Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Hooray, I finally won an Ultra Rare KOTR. Of course, I had to field a lineup of a max Pro UR Vince, four epics, and a bench full of unleveled common cards but after some grinding I have this to show for it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Never seen that, before.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

smashpro1 posted:

Never seen that, before.

Yeah, that happens sometimes because some assets are missing. Just go back to the title screen and see if it's trying to download anything. If not, maybe restart the program. I've seen it a few times; it goes away. :)

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I'm looking into "vanity" wrestling games for a dumb article I may or may not end up writing. Y'know, games about/entirely focusing on one guy. I'm aware of Atsushi Onita, Nobuhiko Takada, Cuty Suzuki, Masakatsu Funaki, and I think Akira Maeda had one. Can anyone think of any other examples? Especially non-Japanese ones?

e: hit post and immediately remembered Hulk Hogan's Main Event, which I guess counts even though I don't think the Hulkster is playable.

also, lol, Hulk Hogan's Main Event.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

LvK posted:

I'm looking into "vanity" wrestling games for a dumb article I may or may not end up writing. Y'know, games about/entirely focusing on one guy. I'm aware of Atsushi Onita, Nobuhiko Takada, Cuty Suzuki, Masakatsu Funaki, and I think Akira Maeda had one. Can anyone think of any other examples? Especially non-Japanese ones?

e: hit post and immediately remembered Hulk Hogan's Main Event, which I guess counts even though I don't think the Hulkster is playable.

also, lol, Hulk Hogan's Main Event.

I don't know if this counts but there was a Von Erich family board game. Not a single person, but a single family of wrestlers.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Rockpocalypse :v:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Solomonic posted:

There's also the John Cena drag racing mobile game. It was no Rockpocalypse. It didn't even have jeans upgrades.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

smashpro1 posted:

Never seen that, before.

I might get back in if they added the greatest WWE Champion of all time, Vacant to the game.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Adding Dump Matsumoto, Genichiro Tenryu, and Sgt. Slaughter to the list, and yeah the first Astral Bout is definitely "Akira Maeda vs. the made-up jobbers"

Sgt. Slaughter's Mat Wars doesn't even have Sarge in it outside of splash screens. As far as I can tell, you don't even actually wrestle. But at least it's about wrestling. And buying/selling wrestlers off an auction block.

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I don't know if this counts but there was a Von Erich family board game. Not a single person, but a single family of wrestlers.

Not really what I'm looking for but, huh! Interesting!

Solomonic posted:

Why do I get the feeling that this is bad?

Endless Mike posted:

There's also the John Cena drag racing mobile game. It was no Rockpocalypse. It didn't even have jeans upgrades.

I didn't know about this. Its existence is beautiful.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

LvK posted:

I didn't know about this. Its existence is beautiful.

Ob I see, you were looking for VIDEO games. My bad.

I still can't believe there hasn't been a god of war-style Undertaker game.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I Before E posted:

Speaking of Supercard, I think we might be in the same KOTR.

Reminds me of how I ran into Wojtek a couple weeks ago in kotr. At least I assume it was the same wojtek since that's a weird name. Guess he found another hobby to neglect his child for after WoW.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Sanguinia posted:

Reminds me of how I ran into Wojtek a couple weeks ago in kotr. At least I assume it was the same wojtek since that's a weird name. Guess he found another hobby to neglect his child for after WoW.

Could have been the hockey player Wojtek Wolski

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Sanguinia posted:

I beat Coconono and made him ashamed.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I beat brocklesnar21 I beat the one in 21 and one. Paul Heyman is mad I bet

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I beat JohnCEEEEENA with two John Cenas so that was fun.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember the Apter mags advertising a Gordon Solie wrestling board game in the late 80's. It cam with a record (or what, I don't know).

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I've played vs 2 different Jhon Cenas, and I really hope they're goons

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

They had a copy at the Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame. I didn't get a good picture of it though:

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

it's like the Game of Life but half as long

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sk posted:

it's like the Game of Life but half as long

And all the cards tell you to give money to whoever's playing Fritz.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So apparently some info was released about 2K15. You know how Career mode is exclusive to next gen consoles? Well so is new motion capture animations, the chain wrestling, and the new stamina system. I'm sure that doesn't mean "motion capture" moves, but like little things with movements. Also John Cena is picking modern popular songs for the 2K15 soundtrack.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'd take any songs for the menus, wrestler themes are so exhaustive year to year.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i remember when i played smackdown vs. raw 2009 a lot and i heard "with legs like that" so much during character creation that i wanted to scream

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

i remember when i played smackdown vs. raw 2009 a lot and i heard "with legs like that" so much during character creation that i wanted to scream

I blame mostly WWE games from around that time for the sole reason why I know so many words from 3 Breaking Benjamin songs.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 10, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

simosimo posted:

I'd take any songs for the menus, wrestler themes are so exhaustive year to year.

I prefer the wrestler themes for the menus, the WWE menu music always sucks otherwise.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
The Champ by ghostface killah was a fantastic menu song.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

Also John Cena is picking modern popular songs for the 2K15 soundtrack.

2K really loves this gimmick for their sports games

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

So apparently some info was released about 2K15. You know how Career mode is exclusive to next gen consoles? Well so is new motion capture animations, the chain wrestling, and the new stamina system. I'm sure that doesn't mean "motion capture" moves, but like little things with movements. Also John Cena is picking modern popular songs for the 2K15 soundtrack.

this really isn't surprising whatsoever. it always happened this way with other sports games too -- the legacy engine and assets get a fresh coat of paint, while the new-gen stuff gets all the new tech. hopefully the plus side is that things like creation don't change in major ways for the PS3.

upped my Supercard team, entered another KOTR, finished second. Fingers crossed that I get another top-five-tier SR pair -- the last time I got a pair of HBKs, which according to that google doc are the top SR card. I already have another top 10 card ready to go (a pair of Bray Wyatts) but if I can get another high level pair then I'll be set. If it's a SR Diva pair then I'll do loving backflips.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

I beat Coconono and made him ashamed.

I cried and haven't touched the game since.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Under the vegetable posted:

The Champ by ghostface killah was a fantastic menu song.

Is that the "My heep hawmp my feet stawmp" song?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

KungFu Grip posted:

Well at least it's not like EA's new NHL game, where they stripped out almost all the features that were in last year's game when making the new current-gen game.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

triplexpac posted:

Well at least it's not like EA's new NHL game, where they stripped out almost all the features that were in last year's game when making the new current-gen game.

Nah, 2K's the exact opposite and the gold standard in sports games- last year, Old-Gen franchises had an entire mode unique to it, where you play as Lebron and decide whether to stay in Miami or leave and go to places like New York and back to Cleveland.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I'm pleased with this development. Even though I don't have a new generation console yet, I'd prefer that the focus on new features and fixing things go to the newer systems so that the old version of the game doesn't hold things behind. Is the PS4 supposed to add the ripping of music at some point? It would be nice if that could come back in next year's game.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Tato posted:

I'm pleased with this development. Even though I don't have a new generation console yet, I'd prefer that the focus on new features and fixing things go to the newer systems so that the old version of the game doesn't hold things behind. Is the PS4 supposed to add the ripping of music at some point? It would be nice if that could come back in next year's game.

That's more of a limitation of the console as apparently neither PS4 or XBOne have that function from from the 360 or PS3.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

They built the consoles along the all-in-one box philosophy and as such they probably envisioned streaming music from a hard drive as being more forward-thinking than ripping files directly. Lack of the feature was something that PS4 owners aired their grievances over pretty early and Sony was caught flat-footed. They promised to implement it at some point in the future, but that was over a year ago.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Basic Chunnel posted:

They built the consoles along the all-in-one box philosophy and as such they probably envisioned streaming music from a hard drive as being more forward-thinking than ripping files directly. Lack of the feature was something that PS4 owners aired their grievances over pretty early and Sony was caught flat-footed. They promised to implement it at some point in the future, but that was over a year ago.

easiest way to get around it is to have a way to for games to link to your amazon prime/itunes/whatever account and let you use the music you have rights to on there.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I spend an unreasonable amount of time with the CAW feature and editing movesets, so I am excited just to be able to do all of that via the Vita this year. I actually enjoyed the gameplay and such in 2k14, so I am also one of the few people on these forums that is glad that they aren't rebuilding the whole franchise from step one again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

easiest way to get around it is to have a way to for games to link to your amazon prime/itunes/whatever account and let you use the music you have rights to on there.

Or at least have that integration for their respective own streaming music services, if nothing else. (He says, as one of the 13 people with an XBox Music sub)

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Just had a crushing moment of ennui, scrambling to finally break into the Ultra Rare tier, excited to maybe get that new AJ Lee or Macho Man Randy Savage... and getting a ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Apparently there is a big skill list thing, like springboard moves and strong whips from the past years, except that skills people can have or not have include: top rope moves, two finishers, four taunts, and all the separate OMG moves are different perks now. Sounds kind of like garbage to me.