Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I started playing Unreal World, and it's pretty good once you get used to the movement system and how building things works. I just wish that you had more options for building things instead of having to go to villages to buy some stuff like punts and wooden tubs. It'd probably also be useful to have an indication of when your food will go bad, since it's hard to keep track of which roasted perch was the one you caught three days ago and which was the one you caught a week ago and will go bad at any moment.

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
The Long Dark now has a release date of Sept 22nd. If you pre-order on the website you can still get a DVD copy. I am so loving hyped for this game it's crazy.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

I hate you for posting that because now that I know what it is I'm going to have to spend money on it.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Music Theory posted:

I started playing Unreal World, and it's pretty good once you get used to the movement system and how building things works. I just wish that you had more options for building things instead of having to go to villages to buy some stuff like punts and wooden tubs. It'd probably also be useful to have an indication of when your food will go bad, since it's hard to keep track of which roasted perch was the one you caught three days ago and which was the one you caught a week ago and will go bad at any moment.

I think there's a mod like that in their modforum, but be warned that it seems like everything they added is a complicated multistep process to build. Wish there was more to do in this game too.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Toadsniff posted:

The Long Dark now has a release date of Sept 22nd. If you pre-order on the website you can still get a DVD copy. I am so loving hyped for this game it's crazy.

Release or Early Access release?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Brackhar posted:

Release or Early Access release?

It's just early access, not the finished game. According to Steam the last update was still labeled as alpha, so I wouldn't be holding my breath for a 1.0 release any time soon.

Still, looks extremely interesting. Gonna be keeping an eye on it.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
So "Salt The Game" is looking interesting. Island hopping, pirate bopping, boat... rocking, survival game.

https://saltthegame.com/

Still super early, but you can play the free version now or buy in to the full deal. Looks like it could be good fun, and I hope the dev looks into MP for it, as I think it would be fun. Either way.

RPS has written a few things about it.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/08/salt-lets-play/

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Biosys was a pretty cool game.

You were a scientist with amnesia trying to survive in the biodome he built on a remote mountain. There was some sort of accident involving biodome 4 which was being constructed as a tourist resort and was completely dead and polluted. You had to open this dome to the rest of the system and distribute the smog and pollution to the other domes without killing them so you could revitalize the systems and escape.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Toadsniff posted:

Found an old obscure survival game eponymously called Wilderness: A Survival Adventure, haven't played it yet.

Oh hey, Wilderness! I'm surprised anyone else has heard about that game. I made a mini-effortpost about it in the retrocomputer gaming thread. The manual for that game was great, I took a few photos of it and posted them ITT. If anyone's interested the post is here, I dunno if the manual shots are worth using for the OP but they're there.

As I remember Wilderness was marketed as an educational game and sold to Boy Scout troops or something. There really was a lot of flexibility in that game considering it could run on a 48K Apple II. You could random-generate your own region too. Never did get to try any of the expansion disks though. It was really hard to survive in a lot of scenarios though, finding non-contaminated water was murder and you'd almost always run out of food and have to resort to scrounging for grubs to eat.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Got an extra key for The Long Dark right here in my hot little inbox. First person to email me at username at gmale.com will get it.

taken

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 22, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
The Long Dark entered Early Access today. I poked around at it for a few hours and it shows some promise, though it's quite content light currently. I'd suggest waiting until the story gets added in December or so, 'cause as it stands the sandbox is only compelling for about two hours or so.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Yeah I've played it a few times. End up getting all the gear there is and then suddenly a wolf.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
The Flame in the Flood shows some promise, it comes across to me as a bit of Don't Starve with Oregon Trail. I have early backer Stockholm syndrome so I backed it, desperately hoping that this time it all works out.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brackhar posted:

The Long Dark entered Early Access today. I poked around at it for a few hours and it shows some promise, though it's quite content light currently. I'd suggest waiting until the story gets added in December or so, 'cause as it stands the sandbox is only compelling for about two hours or so.

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So I just put two hours into the Long Dark. I Kickstarted the thing and hadn't had any time to sit down with it until today.

It's... pretty disappointing so far. Very nice looking, yes, good sound effects, good atmosphere. But unplayable. It's basically a random item generator for the various safe places you can commandeer, and if the dice rolls aren't in your favor, you're screwed from the get to. There are knives, hatchets, logs, but no way to fight off wolves except for punching them, and there's no way to do it and *not* get injured in the process, as far as I can tell. Foraging for wood is a game of chance, even with a hatchet in hand. There's no map or compass, or way to survey. The economy of things is really lovely. Every log adds an hour and 20 minutes or so to the fire, but getting new logs takes minimum of an hour. You can get food poisoning from canned items. Tools degrade with astounding quickness: knives and hatchets lose up to 10% of their durability with each attempt to do anything.

And once you know the map, it's not survival at all, it's just resource management until you inevitably run out of luck.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

There is a gun in The Long Dark, and you can also scare off wolves by using flares for sure, and maybe other fire sources too.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I have been alive for 17 days now. Just now found the rifle.

Yet, on Day 14. I MET THE WOLF. HE IS MORTAL, AND HE IS MADE OF MEAT :black101:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
I thought I would chime in on The Long Dark here: It needs more. Don't misunderstand, I love the simplicity of its graphics, the starkness of the terrain, the cold reality without zombies or kraken. The core concept of a survival game that is about survival is great, but with such a narrow focus there needs to be depth. As it stands, things are so binary between surviving or dying. There needs to be more options and nuance. Why can't my pilot figure out how to throw rocks or sharpen a stick? Why can't I wrap a glass shard in bandages and use it to skin animals? Why do sweaters fall apart after being worn for two days?! Why are the only ranged option with wolves is to throw a flare or shoot them? (Why does wolf combat make so little sense?)

Etc.

Also, fishing is a pretty easy way to survive. Harvest wood, fish, melt water, cook fish, repeat.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

H1Z1 is sort of barebones but you can actually build animal traps and dew collectors if you wanna play wilderness survival guy with a bow and makeshift tools. As with any zombie game the most dangerous enemy is other players.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Unreal World had a pretty major update right before Christmas just fyi for anyone who hasn't played it recently.

It just got greenlit on Steam too.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

LeJackal posted:

I thought I would chime in on The Long Dark here: It needs more. Don't misunderstand, I love the simplicity of its graphics, the starkness of the terrain, the cold reality without zombies or kraken. The core concept of a survival game that is about survival is great, but with such a narrow focus there needs to be depth. As it stands, things are so binary between surviving or dying. There needs to be more options and nuance. Why can't my pilot figure out how to throw rocks or sharpen a stick? Why can't I wrap a glass shard in bandages and use it to skin animals? Why do sweaters fall apart after being worn for two days?! Why are the only ranged option with wolves is to throw a flare or shoot them? (Why does wolf combat make so little sense?)

Etc.

Also, fishing is a pretty easy way to survive. Harvest wood, fish, melt water, cook fish, repeat.

We really do have a shortage of survival games without monsters and this makes me sad because I want The Long Dark to be good :(

Oh well, maybe another 6-12 months.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
MINECRAFT, op

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
If anyone prefers their survival games on the go, Survivalcraft is where it's at. By far one of the best Minecraft-esque games on mobile, outclassing even the official Minecraft app. Updates fairly regularly and introduces new gameplay elements fairly often - latest update was just a few months ago and adds clothing of different types and ambient temperature. Surviving early game feels just about the right amount of challenging, neither unfairly difficult nor trivially easy, and late-game there's a surprisingly in-depth electronics system to mess about with. Can't post screenshots at the moment or I'd do a proper write-up on it, but everyone should give it a try - it's available on iOS and Android.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Noticed Stranded Deep on Steam. It's some sort of game where you're Tom Hanks and talk to Wilson and it looks pretty cool. Depending on how building things works, this game just might end up to be what I alwas wanted from Minecraft. In MC the big ocean maps with little islands were always my favorite.

However, it's like some 0.01 alpha so... eh, maybe in 3 years?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
I think there's like three "Stranded" games out now. One 2D astronaut adventure thing, Stranded Deep.... maybe another?

Is Stranded Deep a sequel to Stranded 1 and 2, or are they still working on Stranded 3?

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

Locus posted:

I think there's like three "Stranded" games out now. One 2D astronaut adventure thing, Stranded Deep.... maybe another?

Is Stranded Deep a sequel to Stranded 1 and 2, or are they still working on Stranded 3?

It looks like they are still working on it.
Here is the main page for it: http://www.stranded3.com/

The most recent dev post explains that they are different groups of people, just with a similarly named projects.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dang! I didn't think I'd actually remember it, but Notrium was one heck of a survival game.

I'm not sure if it'll work on Windows 8, but I remember it being a lot of fun!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I have the Long Dark and I think it's graphics are great but I also agree that it's a pretty shallow game. You ultimately survive for as long as you can find premade stuff lying around but you can't survive indefinitely with stuff you make. It's not that I want the game to be easier, but when you know eventually you'll drop dead after exhausting all the supplies in the game world, the game just seems like a slog (especially since moving around the small maps can be tedious and slow if you're actually trying to last as long as you can.) and there are so many mattresses and things, why can't I rip them up for cloth? Why can't I turn random metal into scrap? Why can't I make weapons out of renewable stuff? I'm hoping the story mode fixes this by having episodic levels. Once the novelty of sandbox wears off there's little reason to keep playing.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The Long Dark is on sale right now. Yeah it's not super deep but it's scratching an itch I've had for years and I absolutely love it.

Xibanya posted:

I have the Long Dark and I think it's graphics are great but I also agree that it's a pretty shallow game. You ultimately survive for as long as you can find premade stuff lying around but you can't survive indefinitely with stuff you make. It's not that I want the game to be easier, but when you know eventually you'll drop dead after exhausting all the supplies in the game world, the game just seems like a slog (especially since moving around the small maps can be tedious and slow if you're actually trying to last as long as you can.) and there are so many mattresses and things, why can't I rip them up for cloth? Why can't I turn random metal into scrap? Why can't I make weapons out of renewable stuff? I'm hoping the story mode fixes this by having episodic levels. Once the novelty of sandbox wears off there's little reason to keep playing.

I agree but you can still survive an extremely long time as is. The only thing I would really like to be renewable are torches. As is they cost nothing but reclaimed wood, cloth and kerosene. It'd be neat if you could somehow make pitch, and use scavenged resources for the torch itself. You don't even really need a bow to hunt either. Just chase deer into wolves, scare the wolf off with a torch and claim the meat for yourself.

That or just make feathers renewable and let me do some flint knapping for arrowheads.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What, no Survival Kids?

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What, no Survival Kids?

Sabaibaru Kizu wa nani o non desuka?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I found this thread looking for The Long Dark discussion on SA. It just got a big update that overhauls a bunch of stuff. You can't forage for wood just by stepping outside anymore - you have to find it laying around in the world, but it seems pretty plentiful. You can't get cedar or fir without a hatchet, though. You can break down furniture, curtains, towels, and a bunch of other stuff that was just decoration before (mostly for reclaimed wood and cloth). They finally added hypothermia and a bunch of other conditions. I still haven't gotten around to making a bow since that update came out, since I can never seem to find a hatchet. :( Wolves are still dicks, but now you can wave a lit torch around in front of you, and you can take torches from fires. Fires also got some changes - they keep you from getting colder, but don't necessarily warm you up unless the heat they give off can overcome the ambient temperature in the air. The UI got a bit of an overhaul, too: the center dot only appears when you aim at something you can interact with, and the rifle's ammo counter is a bit different. Here's the official changelog and a video that explains things better than I can: http://hinterlandgames.com/deep-forest-v-256/

I've only played for a couple hours since the update, but so far, I'm really liking the changes.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 2, 2015

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

beats for junkies posted:

I've only played for a couple hours since the update, but so far, I'm really liking the changes.

My big complaint about the update is how obtrusive the new snow particles seem to be. It's not that they're numerous; they're just the size of fuckin' baseballs. Good update otherwise though.

With the new wood collection mechanics it seems bizarre that you can't fell trees, or even harvest fallen trees, but instead are limited to twigs and branches. I suspect axes (which unused files have been found for) will be introduced in the next large patch.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 2, 2015

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

fennesz posted:

My big complaint about the update is how obtrusive the new snow particles seem to be. It's not that they're numerous; they're just the size of fuckin' baseballs. Good update otherwise though.

With the new wood collection mechanics it seems bizarre that you can't fell trees, or even harvest fallen trees, but instead are limited to twigs and branches. I suspect axes (which unused files have been found for) will be introduced in the next large patch.

Yeah, the snow seems to be a bit much. And the tree thing is definitely weird, but it's likely a balance issue - I think chopping down trees would need to have a big enough cost (in time or fatigue or something) that it would discourage players from just deforesting the map since they're so plentiful. Harvestable wood seems to be all over the place, though, so it hasn't been a big deal for me... yet. I'm sure that will change after I've spent a couple days clearing out the Coastal Townsite or something, though - I got lucky with the Random Start and landed in Coastal Highway, near Jackrabbit Island (the cabin had a rifle and a frozen corpse nearby had a box of rifle ammo next to him).

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

beats for junkies posted:

Yeah, the snow seems to be a bit much. And the tree thing is definitely weird, but it's likely a balance issue - I think chopping down trees would need to have a big enough cost (in time or fatigue or something) that it would discourage players from just deforesting the map since they're so plentiful. Harvestable wood seems to be all over the place, though, so it hasn't been a big deal for me... yet. I'm sure that will change after I've spent a couple days clearing out the Coastal Townsite or something, though - I got lucky with the Random Start and landed in Coastal Highway, near Jackrabbit Island (the cabin had a rifle and a frozen corpse nearby had a box of rifle ammo next to him).

I'm on day 128 right now and I can see wood becoming a real problem. I've scoured the area around where I'm shacked up and wood seems pretty sparse. Even if I'm able to go the next 70 days without having to leave the map for wood it'll take a shitload of time and effort to get it, especially with the new stamina changes. I made the trip from the Farmhouse in Pleasant Valley up to Signal Hill, which took 2 hours from a full rest, and I was tired by the time I got there.

I might even have to forgo my strategy of mostly eating rabbits I'd snared simply because, pound for pound, they carry fewer calories than deer or bear meat does. Hunting bears or chasing deer into wolves will probably have to become my main source of nutrition simply because I won't have the fuel to cook all of the other meat I'd be able to snag with snares. Bears are obviously much riskier but even, best case scenario, if I'd get it in one or two shots (which I've never done) cooking ~35 pounds of meat takes ~8 logs of fir to completely cook. Not to mention water constraints that straight up requires fuel to obtain.

I'll have to see how it goes. Unless broken limbs and sticks respawn it'll be a lot more difficult to sustain anything.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

So is this basically The Long Dark thread since we don't have a designated one?

Anyway yeah, fennesz with bears they aren't anywhere near as aggressive as wolves are, and if you get near enough to one it'll turn towards you and slooowwly start to plod over to you. They don't actually start to charge until they're right up in your face or until you've shot them at least once. It gives you plenty of time to very carefully line up a shot to the forehead which drops them in one hit. Make sure you're not getting cold when you start to cut into them because it can take the better part of a day to harvest everything, they usually drop like 30 kgs of meat.

Don't even bother trying to kill them with the bow, I've never seen that work well enough.

Edit: also, when you're using the bow one hit to anywhere on the body will eventually kill a wolf, it just takes time so you've got to track them by the blood trail after they run off.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So is this basically The Long Dark thread since we don't have a designated one?

Looks like it.

I certainly know all of that about bears and wolves and my issue is most definitely with fuel and not hunting. Do branches/sticks/fallen limbs respawn as time goes on? I feel like they probably should as it'd be weird to be unable to gather any wood in a heavily wooded forest.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

fennesz posted:

I'm on day 128 right now and I can see wood becoming a real problem. I've scoured the area around where I'm shacked up and wood seems pretty sparse. Even if I'm able to go the next 70 days without having to leave the map for wood it'll take a shitload of time and effort to get it, especially with the new stamina changes. I made the trip from the Farmhouse in Pleasant Valley up to Signal Hill, which took 2 hours from a full rest, and I was tired by the time I got there.

I might even have to forgo my strategy of mostly eating rabbits I'd snared simply because, pound for pound, they carry fewer calories than deer or bear meat does. Hunting bears or chasing deer into wolves will probably have to become my main source of nutrition simply because I won't have the fuel to cook all of the other meat I'd be able to snag with snares. Bears are obviously much riskier but even, best case scenario, if I'd get it in one or two shots (which I've never done) cooking ~35 pounds of meat takes ~8 logs of fir to completely cook. Not to mention water constraints that straight up requires fuel to obtain.

I'll have to see how it goes. Unless broken limbs and sticks respawn it'll be a lot more difficult to sustain anything.

:stare:

Do you stay in one place and go out for supplies, or just carry everything with you?

I started a new game after dying of hypothermia and it started me inside the Hunter's Homestead, which included a rifle and ammo. Gotta make good use of this!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

fennesz posted:

Looks like it.

I certainly know all of that about bears and wolves and my issue is most definitely with fuel and not hunting. Do branches/sticks/fallen limbs respawn as time goes on? I feel like they probably should as it'd be weird to be unable to gather any wood in a heavily wooded forest.

I was wondering the same thing and went looking through the thread dedicated to the update on steam forums. Found this:

quote:

For outdoor fuel -- there are four types of harvestable items now. They all respawn over time, but at different rates. Likely you will have to move around the world in order to continue harvesting, depending on the density of the spawns and the type of fuel they spawn:

* Sticks (free to harvest, low-value for heat and fire duration; respawn most quickly)
* Branches (can break by hand but takes time/calories; gives you 2 sticks)
* Softwood Limb (need a hatchet to harvest these; produces Softwood (same fuel as before)
* Hardwood Limb (same as above but produces Hardwood)
Do surviving on one map's wood stock would be very hard, especially since presumably the wood re spawns all over and you'd have to waste loads of time crisscrossing the map to find it as it red pawns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I started a new game after dying of hypothermia and it started me inside the Hunter's Homestead, which included a rifle and ammo. Gotta make good use of this!
On the first game I started after the last update I started out in the Pleasant Valley farmhouse, found a rifle at 99% and two boxes of ammunition. After about 30 minutes of searching 3 of the other major spots in PV I had 17 more rounds :getin:

Then I I misjudged a headshot on a bear, he tore me new one before I could hit him again, and I bled out about 10 meters from the farmhouse where i had more than enough medical supplies :colbert:

Anyone know how effective torches are at keeping wolves back? I've only bothered to try 2-3 times and it's failed every time, even when brandishing it constantly but now that you can just grab one from any fire I might want to use them more.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 10, 2015