Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MondayHotDog posted:

What's the process for upgrading your device on a T-Mobile prepaid plan? Do I just go to a T-Mobile store and hope they have what I want? Do I buy it on my own and bring it to the store? Is there a process to do it online? Will I need a new SIM? Will I be able to keep my $30 100/unlimited/5GB dork plan?

I've never actually gotten a new phone without switching carriers before.
Purchase phone from wherever you want. Insert SIM. If SIM is wrong size go visit a corporate T-Mo store and ask them to swap it for the proper sized SIM.

r0ck0 posted:

Do the prepaid dork plans qualify for free streaming and international data?
No. Simple Choice plans only. AFAIK anyway.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

r0ck0 posted:

Do the prepaid dork plans qualify for free streaming and international data?

The free streaming, yes

I have the nerd plan. The music freedom thing applies. I asked customer service, and have been using it.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Definitely not international data, unfortunately. In fact, no prepaid plans do, even if you are on one identical in price (and data amount) to postpaid. You have to be on a postpaid Simple Choice to get free international data.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012
If you have a phone that's under Jump! 1.0, and you use Jump! to upgrade to a new phone now - does that change you over to Jump! 2.0?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Crashrat posted:

If you have a phone that's under Jump! 1.0, and you use Jump! to upgrade to a new phone now - does that change you over to Jump! 2.0?

Nope. You will still have 1.0.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
My wife and I just switched over from Verizon, but would like to see if anyone wants to 'refer' us for the unlimited data. I'd need two referrals, for the unlimited data on each phone line. SO I need referrals from 2 separate phone lines. You get unlimited data for 12 months, or a $10 credit. Anyone interested?

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

MidasAg posted:

My wife and I just switched over from Verizon, but would like to see if anyone wants to 'refer' us for the unlimited data. I'd need two referrals, for the unlimited data on each phone line. SO I need referrals from 2 separate phone lines. You get unlimited data for 12 months, or a $10 credit. Anyone interested?

I'll gladly take a referral! Email me at tecnocrat(at)gmail(dot)com.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MidasAg posted:

bmoore1981 at gmail

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

If you need a third, or if one doesn't go through,

quappelle at gmail dot com

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Burden posted:

Nope. You will still have 1.0.

What happens if I decide to add an extra line? Does the new line go under Jump! 1 or 2?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Crashrat posted:

What happens if I decide to add an extra line? Does the new line go under Jump! 1 or 2?

Since Jump itself is flagged per line I would think it'd be 2.0.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Crashrat posted:

Yeah it is per line so the new line would get 2.0.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm looking at upgrading and can't decide on a Galaxy S5 or an LG G3. I'm using the LG G2x crapphone, so either phone is going to be an improvement. The G3 looks good to me because I'm a total whore for expandable storage space, but I'm seeing problems with battery life? Help, please!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm using the LG G2x crapphone,
I don't understand how anyone would even consider another LG after using that.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm on a Classic 500 Minute - Talk plan that I started about a month before the "uncarrier" Simple Choice news dropped.

Several weeks ago, I got a postcard from TMo saying that I was being migrated to a new plan, free of charge, and that it would open up the international data and unlimited music for me. However, I logged in today and it still says I'm on the old plan with no mention of the new features.

Has anyone else received one of those cards? When can I expect the changeover?

I ask because I'm being sent out of the country for work, and the international data would be really, really nice, even if it's slow.

Also, TMo says that it can terminate service for excessive use of international data, and that the primary use of the device must be domestic. Is that evaluated monthly? I will be overseas for three months. I assume, then, that I'll be regarded as excessive international use.

Would it just be best to have my service suspended for those three months?

Sorry for all the questions.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm looking at upgrading and can't decide on a Galaxy S5 or an LG G3. I'm using the LG G2x crapphone, so either phone is going to be an improvement. The G3 looks good to me because I'm a total whore for expandable storage space, but I'm seeing problems with battery life? Help, please!

They're both good devices. If expandable storage and battery life are most important to you, go for the S5.

Since you're on Tmo, and will be paying full price anyway, you could also save $400 and just get the Moto G LTE. SD expandability, great battery life, $220.
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-Universal-Unlocked-Black/dp/B00K0NRZSW/

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

ALFbrot posted:

I'm on a Classic 500 Minute - Talk plan that I started about a month before the "uncarrier" Simple Choice news dropped.

Several weeks ago, I got a postcard from TMo saying that I was being migrated to a new plan, free of charge, and that it would open up the international data and unlimited music for me. However, I logged in today and it still says I'm on the old plan with no mention of the new features.

Has anyone else received one of those cards? When can I expect the changeover?

I ask because I'm being sent out of the country for work, and the international data would be really, really nice, even if it's slow.

Also, TMo says that it can terminate service for excessive use of international data, and that the primary use of the device must be domestic. Is that evaluated monthly? I will be overseas for three months. I assume, then, that I'll be regarded as excessive international use.

Would it just be best to have my service suspended for those three months?

Sorry for all the questions.

My best guess for when the rate plan will change is the start of your next billing cycle. As for the international roaming. Their isn't a hard number of months that I'm aware of but I know they are looking at it. 3 months isn't super long. My brother used it for over 2 months in Brazil without any issues. Make sure the country you are going to is one of the 100+ countries covered because it doesn't work everywhere. The list if countries is in the OP.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Burden posted:

My best guess for when the rate plan will change is the start of your next billing cycle. As for the international roaming. Their isn't a hard number of months that I'm aware of but I know they are looking at it. 3 months isn't super long. My brother used it for over 2 months in Brazil without any issues. Make sure the country you are going to is one of the 100+ countries covered because it doesn't work everywhere. The list if countries is in the OP.

Thank you. I suppose I'll just call in and ask about the changeover.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Endless Mike posted:

I don't understand how anyone would even consider another LG after using that.
Seriously. How many phones are so bad that a class action suit is filed?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

td4guy posted:

Seriously. How many phones are so bad that a class action suit is filed?

Wasn't the only one.

https://www.cliqxtsettlement.com/

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MidasAg posted:

I'm looking at switching back to T-Mobile after leaving them from Verizon 2 years ago. (Voice service is absolutely poo poo in our area for Verizon, when it was fine on T-Mo) sometime in November or December- How does this work? I put in that I was referred to T-Mobile from someone, and we get unlimited data for a year?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

I'm looking at switching back to T-Mobile after leaving them from Verizon 2 years ago. (Voice service is absolutely poo poo in our area for Verizon, when it was fine on T-Mo) sometime in November or December- How does this work? I put in that I was referred to T-Mobile from someone, and we get unlimited data for a year?

I think the referral thing just knocks you up to the next tier of service for 'free'. Like for example, if you're paying $0 a month for 500MB of high speed data or whatever the minimum is, it'll kick you up to the $10 2.5GB tier for 'free' for a year. Or if you already have 2.5GB, you'll get kicked up to unlimited for free. I think if you already have unlimited, you'll get a $10 credit, effectively giving you $10/month unlimited, instead of the normal price of $20 a month.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
So I ordered the BYOD sim kit from the tmobile site a few days ago and wanted to activate it just now but didn't have the code card on me - just the SIM. I called their prepaid activation line instead to activate since they don't need the code, and was told that the "walmart" nerd plan was only available if I actually had an activation code from walmart. Considering my sim kit was from the website, and not from walmart in the first place, am I going to have to do something stupid to actually get this plan? Or will it also activate with the t-mo.com sim kit activation code?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Fruit Chewy posted:

So I ordered the BYOD sim kit from the tmobile site a few days ago and wanted to activate it just now but didn't have the code card on me - just the SIM. I called their prepaid activation line instead to activate since they don't need the code, and was told that the "walmart" nerd plan was only available if I actually had an activation code from walmart. Considering my sim kit was from the website, and not from walmart in the first place, am I going to have to do something stupid to actually get this plan? Or will it also activate with the t-mo.com sim kit activation code?

You should be able to activate it on the website, just choose the dork plan from the choices IIRC

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Fruit Chewy posted:

I've activated it over the phone before without a code. I had to go through a couple people before I found one who knew how to do it, though.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
So I'm on the nerd plan and I've noticed something over the last couple of months with my usage stats. My iphone and Tmo do not agree on my usage. It's not even close. Right now, a few days into my cycle, Tmo says I've used 128mb but the phone says 364mb with the bulk of that being Beats Music with 251mb. 364-251 is 113mb which is awfully close to the 128mb that Tmobile claims I've used. This has happened for the last 3 months since I've subscribed to Beats. The obvious conclusion is that Beats streaming is not counting towards my usage but Beats is not listed as one of the "supported" streaming services on Tmobile's site. Anyone else seeing this or have any idea what is going on?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe beats streams from an approved source.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've noticed similar with Beats, and I'm wondering if maybe Apple switched the servers to the same ones as iTunes, so it doesn't count. Would be nice to have confirmation. I'd drop from unlimited to 5 GB or something.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just wanna say that T-Mobile's free roaming over in Europe worked out great for my girlfriend. All she had to do was enable her phone to roam and it instantly picked up a signal. No messing with APN's or anything like that - she had service and data in every country she went to.

This, combined with the streaming music not hitting your data (even if it's only from "approved" sources) and the strengthening of their network, and T mobile is starting to actually look like an attractive option for me sometime in the future...

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just wanna say that T-Mobile's free roaming over in Europe worked out great for my girlfriend. All she had to do was enable her phone to roam and it instantly picked up a signal. No messing with APN's or anything like that - she had service and data in every country she went to.

This, combined with the streaming music not hitting your data (even if it's only from "approved" sources) and the strengthening of their network, and T mobile is starting to actually look like an attractive option for me sometime in the future...

Eh. I switched from AT&T to the nerd plan back in March and I'm on the fence about about staying or going back to GoPhone or Cricket. $30 for 5gigs and 100min is just about perfect for me and super cheap. Their LTE service has been speedy too. However, the in building coverage is just not there sometimes. I'll be inside someplace and pull out my phone only to find it searching or on Edge. Also it quickly drops to Edge when you leave suburbia. I'm in the Washington DC suburbs too, which is one of the better served areas. I'm going to stick it out for a while longer just because it is such a good value and I spend most of my time in areas with good LTE. It's just a letdown coming from AT&T's superior network.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Brock Landers posted:

Eh. I switched from AT&T to the nerd plan back in March and I'm on the fence about about staying or going back to GoPhone or Cricket. $30 for 5gigs and 100min is just about perfect for me and super cheap. Their LTE service has been speedy too. However, the in building coverage is just not there sometimes. I'll be inside someplace and pull out my phone only to find it searching or on Edge. Also it quickly drops to Edge when you leave suburbia. I'm in the Washington DC suburbs too, which is one of the better served areas. I'm going to stick it out for a while longer just because it is such a good value and I spend most of my time in areas with good LTE. It's just a letdown coming from AT&T's superior network.

Yeah I mean it goes without saying that T-Mobile's network isn't as robust as ATT's or Verizon's. I'm on the Cricket $40 a month plan right now (uses ATT) and it's been really good to me - the only thing right now that is tempting me to try T-Mobile's nerd plan is the music streaming stuff.

I had T-Mobile where I live about five years ago and the experience with reception was...less than stellar. However, that was five years ago so I might poke around and see if it's gotten any better in my area.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah I mean it goes without saying that T-Mobile's network isn't as robust as ATT's or Verizon's. I'm on the Cricket $40 a month plan right now (uses ATT) and it's been really good to me - the only thing right now that is tempting me to try T-Mobile's nerd plan is the music streaming stuff.

I had T-Mobile where I live about five years ago and the experience with reception was...less than stellar. However, that was five years ago so I might poke around and see if it's gotten any better in my area.

Service is usually pretty good within city limits of a city with T Mobile coverage. Once you're outside, you'll be lucky to get anything more than calls and SMS.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Service is usually pretty good within city limits of a city with T Mobile coverage. Once you're outside, you'll be lucky to get anything more than calls and SMS.

This aspect I'm mostly OK with. It's the in building reception that bugs me. Too bad most of the spectrum Tmobile has is in the 2100/1900/1700 bands. Maybe when they start lighting up LTE on the 700mhz bands things will be better. That's a ways away though. I'm also hoping they come through on their word that they will be largely done converting their Edge network to LTE by mid 2015.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Brock Landers posted:

This aspect I'm mostly OK with. It's the in building reception that bugs me. Too bad most of the spectrum Tmobile has is in the 2100/1900/1700 bands. Maybe when they start lighting up LTE on the 700mhz bands things will be better. That's a ways away though. I'm also hoping they come through on their word that they will be largely done converting their Edge network to LTE by mid 2015.

Yeah, I live in Manhattan and T-Mobile's in-building coverage is a joke. Their spectrum is too high for good coverage in the ancient brick monoliths of the city.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Amusingly, T-Mobile is the only service that really works inside of any Costco, for some reason.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cojawfee posted:

I was wondering if this was just my area, guess not. I could have sworn when I had an original iPhone that EDGE wasn't this bad. Slow of course, but still eventually useful. On T-Mobile seeing that E basically means that even texting over Google Voice is a crapshoot and trying to browse the web is an exercise in futility. $deity help you if you fall back to GPRS.

At least they have been good about upgrading the network. I have HSPA and LTE in a hell of a lot more places now than I did when I switched a year or so ago. Aside from a few extremely rural customer sites (which I've unfortunately been at a lot recently) I almost always have LTE at the destination even if not during the drive.

I wish dual-SIM phones were a real option in the US, it would be quite nice to have an AT&T (or ATT-based MVNO) SIM in the secondary slot for the times I really need data where T-Mo isn't ready.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

FordPRefectLL posted:

Amusingly, T-Mobile is the only service that really works inside of any Costco, for some reason.

Costco sells tmo, so it's possible they have repeaters so that the booth phones work well.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I work in those kiosks and this is not the case.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I just made scheduled a payment to pay off the EIP of my iPad. Do I need to wait a few days for that to clear before I have them remove the iPad from my plan so I can sell it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
So now that the new iPhones are officially announced, is there a way to do a new EIP through the Apple store or do I have to wait for TMo to get the phones before ordering one?