Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Bill was creepy yes. But him possessing Dipper and torturing Dipper's body in various way was loving hilarious. So funny.

This.

Ha ha! Pain is hilarious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

Human soda! I'm gonna drink it like a person!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Dr Christmas posted:

THAT is a avatar subtitle once we get a good pic for it.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
This season is on fire. As mentioned, the Ave Maria scene had me absolutely losing my poo poo. When S2 episodes focus on comedy (pieces of Scary-oke and Into the Bunker, all of Golf War, maybe half of this episode), it is just nonstop amazing gags. Oh, Alex. :allears:

I think Dipper's sock puppet being adorably mad is also prime avatar material.

edit: Cleaned up the OP a little bit and got everything as up-to-date as possible.

pksage fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 10, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh god, the new thread title is awesome.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I busted out during the play when puppet Gabe had to go off to war. Did anyone else get a Rushmore vibe from that?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

BigRed0427 posted:

THAT is a avatar subtitle once we get a good pic for it.

I know! Problem is I kind of want pair it with the angry shaking puppet Dipper, but it might go better with Bipper slapping himself or tumbling down the stairs.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Moddington posted:

Don't know if you copy-pasted this from the same source as the translated code, but the wiki article actually says that a Shepard Tone is one that appears to ascend/descend infinitely, like an audio version of the Penrose Stairs.

Whoops! I did, actually, and I really should have given the Wikipedia article a better read. Thanks for the catch.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
This show is way too good for the garbage network it airs on and the absolutely horrendous, erratic and non-professional schedule that it forces the show to abide by. I am absolutely baffled by the decisions made by this network regarding when new episodes air of this show. It makes absolutely no sense. They air like three episodes in a week and then take a month off? And then schedule the remaining episodes on different days on a completely random and inconsistent schedule? I like this show a whole lot and have enjoyed introducing it to my niece whenever I've had to babysit her, but I am baffled by the fact that the Disney XD network makes it so that trying to keep up with and follow this show is a huge chore that takes a bunch of dedicated researching.

It takes me legitimate research and effort to keep up with this show and its completely erratic and nonsensical airing of new episodes. How on eath do they expect children to keep up with it by themselves?

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 10, 2014

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
The modern kid just looks at what is on the DVR.

Straight up got some Twin Peaks vibe out of Bill taking over Dipper's body. I was waiting for him to just smash his face into a mirror.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Oh god I forgot about angry puppet Dipper. The animators could not have gotten the angry Kermit face any more perfect. Hysterical.

edit:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 10, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Man, my DVR cut off the very end, so I missed the Waldorf/Statler joke. I saw just enough to know that's what it was going to be. :(

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Holy poo poo the Ave Maria gag was hilarious. That whole episode got dark really quick. The unraveling screaming head... yikes.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I think this was my favorite episode of the season so far. Bill is getting even more insane and scarier and I'm loving it.

That perpetually screaming severed head and Bill's imitation of Dipper in three seconds to the future was some creepy poo poo for a "kids show". :stonklol:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Am I the only person who felt slightly uncomfortable with Gabe's voice? I mean, boys are voiced by adult men in Gravity Falls, but Gabe's voice was straight up that of a grown up male, not like Dipper's more high-pitched and childlike voice.

E: hm, he's voiced by Jorma Taccone, a member of The Lonely Island, who doesn't seem to have much experience in voice acting.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 10, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
He reminded me of the stuck up English dude future Lisa almost marries in Simpsons. Then again I haven't seen that episode in like a decade

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jack Skeleton posted:

The modern kid just looks at what is on the DVR.

Straight up got some Twin Peaks vibe out of Bill taking over Dipper's body. I was waiting for him to just smash his face into a mirror.

What, like this?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

CelticPredator posted:

What, like this?

I just realized...The grimdark fanfics that are going to come of this episode :gonk:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
http://gravi-teamfalls.tumblr.com/post/97120057023/two-weird-old-men-and-their-puppets-me-matt

Goddamn those are some nice puppets.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

proof of concept posted:

If Bill crushed it before the countdown hit 0 then the drive wouldn't have been wiped.
If the countdown ever existed in the first place.

Bill only shows up to someone when they're asleep. Dipper was barely staying awake while he plugged away at password guessing. Then he closed his eyes for a moment (a bit longer than just a blink) and suddenly the countdown to data erasure began. That got Dipper's full attention (so he was no longer about to doze off) and THEN Bill appeared. So if Bill appeared, Dipper was already asleep at that point, and it seems likely that the countdown was just an illusion conjured to push Dipper into accepting the deal.

Of course, THEN the laptop got smashed... but Soos can fix anything, including that laptop, which he had already just fixed.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
After watching Fixin' it with Soos, I'm going to assume that the laptop didn't actually have those security features before. Soos just added them on because who doesn't put a password on their laptop? He didn't just fix it, he improved it.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Slime posted:

After watching Fixin' it with Soos, I'm going to assume that the laptop didn't actually have those security features before. Soos just added them on because who doesn't put a password on their laptop? He didn't just fix it, he improved it.

Fix it! Do it! Accidentally unscrew it!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

What, like this?

drat fine fanart

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I know this seems like a reaching theory, but maybe the reason why the Author is considered insane by the Shapeshifter back in Enter The Bunker is because he made some kind of deal with Bill and Bill hijacked his body similar to Dipper, which left the mind scrambled.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Where was Bearo in all those puppets?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Here, have a head that's always screaming:

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Where was Bearo in all those puppets?

You had your chance at the Cotillion write-in-campaign, you!

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

CuddleChunks posted:

Hahah I loved this episode. Loads of great scenes and plenty of Bill being scary.

That poster is something right out of Night Vale. I would kill for a large print of it.

Did anyone else think maybe they would have relieved that Gabe's hands weren't going to be puppets, maybe they were the creatures controlling a "Gabe" puppet?

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
Is it just me or is it odd the way Bill delivered the whole "who would sacrifice everything they worked for just for their dumb sibling?" line? He was expecting Mabel to screw Dipper over like it was a foregone conclusion. I kind of like the "Stan is searching for his long lost brother" theory because there's a lot of clues in the show that support it. Was this line Bill referencing something that happened between Stan and a possible twin brother? Bill and Stan obviously have SOME kind of history as blatantly hinted at in Dreamscaperers, and if it involves some kind of quarrel between Stan and a possible sibling, it would make sense that Bill would just say something like that offhand.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I don't think a complicated theory is necessary for Bill's line to make sense. He's a supremely self-interested jerk who betrays confidences at the drop of a hat. I think he genuinely has no understanding of love. How could appealing to someone's selfishness not work? To Bill, that's all there is to people.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010

BooDoug187 posted:

Did anyone else think maybe they would have relieved that Gabe's hands weren't going to be puppets, maybe they were the creatures controlling a "Gabe" puppet?
I thought they would be alive but they never really talk about it. Maybe we'll see him again.
Also I had high hopes for a Strong Bad voiced ventriloquist dummy episode, I guess this one will have to do.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's weird that Bill didn't even make a token gesture of fulfilling his half of the bargain with Dipper. Usually when demons make monkey's paw deals, the guy getting the short end of the stick still gets the thing he wanted (even if it turns to ashes in his mouth).

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Wittgen posted:

I think he genuinely has no understanding of love.

Does that mean he's susceptible... to the power of... love?

Jamwillinob
Jun 26, 2009
My roommate just pointed out that we never saw how many fingers Gabe has :catstare:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be honest, when I saw Gabe, I thought he was one of the Several Timez Boyz, who had learned the magic of literacy and wanted to share it with children.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Man does it warm my heart to see Matt Chapman doing great work like this. I've said it before but Gravity Falls is really the perfect place for him.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Jamwillinob posted:

My roommate just pointed out that we never saw how many fingers Gabe has :catstare:

Gabe doesn't have hands... he just has creatures that look like puppets... or Gabe is the puppet and the puppets are something more... evil! Well, not evil, just really like making out with each other and with Gabe.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Jamwillinob posted:

Doesn't he play piano with a free hand at the start of the episode?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cloks posted:

Doesn't he play piano with a free hand at the start of the episode?

Yeah. He's got four fingers.

...on the one hand that WE SEE :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Wittgen posted:

I don't think a complicated theory is necessary for Bill's line to make sense. He's a supremely self-interested jerk who betrays confidences at the drop of a hat. I think he genuinely has no understanding of love. How could appealing to someone's selfishness not work? To Bill, that's all there is to people.

Yeah, it's another sign of his inhumanity/other-worldliness. I remember reading a thing about the Lovecraftian MiGo, and their alien logic making them incapable of intuitive leaps, and thus not understanding it. Bill is the same, in that he runs on selfishness, and tunnel vision perception (like his single eye) - meaning that he's good at understanding Gideon, but not at understanding the Pines family.

They've done a great job of making him equally comic and creepy.

• Locked thread