Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
No, the hardest part is shaving off your neckbeard and hanging up your fedora.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

syntaxrigger posted:

this is more or less the idea.

i buy a machine that has pre-chosen hardware that should be no problems for linux then if i decide i hate myself i end up installing windoze

osx would be viable if i didn't feel so pretentious just looking at them

lol, at that point i'd just buy a macbook and get a linux that isn't complete poo poo. the point of using linux is that i have a random castoff laptop that i need to use for one specific issue, and it's poo poo for even that

p.s.: if you feel pretentious looking at macbooks it's because you're an image obsessed hipster dipshit.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

so the drivers exist already? yes?

then linux is at fault here.

broadcom distributes drivers and firmware under a restrictive license, and they are super bad under normal laptop circumstances (e.g. power management is almost totally broken). a reverse-engineered open source driver exists but it still requires broadcom's firmware.

bcm doesn't really care that poo poo is broken on laptops because they wrote/published the driver for use in wireless APs and routers

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 8, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lol, at that point i'd just buy a macbook and get a linux that isn't complete poo poo. the point of using linux is that i have a random castoff laptop that i need to use for one specific issue, and it's poo poo for even that

developing linux software on osx is dumb as gently caress

if you're doing more than matlab and some perl one-liners, you probably want a real non-poo poo unix, not osx.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

*begins the incantations to summon pram*

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you're doing more than matlab and some perl one-liners, you probably want a real non-poo poo unix, not osx.

yeah, but i'm not and idgaf about whatever :qq:ing you want to do re: mach memcpy performance or whatever. i have a few rare use cases where i need *nix tools and i'd rather have something that works when i install it, then have to spend another hour loving with some busted-rear end driver poo poo because free software is literally worthless.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

theadder posted:

*begins the incantations to summon pram*

it's ⌘ + Option + P + R

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 8, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yeah, but i'm not and idgaf about whatever :qq:ing you want to do re: mach memcpy performance or whatever. i have a few rare use cases where i need *nix tools and i'd rather have something that works when i install it, then have to spend another hour loving with some busted-rear end driver poo poo because free software is literally worthless.

i also prefer to have something that works when i install it. so i usually install a set of signed binaries from a supported repository with a vendor phone number i can call if it breaks

as opposed to osx, where you have shell scripts written by literal children to download source code and (hopefully) compile it. god help you if you need to update any of it

gently caress homebrew forever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

word. :respek:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

developing linux software is dumb as gently caress

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Cocoa Crispies posted:

developing software is dumb as gently caress

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

why are the linuxers so mad about systemd having binary journaling. are there people who like to hack their journals with vim or some poo poo

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Hello from Guatemala. Computers are really cool and fun and so is Linux. I have a job that is cook and fun and Linux and I just got fresh, hand picked, home made, roasted in front of my eyes coffee and it was delicious. And some weird sweet corn tamale that was delicious. Also I saw a car accident and a volcano explode. Today was good.

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Breakfast All Day posted:

why are the linuxers so mad about systemd having binary journaling. are there people who like to hack their journals with vim or some poo poo

Excuse me sir but the UNIX PHILOSOPHY is to have small tools that do ONE THING WELL and communicate using PLAIN TEXT FILES and if you deviate from that you might as well install windows. I do all my text editing in ed and everything I edit is text, as the greybeards intended

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

Hello from Guatemala. Computers are really cool and fun and so is Linux. I have a job that is cook and fun and Linux and I just got fresh, hand picked, home made, roasted in front of my eyes coffee and it was delicious. And some weird sweet corn tamale that was delicious. Also I saw a car accident and a volcano explode. Today was good.

sounds cool & good & send me one of your test units thanks

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Breakfast All Day posted:

it's change, which is bad.

also we're used to just hitting up a file with grep or tail like everything else, and now we have to learn a bullshit special snowflake command that's more than four letters long.

also apparently it corrupts itself sometimes and poettering don't care

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

so how about selling me one of those cool wooden boxes that has compute inside?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'll let you know when the 100,000 units go out. Then I can afford to give you one of them. We don't ship them in English so you'll have to convert it into a dev system or wipe it clean.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Soricidus posted:

it's change, which is bad.

this but unironically

change is intrinsically bad and you have to have really, really good reason for it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

change is intrinsically bad and you have to have really, really good reason for it.

its a lot like blanket statements in that respect

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the one thing i don't like about systemd is that nobody can explain why single-hierarchy cgroups do not permit delegation of cgroup managers. one does not seem to logically follow from the other.

the whole thing is managed using a virtual filesystem, right? why not just use chown and chmod to delegate instead of having to use a d-bus api. normally i dislike filesystem-like interfaces to kernel apis but this might be one of the few places where it actually makes sense and systemd is going ahead and breaking it.

there's probably a good reason for it, i just can't find one and nobody answered my question on lwn.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i also prefer to have something that works when i install it. so i usually install a set of signed binaries from a supported repository with a vendor phone number i can call if it breaks

as opposed to osx, where you have shell scripts written by literal children to download source code and (hopefully) compile it. god help you if you need to update any of it

don't forget if you need gcc to make a file because some idiot baby thought that would be a cool thing to shovel on the user installing his/her program

p.s.: if you feel pretentious looking at macbooks it's because you're an image obsessed hipster dipshit.

meh macs are moneypits unless you are doing graphics or whatever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

any fancy business-class lenovo tends to be slightly more expensive than the comparable mac, but lenovos are certified for linux

it's worth paying a little extra for the better OS

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

syntaxrigger posted:

I heard that adobe software on mac has been getting super bad in the last years, so idk

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

any fancy business-class lenovo tends to be slightly more expensive than the comparable mac, but lenovos are certified for linux

it's worth paying a little extra for the better OS

are all lenovos certified?

i know certain ones are

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

syntaxrigger posted:

are all lenovos certified?

i know certain ones are

well don't buy a bad lenovo duh

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's worth paying a little less for the better OS

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

syntaxrigger posted:

and pro-audio. there is a lot of high-end software and equipment that is mac only because that's just the way it's always been

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
when's gnome gonna get a proper file open dialog?

the dialog on windows and kde is perfect, cuz its just the file explorer in a smaller scale. why does gnome have that combo box and a hidden and foreign looking file list instead of a small familiar file explorer hmmm?

what i amsaying is gtk file open dialog must die die die

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the dialog on windows and kde is perfect, cuz its just the file explorer in a smaller scale. why does gnome have that combo box and a hidden and foreign looking file list instead of a small familiar file explorer hmmm?

gnome used to have a regular file open dialog

they removed it because it was too complicated

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

I agree. We spent some time a few cycles ago making it better, but it never landed because we were scared to adjust the file open box one more time. I'll try to push it through one more time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
they rowed back on that stupid "spatial file manager" poo poo they can row back on this too

i understand the idea behind that, it just doesn't match how people use computers; they don't linger in many shallow folders simultaneously, they navigate through a bunch of nested folders to get to the deep one they're interested in.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

they rowed back on that stupid "spatial file manager" poo poo they can row back on this too

i understand the idea behind that, it just doesn't match how people use computers; they don't linger in many shallow folders simultaneously, they navigate through a bunch of nested folders to get to the deep one they're interested in.
i used a real old mac for a job one summer years ago and i actually kinda liked the way the spatial finder used to work. it was pretty efficient.

but ... yeah, you had to have the whole os designed around it. you couldn't just bolt it onto an existing unix, already packed to the gills with deep folder hierarchies, and expect it to work.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

/variola

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soricidus posted:

i used a real old mac for a job one summer years ago and i actually kinda liked the way the spatial finder used to work. it was pretty efficient.

but ... yeah, you had to have the whole os designed around it. you couldn't just bolt it onto an existing unix, already packed to the gills with deep folder hierarchies, and expect it to work.

macs close the entire folder hierarchy when you shift click the close button and have spring loaded folders, two things spatial never had

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

pseudorandom name posted:

spring loaded folders

how skeuomorphic!!

seriously tho what does it mean?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how skeuomorphic!!

drag a file onto a folder, the folder window opens, repeat on as many subfolders as you want, release the file in the destination folder, all the folders opened during the drag and drop close automatically

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

I agree. We spent some time a few cycles ago making it better, but it never landed because we were scared to adjust the file open box one more time. I'll try to push it through one more time.

you don't need open or save dialogs if you have a decent desktop file manager and a standard stationery system for apps to hook into.

they only exist at all because the original Macintosh didn't have enough RAM to run Finder at the same time as an application. the Macintosh team invented them because of the limitations that were imposed upon them, not because they were a good idea in themselves.

of course every system that followed the Macintosh has mimicked them, and some of those systems (any form of desktop Linux) are nth-degree mimics because they're just mindlessly copying what another system did.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how skeuomorphic!!

I'm actually the idiot that doesn't know what skeumorphic means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Foo posted:

I'm actually the idiot that doesn't know what skeumorphic means

i have to look it up every so often to find out -- i think it means that the icon for a folder you store digital files in should look like a real-life folder you would store real-life files in