Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

GargleBlaster posted:

New server-side email signatures are a go, GPO to disable Outlook's signatures deployed.

How long before all the special snowflakes start crying that they NEED their customised pink 'Sue' that they added to the corporate signature using script.ttf?

(Despite warning them that they won't now because it's added server-side, I'm still also expecting lots of ":supaburn: halp I can't see my signature when I'm composing my message, how will I cope!")

Don't worry they will re-create their signature as they want it in a Word document and then copy/paste that to the bottom of each email they send out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

if you know of an issue and have a plan in mind, go ahead and share that plan instead of asking 8000 questions trying to catch people slipping up. Come out and say [policy] changed and we need to change [thing] since we are out of compliance. Ive spent more hours discussing this poo poo with you than it takes to change. You dumb motherfucker.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I am not in IT, but lol:

Company HR Director posted:

Subject: Information needed for upcoming upgrade
To: (entire company)

I need your :
Computer name
Password word to login on network
Password to login on Mass

e: I mean, would someone with administrator access to the network need user passwords for any legitimate reason whatsoever?

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 9, 2014

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

the spyder posted:

Send me a email

Mailed

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

at the date posted:

I am not in IT, but lol:

e: I mean, would someone with administrator access to the network need user passwords for any legitimate reason whatsoever?

Nope! I never need you to tell me your password ever, for any system. If I really need to impersonate you, and the system in question doesn't allow that, I can reset it. Sounds like someone wants to go snooping and IT said no chance in hell.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Are there telltale signs that you're going to get laid off/fired? I think what I've believed to be sudden culture changes are actually indications of much more significant, non-trivial changes. My boss has been quiet lately, our monthly one-on-ones have silently disappeared, the CTO's overbearing micromanagement might actually be his way of determining who to cut/not to cut, and just today there were a spat of emails sent by other managers to our CTO praising me and my work - which feels like they're trying to spare me from the chopping block. Overall it feels weird, but so far it's just a gut feeling. Maybe I'm reading too much into things, so I'm going to have a chat with my boss tomorrow. I'm also going to rewrite my resume and start hunting again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chalets the Baka posted:

Are there telltale signs that you're going to get laid off/fired? I think what I've believed to be sudden culture changes are actually indications of much more significant, non-trivial changes. My boss has been quiet lately, our monthly one-on-ones have silently disappeared, the CTO's overbearing micromanagement might actually be his way of determining who to cut/not to cut, and just today there were a spat of emails sent by other managers to our CTO praising me and my work - which feels like they're trying to spare me from the chopping block. Overall it feels weird, but so far it's just a gut feeling. Maybe I'm reading too much into things, so I'm going to have a chat with my boss tomorrow. I'm also going to rewrite my resume and start hunting again.

If you're on good terms with your boss, have that chat offsite and possibly after hours. Because these are all bad signs. Except for the emails from all those other managers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

AlternateAccount posted:

How do these three words make sense in this order?

Hahaha you got me.

Really my company is trying to host some new software on "the cloud" but cheaped out, before it was changed we had plans that we would be hosting our own cloud solution and we had an detailed infrastructure plan. The boss didn't like the cost so another office came up with their "solution". They bought a single server hosted by a cheap company that promised 100% uptime and then we shoved a bunch of vms on it. None of us got told, so to us it was the "cloud" still. When the server went down at 10pm we didn't find out about it until the next day. Apparently there was a plan for if it failed but that got scrapped to because "cost".

Does that make more sense?

E: I laugh because it hurts less than crying.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 9, 2014

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

at the date posted:

I am not in IT, but lol:

The people at my place did this too. It's a big red flag saying "We don't know poo poo about poo poo".

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Zamujasa posted:

The people at my place did this too. It's a big red flag saying "We don't know poo poo about poo poo".

There's a .xlsx floating about on some person's machine with a table of users and passwords for Skype and e-mails.

I can't change the Skype password but considering how I'm one of like, four out of a company of about 30 to have root access to all servers I can guarantee that the e-mail password doesn't match up to the one on the .xlsx.

But hey, the passwords for e-mail are stored on the server in plaintext anyway... :wtc:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Bob Morales posted:

We have an independent auditor in here this week doing some work. She's in our office because we have an empty desk.

SHE'S STREAMING loving OPERA MUSIC AND USING HER LAPTOPS SPEAKERS

If you can, PM me the company that does your external audits. If it's my company, I'll politely ask her to stop being a jerk.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

mllaneza posted:

If you're on good terms with your boss, have that chat offsite and possibly after hours.

Would the conversation somehow be different this way?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

"Oh hey the OptiPlex 3020 Micro and 9020 Micro's have launched, this will be the NUC-with-support that I've been wanting for a while."

No SSD option on the 3020, 128GB maximum on the 9020 :smith:

Lenovo has models in that same form factor and has for longer than Dell.. The Lenovo Tiny series; M73 (low end) and M93p (high end). Both series have models available with SSDs. The factory SSDs are Samsung OEM units. Standard warranty is 3 years on-site next business day. This PDF: http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/tcbook.pdf has a full listing of all the configurations/models available.

I have about 40 M73s out there, most with SSDs. Adding more all the time as we replace the old XP machines. I absolutely love them and so do the users. Haven't had a single problem with any of them.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Chalets the Baka posted:

Would the conversation somehow be different this way?

Offsite, people can be more candid and less worried about others interrupting/listening in.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

at the date posted:

I am not in IT, but lol:

To follow up, I sent an email briefly explaining why I wouldn't give my password and why no one else should either to the HR director and my boss and got in return a written warning from my boss about "dangerous" (his word) comments to top management leading "to a negative opinion being formed of you by people who dont completely understand the point u are trying to make." gently caress.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

at the date posted:

To follow up, I sent an email briefly explaining why I wouldn't give my password and why no one else should either to the HR director and my boss and got in return a written warning from my boss about "dangerous" (his word) comments to top management leading "to a negative opinion being formed of you by people who dont completely understand the point u are trying to make." gently caress.

How much do you like this job?

Also, if you guys are required to abide by any kind of compliance, they could be putting themselves in a really bad place by asking for that.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anthonypants posted:

I think I just started That Job. The one you guys all talk about.
  • Everyone's password is in an Excel spreadsheet. It's not even password-protected. This policy is enforced by the IT Director, who says it is easier to help users with their passwords.
  • CIO is the IT Director's son.
  • IT Director is also somehow the ShoreTel vendor?
  • IT Director was out traveling today, so I spent the majority of my first day hearing about how the IT Director is a nice guy, but extremely bad at his job. Very bad at puns.
  • No volume licenses. Win 7 Professional, not Enterprise. Microsoft began an audit back in January and didn't like what they found.
  • Didn't grab pictures of the server room or the storage closets yet, but it's pretty bad. One storage closet has like 400 Wyse thin clients, a handful of Dell servers, and two dozen laptops just hanging out. The door is locked, but this room also has a window.
  • I didn't get keys to that room, but I did get domain admin.
  • Desktops are being replaced with thin clients, which seems to be working well, but everyone not on a thin client has local admin.
My coworkers seem excited to make changes, which is good, but I'm not sure I'm looking forward to meeting the boss tomorrow.
In regard to that Microsoft audit, they gave me a task this week to take pictures of everyone's Microsoft license tags and the serial numbers on the computer. They've told me to make sure it's done by Thursday, but this is also supposed to be a helpdesk position, I can't loving get away from the phones because everyone else is loving off somewhere else. An excellent example of this is that today, a barber is in one of the break rooms, and he's offering $5 haircuts. What even is this place.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

at the date posted:

Well in fairness it is pretty dangerous depending on how you worded it. You are telling people who are requesting something from you basically "No I won't give this to you and this is why you shouldn't be asking for it." and that is really hard to say without coming off badly. You probably should have forwarded your concerns to your boss first and let the issue resolve itself up from there. If your boss requested you comply, you could have asked for both passwords to be reset and go from there.

poo poo gets a little touchy when worker bee's tell decision makers no. So its best to do it in the most reasonable way possible.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

anthonypants posted:

An excellent example of this is that today, a barber is in one of the break rooms, and he's offering $5 haircuts. What even is this place.

This is hilarious and brilliant

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

anthonypants posted:

In regard to that Microsoft audit, they gave me a task this week to take pictures of everyone's Microsoft license tags and the serial numbers on the computer. They've told me to make sure it's done by Thursday, but this is also supposed to be a helpdesk position, I can't loving get away from the phones because everyone else is loving off somewhere else. An excellent example of this is that today, a barber is in one of the break rooms, and he's offering $5 haircuts. What even is this place.

Does your management even know that he's there? Are there vendors coming in off the street? :ohdear:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

Does your management even know that he's there? Are there vendors coming in off the street? :ohdear:
There was an overhead page announcing his arrival. Except it wasn't overhead; I guess the way pages work here is that all the phones speakers go off.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So I did a little planning to try and roll as many trips into one as I can, and I've got it worked out where I'll do about 1600 miles of driving, which will be about 24-25 hours of driving. In one week.

On one hand, this will be a ton of OT, I'll be out of the office and away from the goddamn lunatic that is my boss and I do have some audiobooks I've been meaning to listen to.

On the other hand, at one point in this trip, I will spend 6+ hours driving to do roughly 15 minutes of work.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

CitizenKain posted:

So I did a little planning to try and roll as many trips into one as I can, and I've got it worked out where I'll do about 1600 miles of driving, which will be about 24-25 hours of driving. In one week.

On one hand, this will be a ton of OT, I'll be out of the office and away from the goddamn lunatic that is my boss and I do have some audiobooks I've been meaning to listen to.

On the other hand, at one point in this trip, I will spend 6+ hours driving to do roughly 15 minutes of work.

For me that'd be six hours of pleasure with 15 minutes of effort.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
sometimes I don't know whether I should drink or just laugh at work.

One of the "senior" windows admins at work today was talking about privileges, in that Deny takes precedence over Allows which he classifies as a bug and hopes is fixed in windows soon...
Pretty sure the reasoning behind this is even covered in one of the many certs he's done but whatever.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Things pissing me off: I've finally caught a nasty cold from one of my coworkers (who always insist on coming into the office when they're sick instead of working from home), so I feel like crap and I'm really tired, but I won't get a day off to rest until probably mid-October (have to spend all this weekend entertaining family who's in town and then I'll be working for like 10 hours Saturday night through Sunday morning for the next couple weekends and then about 30 hours the weekend after that). Ugh. :sigh:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Pissing me off: No espresso coffee. We've got normal coffee but that doesn't work well in the espresso machine. I'm staring down the barrel of a day without caffeine send ha;lp

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

luminalflux posted:

Pissing me off: No espresso coffee. We've got normal coffee but that doesn't work well in the espresso machine. I'm staring down the barrel of a day without caffeine send ha;lp

We have coffee makers but no coffee. Or paper cups, plates, or utensils. There was literally a building wide email saying these things would no longer be provided due to hard economic times. This was immediately followed by an email proudly proclaiming record revenue and new government contacts awarded.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

How's your resume coming?

Not providing coffee would probably cause a wild strike that the unions would gladly get behind. Nobody fucks with coffee in :sweden:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Blue Footed Booby posted:

We have coffee makers but no coffee. Or paper cups, plates, or utensils. There was literally a building wide email saying these things would no longer be provided due to hard economic times. This was immediately followed by an email proudly proclaiming record revenue and new government contacts awarded.

A colleague once told me that he judges how companies treat their people by two things: free coffee, and decent toilet paper. I've found these to be pretty accurate indicators.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Edit: Double-post because I'm bad at phones.

Ynglaur fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 11, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Ynglaur posted:

A colleague once told me that he judges how companies treat their people by two things: free coffee, and decent toilet paper. I've found these to be pretty accurate indicators.

I heard an anecdote from a lady who would always visit the bathroom of companies she was considering to do business with.

If they had removed the tampons, she'd assume that they were in the financial poo poo.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

spog posted:

I heard an anecdote from a lady who would always visit the bathroom of companies she was considering to do business with.

If they had removed the tampons, she'd assume that they were in the financial poo poo.

Both of these are spectacular.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Speaking of signatures this gem just came in.

As an "IT Manager" it is necessary to put the logos for all your certs in your signature??

His signature is longer than the emails we are sending to each other and even his replies to my emails have his signature in them.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

mattfl posted:

Speaking of signatures this gem just came in.

As an "IT Manager" it is necessary to put the logos for all your certs in your signature??

His signature is longer than the emails we are sending to each other and even his replies to my emails have his signature in them.

Should at least have put them side-by-side.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

SEKCobra posted:

Should at least have put them side-by-side.

I don't really see any need to have them in a signature at all. Especially the A+ and MCP ones.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

spog posted:

I've never been to a place that offered free tampons in the first place.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

He's right about the toilet paper and coffee though. Every company I've ever worked for that scrimped on these was in financial trouble or managed by raging assholes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rackspace migrated all of our Exchange accounts from 2007 to 2013. They said it would be pretty simple and users would just have to restart Outlook after the accounts were moved.

Didn't happen that way. The autodiscover on 90% of the accounts didn't work, they couldn't figure out anything over the phone (their hosted exchange support reps are all dinks) so we had to add a new profile on over 60 machines. Yesterday sucked.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Crowley posted:

I've never been to a place that offered free tampons in the first place.

I bought them for the office once but nobody liked the brand or said what they wanted so I don't bother anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We are going through the process of changing everyones user rights from being local admins to standard users. The company is growing super fast and the guys on helpdesk dont have enough time to keep up with the backup, format, reimages for all of the pc's that are obviously getting viruses. I'm having to fight these mouth breathers at every god drat step! The culture here was just amazing. People used their company laptops as home devices and this was actually encouraged as a "perk" for the longest time. So we have different model Alien Wares and HP's and Lenovos all floating around with god knows what. Honestly I'm amazed that I was able to even convince management that this change needed to be made. I think getting hit by cryptolocker a while back changed some minds.