Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah it breaks the mold a bit, big fan of the design.

Eph is going to fall rear end backwards into killing the master, i can feel it. (haven't read it yet)
Nora is the Lourdes of this show. Everyone else just bouncing along with the "we've seen walking dead, we're down!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well my faint praise is that it wasn't as bad as the first seven episodes. Jesus but, Eph's kid is a horrible actor. And he has asthma, why; how does that add anything to this show? What the gently caress, I've never seen a more useless gratuitous sex scene in any show, ever. Hey, we just had to burn a dead guys body and I'm waiting to see if my ex-wife is a vampire and nothing makes me hornier than thinking about my ex who hosed me over and stole my child so let's gently caress. Oh by the way, did I mention that the worst I've ever felt in my life was when I saw worms in the guys back who I cold cocked and threatened to kill two episodes ago; yeah even worse than my miserable divorce and losing my kid. I did enjoy seeing the Master. Get the gently caress on with the end of the world please.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 8, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

radical meme posted:

Well my faint praise is that it wasn't as bad as the first seven episodes. Jesus but, Eph's kid is a horrible actor. And he has asthma, why; how does that add anything to this show? What the gently caress, I've never seen a more useless gratuitous sex scene in any show, ever. Hey, we just had to burn a dead guys body and I'm waiting to see if my ex -wife is a vampire so let's gently caress. I did enjoy seeing the Master. Get the gently caress on with the end of the world please.

Sex and horror go hand in hand; I'm glad they were able to finally shoe-horn in a sex scene.

:yosbutt:

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Drifter posted:

Sex and horror go hand in hand; I'm glad they were able to finally shoe-horn in a sex scene.

:yosbutt:

Usually it's in the form of a prudish morality play where having sex means you are doomed to a particularly gory death immediately after. I kept expecting his vampire ex-wife to lunge out of the closet during that whole scene.

I suppose that it speaks well of the show that it's not falling into easy tropes like that one, although the sex scene really was pointless and strangely shoehorned in.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eph's been buzzing around that honey pot since the plane landed, it had to happen sooner or later.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I need a gif of the masters glowing eyes rolling as he turns Eichorst. He was clearly loving it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I thought the Master's face looked like Batboy if he was an adult. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Master: Those lips were pretty silly.

Nora: That rear end was jigglin' pretty.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Master's face was really good, especially in the closeups, but those big goofy hands are terrible. They completely take me out of the scene.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

I thought the Master's face looked like Batboy if he was an adult. Not exactly what I had in mind.

Thats EXACTLY what I thought when I saw his face, which made his eyes rolling up in that scene really funny to me.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I thought they weren't supposed to have ears.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rurea posted:

I thought they weren't supposed to have ears.
The other vamps haven't earned their ears yet.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
Regarding the Master's backstory: The season finale is titled "The Master," so my guess is that we'll learn all about him then. Maybe even an all-flashback episode.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pulp Can Move posted:

Regarding the Master's backstory: The season finale is titled "The Master," so my guess is that we'll learn all about him then. Maybe even an all-flashback episode.

I can't wait for the backstory bit where he feeds on the Gommorah woman and is like "God knows how tasty these humans are and didn't tell us?!!!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I just caught up to this. This show is loving stupid. I love it.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Pulp Can Move posted:

If Game of Thrones is anything to go by, the name references one 30 second scene disconnected from the rest of the episode.

We're back to a lot of stupid and boring stuff happening this episode. Eph's kid sucked, and a lot of characters acting surprisingly nonchalant about escaping the gas station siege. "Oh, that's just my neighbor, he walks and moans like one of the vampires overrunning the city because he smokes pot."

I laughed out loud at Nora asking Eph if he wanted to "say anything about, um, Matt?" "NAH" and Eph's grinning explanation to his son for his escape: "I saw an opening- and I took it!" Yeah, you pulled your handcuff keys from a dying FBI agent who you I-told-you-soed and ran off. Way to go, hero.

I thought the Master's face looked kind of goofy from the front, and I didn't even notice the Batboy resemblance. He just looks like he has a frozen expression of confusion/surprise- it's not a very menacing look. Still love the way he looks garbed, the skittering animations, his voice, and theme song though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

The Master's face was really good, especially in the closeups, but those big goofy hands are terrible. They completely take me out of the scene.

The hands, yeah, ugh. The face was a very classic vampire face, like the sort of thing I'm sure I've seen in old silent films from 100 years ago.

Also goddamnit show, you teased the vampire special forces 2 episodes ago and they have yet to show up again, AND we're back to Eph family bullshit? Come on, I thought you were finally getting into gear.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I did laugh a bit when manbaby Eph was given the opportunity to say something about Matt and he's just like NOPE gently caress THAT GUY.

Yes! Batboy! I was thinking the overall look was something like that but couldn't remember the name.

Eph's kid has asthma and the Master later gives him some wormless blood to heal him, and gives him more over time to sort of bind Zach to him. And yeah he's a bad actor.

Speaking of child actors, I THINK the little girl vampire from the first couple of episodes was one of the kids in Mama, which GdT produced. I wish the Master's movements were a bit more like this- maybe not quite so exaggerated, but there's something really unnerving and wrong about that jerky, broken movement.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Whispering Machines posted:

I wish the Master's movements were a bit more like this- maybe not quite so exaggerated, but there's something really unnerving and wrong about that jerky, broken movement.

I don't know, I prefer it didn't go in the way of tense and jerky poo poo, like, he's still a part of the world and is comfortable in his skin and is some hunting predator. Smooth feels better.

Unless he's an angel or something, in which case, sure, why not?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drifter posted:

I don't know, I prefer it didn't go in the way of tense and jerky poo poo, like, he's still a part of the world and is comfortable in his skin and is some hunting predator. Smooth feels better.

Unless he's an angel or something, in which case, sure, why not?

The way The Master currently flies around sort of reminds me of Zoidberg whooping out of the room so I hope they change it somehow. I don't care how it changes though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

The way The Master currently flies around sort of reminds me of Zoidberg whooping out of the room so I hope they change it somehow. I don't care how it changes though.

I hope there's going to be a season 1 blooper segment where the guy in the Master's outfit crabwalks with his hands in the air and whoops and hollars for thirty seconds.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Drifter posted:

I hope there's going to be a season 1 blooper segment where the guy in the Master's outfit crabwalks with his hands in the air and whoops and hollars for thirty seconds.

Man I'd be scared shitless of a shadow constantly jumping around the room while making whooping noises.

You know something's there and the whooping noise is slowly getting closer to you.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Sorry if this was brought up already but do we know why the Master didn't just kill Set rather than crush his hands? Was there any mythos-related reason beyond standard villain logic i.e. why kill my enemy when I've got the chance instead I will let him escape to one day defeat me

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Unmerciful posted:

Sorry if this was brought up already but do we know why the Master didn't just kill Set rather than crush his hands? Was there any mythos-related reason beyond standard villain logic i.e. why kill my enemy when I've got the chance instead I will let him escape to one day defeat me

Based on his dialogue in that scene, it's pretty clear that he has a serious sadistic streak and didn't view Abraham as a credible threat in the slightest. I think it was just supposed to be like pulling wings from a fly and leaving it to die.

He might have also correctly figured that the Nazis would immediately final solution a woodworker with smashed hands.

Since Abraham doesn't have the Master's sword and hasn't lost his lover yet, I'm pretty sure we're owed at least one more flashback showdown from years later.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Unmerciful posted:

Pull the wings off a fly.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I can't understand how the Master would have been able to hold that sword with his Mickey Mouse glove hands. Unless he kept it as a memento from his 'human' days, but he'd probably not do that.

kruna
Jun 6, 2006
I missed the rapture.
What is the story of the master and the vamp SWAT team (from the books)? Where did the worms come from?

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Pretty much all of that has been posted throughout the thread. OP should probably just add a spoiler section to the first post at this point since it seems to come up a lot.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Re: Giant Hands

There is an explanation for his size/hands in the book. Hopefully they get to it as it is pretty interesting.

Re: Crushing Hands

It wasn't just randomly sadistic. He knew he was the one who carved his coffin. It was his own way of saying thanks and making sure that it would always be his best and final work so he could never forget it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

D-Pad posted:

It wasn't just randomly sadistic. He knew he was the one who carved his coffin. It was his own way of saying thanks and making sure that it would always be his best and final work so he could never forget it.

It was psychopathically sadistic. Fair enough.

At this point whenever we mention the book we should just spoiler quote what the book tells us.

What's up with the giant Master hands?

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Drifter posted:

It was psychopathically sadistic. Fair enough.

At this point whenever we mention the book we should just spoiler quote what the book tells us.

What's up with the giant Master hands?

It's actually really simple:

The Master's current host (spoiler within a spoiler there) is Jusef Sardu, an Armenian nobleman who had an extreme case of gigantism. The irony of the host choice is that Sardu was an benevolent, kind person.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Didn't the rat catcher have a sword looking similar to the old jewish dude's laying around in his apartment?

I'm trying to go back and find the scene but I can't, maybe it was a fever dream.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Whispering Machines posted:

What did you guys think of the Masters Nosferatu meets Voldemort face?
Terrible, it literally looks like the original tabloid batboy where the nose fell off. Also, they have teeth for some reason lol

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

maniacripper posted:

Didn't the rat catcher have a sword looking similar to the old jewish dude's laying around in his apartment?

I'm trying to go back and find the scene but I can't, maybe it was a fever dream.

It was a crowbar. Concealed crowbar walking stick.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Looking at the Strain's entry on Wikipedia is hilarious in the context of the show:

quote:

All bodily waste is excreted from a single rectal orifice in the form of a pungent ammonia-based spray; a vampire will excrete for the entire duration of a feeding, purging old food as it consumes new blood.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Vampires - too stupid to not poo poo where they eat

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Would you rather they sparkle?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

LobsterMobster posted:

Vampires - too stupid to not poo poo where they eat

TO be fair, though, they're not farmers or grazers. They could poo poo anywhere they want and not have to worry about that spot ever again.

Unlike, say, the actors or writers of the show, which constantly poo poo out, and then wallow in, the characters (except Fet, the German Vamp, and Setrakian, and I guess that bit-part Canadian black dude because people seem to like him and he's kinda cool).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 9, 2014

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
This is the weirdest thread for a show. A section of you guys barely pays attention, some of you guys are upset the show's not more realistic, some just want a quick summary of the books and everyone else is just enjoying the ride. Oh well, still like the show and glad it got renewed for a second season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Gaunab posted:

This is the weirdest thread for a show. A section of you guys barely pays attention, some of you guys are upset the show's not more realistic, some just want a quick summary of the books and everyone else is just enjoying the ride. Oh well, still like the show and glad it got renewed for a second season.

Hey, you forgot that some of us are still tuning in only for Corey Stoll's hair!

• Locked thread