Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FuzzySkinner posted:

See remove the bullshit about "The Chase" and you could....could have a funny marketing campaign.

The idea of Jimmie Johnson driving the stockcar around with a megaphone is a good set up.

Now hand that to a group of comedians and let them have fun with it.

The group of comedians would be Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Jack Black, Will Ferrell, Steve Carell, Jimmy Fallon, and any other have beens/never weres NASCAR would deem entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
How quickly we forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRloGVpzMnk

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

If there's a more crystalline image of the disconnect in reality between how NASCAR sees its own image VS what it actually is than that token hispanic family I have yet to see it

I thought about saying something about that but I figured the best course of action is we pretend it never happened and never mention it again

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This needs To be the theme song for the chase. It plays in my head each time I see the thread title.

http://youtu.be/qJcs-AYU7-k

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

This popped on an online charity action for the Browns. Why? I have no idea, but there is absolutely nothing tied to the Browns in terms of the actual prize.

https://www.biddingforgood.com/auction/item/item.action?id=221250581

But question, how much would this cost me total in theory?

Mainly asking because I know CBJ has done the 400 before for example.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

FuzzySkinner posted:

This popped on an online charity action for the Browns. Why? I have no idea, but there is absolutely nothing tied to the Browns in terms of the actual prize.

Depends on what they are calling a Pit Pass. On the Daytona 500 website, I could get 2 tickets, and 2 Sprint Fanzone passes, which apparently get you on-track for pre race and driver intros for $90 a person, and, depending on where you would want to sit, 2 race tickets for anywhere from $42 to $200 a person, so theoretically, you could get track access and 2 tickets for the race for $270.

Unless pit pass gets you a lot more access, it doesn't seem all that expensive to do, especially if it is a "I'm gonna do this once in my life" type deals (one of these years I'm gonna do something like that for the Indy 500, I keep telling myself).

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Once Sandler and James pop up in a Framily ad, we'll have achieved a singluarity of awful.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I think that commercial made me hate the idea even more.

TODAY AT HOMESTEAD, FOUR OF THESE DRIVERS MATTER.

"...................have a good day."

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kwik posted:

Depends on what they are calling a Pit Pass. On the Daytona 500 website, I could get 2 tickets, and 2 Sprint Fanzone passes, which apparently get you on-track for pre race and driver intros for $90 a person, and, depending on where you would want to sit, 2 race tickets for anywhere from $42 to $200 a person, so theoretically, you could get track access and 2 tickets for the race for $270.

I wonder if Daytona would even be the race you'd want to do VIP at?

Like it would seem like things would be a lot more high stress among drivers/teams/security if you hanging around the pits during that whole race.

I've also heard NASCAR officials are kind of dicks and refuse to let you anywhere near the cars/take pictures of the cars.

I think if you were going to go VIP? The Glen or Sears Points would be better bets, though I could be wrong on that. LASTCAR always seemed like he gets in good there, though he is a part of the media, and well...the king of sears point.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The more I think about Talladega being an elimination race, the more excited I get. loving Talladega is a goddamn elimination race. It's like NASCAR realized how loving stupid this thing was and decided the best course of action was to make it stupider.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

FuzzySkinner posted:

I wonder if Daytona would even be the race you'd want to do VIP at?

Like it would seem like things would be a lot more high stress among drivers/teams/security if you hanging around the pits during that whole race.

I've also heard NASCAR officials are kind of dicks and refuse to let you anywhere near the cars/take pictures of the cars.

I think if you were going to go VIP? The Glen or Sears Points would be better bets, though I could be wrong on that. LASTCAR always seemed like he gets in good there, though he is a part of the media, and well...the king of sears point.

I recommend Sears Point to anyone for just about any reason. :)

For the NASCAR weekend, the track's really expanded fan access over the last few years to make it easier to get cold passes and access to pit road and driver intros during pre-race. Just this past year, we had our first outdoor driver's meeting where fans could watch. I imagine the difference for VIPs is being able to go to those places when the track is hot, and being able to participate in the socials the staff sets up at Fisherman's Wharf and/or local wineries during race week. The track admin staff is really friendly and helpful, too, and they keep to a minute-by-minute schedule during NASCAR weekend to make sure their VIPs get where they need to be. Joey Chestnut, the hot dog eating champ, was the main attraction this year and he seemed like he was everywhere.

I can't really comment on the NASCAR officials themselves, as I've tended to stay out of their way. But I can say that, even with basic fan access, you can get really close to the cars. The picture of me in front of the #19 car on my website's banner was taken a few months before I got my media credentials.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cubey posted:

The more I think about Talladega being an elimination race, the more excited I get. loving Talladega is a goddamn elimination race. It's like NASCAR realized how loving stupid this thing was and decided the best course of action was to make it stupider.

when someone dies it's gonna seem like such an amazing idea

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

LASTCAR posted:

I recommend Sears Point to anyone for just about any reason. :)

For the NASCAR weekend, the track's really expanded fan access over the last few years to make it easier to get cold passes and access to pit road and driver intros during pre-race. Just this past year, we had our first outdoor driver's meeting where fans could watch. I imagine the difference for VIPs is being able to go to those places when the track is hot, and being able to participate in the socials the staff sets up at Fisherman's Wharf and/or local wineries during race week. The track admin staff is really friendly and helpful, too, and they keep to a minute-by-minute schedule during NASCAR weekend to make sure their VIPs get where they need to be. Joey Chestnut, the hot dog eating champ, was the main attraction this year and he seemed like he was everywhere.

I can't really comment on the NASCAR officials themselves, as I've tended to stay out of their way. But I can say that, even with basic fan access, you can get really close to the cars. The picture of me in front of the #19 car on my website's banner was taken a few months before I got my media credentials.

For what it's worth, the auction listing that started this does say that the passes are "hot" infield passes, so the access level might be a bit higher. Still, I would think that it wouldn't add a massive amount to the overall cost, and, even still, going by the DIS website, the best seats available plus the fanzone access would run you $290 a person, which isn't bad at all.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was at that race and had suppressed the memory of that. My brother, who doesn't watch NASCAR, watched because I was there and immediately texted me saying "What the gently caress was that?".

LASTCAR posted:

Once Sandler and James pop up in a Framily ad, we'll have achieved a singluarity of awful.

The NASCAR Framily ad will be the guys I mentioned above, including Seth Rogen, Other Seth Rogen (Jason Segel), Jonah Hill, and Kevin James.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Worst part is they don't tell you where the seats are. They could be on the backstretch e- or worse, the Kyle Larson NASCAR 3D Experience section.

I did the 500 in 2008, which I think was the last year before they dumped the prices by about half. The tickets (one person) for the 150s, Trucks, NNS, and the 500 were like $632 out the door. That didn't include pit passes, airfare, or hotel. If you do it, consider taking Allegiant (what do I get for that plug, SRA?) out of Youngstown to Sanford and renting a car, because flying into Daytona directly is going to be pricy. You might be able to try whoever does Akron-Orlando non-stop now or Frontier non-stop to Orlando (e- Out of Cleveland), but Frontier can go gently caress themselves, fly Allegiant instead.

The hot passes WOULD be worth it, because you can mill around the garage surprisingly freely. The group I was with got Rick Hendrick's autograph, got to walk up and talk to soon-to-be-500-winner Ryan Newman, walked between the pit boxes and the fence to the FanZone, onto pit road and the frontstretch grass for the pre-race stuff. I also have a lugnut off Jeff Gordon's car. So, yeah.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 9, 2014

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So the chase is get into the last race and finish better then 3 other guys? Now that is some excitement. There should be an incentive to steal the championship by winning the race with all 4 of them a lap down.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Ken Schrader was fined $2,000 recently for this effort firesuit:

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS

CBJSprague24 posted:

Was there, can confirm that firesuit owns as hard as it looks

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Harvick and Stewart are swapping pit crews for the Chase.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

At least they're not poaching crews mid-race at Texas after Stewart got right-reared by somebody else.

Was there, can confirm that firesuit owns as hard as it looks

Did he tape those sponsor patches on with 200 mph tape? Because if he did, :tviv:.

e- NASCARcasm's comparative study of the Chase vs. The Sweet 16 in the NCAA Basketball Tournament was picked up by NASCAR.com.

NASCAR.com's staff basically went "Haha, haha, yeah, real funny, why didn't we THINK OF IT BEFORE? PIMP THE poo poo OUT OF THAT IDEA AND START COMPARING DRIVERS TO BASKETBALL TEAMS" :supaburn:

It's surprisingly accurate. Jimmiebot is Duke. gently caress Jimmie. gently caress Duke!

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/blogs/inside-groove/nascarcasm-blog-nascar-chase-grid-vs-ncaaa-tournament-bracket.html

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 10, 2014

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

It was last year's DuQuoin race.

Ken Schrader > You.

Ken Schrader > Me.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CBJSprague24 posted:

That suit is ARCA as gently caress.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

NASCAR.com's staff basically went "Haha, haha, yeah, real funny, why didn't we THINK OF IT BEFORE? PIMP THE poo poo OUT OF THAT IDEA AND START COMPARING DRIVERS TO BASKETBALL TEAMS"

Thank God they have Brad Daugherty to lend his expertise. Brian Frances plan is coming together perfect :smug:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

maffew buildings posted:

Thank God they have Brad Daugherty to lend his expertise. Brian Frances plan is coming together perfect :smug:

Jimmie Johnson is to the Bulls as AJ Allmendinger is to Daugherty's Cavs.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

Jimmie Johnson is to the Bulls as AJ Allmendinger is to Daugherty's Cavs.

:smith:.

But hey LeBron's back at least. So there's that.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

FuzzySkinner posted:

:smith:.

But hey LeBron's back at least. So there's that.

No no no, Daugherty's Cavs. With Mark Price. And Craig Ehlo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Mike Joy is making less than complimentary comments about the Chase, guys.

quote:

Joy: On the other hand, the next three races could be much like last year's mindset -- race to win, but be SURE you get a good finish. So does that mean "points racing" is back?

We just don't know yet if this format will reward their strategy ... consistent top finishes, lead or win when you can.

Sure. And once again we'll start hearing, "Well, we had a good points day."

I definitely liked the regular season. Win to get in, and the tension of the final two or three spots made it very entertaining. I also have misgivings about the manufactured aspect of four drivers fighting in the final race, however. Who didn't like the Carl (Edwards) vs. Tony (Stewart) finale when it was winner-take-all at Homestead?

Ok, those are all valid, non-inflammatory po--

quote:

Joy: Richmond Sobriety Test: Explain the Chase Elimination format.

Joy: Lemme see ... okay, first there's the pretender round ... How many cars and how many races in that one???

Menzer: So we're going to mark you down as a "No" on whether you like the Chase elimination format, Mike! I'm a yes. That leaves the tiebreaker to you, Jay.

Joy: Whoa, I'm still a yes ... with the possible exception of the final round. Oh wait, it isn't a "round" because it's only one race. So what is it?

So who's in your (oops, we can't say final four) championship race?

:thurman:

Somebody get him some security before the NASCAR Gestapo come to his house. :ohdear:

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/sha...com:nascaronfox

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
Mike Joy has gotten increasingly worse the last few years, so if NASCAR finds him, let them have him.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

quote:

Pennell: Unlike in past years, one bad race will not end your title run, like what happened to Dale Earnhardt Jr. last season.
Seriously, I understand (but still don't like) when commentators mindlessly carry water for NASCAR's bad choices (remember how exited they all were for the COT and how equally exited they all were for its demise?), but this is not only untrue, it is the literal opposite of true.

Last year, Kenseth won 7 races and wouldn't have even qualified for the final round. Earnhardt won 0 races and would have won the chamipnship. The elimination system actually makes "one bad race" much worse than it would have been before, which is still worse than in the pre-chase era.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

That's a lot of races to win. I wondered "Who won the cup last year?" and was looking forward to learning something new then my brain went "It was loving Jimmy Johnson" and welp. Congrats NASCAR, you create formats to where I already know Jimmy Johnson wins the loving championship despite watching for all of four weeks or whatever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Harveygod posted:

The elimination system actually makes "one bad race" much worse than it would have been before, which is still worse than in the pre-chase era.

ex-loving-actly, and as the penalty for having individual bad races gets worse and worse, guess what, the incentive to race conservatively keeps increasing. Nobody is thinking this poo poo through.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fag Boy Jim posted:

ex-loving-actly, and as the penalty for having individual bad races gets worse and worse, guess what, the incentive to race conservatively keeps increasing. Nobody is thinking this poo poo through.

Gold medal system is that you?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I mean, it's a bad system, but "title goes to whoever has the most wins" is unironically a better system than any of the Chase systems that have been attempted so far.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

It'll all be worth it when Talladega eliminates Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr., ending the season-long battle between the two most popular drivers.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
you never want

Cubey posted:

It'll all be worth it when Talladega eliminates Jeff Gordon and Dale Jr., ending the season-long battle between the two most popular drivers.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Talladega race will be even more boring and anticlimactic than last fall's single-file parade.

Although I'm struggling to imagine what that would look like.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Fag Boy Jim posted:

It's because none of the jokers in charge understands math. To make finishing up front more important than not finishing way back, they should have made the points more graduated. Instead, in 2011 they literally did the opposite and made it 1 point per position all the way down.

Forget winning for a moment: Passing for position 2 is worth the same as passing for position 42.

Some Random Asshole
Apr 30, 2006

HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS HATS
Said it before, saying it again: Return the original chase points system and make it 4 races long. Sudden death format naturally promotes aggressive racing, one bad race won't necessarily kill you, and it shortens the whole thing to one action-packed month and simultaneously gets it out of the way of the majority of the NFL juggernaut. Problem solved

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

simultaneously gets it out of the way of the majority of the NFL juggernaut. Problem solved

Seriously the "Chase for ratings" should end the weekend of the last preseason game. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There should not be a Chase.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

4 races, make them double points.

Daytona 500
Alabama 500
Coca Cola 600
Southern 500.

Then...add one more race at the end and make it double points. Have it be up for bid at a neutral site, and pretty much allow any city in North America to bid on it so long as they have the ability to hold a race there (Cleveland for example would be eligible because of Burke Lakefront Airport) Daytona, Talladega, Darlington and Charlotte are not eligible to hold this race.

This is where you can have your "Super Bowl", and gimmick the hell out of it if you want. You want to be like "Stick and Ball"? That's how you do it. Not with some bullshit playoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

SCOOP IT!

he knows...
I don't think NASCAR needs double points races, but if they did I wouldn't want two plate races to be that way.. replace Talladega with Indy.

• Locked thread