakdowns signify but that's just my thinking.

EDIT: For your answer for the first one is it based at all on the non symmetry of the shapes? Or do you think the shape is independent from the answer?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's open-ended, and the producers care about your thought process than getting the correct answer.

You can see other people's thoughts at the bottom of this page:

http://my.interest.me/content/16708034?folderId=31297995

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

NowonSA posted:

I'll pay closer attention to the Genius thread, hopefully I can get into season 2!

I have a guess at the first puzzle and a certain answer for the second one. That first one's pretty trippy though.

As best as I can tell the lines of 3 numbers all add up to 22 if you put a 6 in the middle, but that doesn't account for the 13 to ? line which would have 2 numbers adding up to 19.

Oh right, hidden line to the 3 opposite 13?

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 13, 2014

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Less than month left for the new season. I think I need to re watch season 1 soon.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, I figured it was either 9 or 6 for the first question.

For the second, and I'll put it in spoilers since I'm more sure of this one:

Assuming an equal circle, both halves need to add up to be equal in size. More likely, it's a pie chart since the numbers don't seem to relate to the size of the segments. Either way, the total numbers on the top half much equal the total on the bottom, or it doesn't make sense as a circle. The top half totals 206. The two given numbers at the bottom total 121. Therefore, 121 + X = 206. Basic algebra means that 206 - 121 = X, so X is 85. .

Interesting that they're open ended without a "right" answer though, I didn't expect that.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I'm completely lost about the first problem.

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I figured it was either 9 or 6 for the first question.

For the second, and I'll put it in spoilers since I'm more sure of this one:

Assuming an equal circle, both halves need to add up to be equal in size. More likely, it's a pie chart since the numbers don't seem to relate to the size of the segments. Either way, the total numbers on the top half much equal the total on the bottom, or it doesn't make sense as a circle. The top half totals 206. The two given numbers at the bottom total 121. Therefore, 121 + X = 206. Basic algebra means that 206 - 121 = X, so X is 85. .

Interesting that they're open ended without a "right" answer though, I didn't expect that.

I thought about 85 but I don't like it very much because I couldn't find any more things that matched this reasoning, like 49 + 64 != 61 + 85.

The font size on the numbers vary for each one, I don't think that's accidental but I couldn't reason anything about it.

Also I kinda expect some of those number problems being related to how they're written in korean. Those witty number puzzles always cheat like that :argh:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah, I see how you figured that Butt. I think ultimately you need to pick one normal "Rule" of geometry and apply it, since the numbers don't correlate to the size of their part of the overall circle. I just went with "top half has to equal bottom half" as that seemed like the firmest rule that you couldn't violate.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I figured the second one out:

the circle is a red herring, the numbers go from smallest font size to largest font size anti-clockwise following this pattern: 33 +30 63 -14 49 +15 64 -7 57 +7.5 64.5 -3.5 61

So the answer is 64.5 due to alternating halving of +30 and -14

Djehuti
Feb 25, 2010

Xachariah posted:

I figured the second one out:

the circle is a red herring, the numbers go from smallest font size to largest font size anti-clockwise following this pattern: 33 +30 63 -14 49 +15 64 -7 57 +7.5 64.5 -3.5 61

So the answer is 64.5 due to alternating halving of +30 and -14

I got the same answer, but a different way.

Going from smallest to largest, or going anticlockwise and skipping one:

33 +16 49 +8 57 +4 61 +2 63 +1 64 +0.5 64.5

Or you could go the other way and say that the missing number is 1, which seems neater since it's an integer.

1 +32 33 +16 49 +8 57 +4 61 +2 63 +1 64

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

The only Hangul I can read are the symbols for HaHa's name so y'all got me beat all to hell.

Oh and I guess the Yoo in Yoo Jae Suk.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Can someone who is following the SA Genius game thread email me the link to the viewer's vista? I asked for it before but provided the wrong email address, whoops! subyngs @ gmail.com

Thanks

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Subyng posted:

Can someone who is following the SA Genius game thread email me the link to the viewer's vista? I asked for it before but provided the wrong email address, whoops! subyngs @ gmail.com

Thanks

Got it!

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Subyng posted:

Thanks

Same here. My email address is eplfutbol20@gmail.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I watched the first 2 episodes of Running Man on this threads recommendation and hell does it have some amazing moments. The photo sessions and the chicken fight in particular. It does kinda drag at times though, is the pacing improved in the later episodes?