Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I'm waiting on the smart pants or smart hat

Let's skip that and go straight to smart underwear.

"Have you tried rebooting your drawers?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NippleFloss posted:

I've never worked at a place that didn't at least offer comp time at one-to-one for overtime hours and I'm going on my fifth job.

I get paid for work outside of specific hours, but the idea that you could leave early if nothing was happening is like, the holy grail.

Of course, I guess that would require that I get out of helpdesk type stuff.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 6, 2016

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Inspector_666 posted:

I get paid for work outside of specific hours, but the idea that you could leave early if nothing was happening is like, the holy grail.

Of course, I guess that would require that I get out of helpdesk type stuff.

Correct. Get into project oriented work and then hours behind much less important than meeting deadlines. Meet your deadlines early and you'll have more free time.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

TWBalls posted:

This is exactly the reason I want one. That and (if it's possible) loading it up with music so that I can work out and listen to music without having my big-rear end phone with me.

I'm on Android, so if I were to get one, it'd likely be a Samsung. I haven't really researched them all that much, so I don't know if they all require them to have a phone nearby or not. It's one of those "It'd be nice to have, but I'm not all that worried about it" type of things.

I'm old enough to remember the last time a "smart" watch tried to gain market share...

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Dark Helmut posted:

I'm old enough to remember the last time a "smart" watch tried to gain market share...

Can we bring these back in style?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Dark Helmut posted:

I have one of those in a box in my closet. Tempting

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ha. One of my best friends in high school had a calculator watch. It may have been literally the nerdiest thing ever and I was totally jealous :ssh:

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

Dark Helmut posted:

Do you not mean

built in tv remote, not just the boring calculator

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dick Trauma posted:

Let's skip that and go straight to smart underwear.

"Have you tried rebooting your drawers?"

I wouldn't want a core dump from one of them.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

fluppet posted:

Do you not mean

Years back I was attending a seminar for substitute teachers and one of the presenters was talking about "Worst Day" stories from subs, one of which involved her son. He was apparently tormenting the sub by turning the classroom TV off in the middle of a program during class. He finally got caught and his mom had to beg to not have him suspended. The school confiscated his watch, and his dad lit his rear end up. Mom thought it was fair.

I've always wanted to find one of those watches ever since.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Inspector_666 posted:

Essentially, finding the "right" place to work is hit-or-miss with the odds squarely stacked against you, and once you do get a hit, it becomes a FYGM situation. Even then, it doesn't preclude being fired for no reason or myriad other ways lack of labor law screws you.

Lil Miss Clackamas fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 10, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
We have a flat organizational structure. That said, if we can imagine a hierarchy, you would drat sure be near the bottom of it. Therefore, when an email comes in to our team's distribution group, you do not have the authority to reply 30 minutes later asking who is "taking ownership of this request". We will get to it when we get to it. If the speed at which your own team works is a problem for you, you should do some of the work yourself. Further, when you then add a CC for our boss, and our boss's boss, you just look like a dick.

Is there any way for me to phrase this email which doesn't cause me more trouble than its worth?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there a difference between "CIO" and "CTO" or are they basically the same thing?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is there any way for me to phrase this email which doesn't cause me more trouble than its worth?

Go with the Multiplayer Online Game Company Method.

"We are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience. =D"

Generic, non-committal, doesn't identify any scapegoats or whipping boys, but still tells them they aren't being ignored. Send this exact message every time they passive-aggressively try and hold your feet to the fire. They'll either be happy with the acknowledgement or they'll get the hint.

Personally I'd be tempted to ignore those kinds of prodding messages entirely, but most bosses are going to squawk about "service-oriented," which usually translates to "let everyone we service walk all over you."

Edit: I may have misread your problem here. Your use of 2nd person pronouns makes it very unclear what is going on.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 10, 2014

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

myron cope posted:

Is there a difference between "CIO" and "CTO" or are they basically the same thing?
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tech-sanity-check/sanity-check-whats-the-difference-between-cio-and-cto/

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

myron cope posted:

EDIT: :argh:

Ganon
May 24, 2003

myron cope posted:

Weird, I was just looking at the wiki page for this earlier. "A CIO is likely to solve organizational problems through acquiring and adapting existing technologies (especially those of an IT nature), whereas a CTO principally oversees development of new technologies (of various types). Many large companies have both positions. A CTO is focused on technology integral to products being sold to customers or clients, while a CIO is a more internally oriented position focused on technology needed for running the company."

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

We have a flat organizational structure. That said, if we can imagine a hierarchy, you would drat sure be near the bottom of it. Therefore, when an email comes in to our team's distribution group, you do not have the authority to reply 30 minutes later asking who is "taking ownership of this request". We will get to it when we get to it. If the speed at which your own team works is a problem for you, you should do some of the work yourself. Further, when you then add a CC for our boss, and our boss's boss, you just look like a dick.

Personally I would type up the whole thing and then end up not sending it because every time I hit send on something I second guess it has quite often turned into a back and forth pissing contest. It is better to discuss it has a team, in a non-confrontational matter. More of a "How can we improve this" rather than "Don't be a dick"

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

"Every time I have to stop working to check my email and send you a status report it delays the actual work being done. If you're not hearing from us it's because we are working on your issue. We will give you a status when we have one. Now kindly gently caress off."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

"Every time I have to stop working to check my email and send you a status report it delays the actual work being done. If you're not hearing from us it's because we are working on your issue. We will give you a status when we have one. Now kindly gently caress off."
Constant updates are a waste of time, but if I've got a P1 incident open I expect an update every 2 hours on the outside.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

:yotj: I got my first long term IT job :yotj:

Starting Monday I am going to be doing desktop support for a hospital for at least 2 months (Will most likely be extended.). Any tips on how not to embarrass my self? Also how long before my excitement is replaced with bitterness and self-loathing?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

awesomebrah posted:

Starting Monday I am going to be doing desktop support for a hospital for at least 2 months (Will most likely be extended.). Any tips on how not to embarrass my self? Also how long before my excitement is replaced with bitterness and self-loathing?

Do you want technical tips or people tips?

On the technical side, it depends on the technology you're working with and I can't comment on anything Hospital specific. Powershell is a neat tool if you're in a windows environment and it won't stop being useful.

On the people side of things, here's an easy tip: If you tend to sound too formal in your written correspondence, throw in a smiley face. There's a huge difference between:

quote:

Frank,
Your Email is now configured.
Please let me know if you need additional assistance,

Thanks,
John

quote:

Frank,
Your Email is now configured.
Please let me know if you need additional assistance :)

Thanks,
John

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

awesomebrah posted:

That's awesome brah! (heh heh)

Don't act like you know all the answers, but don't be afraid to say something (when) you see some dome poo poo. Be ready to learn. Dress professionally (or at least dress appropriately for the environment).

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Oh, if this is your first desk job and you're making a little more money, this is a great time to start going to the gym. Sitting all day is awful for your back.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Oh, if this is your first desk job and you're making a little more money, this is a great time to start going to the gym. Sitting all day is awful for your back.

This, do deadlifts or you'll regret it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I regretted it for so long.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

awesomebrah posted:

Starting Monday I am going to be doing desktop support for a hospital for at least 2 months (Will most likely be extended.)
My condolences.

Agreed with the others advice of joining a gym. They may even have an option where you can use the PT gym during certain hours. Ours does. It's a drat good way to burn off stress (and calories).

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

awesomebrah posted:

Hmm, three tips that probably fall more on the "soft skills" side of things but I wish I was told them when I started.

1. Customer service can be just as important as fixing the problem. Obviously you don't have to kiss the ground end users walk on, but at the same time don't let the "end users are so stupid" attitude affect how you deal with people. Staying calm, and explaining to a user why you need to do something can be incredibly useful for calming down a situation - and improve the customer <-> IT relationship. I was never rude but I definitely got a bit jaded at some point, sounded unenthusiastic etc. which affected the customer opinion of me and can reflect badly on your team/company.

2. Manage expectations. There's a good book that's been mentioned a few times called "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" - A children's book that essentially lays out how demands, requirements etc can quickly spiral out of control as the sense of entitlement from the customer grows. In the book's case, the mouse was given a cookie. Of course, that means he needs some milk to drink. But once he's eaten the cookie, he still has half a glass of milk. So he gets another cookie and finishes off the milk. But then he's got half a cookie...

In your case let's say a customer's called in with a problem; their EMR software isn't connecting to the server, and the error message you're receiving is gibberish. You don't support the software, a vendor/different team does.

Before you start work, explain to the client that you don't support the software however you'll check the computer to make sure there aren't any "vanilla" reasons why it's not working (no network connection to the PC, program needs to be updated etc.) - but if necessary, you'll need to escalate to the team who does support the product. It stops dead the customer/client making unreasonable demands (Fix the entire thing now!!!!one) and means you won't get bogged down.

3. Dress well. Not that I was a complete slob (or you are) but... just don't be goonish and do the bare minimum.

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Sep 10, 2014

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

fluppet posted:

Do you not mean

No, he meant and

Timex Datalink. Phone numbers, appointments, lists, etc. And the first model was wireless! You could upload data just by holding it in front of your monitor (CRT only, up to Win98 only)! Second version ditched the optical sensor and went USB. I had both models. The second one died thanks to a rainy day at Disneyland.

Sometimes I get tech crap in my mailboxes at work. Usually a mouse or cable someone found laying around. Today's present was a treat: a 3-port MIDI card for an Apple IIe from 1985. Some teacher has had that crammed in the back of a cupboard for almost 30 years.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

And take showers on a regular basis with soap...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Oh!
This probably applies to all sorts of jobs, but don't let it go to your head. IT workers get paid well and depending on where you work, you'll be better paid than a lot of the people at your company. If you're at a hospital you might not make as much as the doctors, but you'll make more than the cooks in the kitchen and the people who clean linens (and things).

Hospitals have been around for a lot longer than computers. The only reason you're there is to make life easier for other people. You're not better than anyone else in the building so treat everyone with respect, especially the people with lovely jobs. In short: "Be nice to people on the way up because you'll meet the same people on the way down"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

awesomebrah posted:

You're probably going to run into a lot of stupid procedures or ways of doing things that are obviously inefficient or costing the company money or something that you have the perfect solution for. Ignore the impulse to try and fix these things, and just do the job you were brought in to do. Nobody likes the new guy coming in and telling them how wrong they're doing everything, even if it's the truth (especially if it's the truth).

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Earlier I mentioned soft-skills. Technical skills now:

The first phone call to the client after they've reported the problem is in my view the most important phone call of the entire ticket. Clients/users will frequently say "X is broken. It wasn't broken yesterday." and leave it at that, with the onus on you to fix. However they could have a lot more information that would help resolve their problem. So if possible make sure you ask as many questions as you can so you're not going in blind.

Areas to consider:

- Has the customer made any changes recently? (Upgraded software, changed password, moved computer across the office)
- Can the user replicate the problem? If they can, make them replicate it in front of you and note down the steps.
- How many users is this affecting? Is this affecting users at multiple offices/sites?
- Is there a workaround they can use in the meantime whilst you work on the ticket?

Sometimes you might not be able to solve a particular ticket, and need to escalate it to 2nd line. This is of course fine, but a lot of 1st line technicians will put the bare minimum of effort in before escalating to 2nd line. They might try one thing, and then just hand it over, as if it's no longer a problem if it's out of your queue. What you should be doing is ensuring you've exhausted all possible 1st line approaches before sending to 2nd line. When you do, consider:

- What have I tried so far? What errors did I get?
- What haven't I tried? Why not?
- What does 2nd line need to be aware of? (Changes made, multiple users affected etc).

This'll help your guys out, they'll like you a lot more. Make sure you follow up with them for any tickets you escalate, too, or even sit in on them working on it. It'll help you to grow technically and prove to them you're eager to work hard. Can really help if there's a spot on 2nd line free and you want to move up :toot:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Che Delilas posted:

You're probably going to run into a lot of stupid procedures or ways of doing things that are obviously inefficient or costing the company money or something that you have the perfect solution for. Ignore the impulse to try and fix these things, and just do the job you were brought in to do. Nobody likes the new guy coming in and telling them how wrong they're doing everything, even if it's the truth (especially if it's the truth).

I'm going to disagree with this. It depends a lot on the culture you're working in, I just hired 3 new guys and I'm letting them run wild with crazy solutions to problems that I've either not had time to deal with, or I haven't been able to see them as problems due to being here too long etc. Some of what they do may end up getting shot down, but for now I want to harness their newbie enthusiasm as much as possible.

In saying that, don't just say "This is dumb, do it this way instead". You need to ask WHY they are doing it that way? It could be a bad reason, such as "We did this due to a software bug for an application we no longer use, and then it was just habit", in which case your suggested improvement should be welcome. Or they could be doing a dumb thing for a very valid reason, such as "legal reasons" which in medical IT you'll probably come across a lot.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tab8715 posted:

Man I better start writing some of this poo poo down.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

I used to have a Seiko MessgeWatch that was partnered with MS (I think). I used to get sports scores, weather and short text messages. This was back in 1995.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tab8715 posted:

I have never met someone like this who gets past the interview process. How anyone would do it at a hospital is beyond me.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

http://freedomhacker.net/five-million-gmail-usernames-passwords-leaked/

Bad day for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

fluppet posted:

Do you not mean

Had one of those when I was like 9 or 10 and used to gently caress with the TVs at school. Teacher had no idea :getin: