Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So I'm looking for a keyboard to replace my aging Razer Lycosa (4 years old, blue leds still working fine, but the "S" and the "L" key is too worn to see the letters, and the wrist support is cracked, also - it hangs now and then). Since Razer has stopped making Lycosas, I need to find something else.

I do not want anything mechanical, since I fell in love with membrane keyboards when I started using them 8 years ago, and haven't looked back (in fact, every time I try a mechanical these days, it just feels horrible to type (I borrowed something with brown cherry mx switches for a week and I couldn't get it to work for me) and doesn't feel comfortable at all, and it slows down my wpm), and neither do I want anything from Logitech (have a weird anti-fanboyism thing going on with keyboards and mice from Logitech).

What I do want, is a membrane keyboard with backlit keys, media controls (preferable like the Lycosa's touch pad, but as long as there is no Fn keys, I'm happy), no Fn keys, regular sized space and esc key (I'm looking at you, SteelSeries Apex Raw), not chiclet, wired, USB. I don't need any macro keys on the sides or under the space key, and if I can get it with a Nordic layout, that would be super, but I guess I can't expect too much, and I know my touch, so I know where to find my drat "Æ", "Ø", "Å".

I use my keyboard just as much for typing as I use it for gaming (WoW, World of Tanks, CS and way too many strategy games from the 90s where I usually just hit random keys as hotkeys anyway), and since I have a keyboard under my fingers most of my awake time (except when walking to and from work, and the rare occasions when I go out to meet new people), I need it to be comfortable. So wrist support is a plus, also non-slip rubber finish on the keys and keys that aren't too high, or at least "lowered" into the keyboard (compare a Lycosa to a model M and you catch my drift).

I know it's a lot of words over here, but hey. I think we all can agree on one thing. When it comes to keyboards, you more or less have to be a bit picky, be it if you prefer membrane or mechs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've heard of people like you. What's it like down there, Satan?

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
It's hot and it's cold.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

streetlamp posted:

I saw a few people complaining they ordered white backlit ones on massdrop and got gray non backlit, but thats massdrop being massdrop.

What does this mean exactly? Do people frequently not get what they order from massdrop?

I only ask because I'm kind of waiting for a massdrop for the CODE, but I'm not sure I'll bother if there's a good chance of the wrong thing turning up since I'll have to ship it back to the states if it does.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

One of the keycaps for my G710+ broke the other night (the one I use for Push to talk in vidya games) and it turns out they don't use solid cylinder-shaped keycaps for their MX Browns, they're instead four different plastic parts that sit close together to fit on the MX Brown socket. How would you go about replacing one of these? Contact Logitech?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The general consensus on Reddit (never go on reddit) is that they have an abnormally high mistake rate, but vocal minority and all that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

streetlamp posted:

- The clears and possibly the case contributes to this but they have a very hollow spring sound thats kind of annoying. Going to try it as is for a week or so and then maybe orings?
Assuming it makes the noise whether you bottom out or not (and I can't see how bottoming out would make a hollow spring sound instead of a clack noise), that noise might be the springy contact bit that closes against the clear's plastic notch? Or else you're talking about backplate resonance, in which case not bottoming out would help.

ilifinicus posted:

How would you go about replacing one of these? Contact Logitech?
Yeah if you contact their support they might be able to ship you a single keycap in the mail. This seems to be a widespread problem if you search for g710 keycap... so at least they won't be surprised.

Also it wasn't in 4 parts before it got broken, they're just using too thin plastic around the post or something. Something I'll keep in mind for future recommends of the 710 -- if they've made something that breaks easily from normal use, that kinda negates the whole longevity reason to get a mechanical. Sucks.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

chippy posted:

What does this mean exactly? Do people frequently not get what they order from massdrop?

I only ask because I'm kind of waiting for a massdrop for the CODE, but I'm not sure I'll bother if there's a good chance of the wrong thing turning up since I'll have to ship it back to the states if it does.

Like Geirskogul said, its probably just very much the vocal minority of reddit. I had no issues and wouldn't hesitate to make another massdrop purchase.

Klyith posted:

Assuming it makes the noise whether you bottom out or not (and I can't see how bottoming out would make a hollow spring sound instead of a clack noise), that noise might be the springy contact bit that closes against the clear's plastic notch? Or else you're talking about backplate resonance, in which case not bottoming out would help.

I think most of the noise is the spring decompressing after releasing a key, also today at work and not in my silent office late at night, I dont even notice the noise a bit.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Klyith posted:

Yeah if you contact their support they might be able to ship you a single keycap in the mail. This seems to be a widespread problem if you search for g710 keycap... so at least they won't be surprised.

Also it wasn't in 4 parts before it got broken, they're just using too thin plastic around the post or something. Something I'll keep in mind for future recommends of the 710 -- if they've made something that breaks easily from normal use, that kinda negates the whole longevity reason to get a mechanical. Sucks.
The key that broke is on the edge of the first row, the super-fancy Norwegian |/§ key next to 1. I might have mishandled it buy pushing it FORWARDS enough for bits of it to break from the pressure as I press this key and hold it down all. the. time.

Wonder if their support here in Norway isn't absolute poo poo.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Rexxed posted:

There are keyboards being made for the retail US market by big brands like Corsair, Cooler Master, Steelseries and Logitech. They're all pretty decent although I think Logitech only has them available with Brown switches. Razer moved their not great build quality boards from Cherry to Kailh (chinese cherry clone) switches so they seem hellbent on going with cheapness in builds. There are online and limited retail keyboards available from Das, WASDKeyboards, Max Keyboards, and Deck (plus others I'm sure I'm forgetting). Monoprice and Newegg (Rosewill) have/had cherry keyboards but have taken to selling Kailh boards recently (basically if the description doesn't say Cherry switches they're either an ALPS clone or Kailh). The old guard are still around as well but their keyboards seem to be the same as ever (Cherry, Filco, etc).

For imports you still have a lot of variety like Ducky, Vortex, and probably a half dozen others I'm forgetting. Ducky is a major manufacturer in Asia and has a nice variety but warranty issues can be problematic since they're mostly reselling in the US.

For quick browsing you can hit up Amazon/Newegg for the major brands and http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/ for browsing a lot of the rest. They sell a lot of imports as well as some of the smaller brands and they list stuff that's out of stock so you can get a good view of the market as well.

I'm using a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid but it's probably pretty similar to the keyboard you have.

Cooler Master sells Brown switch keyboards. I just bought one from Amazon this morning.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Cooler Master sells Brown switch keyboards. I just bought one from Amazon this morning.

Almost every manufacturer has a selection of multiple switch types except for Logitech who is only using browns at the moment.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Massdrop is sending me a package!

except that I ordered the backlit version and I haven't even heard that those are in the country yet, so we'll see what I end up getting.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Does anyone know of a good wireless "bridge" that will make my mechanical keyboard wireless without any noticeable affect on latency?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Brady posted:

Does anyone know of a good wireless "bridge" that will make my mechanical keyboard wireless without any noticeable affect on latency?

I think this is the only name in the game right now.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Datasmurf posted:

So I'm looking for a keyboard to replace my aging Razer Lycosa (4 years old, blue leds still working fine, but the "S" and the "L" key is too worn to see the letters, and the wrist support is cracked, also - it hangs now and then). Since Razer has stopped making Lycosas, I need to find something else.

I do not want anything mechanical, since I fell in love with membrane keyboards when I started using them 8 years ago, and haven't looked back (in fact, every time I try a mechanical these days, it just feels horrible to type (I borrowed something with brown cherry mx switches for a week and I couldn't get it to work for me) and doesn't feel comfortable at all, and it slows down my wpm), and neither do I want anything from Logitech (have a weird anti-fanboyism thing going on with keyboards and mice from Logitech).

What I do want, is a membrane keyboard with backlit keys, media controls (preferable like the Lycosa's touch pad, but as long as there is no Fn keys, I'm happy), no Fn keys, regular sized space and esc key (I'm looking at you, SteelSeries Apex Raw), not chiclet, wired, USB. I don't need any macro keys on the sides or under the space key, and if I can get it with a Nordic layout, that would be super, but I guess I can't expect too much, and I know my touch, so I know where to find my drat "Æ", "Ø", "Å".

I use my keyboard just as much for typing as I use it for gaming (WoW, World of Tanks, CS and way too many strategy games from the 90s where I usually just hit random keys as hotkeys anyway), and since I have a keyboard under my fingers most of my awake time (except when walking to and from work, and the rare occasions when I go out to meet new people), I need it to be comfortable. So wrist support is a plus, also non-slip rubber finish on the keys and keys that aren't too high, or at least "lowered" into the keyboard (compare a Lycosa to a model M and you catch my drift).

I know it's a lot of words over here, but hey. I think we all can agree on one thing. When it comes to keyboards, you more or less have to be a bit picky, be it if you prefer membrane or mechs.

I'd be lost without my logitech mice.

Anyways just go feel a logitech keyboard and get one. I don't know of any other good membrane keyboards anymore besides those. Fill in the word logitech with black sharpie

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013

This is awesome, thank you!

Omar
Jul 6, 2003
Massdrop has the KBC Poker II Keyboard (Cherry MX Clear) again.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

1gnoirents posted:

I'd be lost without my logitech mice.

Anyways just go feel a logitech keyboard and get one. I don't know of any other good membrane keyboards anymore besides those. Fill in the word logitech with black sharpie

I don't know if I'm able to sink that low. Just thinking about it makes me feel dirty, and not in a good way.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Datasmurf posted:

I don't know if I'm able to sink that low. Just thinking about it makes me feel dirty, and not in a good way.

??? You owned a razor product

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Anyone who declares themselves a fanboy or "anti-fanboy" of a corporation is a world class dingus and needs to experience real problems. That's pretty much all there is to it. I mean just buy Microsoft I guess if Logitech doesn't suit you. Even though that makes no sense either. Who knows!

beejay fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 4, 2014

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

there are always topre switches...

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!
I think after 3 weeks of usage and adjusting to my Cherry Blue K70, I've hit peak-clickdom. My accuracy and speed is up and it's just satisfying to hear myself click and clack productively.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nondescript Van posted:

there are always topre switches...

Agreed.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Not a good start to our relationship, Massdrop. :/

Pulled right from the box. Every single keycap needed to be pressed down.

but regardless :woop:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The name Massdrop is meant to be taken literally.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Ouch. To be fair, that's probably more of a delivery issue. Everything I've bought from Massdrop is packed fairly well and arrived in good, working order.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's life punishing you for buying a 60%.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

TWBalls posted:

Ouch. To be fair, that's probably more of a delivery issue. Everything I've bought from Massdrop is packed fairly well and arrived in good, working order.

oh yeah it works fine and Massdrop's packaging was completely adequate. The box itself doesn't have any marks, but keys rattling around the box is not the first thing you want to see when you buy a pricey keyboard.

Geirskogul posted:

That's life punishing you for buying a 60%.

60% of the time, it works every time.

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF
so is there a good tenkeyless keyboard with MX browns available in a UK layout that isn't a filco?
i managed to ruin mine and, while when i bought it i was working from home and £100 seemed justifiable, it's really not anymore.

no idiot gamer fonts and no backlights if possible, although i've got enough keycaps to replace them if i really have to go with some ugly gamer thing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I need a new keyboard for work cause the Dell one they gave me is a piece of poo poo. I do a moderate amount of typing, emailing, and programming. I've only ever used cheap keyboards and at home I use Apple keyboards which I like and find comfortable. I'm willing to look at mechanical keyboards but I have no idea where to start.

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF

Alligator posted:

so is there a good tenkeyless keyboard with MX browns available in a UK layout that isn't a filco?
i managed to ruin mine and, while when i bought it i was working from home and £100 seemed justifiable, it's really not anymore.

no idiot gamer fonts and no backlights if possible, although i've got enough keycaps to replace them if i really have to go with some ugly gamer thing.
so to this end i've been eyeing up the corsair K65 with cherry reds. i do pretty much all of my work (and hence typing) on a macbook these days, meaning the PC is mostly a games machine so i might be fine with linear switches.

how do people like reds?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Maplin/Currys/PC World tend to have them on display (at least in London - depends on the size of the store, call ahead), so you can try them out there.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I want to get one of the new rainbow LED keyboards, which both Corsair and Razer are bringing out.

Which would people generally recommend? Corsair are using Cherry switches and Razer their own ones, which is the main concern I'm having. Do razer mechanical switches compare favourably to cherry's?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Razers are knockoffs of Cherrys.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
The Corsair uses the genuine Cherry key switches and is slightly cheaper than the Razer. Unless you just absolutely need dedicated macro keys, the choice is pretty clear. :shrug:

Coincidentally I've been waiting for mine to change from "preparing for shipment" all day. :f5:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Do the Razer switches have a transparent case? One of the big deals with the new Cherry switches Corsair is using is they use a transparent switch casing that's supposed to give more even, brighter lighting.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
Doesn't look like it. (From the BW Chroma video)

Winks fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 9, 2014

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Internet Friend posted:

Do the Razer switches have a transparent case? One of the big deals with the new Cherry switches Corsair is using is they use a transparent switch casing that's supposed to give more even, brighter lighting.

Nope. Razer is using switches made by Kaihua/Kailh which are straight knockoffs of Cherry MX switches. Green = Blue and Orange = Brown. Supposedly there's more gold on the contacts to make them last longer than their Cherry counterparts.

Only the new Cherry RGB variants have the clear case.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

1gnoirents posted:

??? You owned a razor product

I own several. I even have a couple Habus.

Logitech keyboards and mice still make me feel dirty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

pienipple posted:

Nope. Razer is using switches made by Kaihua/Kailh which are straight knockoffs of Cherry MX switches. Green = Blue and Orange = Brown. Supposedly there's more gold on the contacts to make them last longer than their Cherry counterparts.

Only the new Cherry RGB variants have the clear case.

And apparently Corsair is the only manufacturer that will be getting those because they say they co-developed it or something.

• Locked thread