Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

I saw the strangest traffic sign yesterday, it was on a state Highway just before a turn with a 45mph speed limit and it said "NO ENGINE BRAKING"

How would you even enforce that?

They're talking about super loud engine brakes on semis, not when you let off the throttle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those signs are super common in rural areas, they're talking about the noisy as gently caress engine brakes that semi trucks use. Sounds like a monstrous fart can when they do it, is usually forbidden in towns because of the racket.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

M. Night Skymall posted:

They're talking about super loud engine brakes on semis, not when you let off the throttle.

I had no idea that it was a thing. I was thinking someone downshifted before the turn and caused a crash, but I can definitely understand not wanting to hear this awful noise

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

The Door Frame posted:

I saw the strangest traffic sign yesterday, it was on a state Highway just before a turn with a 45mph speed limit and it said "NO ENGINE BRAKING"

How would you even enforce that?

M. Night Skymall posted:

xzzy posted:

Those signs are super common in rural areas, they're talking about the noisy as gently caress engine brakes that semi trucks use. Sounds like a monstrous fart can when they do it, is usually forbidden in towns because of the racket.

http://youtu.be/JF6ZeybmQ1U

There is the yawn-fest

http://youtu.be/Pokpfj6ZF90

Bring the noise.

Sadly new trucks can't rock the engine brake hard. And new new trucks seem to have a loving delay on the engine brake even kicking on. gently caress it, I'm getting a old 359 or 379 and a N14 and putting a straight pipe on it and going bullracking.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Christ, it sounds like me redlining the V6 in my old Ford Windstar

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

I think that engine brakes sound pretty cool, and obviously they don't exist just to make a bunch of noise but I can understand taking a dim view of them while you are snug in bed trying to sleep.

InterceptorV8 posted:

If you are on a motorcycle, and your tires on on or near the paint, you're over the line!

It has always killed me the way large packs of harley/chopper riders tend to cruise along close enough to hold hands, some of them inevitably running very near the center of the lane with mirrors/elbows/fairings sticking out into oncoming traffic. It's your rear end on the ground if something goes wrong, not the cager's!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
#1 thing I learned at the motorcycle class I took was, "If something happens, it doesn't matter whose fault it is, you're still the one who gets hurt."

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yeah, it really doesn't matter if your tires are in the lane, if your head is not physically in your own lane during a turn, it's going to eventually end very, very badly (as a few people have found out near my parents' summer place this year...)

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

M. Night Skymall posted:

Why do I still read the comments on YT?

quote:

our american rigs sound a whole lot better than your junky european trucks kenworth or petes are where its at they sound awesome your scanias are so quite and cant tow worth crap and look absolutely gay they r the prius of rigs

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Why do I still read the comments on YT?

They've obviously seen or heard a 740hp 14-liter Scania V8 :black101:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've mentioned this before, I know. If I stop to let you come past a parked car or other obstruction, and it is proper pitch black at night, DO NOT FLASH YOUR loving HIGH BEAMS IN MY FACE TO "THANK" ME, YOU UTTER CUNTS.

How is this even a difficult thing to work out? Happens drat near every time I drive after dark.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Better yet, the assholes who drive about all high beams all the loving time. I can see your low beam is out you're not fooling anyone you stupid oval office!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Better yet, the assholes who drive about all high beams all the loving time. I can see your low beam is out you're not fooling anyone you stupid oval office!

A million times, this.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

GramCracker posted:

A million times, this.

Like every other person on the road in Richmond, BC. THAT LITTLE BLUE LIGHT DOESNT MEAN YOUR LIGHTS ARE ON.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Yeah, I probably had enough time in between cars to make that right turn on red, but I didn't because you honked at me 3 times and you were flipping out in your car about it. I opted to just wait for the green light. Oh, and the look you gave me when you did eventually pass me. Priceless.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

GramCracker posted:

A million times, this.

D C posted:

Like every other person on the road in Richmond, BC. THAT LITTLE BLUE LIGHT DOESNT MEAN YOUR LIGHTS ARE ON.

This reminds me, I need to visit my ex and fix her headlights. She's been riding around with fried headlight harnesses for the past year, and only the highbeams work. I also need to bleed her brakes, since the shop that did the brake job hosed that up too.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Beach Bum posted:

This reminds me, I need to visit my ex and fix her headlights. She's been riding around with fried headlight harnesses for the past year, and only the highbeams work. I also need to bleed her brakes, since the shop that did the brake job hosed that up too.

I'm not following your logic here. Your ex? I'm not bitter or anything, but "ex" usually means "went your separate ways".

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
People can break up on good terms, you know.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InterceptorV8 posted:

http://youtu.be/JF6ZeybmQ1U

There is the yawn-fest

http://youtu.be/Pokpfj6ZF90

Bring the noise.

Sadly new trucks can't rock the engine brake hard. And new new trucks seem to have a loving delay on the engine brake even kicking on. gently caress it, I'm getting a old 359 or 379 and a N14 and putting a straight pipe on it and going bullracking.

Hahahaha, that tunnel is all tile and he probably knocked a few loose ones off the walls. I can only imagine what some oblivious idiot next to him would have thought when that went off. That was probably somewhere near boston center in all the new tunnels built as part of the big dig, I can't place exactly where it is though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

anonumos posted:

I'm not following your logic here. Your ex? I'm not bitter or anything, but "ex" usually means "went your separate ways".

Well, besides the headlight harness, because I have yet to hear anyone get excited about electrical work, but maybe the car is fun to work on?

Uthor posted:

People can break up on good terms, you know.

And even if it wasn't originally on good terms, time heals a lot of wounds

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The other option is that he commutes in the other direction and just doesn't want to get blinded or run into on his way to/from work.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Yeah, I probably had enough time in between cars to make that right turn on red, but I didn't because you honked at me 3 times and you were flipping out in your car about it. I opted to just wait for the green light. Oh, and the look you gave me when you did eventually pass me. Priceless.

gently caress you, don't spite other drivers. You don't know what their situation is. It's very annoying when drivers in front of you turning right on red fail to do so given ample time and distance. Many don't even attempt to inch out, which is equivalent to holding up traffic.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 7, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Holy gently caress Calgary drivers: just because you're going straight doesn't mean the rest of us are and we'd quite like to use the protected left turn signal. Maybe try the gas pedal instead of idling away from the loving light.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Michael Scott posted:

gently caress you, don't spite other drivers. You don't know what their situation is. It's very annoying when drivers in front of you turning right on red fail to do so given ample time and distance. Many don't even attempt to inch out, which is equivalent to holding up traffic.

The situation was that I couldn't quite see 40 mph traffic coming at an angle at 8:30 pm and played it safe. Aside from the dickbag that pulled up behind me, there was no traffic. He honked at me and flipped out in his car for waiting an extra 30-45 seconds. I don't care.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Michael Scott posted:

gently caress you, don't spite other drivers.

QFT. If someone wants to drive faster and your immediate reaction is to waste your own time and punish yourself solely to hurt, punish and spite them, then you really need to take a step back and reexamine your life and your choices.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
If someone isn't turning right on red even though they might be inconveniencing you, maybe you should relax a bit because you also don't know what their situation is. They could see something you can't see, or have an issue with their car (it sucks and can't accelerate to save it's life) which is preventing them from going. I also get honked at a lot for not turning right on red when someone else thinks they can. Turns out this is mostly when there is a sign that says no turn on red! If someone wants to drive faster, they need to wait until they can safely do so, being an rear end in a top hat and honking isn't going to help anyone.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Driving an ambulance lets me get all of my driving frustration out at work, then I go Zen in my POV on the way home

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

El Jebus posted:

If someone isn't turning right on red even though they might be inconveniencing you, maybe you should relax a bit because you also don't know what their situation is. They could see something you can't see, or have an issue with their car (it sucks and can't accelerate to save it's life) which is preventing them from going. I also get honked at a lot for not turning right on red when someone else thinks they can. Turns out this is mostly when there is a sign that says no turn on red! If someone wants to drive faster, they need to wait until they can safely do so, being an rear end in a top hat and honking isn't going to help anyone.

I more than likely will right turn on red, aside from certain situations like last night.

I opted to wait for the green because the situation called for playing it safe. The dude freaked out over having to wait less than a minute. He also proceeded to drive like a complete dick afterwards.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Something amazing from my own city just a mile from my house.

Shots fired during road rage incident in the Far North Side http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Shots-fired-during-road-rage-incident-in-the-Far-5738856.php

5 people in the car that was shooting at the truck. How did none of these idiots tell the guy to stop shooting.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I know people love the entitled cyclist but I just met an entitled jogger. Running toward me in my lane in the street, I see him coming and have my two left wheels on the center line paint, and he makes a motion to me that appears to be "Get over".

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

nsaP posted:

I know people love the entitled cyclist but I just met an entitled jogger.

They tend not to live too long.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

El Jebus posted:

It is also perfectly legal to wait for a green light to take your right turn. You should probably not do it out of spite because that's not a good attitude to have on the road, but even if you do then you have done nothing wrong. If you have had this happen to you, it really doesn't matter what your situation was because you are not entitled to expect traffic flow until there is a green light. Right turns on red are an exception that not all jurisdictions even have. Do not be an rear end in a top hat.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
gently caress people that stay in the right lane on a red light when the left lane is empty, therefor blocking everyone who wants to turn right on the red.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Or don't pull into the spot in a way you can get by. We have tons of right/straight turn lanes here and if you are going straight you can usually position your car so right turners can get by.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even worse are the cunts who stop half in dedicated right hand turn lanes because there are no painted lines.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

D C posted:

gently caress people that stay in the right lane on a red light when the left lane is empty, therefor blocking everyone who wants to turn right on the red.

There's an intersection near here that was recently redone to give it a dedicated right turn lane for this exact reason. Most traffic was turning right (leads to a mall + associated shopping centers), but occasionally one straight-goer would block everyone from turning, which was so much traffic it backed up the entire southbound side of the road (which is one-lane each way until said intersection.)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I feel a little bad at an intersection here when I'm going straight and it's also the right turn lane, but at least the light isn't too long.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

An intersection near me recently became no turn on red and had cops out for about a month pulling people over who did it. I get honked at a lot because I actually read the sign :(

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Aww yeah, oldies at it again, saw a geezer today slow down to get onto the highway in a heavily loaded microvan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

School bus was picking up kids this morning and opposite direction stopped, as they're supposed to. Everyone traveling towards the stoppage slammed on their brakes as they didn't see the stoppage occur, 3 cars had to go onto the shoulder, and a dump truck almost took the cake. :stonk:

I was turning left and saw the whole thing and my anus was clenched the entire time. Motherfuckers need to pay attention.