Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

kingcom posted:

I remember when goons gave advice that was simple and easy to implement to balance stuff in the game and it was ignored in favour of insane paul ramblings.

Also apparently that is really misS in which case I probably apologise for my many poo poo posts on mwoforums which probably caused you extra work but in the end I feel my shitposts were worth it cause we ended up with Kaetetôã.

While we're unraveling this tangled web of spaghetti, what is "misS"

Edit: gently caress, new page. Did everyone see this yet:

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Propagandist posted:

She was the lead singer of Sonic Youth, who was famous for being from the 80s AND 90s.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Propagandist posted:

Edit: gently caress, new page. Did everyone see this yet:

Before your time, son. :clint:

miSs is as OG as you get.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Propagandist posted:

Rock star. He was in Led Zeppelin. hosed goats and wrote the old national anthem. Blew up Auckland in the Blitz

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Propagandist posted:

If you have to ask you'll never know

Xanax Madaway
Sep 9, 2014

I guess focused is good

kingcom posted:

She was the lead singer of Sonic Youth, who was famous for being from the 80s AND 90s.

That's cool because I happen to like Sonic Youth very much.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

wid posted:

Another thing they don't get is developer interaction is hoghly important in projects like these. SC backers got fed info and development process by the devs so they feel like they're part of the whole project. PGI will inevitably alienate their customers and make them feel ripped off except for the dozens or so secret squirrels who are now backing trannyverse. PGI has yet to learn that it's not good policy to play favorites with crowd funded ventures. And yes, MWO is practically crowd funded at this point.

There was a line that Russ said on the mass bannings, that I'm going to have to paraphrase here no I'm going to write it down word for word, in the Town Hall that I think needs to have a light shown on.

On the recent mass bannings:

Russ the Bus posted:

"I think our community management could have been better at the beginning of the project. If I wanna throw ourselves under the bus a little bit. I think, we didn't, when those aspects under IGP control I think we could have been a lot more better at setting boundaries that we all want to live by at the very beginning at the project. Um, but we didn't do that as well, in hindsight, as we wanted too. So I think it-it created too much of an opening for, too much running room in the beginning and then it became too hard to dial back that running room and say that Uh-Oh, no we don't want this. And I think that and that we that to this day, there's a lot of internet culture out there as you know and this is hot topic in the game industry right now, that there's too much umm negativity and troll mentality out there gaming gaming more gaming, I think it's out of hand.... I think we need to set a boundary with our customers that is respectful and that hopefully they will feel listened too and the communication that is happening now...(four pillars poo poo)... I'd like to hit the reset button with those customers"

Y'all remember how bad those first wave of moderators were? And how goons basically had to browbeat PGI into actually forcing them to choose not lovely people? And all the threads of suggestions of things that should be looked at and/or fixed and how they were all either outright ignored or burned to the ground by Paul and then told our input wasn't valued? Because I do.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Propagandist posted:

I'm just dumbfounded that they're confident enough in their crowdsourced funding that they're making critical game components into stretch goals.

This is :pgi: critical game components have always been feature creep.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Welp it's now after midnight in the continental United States so the first day of Transverse funding has officially concluded.

29 backers. Holy poo poo this schadenfreude is delicious.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Neo Helbeast posted:

There was a line that Russ said on the mass bannings, that I'm going to have to paraphrase here no I'm going to write it down word for word, in the Town Hall that I think needs to have a light shown on.

On the recent mass bannings:

Y'all remember how bad those first wave of moderators were? And how goons basically had to browbeat PGI into actually forcing them to choose not lovely people? And all the threads of suggestions of things that should be looked at and/or fixed and how they were all either outright ignored or burned to the ground by Paul and then told our input wasn't valued? Because I do.

You mean mods like Metro, who could barely write in English and was crazy? Or RAM who had to be removed as a mod after he was caught on FRAPS suicide farming? Those were quality moderators.

(Also hi misS! You and Destined were the only tolerable parts of the mwo forums)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Midnight on the east coast, and the final count for day one is 29 backers for $3,070 total. I don't have a great feeling about this working out for them.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Chronojam posted:

Midnight on the east coast, and the final count for day one is 29 backers for $3,070 total. I don't have a great feeling about this working out for them.

And that's without any sort of organised hate campaign. There's not been any sort of coordination of threadshitting and bad posting, it's all just flowed naturally.

Honestly, I think we all knew this was going to go badly (PGI included) but I've barely seen anyone aside from PC gamer being positive about this project. Even the most staunchly pro PGI people from the forums and from Outreach are struggling to find anything more to say than "UE4 is a better choice than Cryengine".

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Meanwhile, Star Citizen only raised ~$34,000; and another about $1,000 this past hour. I'm not sure the market's there until they have a more compelling gameplay story to tell.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Fil5000 posted:

"UE4 is a better choice than Cryengine".

Have you seen this yet?

:suicide:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

You mean mods like Metro, who could barely write in English and was crazy? Or RAM who had to be removed as a mod after he was caught on FRAPS suicide farming? Those were quality moderators.

Well he did teach everyone the importance of good communication. I think we can all learn a little something from that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
:stare:

Is MW4 mercs still available legally, or was mektek's demise the end of that too? I'd like to play some robots but I can't bring myself to log into MWO anymore.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It seems MW4 is abandonware. As such, it's legally available anywhere you can pick it up. Check abandonia, if it's not there, google further.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

drgnvale posted:

:stare:

Is MW4 mercs still available legally, or was mektek's demise the end of that too? I'd like to play some robots but I can't bring myself to log into MWO anymore.

Reddit Provides

Xanax Madaway
Sep 9, 2014

I guess focused is good

Fil5000 posted:

(Also hi misS! You and Destined were the only tolerable parts of the mwo forums)

Thank you! I really enjoyed my job (unfortunately I/we had to leave) and thanks for all the lulz.

But I'd like to point out that Karl Berg and "Mike who likes to post in K-Town" are also pretty great!

Xanax Madaway fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 10, 2014

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Xanax Madaway posted:

Thank you! I really enjoyed my job (unfortunately I/we had to leave) and thanks for all the lulz.

But I'd like to point out that Karl Berg and "Mike who likes to post in K-Town" are also pretty great!

Ok, yeah, that's fair. Actually most of the times developers posted (except that one guy) were pretty good.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Truga posted:

Have you seen this yet?

:suicide:

I want to beat this guy with copies of Elite and Frontier

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Xanax Madaway posted:

You're in a better place, now.

If the trauma's not too great, I hope you'll be willing to share some funny stories with us once the NDAs are up. I hope you haven't had any trouble securing new (and better) employment?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

If the trauma's not too great, I hope you'll be willing to share some funny stories with us once the NDAs are up. I hope you haven't had any trouble securing new (and better) employment?

We actually already made her mod of your game thread so.....

First change was to have the entire clan invasion being wave after wave of gargoyle primes.

Xanax Madaway
Sep 9, 2014

I guess focused is good

PoptartsNinja posted:

Until recently I have been mostly either gardening-away-from-the-Internet or travelling.

I'm still floating and already planning 2 more trips for this fall (thanks gold mechs - I'M KIDDING).

In the mean time, I'm planning on either starting my own thing. Also suscribed for an interesting certificate at the University and have been offered to write for a french tech website mostly about Internet culture, this will be interesting.

Trauma? Yes a little bit, I still need to rest for some time.

NDA or not, I've decided to remain professional as much as possible and some things I prefer to keep to myself in order to stay classy and as I do have a lot of respect for some folks still working on MWO but I do plan to share my experience from my personal perspective eventually. No ETA.

Tl;dr Things are loving great and promising! Also I'm now free to be a goon, officially.

kingcom posted:

We actually already made her mod of your game thread so.....
Wat?

Xanax Madaway fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 10, 2014

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I don't have internet for one day and this happens. I can't believe I missed the "launch" of this new exciting venture.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/09/transverse-could-have-been-wing-commander-online-gamer-backlash-begins

The rabbit hole keeps getting deeper and deeper :allears:

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008
Someone start a Tranverse thread, please.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

quote:

Kraxous... these aren't new goons. MWO's goons are particularly tenacious, and have migrated over here in an attempt to make PGI crash and burn.
They're operating under the delusion that somehow, someone else will take up the Battletech IP if PGI goes under. Nevermind the fact that it was barren for 10 years before MWO because it's a legal minefield... now it has a community that's earned a reputation for actively trying to tank a company when they're not happy. So not only does it gently caress over PGI, it fucks over everyone who's trying to enjoy the very solid offering that PGI has already put out for MWO without being swarmed by goons, AND it fucks over Battletech fans.
Seriously, these goons are out of control.

In 6 months time: 'This only failed because of goons and their hate campaign!'

Xanax Madaway posted:

Also I'm now free to be a goon, officially.

I'd love to see how that would have gone down given the amount of 'grr goons' over there.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Xanax Madaway posted:

Until recently I have been mostly either gardening-away-from-the-Internet or travelling (Nevada, Ibiza, Barcelona and sailing on the mediteranean sea ).

I'm still floating and already planning 2 more trips for this fall (thanks gold mechs - I'M KIDDING).

In the mean time, I'm planning on either starting my own thing or find another gig in the gaming industry. It's most likely to be option #1 tho even though I plan on offering services related to gaming and social medias.

Will be happy to give more details soon™ ETA: end of 2014 (This is my position at the time).

Also suscribed for an interesting certificate at the University and have been offered to write for a french tech website mostly about Internet culture, this will be interesting.

Trauma? Yes a little bit, I still need to rest for some time.

NDA or not, I've decided to remain professional as much as possible and some things I prefer to keep to myself in order to stay classy and as I do have a lot of respect for some folks still working on MWO but I do plan to share my experience from my personal perspective eventually. No ETA.

Tl;dr Things are loving great and promising! Also I'm now free to be a goon, officially.

Wat?

Thanks for being cool when I wanted mod approval for posting my dumb serious business videos.

RiperSnifel
Jul 13, 2007

Pull the handle, let it go, now you know you're ready to roll.
Had some good drops earlier with Rufus and Eatpants, completely rolled groups of clanners six games in a row using uncompromising tactics for glorious goon victory.

Got some good rage going from a couple of anti-goon players before we even squawked. Then we proceeded to murder the everloving poo poo out of them.

This thread is getting kind of silly. Nobody should be even remotely surprised by PGI being inept / scamming people out of money.

PGI is and has always been a bunch of loving clowns. Anyone making a game on a pay to win structure is a loving clown as far as I'm concerned. If you play games that subsist on micro-transactions and take them seriously at all, you're very well a loving clown too. It's our responsibility to go to war with the player base the best way that we can - playing the game and doing so on our terms.

Too much stagnation in play styles I say! Earlier we had a triumphant return to what I fondly recall as real goon style game changing with the use of our humble three man team dropping all in DDCs and acting as shocktroops, disrupting enemy blobs - perhaps dying quickly - but doling out enough hurt to make our stupid pubby team have enough of a foothold to win.

I want to see more of that. I want to see our 10 man drops consist of front armored alpha damage heavy bullshit robots. I want to see more pushing. GOD HATES A COWARD. There is no pride in survival. Your KDR matters not.

We need to focus on what's important in this thread: being a bunch of loving jerks in MWO.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

:allears:

The siren call of robots is such that even as the ship sinks while engulfed in flames, those without willpower to resist try to keep it afloat. Shine on friend, continue trying to wring fun out of a terrible game instead of joining chillbros in a good game.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have to admit, my new favorite talking point is rapidly becoming the fact that they are clearly not going to make their goals or refund the money. Which means you're literally just giving them money for no reason if you buy a pack.

Screw all the MW:O history. A brief mention is good enough. People not familiar with this need to realize that this is even worse than selling founder's packs for Tactics after development stopped. There will never be anything of this game outside of that video. It'd be an insane miracle if they hit 500,000 let alone millions.

Sure people call MW:O a scam but this really is turning into a scam, no matter their intentions.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Has this been brought up yet? Niko in the 'oh no, what if goons come!?' thread.

Niko posted:

Hey guys,

On the whole, the SomethingAwful Goons just really aren't as bad as people tend to think, though many certainly entertain the idea of gamers holding them in infamy. Most are great gamers, which is why we generally avoid making decisions to moderate players based on their affiliation to that or any other group. We recognize that some Goons do tend to run amock just as any other player though. When they do, you can rest assured that they will be handled according to our Rules.

Guys, we need to step it up, this is unacceptable.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

RiperSnifel posted:

Had some good drops earlier with Rufus and Eatpants, completely rolled groups of clanners six games in a row using uncompromising tactics for glorious goon victory.

Got some good rage going from a couple of anti-goon players before we even squawked. Then we proceeded to murder the everloving poo poo out of them.

This thread is getting kind of silly. Nobody should be even remotely surprised by PGI being inept / scamming people out of money.

PGI is and has always been a bunch of loving clowns. Anyone making a game on a pay to win structure is a loving clown as far as I'm concerned. If you play games that subsist on micro-transactions and take them seriously at all, you're very well a loving clown too. It's our responsibility to go to war with the player base the best way that we can - playing the game and doing so on our terms.

Too much stagnation in play styles I say! Earlier we had a triumphant return to what I fondly recall as real goon style game changing with the use of our humble three man team dropping all in DDCs and acting as shocktroops, disrupting enemy blobs - perhaps dying quickly - but doling out enough hurt to make our stupid pubby team have enough of a foothold to win.

I want to see more of that. I want to see our 10 man drops consist of front armored alpha damage heavy bullshit robots. I want to see more pushing. GOD HATES A COWARD. There is no pride in survival. Your KDR matters not.

We need to focus on what's important in this thread: being a bunch of loving jerks in MWO.

Being a bunch of jerks in the game will net more sales as the fanboys desperate for a win will shell out cash to get clan mechs so they could compete with goons. So good job, you're being a good little content provider for the whales and making money for PGI so they could develop their new scam. You do realize the only time MWO considered a failure is when enough people stopped playing that the die-hards can barely find a match? They literally have zero content other than the players themselves. Even Counterfuckingstrike and TF2 can be played without other players if you just want to shoot some mans.

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012

wid posted:

Being a bunch of jerks in the game will net more sales as the fanboys desperate for a win will shell out cash to get clan mechs so they could compete with goons. So good job, you're being a good little content provider for the whales and making money for PGI so they could develop their new scam. You do realize the only time MWO considered a failure is when enough people stopped playing that the die-hards can barely find a match? They literally have zero content other than the players themselves. Even Counterfuckingstrike and TF2 can be played without other players if you just want to shoot some mans.

Functional AI is lostech.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Captain Keene posted:

Functional AI is lostech.

Fixed that for you.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

axelsoar posted:

Has this been brought up yet? Niko in the 'oh no, what if goons come!?' thread.

Guys, we need to step it up, this is unacceptable.

No, we don't need to step anything up. This thing is burning down by itself.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

This is what happens to false Prophets that take the good works of Christ Roberts in vain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
36 Backers so far? Star Eve Citizen: Dangerous is doing rather well today.

Secretly I hoped for a space combat variation of batteltech, that hasn't been done in ages and would offer the option for cross-game community warfare with fleets supporting the ground forces indirectly. Well, that would probably be a bit too epic for the epic video game universe people at pgi. :smith:

• Locked thread