Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm excited for HOW. TO GET. AWAY WITH. MURDER! *Viola Davis smiles evilly*
especially if it turns out her students actually kill someone, and have to use her lessons to literally accomplish the title.
Also exciting that it seems like Viola Davis's character might be gleefully amoral, unlike Olivia Pope, who's amoral while utterly convinced of her moral rectitude. I would love to watch a tv show with a female protagonist who doesn't give a poo poo about right and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One nice thing about the Good Wife: it is chock full of Wire alumni. I don't know if the are just fans of the show or what, but there have been at least six so far in s2. Bodie needs more work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that really annoys me about Law & Order on Netflix is that for the header image they use the cast for the final couple of seasons, which aren't on Netflix.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

I know 'The Leftovers' is sort of polarising, to say the least, but I really liked this essay and it does a good job of explaining why the show resonates with me as someone who lives with depression (As I'm sure many others here do).

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/7/6116687/leftovers-depression-hbo

I guess that makes it official: you have to hate yourself to enjoy The Leftovers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If that article is right, I assume that the series finale of The Leftovers will just be everyone on Earth throwing their hands up and saying "gently caress it", followed by the sound of 8 billion gunshots?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

If that article is right, I assume that the series finale of The Leftovers will just be everyone on Earth throwing their hands up and saying "gently caress it", followed by the sound of 8 billion gunshots?

8 billion minus 2%.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Toxxupation posted:

God if there's one thing I hate more than non-apology apologies "sorry you were offended" and it's ilk it's self-aggrandizing apologies

Like did anyone read the official apology from ea when SimCity launched literally unplayable for like two weeks, the apology consisted of "in short, sorry you can't play your game, it's just so rad that our servers are gone! Luckily we sold a bunch of copies to you stupid fucks! Isn't that great? That we fleeced you fuckin morons?"

Better than the old responses from Squad wrt Kerbal Space Program: "Welp, the download server poo poo the bed again. It's great we've got such a dedicated fanbase! Keep trying!"

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Spatula City posted:

I'm excited for HOW. TO GET. AWAY WITH. MURDER! *Viola Davis smiles evilly*
especially if it turns out her students actually kill someone, and have to use her lessons to literally accomplish the title.

I feel this just outlined how stupid the show's concept actually is.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fox picked up the Minority Report TV show and the premise is kind of weird. It's a sequel to the movie, taking place 10 years later and follows the male pre-cog as he tries to adjust to life outside of the Precrime tank. He can still sometimes see the future and teams up with a detective to fight future crime.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They could just re-use the sets from Almost Human

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

muscles like this? posted:

Fox picked up the Minority Report TV show and the premise is kind of weird. It's a sequel to the movie, taking place 10 years later and follows the male pre-cog as he tries to adjust to life outside of the Precrime tank. He can still sometimes see the future and teams up with a detective to fight future crime.

That...is odd. And the timeframe for that is weird. The movie has the precogs getting out pretty soon after the events of the movie. It seemed more sense to set it closer to the end of the movie than 10 years afterwards. Plus it's going to spoil it now for all those people who claim the last third of the movie is a dream.

Plus the whole future crime thing is dismantled in the world of the movie, so how can they still arrest people for crimes they've not committed yet?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was gonna say, why not just do another season of Almost Human goddamnit :mad:

It would probably have a lot better chance than "Remember that sort of good Philip K Dick movie with Tom Cruise that came out like 10 years ago?"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

They could just re-use the sets from Almost Human

They should just renew Almost Human.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The other weird thing is that they're using the non-character of the male pre-cog. He basically didn't do anything in the entire movie.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

Plus the whole future crime thing is dismantled in the world of the movie, so how can they still arrest people for crimes they've not committed yet?

They're private precogs, solving the precrimes the police won't pretouch.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Ravane posted:

I feel this just outlined how stupid the show's concept actually is.

Yes. It is very stupid. And I love it. Stupid premises have made great shows before. Sleepy Hollow, for example.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought that was illegal :mad:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Spatula City posted:

Yes. It is very stupid. And I love it. Stupid premises have made great shows before. Sleepy Hollow, for example.

Sleepy Hollow's premise was never that stupid though. It's just a modern Legend of the Sleepy Hollow, which is basically a mix of Grimm and Supernatural. That's pretty much why it's so popular.

That said, I know not to judge a book by its cover. You might absolutely be right about it being a great show; I just have no clue how they'll pull this off.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Sleepy Hollow is so goddamn good. The season finale cliffhanger owned so hard, too.

Season 2 is going to be outrageous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyl95obG0ac

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Gonz posted:

Sleepy Hollow is so goddamn good. The season finale cliffhanger owned so hard, too.

Season 2 is going to be outrageous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jyl95obG0ac

This show makes me positively giddy. I can't wait for it to come back.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
God I remember a year ago we were all expecting both Sleepy Hollow and Brooklyn Nine-Nine to poo poo the bed.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sober posted:

God I remember a year ago we were all expecting both Sleepy Hollow and Brooklyn Nine-Nine to poo poo the bed.

What do you mean, "we"?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sober posted:

I had faith in Sleepy Hollow from the very beginning. As soon as I saw the trailer I was like "This one's gonna be a winner".

Of course I also thought the same about Almost Human so I'm not perfect.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sleepy Hollow could have very well been crappy considering Fox genre output.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I had faith in Sleepy Hollow from the very beginning. As soon as I saw the trailer I was like "This one's gonna be a winner".

Sleepy Hollow was always going to be too kooky to appeal to a wide audience, kind of like Buffy.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Evil John Noble is never a bad thing for a TV show.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Sleepy Hollow was always going to be too kooky to appeal to a wide audience, kind of like Buffy.

Yeah well it got renewed for a second season so nyaah

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah well it got renewed for a second season so nyaah

Yeah, as opposed to Buffy which was cancelled after season 1.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BSam posted:

Yeah, as opposed to Buffy which was cancelled after season 1.

I know it was sad, that show coulda been something.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I know it was sad, that show coulda been something.

True, maybe if they stayed truer to the spirit of the movie instead of trying to make something new out of it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Irish Joe posted:

What do you mean, "we"?

Collective "we". And also on paper those shows did not sound so great.

I guess B99 had the pedigree of P&R but I'm sure most people poo-poo'd Kurtzman and Orci and also that a relative nobody created SH.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

muscles like this? posted:

They sure dug deep to find the dullest and most generic idea possible from that concept.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

BSam posted:

It's funny, but it's not as good as Frontline, or Hollowmen which was a more recent show from the same team.

Basically, check those two out before bothering with the Australian Utopia and only watch that if you want more of a similar comedy that isn't quite as good.

Frontline is in a class of its own. I find Utopia just as good as Hollowmen, personally.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txj6ROnIUIo
:eyepop:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Frontline is in a class of its own. I find Utopia just as good as Hollowmen, personally.

I dunno, Hollowmen seemed more focused, almost Yes Minister ish. Utopia just seemed to be against vague bureaucracy.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Just completed my rerun of Southland again, holy poo poo I can't take that loving programme and how it ends :cry:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm very glad it ended where it did. You could see what was coming next season. It was already speeding drunkenly through a French tunnel of suspended disbelief towards a concrete pillar of overwrought preposterousness.

I'm glad it was axed before it could go full Third Watch. I'm just sad that it went down that route to begin with.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Sure it got a bit overwrought, I think you are exaggerating though. I find it heartrending.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Almost Human :rip:

2013 was year of the fox, until it wasn't. Anyway, does Glee's final half season start this year or next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wait so is Netflix straight up not working tomorrow, or will it be like that day Wikipedia "shut down" and you could just disable flash or whatever to get it to work?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/09/tech/web/internet-slowdown-day/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

• Locked thread