Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

StashAugustine posted:

So if Wolverine's skeleton is metal how does he get red blood cells then, hmm?

Porous metal, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Unstable molocules

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Wolverine's skeleton is laced with metal.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Wolverine is laced with a special form of adamantium called "adamantium beta" that bonds directly with the bone's structure and doesn't cover it, but instead just enhances the existing structure.

Apparently this process only works with mutants because *handwave* *farting sound*

(Yes, this contradicts characters like Bullseye or Cyber who are human but adamantium-enhanced.)

In some stories this ability to survive having laced bones is purely a property of his healing factor, and without it he starts to die since his blood cells won't replenish. It's been a bit inconsistent. In the current comics without his healing factor, he has to take medication to overcome adamantium metal poisoning (which seems weird, given I'd presume adamantium effectively is a noble metal, but...)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Really the old laced with metal procedure was a lot more, well metal. They routed channel in every bone on four sides and shoved a strip of adamantium in there then bolted them together through the bone.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Apparently this process only works with mutants because *handwave* *farting sound*

(Yes, this contradicts characters like Bullseye or Cyber who are human but adamantium-enhanced.))

Pretty sure Bullseye and other non-Wolverine adamantium jobs have much lower adamantium to bone ratio and just use plain old indestructimetal. Wolverine has the whole skeleton made of metal thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

So if Wolverine's skeleton is metal how does he get red blood cells then, hmm?

Healing factor.

Frankly, the metal skeleton should give Wolverine a lot of health issues plus make him more vulnerable comics makes him out to be. Those memory holes aren't from evil government projects, they're because he gives himself five concussions a day just walking around.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It reminded me of the sci-fi novel Cobra, where the military creates supersoldiers with lacquered bones and then they all come down with anemia.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The way it looked in the 90s cartoon flashback was like the adamantium was freaky-superscience-electroplated onto his skeleton through his flesh, so you'd think it bonded onto the surface of his bones on a molecular level and naturally avoided soft tissue like blood vessels, nerves, etc running through the bones. It only works with enhanced healing factors because, you know, being electrocuted while a metal turns liquid and soaks into your body to bond with calcified bone tissue is fifty kinds of fatal to any normal person.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Speaking of Wolverine and adamantium, what made Magneto rip out the adamantium in Wolverine's skeleton back in the 90s? Was it as grisly as I think it was? (like a cross-section of someone, haven't read the actual issue in particular)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I remember way back in the day when I was in high school working at the local convenience store (which was a great job for reading comics). I picked up one book, I think it was an issue of Weapon X, maybe, and it had a scene where there was a team of surgeons who had basically flayed Logan right down to the bone and we're trying to physically implant the adamantium in his bones before his healing factor closed the wounds. None of that "injecting it with needles" poo poo that came later. I remember being both horrified and impressed. Previous to that I think I'd only really experienced the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby "everything is bright, primary colours and everyone speaks in overwrought soliloquys" school of superhero comic.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Schneider Heim posted:

Speaking of Wolverine and adamantium, what made Magneto rip out the adamantium in Wolverine's skeleton back in the 90s? Was it as grisly as I think it was? (like a cross-section of someone, haven't read the actual issue in particular)

It was pulled out like streams of liquid. You can see the page here.
http://marswillsendnomore.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/x-men-25-magneto-rips-out-all-of-wolverines-adamantium/

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Not as gory as I thought. Thanks.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
And to answer your other question, Magneto did it because Wolverine cut him. Why he didn't do that any of the other times they fought, I dunno; maybe he just got tired of Wolverine's poo poo.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

If memory serves, the justification was that Magneto had essentially lost his mind on account of his powers overwhelming his sanity. This was the same crossover where he tore out Cable's cybernetics and did a worldwide EMP, after all, so he'd firmly gone off the deep end at that point. If Colossus hadn't been a member of the the Acolytes at the time (thanks to a head injury - no, really), I'm sure Magneto would have torn his skin off while he was at it.

It's weird to realize that Wolverine would continue to be without his adamantium for another seven years, so it wasn't just a temporary switcheroo - it had a big impact on the character for a long time.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Sep 8, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If memory serves, the justification was that Magneto had essentially lost his mind on account of his powers overwhelming his sanity. This was the same crossover where he tore out Cable's cybernetics and did a worldwide EMP, after all, so he'd firmly off the deep end at that point. If Colossus hadn't been a member of the the Acolytes at the time (thanks to a head injury - no, really), I'm sure Magneto would have torn his skin off while he was at it.

It's weird to realize that Wolverine would continue to be without his adamantium for another seven years, so it wasn't just a temporary switcheroo - it had a big impact on the character for a long time.

He did not lose just his adamantium, he also lost his nose!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If memory serves, the justification was that Magneto had essentially lost his mind on account of his powers overwhelming his sanity. This was the same crossover where he tore out Cable's cybernetics and did a worldwide EMP, after all, so he'd firmly off the deep end at that point. If Colossus hadn't been a member of the the Acolytes at the time (thanks to a head injury - no, really), I'm sure Magneto would have torn his skin off while he was at it.

God, was it really that long? I would have guessed 5, tops.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

He did not lose just his adamantium, he also lost his nose!

Comics Should Be Good did a great article on that.

Mr. Maltose posted:

God, was it really that long? I would have guessed 5, tops.

It really stopped being a plot point for the character about five years into that period, so that's probably part of why they eventually returned him to form.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The idea that the adamantium poisoning constantly keeping his healing factor busy kept him from turning into Sabretooth always sounded really clever to me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

The idea that the adamantium poisoning constantly keeping his healing factor busy kept him from turning into Sabretooth always sounded really clever to me.

It's clever but it'd take a lot to convince me that "Wolverine is a hero because of a chemical imbalance" is really a great place to take the character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of, how much have they backed away from the tortuous "Romulus" stuff they were doing in Wolverine's solo titles forever?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Romulus is in jail now and hasn't cropped up in the past two years or so.

Presumably he will be back when they need a character to stand around in shadows and say ambiguous nonsense that will never be resolved.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Not sure what thread to post this question in but what do I do if one of my Marvel books doesn't have the digital copy code in it but should? The peel away sticker bit just isn't there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Contact Marvel, I guess? Or maybe take it back to the store and see if they'll swap it out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Marvel will fix it for you, but it might take a couple of weeks before they get around to it.

If your shop exchanges it for you, it will be less painful.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alien Rope Burn posted:

If memory serves, the justification was that Magneto had essentially lost his mind on account of his powers overwhelming his sanity. This was the same crossover where he tore out Cable's cybernetics and did a worldwide EMP, after all, so he'd firmly gone off the deep end at that point. If Colossus hadn't been a member of the the Acolytes at the time (thanks to a head injury - no, really), I'm sure Magneto would have torn his skin off while he was at it.

I've never really thought of it before but does Colossus just turn his skin into metal or is it his entire body?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

muscles like this? posted:

I've never really thought of it before but does Colossus just turn his skin into metal or is it his entire body?

The classic definition was that he could turn his skin metal. But that doesn't jibe, because he could always turn his hair and eyes metal as well. On top of that, he'd have to be strong enough to lift and move his steel skin with his everyday muscles.

More likely, he can turn his whole body into "organic steel" where he gains the properties of metal, for better or worse.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Comics Should Be Good did a great article on that.

Oh, weird. I knew he went feral during that time, but I didn't know it meant he was literally a caveman monster. I guess that explains a bit about the way Bone Claws Wolverine is usually written off as a dumb period of his life.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this? posted:

the Organic Metal thing was touched on in Exiles (and I think in an X-men story proper) where someone with Colossus' power gets royally hosed up -- shredded internal organs and the like -- and is forced to remain shiny for weeks while the body mended itself.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Coincidentally he regains the metalclaws around the time that the first X-Men film came out...

Though, it was pretty neat to see a bone-claw Wolverine as a player in MvsC2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FilthyImp posted:

the Organic Metal thing was touched on in Exiles (and I think in an X-men story proper) where someone with Colossus' power gets royally hosed up -- shredded internal organs and the like -- and is forced to remain shiny for weeks while the body mended itself.

"Like an elephant stepping on a bag of chips" as Dr. Strange put it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

FilthyImp posted:

Though, it was pretty neat to see a bone-claw Wolverine as a player in MvsC2

Which is a lot like Marvel vs DC with Thor's blue costume in preserving weird 90s versions of characters.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's with the 90s palette swap characters like War Machine, US Agent and Vengeance anyway? Are there even more that just didn't take?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tunderstrike and Scarlet Spider come to mind.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
There was also Strange. Carnage is arguably 90s Venom, but he's managed to stick around.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Don't forget hero teams Force Works, Fantastic Force, and, arguably, X-Force.

I think it was just an attempt to give people even more of what they theoretically kind of liked.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'd count Vengeance (aka lets take ghost rider and 90s the absolute crap out of him).

Edit: I somehow missed that he was mentioned in the original drat post.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

"Like an elephant stepping on a bag of chips" as Dr. Strange put it.

He lost the use of his bedside manner in the car accident, also.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's with the 90s palette swap characters like War Machine, US Agent and Vengeance anyway? Are there even more that just didn't take?

Two things, really.

One, there was an attitude during the nineties that many established characters were old-fashioned and needed to be jazzed up for a new decade. Characters were often replaced by younger and / or more ruthless versions (War Machine, US Agent, Scarlet Spider). Two, Venom was really, really, popular, and so characters started to get "dark mirror" versions fairly often (Moonshade, Evilhawk, Vengeance). Even Venom got his own "dark mirror" over and over and over, though only one stuck (Carnage).

It basically played to the adolescent desire to have old heroes be replaced with more "grown-up" versions that stabbed people in the mouth or flung villains down elevator shafts, where "grown-up" is defined as "what a thirteen year old thinks is edgy and grown-up". It was also driven by the collector boom to create new "first appearances" to try and drive sales along the lines of that inanity, and also try and ape some of the early hot properties of that era. Cable's popular? How about Bishop?! How about Random?! Etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All the Superman replacements from the "Death and Return" era, perhaps? Superboy in particular, at least.

Azrael too, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Metal Loaf posted:

All the Superman replacements from the "Death and Return" era, perhaps? Superboy in particular, at least.

Azrael too, I suppose.

Wasnt Azreals tenure as batman a deliberate "gently caress You" to people who wanted batman to be darker/edgier/ruthless/generally more 90s? Sort of "Here, this is what you are asking for, look how terrible and unbatman-ish it would be". I'm sure I read that somewhere.