Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

pwn posted:

1996 Second set, with the square motif and the padded wall. This set coincides with Conan's ascension from being on the edge of cancellation to becoming a hot commodity in the NBC lineup.

ahhhh, these were the glory days.

Also...I kinda like Seth Meyers new set. Too bad they didn't find a new band to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

Also...I kinda like Seth Meyers new set. Too bad they didn't find a new band to go with it.
And a new host!

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

And a new host!

I agree, but I don't really hate Seth Meyers. I just think he's vanilla as all gently caress.
Given that obvious fact, his show absolutely HAD to have some other compelling elements in order to make it work, or at least be fresh and unique on any level. So....who did they pick as his counterpart? loving Fred Armisen. Jesus.

In the interest of preventing a multi-page, meandering and vitriolic diatribe against NBC, I will just leave it at that.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 7, 2014

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
eh, Armisen is off the show, in practice if not on paper. Kim Thompson is the actual star of the band. I hope he stays gone.

Seth needs to stop channeling the ghost of Leno and find his own voice. His monologue carries on the proud Late Night tradition (briefly interrupted by Fallon) of sub-par monologues.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

pwn posted:

eh, Armisen is off the show, in practice if not on paper. Kim Thompson is the actual star of the band. I hope he stays gone.

Seth needs to stop channeling the ghost of Leno and find his own voice. His monologue carries on the proud Late Night tradition (briefly interrupted by Fallon) of sub-par monologues.

Myers is still the best interview of the bunch. Plus, I like Seth's affirmations. We are still less than a year into his run!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
So it seems James Corden taking over The Late Late Show is now official: http://www.avclub.com/article/james-corden-officially-taking-over-late-late-show-208972

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Looking forward to this. As someone who can't stand Fallon, Meyers or Colbert, it'll be nice to see a new face in late night I don't want to punch.

CBS posted:

Corden is the ultimate multi-hyphenate..

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Irish Joe posted:

Looking forward to this. As someone who can't stand Fallon, Meyers or Colbert, it'll be nice to see a new face in late night I don't want to punch.

Seriously? You want to punch all of them, but not Corden?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I think Corden's fatness makes him seem more genuinely human and likeable than those other hosts. His fat face has a childlike quality to it. I don't know, I also like Kimmel, so maybe its just me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Irish Joe posted:

I think Corden's fatness makes him seem more genuinely human and likeable than those other hosts. His fat face has a childlike quality to it. I don't know, I also like Kimmel, so maybe its just me.

It's almost always just you regardless of topic.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I don't know who James Corden is. Is he an rear end in a top hat or something? Or just not funny?

I get the feeling I'll be disappointed regardless - Craig Ferguson is a hard person to find successors for. Hope he finds something else I can laugh at for years.

Chelb fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 8, 2014

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Rollofthedice posted:

I don't know who James Corden is. Is he an rear end in a top hat or something? Or just not funny?

I get the feeling I'll be disappointed regardless - Craig Ferguson is a hard person to find successors for. Hope he finds something else I can laugh at for years.

The only thing I know about him is the youtube clip that was linked in this thread where he was a jerk to Sir Patrick. I'm pretty sure this is enough research on my part to declare he's an rear end in a top hat and continue to not like him. I get the feeling CBS is trying to go for a network friendly version of John Oliver's talk show, but like every network attempt to copy something good that's on cable, it will fail miserably.

I wonder what the lasting effect of this year will be to late night TV in general? All four hosts changed.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Irish Joe posted:

I don't know, I also like Kimmel, so maybe its just me.

I like Kimmel, too. His show is the only one besides Conan I make an actual effort to catch whenever I can.
I have no idea who James Corden is, but I think that may be to his benefit. At least I will have a clean slate to approch him with. Thats partly why I've been so disenchanted with this new era of hosts: Fallon, Meyers, Colbert. One I already hated. One I could care less about. And one who I like alright, but already has a successful show and is primarily known from a character act.
Having an actual, fresh face in the role could be a plus here. It worked with Conan so, who knows? We'll find out soon enough I guess.
I can still think of at least 10 other people I'd have rather seen in any of these roles, though.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 9, 2014

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Goddamn, Mel Brooks is still sharp as hell, when he dies this country better take a month off doing anything to mourn.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

The only thing I know about him is the youtube clip that was linked in this thread where he was a jerk to Sir Patrick.

Oh for gently caress's sake, he's that guy?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Space_Butler posted:

Goddamn, Mel Brooks is still sharp as hell, when he dies this country better take a month off doing anything to mourn.

Show business is ending when he dies but he also deserves a party.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Max22 posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake, he's that guy?

You should watch Gavin and Stacey to understand why he's a good writer and comedian, or any of his interviews with people like Graham Norton or Jonathon Ross - who he'll probably be similar too in style.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Rollofthedice posted:

As a Brit, I don't think it's fair to say James Corden is not funny. It would be more accurate to describe him as a gigantic anti-humour singularity that sucks the lifeforce out of anything even resembling comedy within a 200 mile radius.

That could just be me though.

Here's a clip of the spectacular wit, wisdom and masterful interviewing you can look forward to for years to come: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2PMOea0cRs

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I'm so glad they didn't cut the bit with the fire alarm on Conan. The monologues have gotten so poor lately that it was a welcome change.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I'm so glad they didn't cut the bit with the fire alarm on Conan. The monologues have gotten so poor lately that it was a welcome change.

I wish he'd skip the "so my interns scanned fark today and" schtick, it's just so tired and you can tell he basically does it out of habit. Not that I have a great suggestion for what to do instead.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Conan's monologues are still funnier to me than Craig's, at least :colbert: I was at a buddy's house last night and he had Craig's show on and we watched it briefly during the monologue. poo poo was awful. With Conan's, at least you get stuff like the fire alarm getting pulled and everyone just sitting around calmly and jokes completely bombing and Conan mocking the writers for how bad they suck.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Conan's monologues are still funnier to me than Craig's, at least :colbert: I was at a buddy's house last night and he had Craig's show on and we watched it briefly during the monologue. poo poo was awful. With Conan's, at least you get stuff like the fire alarm getting pulled and everyone just sitting around calmly and jokes completely bombing and Conan mocking the writers for how bad they suck.

Your mistake is watching late night monologues.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
Then again, what DO you watch late night shows for? The interviews?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DominoDancing posted:

I do what most people do and watch the skits the next morning on youtube.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watch for the monologues, skits, interviews (only if they're with someone/a group that I know/like or someone that looks interesting) and musical guests (only if they're an artist I know/like or one I've heard of but never heard before).

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The most obvious sign that Conan is completely sick of an interview is when he peeks at his cards and asks the guest something because he's "just curious". I'm not sure if he even realizes he does it but he does it every time when it's clear an interview is just dead in the water and he's sick of it. I can't unhear it anymore so I only catch interviews that are at least for the most part unscripted and Conan just riffs with the guest.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I hate to break it to you, but nothing is unscripted.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Irish Joe posted:

I hate to break it to you, but nothing is unscripted.

Craig rips up his cards and just flirts relentlessly! :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DominoDancing posted:

That bit between the first commercial break, and the first interview.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I watched in the hopeless, desperate hope that Conan will do a remote. It almost never pays off.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Frostwerks posted:

I watched in the hopeless, desperate hope that Conan will do a remote. It almost never pays off.

On the other hand, his remotes are the best in the business. Even though that isn't exactly saying much.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

On the other hand, his remotes are the best in the business. Even though that isn't exactly saying much.

I love conan and try to catch every episode when it goes up on his website but he does need to mix up...something. I don't know, but he's got some good skits. Wikibears been excellent, I love his video game reviews and viewer connections connects more often than not. Loved that they did not cut the fire alarm and he played off it pretty well.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Frostwerks posted:

I love conan and try to catch every episode when it goes up on his website but he does need to mix up...something. I don't know, but he's got some good skits. Wikibears been excellent, I love his video game reviews and viewer connections connects more often than not. Loved that they did not cut the fire alarm and he played off it pretty well.

Conan is incredible when something goes wrong. It's like he wakes up from the horrible comedy coma this ancient format puts him in. I was trying to find this one for a while because all I remembered specifically was the nutrigrain bar, and wow was the title fitting.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 20, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Daduzi posted:

As a Brit, I don't think it's fair to say James Corden is not funny. It would be more accurate to describe him as a gigantic anti-humour singularity that sucks the lifeforce out of anything even resembling comedy within a 200 mile radius.

That could just be me though.

Here's a clip of the spectacular wit, wisdom and masterful interviewing you can look forward to for years to come: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2PMOea0cRs
That clip doesn't really do the job. It's an awards show, ball-busting stuff, it's such a different gig than hosting a late night talk show. That said, I'm gonna defer to you because you have obviously had enough exposure to this guy.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

pwn posted:

That clip doesn't really do the job. It's an awards show, ball-busting stuff, it's such a different gig than hosting a late night talk show. That said, I'm gonna defer to you because you have obviously had enough exposure to this guy.

It's more to do with how transparently and tediously scripted the whole thing is, how ridiculously telegraphed and lazy the jokes are and how just horribly unnatural and uncomfortable the whole thing feels.

I mean, imagine how Craig Ferguson doing the same thing. There would have been a chance at least one "joke" might have been actually funny.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I'm a bit behind, but this exchange floored me:

Craig: So, what do you do in Denver?
Little old lady: As little as possible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Garfunkel and Oates (the musical guest on Conan tonight) may have been the single worst musical guest I've seen on any late night show in a long time. Jesus Christ :barf:

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Garfunkel and Oates (the musical guest on Conan tonight) may have been the single worst musical guest I've seen on any late night show in a long time. Jesus Christ :barf:

What was so bad about them? I'm not really a fan but I don't think they're terrible or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Late Night is full of sub-par indie crap. Of the more recent ones the most hilariously bad one was Future Islands on Letterman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee4bfu_t3c
(the bass player has a dead-eye stare through the whole song)

I'm not sure why they even bother with the music acts in the age of youtube, does their target audience really watch late night talk shows?