Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Boon posted:

He just needs ornamentation I think.

If he's a level 4 then he's going to have been around for a while. As it stands it kind of looks like a level 1 who learned how to put a ghost from the book of spells and just dug out a graveyard for some skin. A ghostly familiar hanging around his feet may be called for, as well as some sort of necro-style jewelry/arcane items.

Hm, good point. I wanted to make him some sort of mad king who devolved into using necromancy to prop up his failing body, so I should probably bling him out a little. Maybe an ornamental sword on his side, some skulls hanging from his belt, that sorta thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

An upcoming paint range that is looking awesome are Velljo's Game Air range. They aren't out yet, but they are likely gonna have that awesome P3 type consistency (great for airbrushes) while offering lots more GW type colors.

One of the gaming shops I buy from has Vallejo Game Air in stock—The Combat Company in Australia. If they have stock, it should be available in plenty of other places.

While I do have a set of Minitaire paints, Game Air is pretty tempting. I'll have to grab some of the metallics at least.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10

Slimnoid posted:

Hm, good point. I wanted to make him some sort of mad king who devolved into using necromancy to prop up his failing body, so I should probably bling him out a little. Maybe an ornamental sword on his side, some skulls hanging from his belt, that sorta thing.

A ghostly familiar, representative of past glory or whatever, holding a tattered banner with a dinged crown on top would look pretty cool, but I've no idea how it'll fit onto the base. Maybe use one of those new leering sweeping ghosts from Warhammer coming out of his coat?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slimnoid posted:

Alright I'm at a loss here.

This guy is going to be a necromancer in my Vampire Counts army. Level 4, so he's obviously supposed to be an imposing motherfucker, but I feel there's something...missing, to it. My options as I see them thus far, are thus:

1) Some sort of ghostly figure clinging/looking over his back. I really like the idea but nothing I have seems to fit the mental image I have in my head (and gently caress sculpting it).

2) Faces on his back. Part of the coat or something along those lines, in moaning anguish. Might look good, but I might gently caress it up too. Painting the faces on would be the safest option, but it'd lack the sense of depth that sculpted ones would.

3) Leave it the gently caress alone and just paint it.

So, yeah. Thoughts?

Put him on a pile of bones being reanimated and some swirly ghost or magic effects like dark elf sorceresses

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I need some advice on Green Stuff alternatives. I need a putty that is suited to crisp detail and less sticky than Green.

It's essentially for push-moulding stuff (bases) and I've found that Green doesn't take the detail very well and sticks to the mould really badly, further distorting the detail when it's pulled away.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ineptmule posted:

I need some advice on Green Stuff alternatives. I need a putty that is suited to crisp detail and less sticky than Green.

Brown Stuff is supposed to hold edges (like swords, etc.) better than GS.

Also, try spraying olive oil cooking spray in the molds, or use actual mold release maybe (but it costs a lot more).

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Slimnoid posted:

This guy is going to be a necromancer in my Vampire Counts army. Level 4, so he's obviously supposed to be an imposing motherfucker, but I feel there's something...missing, to it. My options as I see them thus far, are thus:

1) Some sort of ghostly figure clinging/looking over his back. I really like the idea but nothing I have seems to fit the mental image I have in my head (and gently caress sculpting it).

2) Faces on his back. Part of the coat or something along those lines, in moaning anguish. Might look good, but I might gently caress it up too. Painting the faces on would be the safest option, but it'd lack the sense of depth that sculpted ones would.

So, yeah. Thoughts?

Love this model! Call me old-fashioned, but a wizard ought to have a staff, a big chunky one with a horned skull, bat or similar mystic wotnot on the end. Pin it part-sunk into the base at the right angle, and the whole figure would seem more imposing.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

ineptmule posted:

It's essentially for push-moulding stuff (bases) and I've found that Green doesn't take the detail very well and sticks to the mould really badly, further distorting the detail when it's pulled away.

Magic sculpt or pro-create, possibly mixed with greenstuff.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Cool, thanks guys. I'll look into those options.

Does Brown Stuff go by another name? (eg. Green is Kneadatite)

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Slimnoid posted:

So, yeah. Thoughts?

It looks good so far. I'd be tempted to sculpt his coat as if it was stitched together from patches of skin, then paint it various skin tones.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

ineptmule posted:

:D

http://lethemonster.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/putties.html

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

The Deathwatch is basically a group of Marines who go around hunting aliens.

Ooh, looks like they have semi-custom armor too. Great.

rantmo posted:

When my hands shake, I tend to plant both elbows firmly on the table and grip my right wrist with my left hand, locking it into place. Putting as much weight onto my elbows as is comfortable takes the tension out of my hands and gives me several solid points of contact. If I'm holding a mini and am getting shaky, I'll usually press the point of my left pinky onto the heel of my right hand for that extra contact. I'm also pretty new at painting and doing nothing at all fancy, but that helps keep my hands steady.

Thanks, I'll try that out. Group pics once they and the Rhino/Razorback are done.

Edit: Dang it, Deathwatch requires shoulder pauldrons I don't have. Where should I get those?

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 9, 2014

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Lethemonster, that is a great set of guides and resources on your blog there. I hope you keep adding to it!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

Put him on a pile of bones being reanimated and some swirly ghost or magic effects like dark elf sorceresses

I do have the wizard that game from the Isle of Blood set. I might be able to cannibalize the swirling energy he's floating on...

Galaspar posted:

Love this model! Call me old-fashioned, but a wizard ought to have a staff, a big chunky one with a horned skull, bat or similar mystic wotnot on the end. Pin it part-sunk into the base at the right angle, and the whole figure would seem more imposing.

I was going to set some fence posts in there but that's a better idea.

Fearless posted:

It looks good so far. I'd be tempted to sculpt his coat as if it was stitched together from patches of skin, then paint it various skin tones.

That'd be too much of a hassle. 'sides, I plan to paint it dark with the ends trailing off to a ghostly turquoise.

ineptmule posted:

Cool, thanks guys. I'll look into those options.

Does Brown Stuff go by another name? (eg. Green is Kneadatite)

http://www.polymericsystems.com/epoxies-adhesives/epoxy-putty-tapes/where-to-buy-kneadatite-brown-neutral.htm

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Awesome, thanks Ms Monster!

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Also, is Dark Heresy a good starter set to buy? There's one at my LGS with the extra 38th figure and no "wrong edition" warning sticker.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

An Angry Bug posted:

Also, is Dark Heresy a good starter set to buy? There's one at my LGS with the extra 38th figure and no "wrong edition" warning sticker.
Dark Vengeance you mean? Yeah, if you want to play either Chaos or Dark Angels it's a good starter set. The models are great, even if the rules for those two armies aren't the strongest.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Do you mean Dark Vengeance? Dark Heresy is the 40K RPG game. I'm playing it at the moment, and it's fun and all but it's not the miniatures set :)

But yeah Dark Vengeance is a decent deal. Just make sure it has the correct rulebook inside - a retailer may not have necessarily put a 6th edition 'warning' sticker on the outside. But you might be able to talk them down in price if you argue it's an older rulebook.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the quick answers. Yeah, meant Dark Vengeance. Good to hear. I'll make sure to check which rulebook it is. The guys at the counter there are real nice though, so I'd feel kinda bad about haggling with them. Might still ask, but if I have to buy that rulebook pack too, so be it.

Edit: Also SRM you are amazing.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

An Angry Bug posted:

Thanks for the quick answers. Yeah, meant Dark Vengeance. Good to hear. I'll make sure to check which rulebook it is. The guys at the counter there are real nice though, so I'd feel kinda bad about haggling with them. Might still ask, but if I have to buy that rulebook pack too, so be it.

Edit: Also SRM you are amazing.

Don't feel bad about haggling - the 7th edition rulebook set is £70 or whatever the equivalent in shekels or rubles you pay in. You can find the new mini-rulebook on ebay if you're lucky, but it was about £20 or more after the Sanctus Reach box set came out (the Orks/Space Wolves set that was released a couple of months ago), and it's £35+ now.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Just got home and opened the Dark Vengeance set. These miniatures are not remotely as good as the tactical squad ones. The bikes are only three pieces, for crying out loud!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

An Angry Bug posted:

Just got home and opened the Dark Vengeance set. These miniatures are not remotely as good as the tactical squad ones. The bikes are only three pieces, for crying out loud!
They're designed to just snap together. However, the detail on them is REALLY good.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, absolutely. Just wish I could pose them.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

An Angry Bug posted:

Edit: Dang it, Deathwatch requires shoulder pauldrons I don't have. Where should I get those?

Easiest solution is to order Deathwatch shoulder pads from GW webstore. They are metallic though, and not quite as large as modern shoulder pads, but the size difference, IMO, isn't noticeable.

The Space Marine Commander kit has one, and Command Squad has two Deathwatch shoulder pads, which are correctly sized, but buying those boxes just for the couple of pads gets expensive fast.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

An Angry Bug posted:

Oh, absolutely. Just wish I could pose them.

You asked if it was a good starter set. It is. One of the things that makes it a good starter is the finely detailed models that go together easily and don't require loving around with a billion fiddly parts per model.

Be careful what you wish for ... :q:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Damned jokaero paw...

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

An Angry Bug posted:

That's sort of a "GI Joes vs McFarlane Toys" argument. Tacticals are poseable and awesome but sort of plain to facilitate that. DV dudes are static but that means they can be way more awesomely posed and detailed since they only ever have to look good one way.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
On the plus(?) side, I can just buy more kits.

Doctor Zero posted:

Be careful what you wish for ... :q:
Just make action figures already. :argh:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

I think I'm about done with this.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
HEY!

:golfclap:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

I think I'm about done with this.

Much improved!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

quote:

Z Putty Patrollers

:golfclap:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Finished up Dozer & Smigg for my Trollbloods tonight. Super fun model to paint.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Oodles posted:

I've been away from painting for about 2 years, and have just decided I want to try and singlehandedly save GW from bankrupcy.

I'm guessing their paints aren't the best around, what's the consensus for the good quality paints?

Italeri make some great paints, good tight pigment and bright vibrant colours. And the come in dropper bottles.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Custom Dark Eldar objective markers.

Cannibal Smiley fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 10, 2014

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Gotta say there is something relaxing about doing vehicles. I think the cockpit windows came out good enough but I was wondering what you guys think.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Fyrbrand posted:

Finished up Dozer & Smigg for my Trollbloods tonight. Super fun model to paint.

Rad as always, love that blue

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Painting my first vehicle, the Stormwolf gunship. So far, I've just got the cockpit done. Wanted to finish it before I put the rest of the ship together around it.

Ignore the fuckery that Google did when it automatically uploaded from my phone. I don't know why it felt it needed a border, but apparently it did.

Decided to give Zenithal shading a try. Started with the rattlecan The Fang, but discovered quickly that it was to humid for that when it fuzzed pretty much instantly. You can still kind of see where I tried to wipe it off. Got most of the fuzz removed, and started again with the airbrush. Went on much better. Then moved onto Russ Grey and Fenrisian Grey. It doesn't look great, but I can see where I hosed up, and I think it'll go much better the next time. Mostly I just need to make sure I go much lighter with the midtone and highlight than I did the first time. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Especially since the worst areas probably shouldn't show once I place it into the rest of the model. Have to be very careful to mask it well when I paint. Any suggestions on that?

Also haven't decided on which symbol to use on his pauldron. I'm in the 41st Electronic Combat Squadron, and our colors are blue and yellow, so I'm half-tempted to try freehanding our squadron patch onto his shoulder, or else try some scorpion motif (our nickname is "The Scorpions"). Alternately, I'll just use the decals.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

JackMann posted:

Also haven't decided on which symbol to use on his pauldron. I'm in the 41st Electronic Combat Squadron, and our colors are blue and yellow, so I'm half-tempted to try freehanding our squadron patch onto his shoulder, or else try some scorpion motif (our nickname is "The Scorpions"). Alternately, I'll just use the decals.

Forgeworld has Red Scorpion decal sheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
A work in progress shot of the Malifuax crew I mentioned a few pages back. Everyone in my group is doing a mini (although I've done the basing to tie them all together) for a mate who has just been diagnosed with cancer.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 10, 2014

• Locked thread