Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you guys who don't work a ticketing queue do for tracking your tasks\time management?
I've taken to whiteboarding stuff, it sorta works. Sometimes I wish I had a queue but then people would just dump stuff in it.

For some reason it's always incredibly busy or pretty dead. This past week was incredibly busy. It gets me kind of panicky and anxious, and every time I check my email there's a new initiative of something or other that's another hour or two of work for me.

I'm having a hell of a time with it, and I just need to remind myself realistically I'm not even backed up more than a few days.

Forget everything until someone asks me about it a second time, then do it in a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Could you guys lists some of these secret surplus auction sites? I'm curious.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

You can get an Eval Edition of RHEL too, granted it's only 30-days :(

You can get a developer subscription for $99, or a plain RHEL subscription for $50. If you really want to play with RHEL for whatever reason (certification, mostly), $50 is pretty easy to swallow.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

OEL is forever! (and like the same thing)

As much as CentOS is, I guess, but the subscription-manager mechanisms still don't work.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Anybody have any familiarity with 2008 R2 / 2012 R2 kernel hardening? edit: Specifically locking down the files on a domain controller.

What exactly are you wanting to know? You might have more luck too here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3327309

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CLAM DOWN posted:

What exactly are you wanting to know? You might have more luck too here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3327309

Looking for info on PGP or other disk encryption for a domain controller. I'll browse through that thread. Thanks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Looking for info on PGP or other disk encryption for a domain controller. I'll browse through that thread. Thanks.

Something like Bitlocker would give you offline disk encryption with TPM, which is usable just fine on a DC as it's decrypted while running. But the AD database would be kept in memory while running anyways, not encrypted. If it's a low security site, consider an RODC?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Roargasm posted:

Hey all, could I get a value check on this IBM Series i5?

We currently have it listed as a public surplus item in Massachusetts if anyone is interested :ssh: It's about to go for a criminally low price if it's worth what I think it is

Well gently caress. I'd get that, but can't pick it up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Woo! :yotj:

The contract doesn't start until November so I'm not holding my breath but it looks like I'll be bumping up my pay by about 40%

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm getting a taste of my first salaried position. We are having a major software upgrade to our system tonight that has been in the works for weeks. Worked 12 hours then came home. Will be on the phone for another 2 hours doing testing, then working 14 hours for the next two nights doing support.

Edit:

Turns out, the upgrade started an hour late. And Lotus Notes decided to crash, hospital wide, so no emails or sametime chat to coordinate this. :suicide:

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 9, 2014

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sheesh man, have fun with that

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Gothmog1065 posted:

Do you have any examples of a cheap esxi compatible computer? Most everything I've seen so far has been a basic i5 CPU with some other stuff going for 800+ (with the RAM upgrades).
I run one of these for my home lab.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-dc5850-SFF-Desktop-AMD-Athlon-2-30GHz-2GB-RAM-DVD-CD-Rom-4942-/301295706146?pt=Desktop_PCs&hash=item46269fa022

I have a dual core version and upped it to 6GB of RAM, but the fact is that that machine will run esxi 5.1 with no modifications required. 5.5 if you modify some install files.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Why do people assume salary means "get hosed and work a ton of hours for no extra pay?" By all means, stay late when you need to. Go in when you need to. But also leave early when it's slow and you've worked a lot. But a planned issue shouldn't mean an extra, uncomped 20 hours.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

Why do people assume salary means "get hosed and work a ton of hours for no extra pay?" By all means, stay late when you need to. Go in when you need to. But also leave early when it's slow and you've worked a lot. But a planned issue shouldn't mean an extra, uncomped 20 hours.
Some employers take advantage of salaried employees. I'm lucky, I am only expected to work 40 hours on a normal week. I do feel compelled to put in for PT if I need to leave for an hour on Monday, even if I work two extra hours on Thursday, but as a general rule I work less than 45 hours per week, which is pretty reasonable.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

evol262 posted:

Yeah, I'm new to the team, been here about 3 months now. I have no problem putting in the work. However, once this project is finished, we won't have anything big on our plate for a while. I plan on getting in a little late, leaving a little early to balance things out. I'm not the type to break my back only to get shat on.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, I'm new to the team, been here about 3 months now. I have no problem putting in the work. However, once this project is finished, we won't have anything big on our plate for a while. I plan on getting in a little late, leaving a little early to balance things out. I'm not the type to break my back only to get shat on.
like sleep, extra hours when salaried are not something you can catch up on.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do you salaried people not bank your OT hours or something? Why would you work for nothing?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you salaried people not bank your OT hours or something? Why would you work for nothing?

As an American employee its expected we work to finish whatever we have. My team has a designated on call week for each person and they get the next Friday off.

If I get called during my on call week and it disturbs my sleep schedule enough I'm allowed to come in late the next day to compensate.

E: this working to finish is maintenance or downed systems. I can't just bolt if something goes bad at 5. Gotta fix it.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 9, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's what being a salaried employee means :confused:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

That's what being a salaried employee means :confused:

What?? Are you saying that as a salaried employee, who is paid for 8h/day and 40h/week, you do not get paid for work beyond that? Like, even into a PTO bank?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

What?? Are you saying that as a salaried employee, who is paid for 8h/day and 40h/week, you do not get paid for work beyond that? Like, even into a PTO bank?

Yes

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How is that legal?!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

How is that legal?!

We have the FREEDOM to work unlimited hours at a fixed salary.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

We have the FREEDOM to work unlimited hours at a fixed salary.

Freedom aint free!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

America. gently caress yeah. Coming around to save another loving day yeah!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Pfft my boss told me last week he doesn't expect us to 'work' a full 40 hours. He's all "I check Facebook and look at stuff online during work hours, I don't expect you all to work a solid 8 hours a day"

I do mostly project based work. As long as the projects get done, he doesn't give a crap what I do or when I do it. Stroll in around 10AM? No problem. Duck out for a couple hours for an appointment, no worries. I'm beyond loving spoiled at this point.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If I put in a bunch of extra hours to meet a deadline or because on-call was a clusterfuck, it's a given that I can take a comp day off for that. My company is pretty cool.

Sadly that is not even remotely the norm in :911:

CLAM DOWN posted:

How is that legal?!

It's explicitly called out in our labor laws that IT work is exempt from overtime pay, in fact!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Docjowles posted:

It's explicitly called out in our labor laws that IT work is exempt from overtime pay, in fact!

Dude there is nothing else I can say to this, other than drat that's hosed up.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Dude there is nothing else I can say to this, other than drat that's hosed up.

"Exempt" in this context means exempt from having to be compensated extra for working more than 40 hours per week.

U.S. Department of Labor
Wage and Hour Division
(Revised July 2008)
Fact Sheet #17A: Exemption for Executive, Administrative, Professional, Computer &
Outside Sales Employees Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)

quote:

Computer Employee Exemption
To qualify for the computer employee exemption, the following tests must be met:
• The employee must be compensated either on a salary or fee basis (as defined in the regulations) at a
rate not less than $455 per week or, if compensated on an hourly basis, at a rate not less than $27.63 an
hour;
• The employee must be employed as a computer systems analyst, computer programmer, software
engineer or other similarly skilled worker in the computer field performing the duties described below;
• The employee’s primary duty must consist of:
1) The application of systems analysis techniques and procedures, including consulting with users, to
determine hardware, software or system functional specifications;
2) The design, development, documentation, analysis, creation, testing or modification of computer
systems or programs, including prototypes, based on and related to user or system design
specifications;
3) The design, documentation, testing, creation or modification of computer programs related to
machine operating systems; or
4) A combination of the aforementioned duties, the performance of which requires the same level of
skills.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17a_overview.pdf

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's hosed up. There's a few "exempt" groups here, employees who will have very unusual hours and shift work like police, firefighters, forestry workers, taxi drivers, etc. But their regulations tend to be more beneficial and specifically catered to their job, as opposed to worse-off.

Anyways that sucks. Sorry :(

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I know a guy that does elevator repair. He makes $500 an hour on weekends. I gotta get into that racket.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's hosed up. There's a few "exempt" groups here, employees who will have very unusual hours and shift work like police, firefighters, forestry workers, taxi drivers, etc. But their regulations tend to be more beneficial and specifically catered to their job, as opposed to worse-off.

Anyways that sucks. Sorry :(

What's even better, even if we don't have the need to work extra time, some managers use that as the sole way to evaluate our performance. An old boss of mine was one; in response to my request for a raise, he informed me that I was "doing the bare minimum." That is to say, I was working 40 hours per week. Of course, he disregarded the fact that my colleagues at the time, some of them 25 year veterans of the industry, had given input to said boss that I did more and better work during that forty hours than most other people they had seen at my level of experience and education. "Bare minimum."

It's funny how much less work I got done after that. Guess I hadn't actually been doing the bare minimum after all. Not until that point, anyway.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

I know a guy that does elevator repair. He makes $500 an hour on weekends. I gotta get into that racket.

Is that what the company bills at, or is that what he earns? We had an Avaya person come out and bill us 400/hr for some poo poo, he wasn't making anywhere near that.. maybe 10% of that.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Whatever an elevator repair guy makes it doesn't involve printers at least.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

luminalflux posted:

Whatever an elevator repair guy makes it doesn't involve printers at least.

Heh. We had to have a plumber out to our house on a Saturday recently to unclog the sewer line. Was mad about the huge "Saturday Visit Fee" line item on the bill til I remembered that whatever I may have to put up with, my job isn't LITERALLY "poo poo I come across daily".

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Is that what the company bills at, or is that what he earns? We had an Avaya person come out and bill us 400/hr for some poo poo, he wasn't making anywhere near that.. maybe 10% of that.

Company but I'm sure since his usual call is like $100 an hour he probably gets a decent amount. Elevator repair everyone. It's our future.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

jaegerx posted:

Company but I'm sure since his usual call is like $100 an hour he probably gets a decent amount. Elevator repair everyone. It's our future.

Meh, it has its ups and downs like any other job.

:suicide:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Jeez, BGP whack-a-mole in the southeast US tonight.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Misogynist posted:

Jeez, BGP whack-a-mole in the southeast US tonight.

I was wondering what was going on.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was wondering what was going on.
From our own logs, it looks like Level3 was having major transit issues up and down the East Coast. Our server communications between datacenters in FL and GA and Amazon's us-east-1 were principally affected, but our user analytics suggest that we had a good amount of direct user impact as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I honestly feel bad for most of the salaried people here. I'm salaried, but if I do overtime I get paid at an hourly rate. Good thing too, I would not work 32 hour weekends without it.

(site installations are awful when they go wrong, by the way. Thanks for asking)