Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:siren:POI RETURNS FOR ITS FINAL SEASON MAY 3RD 2016:siren:
:siren:Newcomers read to the bottom of this post only!:siren:

"You are being watched. The government has a secret system —a machine— that spies on you every hour of every day. I designed the machine to detect acts of terror, but it sees everything. Violent crimes involving ordinary people. The government considers these people irrelevant. We don’t. Hunted by the authorities, we work in secret. You'll never find us. But victim or perpetrator, if your number’s up, we’ll find you."

Person of Interest is a sci-fi action series created by Jonathan Nolan (co-writer of The Dark Knight Trilogy, Interstellar, The Prestige and Memento). If you haven't been watching, it’s recommended that you go through the first three seasons as soon as possible with the understanding that it takes a while to find its footing. (Ep. 7 is where it starts to get good, Ep. 13’s a good go/no go point.) Despite its procedural nature, every episode is required viewing, even the rough ones at the top of the series. They each dish out necessary backstory and mythology.

Streaming Links:

NetflixAmazoniTunesXBox VideoPlaystation Network

If you’re catching up and have archives, here are the threads for the previous seasons!

Season 1 Thread (S1 Gag Reel) (Opening 1)
Season 2 Thread (S2 Gag Reel) (Opening 2) - (Virus Version)
Season 3 Thread (S3 Gag Reel) (Opening 3) - (Root Version)

Relevant Links:
POI Writers Room Twitter
POI Rewatch Tumblr
Kevin Chapman’s Twitter
Sarah Shahi’s Twitter
Amy Acker’s Twitter
Bear’s Twitter
POI Wiki
POI Song Playlist(courtesy of richardfun)

:siren:Person of Interest hits Netflix on September 1st, 2015. Newcomers click here!:siren:

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

SITUATIONAL ANALYSIS:
(Gifs courtesy of VDay, THANK YOU VDAY)

”The Machine and I couldn’t save the world. We had to settle for protecting the 7 people who might be able to take it back, so we gave Samaritan a blind spot: 7 key servers that hardcodes it to ignore 7 carefully crafted new identities.

When the whole world is watched, filed, indexed, numbered, the only way to disappear is to appear, hiding our true identities inside a seemingly ordinary life. You’re not a free man anymore, Harold; you’re just a number. We have to become these people now, and if we don’t, they’ll find us, and they’ll kill us. I’m sorry Harold; I know it’s not enough.

A lot of people are gonna die: people who might have been able to help. Everything is changing. I don’t know if it’ll ever get better, but it’s going to get worse.

But the Machine asked me to tell you something before we part. You once told John the whole point of Pandora’s Box is that once you’ve opened it, you can’t close it again. She wanted me to remind you how the story ends: When everything is over, when the worst has happened, there’s still one thing left in Pandora’s Box…

Hope.”

The Machine:

The Machine is an artificial intelligence created by Harold Finch in the wake of 9/11. Its purpose is to analyze government feeds and predict acts of violence, be they on a massive (relevant) or minor (irrelevant) scale.

Over the course of the series the Machine has grown in its capabilities, freeing itself from some of its more restrictive shackles and designating a trustworthy human as its physical eyes, ears and voice.

Throughout all this the Machines primary goal has never wavered: to protect what it oversees and save as many lives as possible, no matter what the cost. But a machine can only do so much.

Samaritan:

Created by Finch’s MIT colleague Arthur Claypool, Samaritan is the sword to the Machine’s shield: An open system that can divulge all the information it finds and be specially targeted at anyone its owner desires.

After failing to gain control of the Machine in season 2, Decima Technologies stole the drives containing Samaritan’s code and spent the latter half of season 3 completing the system. Throughout the process of preparing Samaritan they also managed to expose the Machine’s existence to America via a third party, prompting the Government shutting down the ISA’s Northern Lights Program. (Team Relevant)

With a privatized surveillance system, the government can shift the blame, so they have given Decima Technologies complete access to all their feeds.

Samaritan, however, is much more than a machine, and Decima is much more interested in what it wants than what the government does.

Team Irrelevant:
Designation: SECONDARY OPERATIONS
Classification: Vigilante Group

Harold Finch (Michael Emerson)
Designation: ADMIN

“It was only after I taught the Machine people mattered that it was able to start helping them. I’d like to do the same for you, if you’d let me.”

The elusive multi-billionaire who created the Machine operates as its primary agent in dealing with irrelevant threats. He specializes in creating covers, altering digital information, and payouts.

With the advent of Samaritan, Finch and his team have been forced to go into hiding using a blind spot implanted in Samaritan’s servers at the eleventh hour.

They’ll have to be careful, but the numbers keep coming, and there’s still work to be done.

Dislikes: Guns, Killing

John Reese (Jim Caviezel)
Designation: ASSET

“I’m not going to threaten to kill you; I’m going to kill you.”

Former Green Beret and CIA Wet work Operative with a hero complex, Reese is Finch’s right hand man. A veteran covert operative, Reese is usually the first one in on any mission that requires undercover infiltration.

Dislikes: Bow ties, Men who hurt women

Sameen Shaw (Sarah Shahi)

“You’re right, I did work for the government, and I do want revenge. But if that work taught me anything it’s that how you do matters as much as what you do. By that metric you’re all just terrorists, and I kill terrorists.”

After being burned by the government and saved by Reese and Finch in Season 2, this former Marine turned ISA Assassin brought her skills as a highly efficient operator to the team. Also acts as the team’s Medic, having gone through med school before being kicked out for her sociopathic tendencies.

Dislikes: Pretty much everything else, Root especially

Samantha Groves Root (Amy Acker)
Designation: ANALOG INTERFACE
Probability of Marriage/Procreation: 0.04%

“The Universe is infinite and chaotic and cold, and there has never been a plan. At least not ‘til now.”

After the Machine freed itself, it chose the fanatical hacker Root to be its voice and hands in the physical world. Spending most of the last seasons hunting down “necessary” assets for the Machine, Root’s nihilistic views of humanity are tested during the struggle to stop Samaritan from coming online, leading the team to work willingly with her for a change.

Dislikes: Everything else

Detective Lionel P. Fusco (Kevin Chapman)
Knowledge of the Machine: None

“What was I supposed to say? ‘Uh, sorry boss, Agent King is actually a super-powered nutball. Just ask my buddy the urban legend!’”

The team’s NYPD Liaison. Formerly a corrupt cop Reese forced into being his mole in the department, Fusco grew to appreciate what they were doing. Played a major role in the eventual take down of HR together with his former partner Joss Carter.

Dislikes: Drinking

Bear (Graubaer’s Boker)
Breed: Belgian Malinois
Best?: Yes

Zoe Morgan (Paige Turco)
Designation: IRRELEVANT

"Little gift from John"

An occasional ally to the team, Zoe Morgan understands the underbelly and inner workings of New York City like the back of her own hand. She has maintained a casual romance with Reese since mid S2.

The Boys
Designation: TERTIARY OPERATIONS
Classification: Hacker Team

Daizo (Alex Shimizu), Jason Greenfield (Michael Esper) and Daniel Casey (Joseph Mazello)

“You’re that government hit man who made me pull out my molars!”
“That’s messed up.”

A group of hackers Root saved over the course of season 3. Responsible for creating the blindspot in Samaritan’s servers that ignore them and Team Irrelevant.

Northern Lights (Team Relevant):
Designation: PRIMARY OPERATIONS
Classification: Government Cell

Control (Camryn Manheim)

“As a sworn officer of the US Government, I can neither confirm nor deny anything pertaining to this matter, and I will say the same drat thing to every single question until you put that gun to my head and pull the trigger.”

The woman in charge of the ISA's Northern Lights Program, which dealt with the relevant numbers the machine provided. Control was a survivor of the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon, sending her on a ruthless crusade to make sure nothing like it ever happened again.

When knowledge of the Machine went public, she was forced to shut Northern Lights down. Now that Samaritan is active and providing information to her, who knows what she’ll do next?

Ross Garrison (John Doman)

"You want me to give a private corporation access to the government feeds, to 300 million Americans; just so you can sell the information back to us?"

The public face of the Northern Lights Program, Garrison's job was to ensure legislation relating to surveillance went through quietly and without scrutiny. When the Program was exposed, the Senator had to resort to a third party for a solution that could afford plausible deniability to the Government and the ISA.

Decima Technologies:
Designation: CONFLICTING OPERATIONS
Classification: Private Information Contractor

John Greer (John Nolan)
Designation: THREAT

“In twenty years’ time, life on Earth will begin to resemble the myths of the ancient Greeks: A pantheon of super intelligent beings will watch over us, using human agents to meddle in our affairs.”

The Director of Operations for Decima Technologies. As a survivor of World War 2 and spy during the cold war, Greer has become disillusioned with the political systems of the world and yearns for a new rule under a just and logical being.

Was revealed to be the mastermind behind the anti-surveillance terrorist group known as Vigilance, used to expose the Machine, shut down Northern Lights, and get the government to allow Samaritan access to its feeds.

Now, with his long game ending in success, he simply waits for Samaritan’s commands.

Jeremy Lambert (Julian Ovenden)
Designation: THREAT

"Anything else I can do for you, sir?"

Greer's right hand man since long before the events of the show. He was one of the Decima agents responsible for the events of RAM, events which would later bring Team Irrelevant together as a whole.

Outliers:
Designation: The Evolution of Organized Crime
Classification: Criminal Empire

Carl Elias (Enrico Colantoni)
Alias: Charlie Burton

”Oh no! No my friend is going to kill you. I’m just gonna watch.”

Unwittingly saved by Reese back in season 1, the criminal mastermind Elias has slowly seen himself stripped of opposition over the years thanks to both his own actions and Team Irrelevant’s. With HR and the Russians out of the picture, Elias is poised to be the sole criminal enterprise in New York City. That is of course, unless a new enemy rears its head.

Scarface (David Valcin)

”Thank you… for saving my boss.”

Elias’ extremely loyal right hand man, Scarface is the one who tends to get his hands dirty so his boss doesn’t have to.

The Fallen:

Detective Joss Carter (Taraji P. Henson)
Span: 1x01 to 3x09
Last words:”Don’t let this… (change you.)”

NYPD Detective who served as Fusco’s partner and fellow Liaison to the team.

Died after orchestrating a takedown of the corrupt police organization, HR. Carter functioned as the moral compass for the team before her death, and with her out of the picture it’s now up to Fusco to make sure the team honors her memory by staying true to it.

Nathan Ingram (Brett Cullen)
Designation: AUX_ADMIN
Span: 1x02 to 2x22 (Flashbacks)
Last words:”It’s time for us to face the music.”

Finch’s partner in building the Machine and the creator of the backdoor through which the Machine gives the team irrelevant numbers. Nathan was the first person to use the irrelevant information to try and save innocent lives.

When Finch stopped him he attempted to leak the Machine’s existence to the press, leading to his assassination via a ferry bombing Northern Lights allowed to happen.

These events (which also left Finch crippled) led to Harold taking up the mantle and founding the team we know today.

Robert N. Hersh (Boris McGiver)
Span: 2x01 to 3x23
Last words:”I can get it! I can- ”

Control’s chief lackey and Shaw’s mentor, Hersh has been a thorn in the team’s side from before it even existed, being responsible for the ferry bombing that killed Nathan and crippled Finch. Nevertheless, he was a loyal soldier who always did what he did because he believed it was best for his country.

Died trying to prevent Decima's false flag attack. He couldn't get it. :smith:

THIS SEASON:
Cara Buono (Mad Men) will be joining the cast as a heavily recurring character described as a “femme fatale uniquely qualified to navigate the new world order created by Samaritan.”

Monique Curnen (Lie to Me) has been cast as Fusco’s new police captain. She will first appear in episode 4x03 and is described as“New York-born and whip-smart.”

Jamie Hector (The Wire) has also been cast in a recurring role.

Jason Ritter (Gravity Falls) has been cast in a guest role in episode 4x05.

Season 4 Comicon Promo

Upcoming Episodes:

4x01: Panopticon
4x02: Nautilus
4x03: Wingman
4x04: Brotherhood
4x05: Prophets
4x06: Pretenders
4x07: Honor Among Thieves
4x08: Point of Origin
4x09: The Devil You Know
4x10: The Cold War (Trilogy Part 1)
4x11: If-Then-Else (Trilogy Part 2)
4x12: Control Alt Delete (Trilogy Part 3)
4x13: M.I.A.
4x14: Guilty
4x15: Q & A
4x16: Blunt
4x17: Karma
4x18: Skip
4x19: Search and Destroy
4x20: Terra Incognita
4x21: Asylum
4x22: YHWH

Once again, Person of Interest returns on Tuesday September 23rd at 10pm EST!

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Aug 21, 2015

Garbo
May 30, 2011
Im not sure if im more ready for this season or for this seasons walken impression in the gag reel.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
:derp: :derp: :derp:
So psych for this.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Awesome Zaggitz, love the deviant to irrelevant gifs.

My S3 boxset also came in the mail today.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sober posted:

Awesome Zaggitz, love the deviant to irrelevant gifs.

Thanks! The idea was mine, but the execution is all on VDay, he is a gif making god.

Before anyone asks, no Leon or Zoe in the OP as of this moment, but if they get confirmed as appearing this season I might add in some blurbs.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
So goddamn excited for this.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Dang, the season 4 preview has been removed.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

psychopomp posted:

Dang, the season 4 preview has been removed.

Found a high quality rehost on dailymotion, you should be able to watch it no problem now.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 9, 2014

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
yessssss can't wait

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Great OP Zaggitz. I'm so ready for this to be back.

I admit I'd temporarily forgotten that Hersh bit it last season. I'll miss that guy.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Hersh is the goddamn Terminator. I'm half expecting him to return somehow.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I hope we at least get some flashbacks to when he was mentoring Shaw.

Also for those who didn't see in the tail end of the S3 thread, Nathan is set to return in some more flashbacks this season!

edit: I went ahead and added the Gag Reels to the OP.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 9, 2014

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Good work, Zaggitz. I thought root wasn't capitalized. I also thought that Fusco was not one of the people that Samaritan was given a blind spot tom, so he wouldn't have the Deviant -> Irrelevant?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I would genuinely be OK with Control pulling out a Hersh clone to replace him.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sub Rosa posted:

Good work, Zaggitz. I thought root wasn't capitalized. I also thought that Fusco was not one of the people that Samaritan was given a blind spot tom, so he wouldn't have the Deviant -> Irrelevant?

The Fusco thing was just because we needed an excuse to have both a funny and serious Fusco gif loop like the rest of the team, but yes he is not in the server blindspot. Bear wasn't blindspotted either :P.

As for Root, i'm putting my faith in the poi wiki people being right as they are much bigger spergs about that stuff than I can hope to be, and they capitalize it.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff
There's no reason whatsoever that ROOT shouldn't be CAPITALIZED. :colbert:

Also, Zaggitz, joining the crowd on the OP congratulations. :hfive: Now can you immortalize a video featuring any of the old opening credits that you've transcribed? Because knowing this show, we risk not seeing these credits ever again. At least certainly not in the first half of the next season, but I still suspect that they'll come up with a different opening altogether once Team Machine regains the field.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I can only imagine it as a reference to the most privileged user in a Unix/etc system, and it wouldn't ever be capitalized in that context as usernames are case sensitive.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Sorry, but the S3 Boxset doesn't have Root's name in full caps. Beaten again, NERDS :colbert:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Great OP.

I am very excited for this season.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Pilli posted:

There's no reason whatsoever that ROOT shouldn't be CAPITALIZED. :colbert:

Also, Zaggitz, joining the crowd on the OP congratulations. :hfive: Now can you immortalize a video featuring any of the old opening credits that you've transcribed? Because knowing this show, we risk not seeing these credits ever again. At least certainly not in the first half of the next season, but I still suspect that they'll come up with a different opening altogether once Team Machine regains the field.

Added the openings to the first post. The first ep or two probably won't have any opening at all, much like the s2 opening 2-parter. I do however know that they have shot a new opening sequence already.

Pilli
Jul 3, 2011

Dogs have owners,
cats have staff

Sub Rosa posted:

I can only imagine it as a reference to the most privileged user in a Unix/etc system, and it wouldn't ever be capitalized in that context as usernames are case sensitive.

I meant her name must be capitalized because she rules, not because of... well, rules. She's become my favorite after Harold Bird this last season, quite a 180 turn after I wanted to claw her eyes off when she went after Harold at the end of S1. Amy Acker is a genius in that role, very in control of her art.

Zaggitz posted:

Added the openings to the first post. The first ep or two probably won't have any opening at all, much like the s2 opening 2-parter. I do however know that they have shot a new opening sequence already.

Thank you. :) Emerson has a way of saying "You are being watched" that's kind of addictive. I've always loved how elastic his voice is.

I'm not surprised that they would have shot a new opening. They've always been close to the story in that regard, and it's one of the little things that I applaud them for. I even suspect that Emerson won't be the narrator anymore, it would be either Root or Samaritan since they kind of let it known on Comic Con that Samaritan would be given a voice.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

New Promo.

:getin:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I laughed when I heard what was said on the phone :smith:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Pilli posted:

Thank you. :) Emerson has a way of saying "You are being watched" that's kind of addictive. I've always loved how elastic his voice is.

It's the bit when he says "We Don't" and the guitar chord kicks in that makes the skin on my arms go bumpy, as cheesy as that is.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Well, enjoy David Slack's work on the show while you can, guys. The inevitable just happened.

The Hollywood Reporter posted:

ABC has handed out a script commitment to drama Protect & Survive, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The ensemble drama centers on the last LAPD precinct fighting to hang on in Los Angeles after a massive disaster changed life as we know it.

Person of Interest's David Slack will pen the script and executive produce alongside Rhimes and Beers via the duo's overall deal with ABC Studios.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 12, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

DivisionPost posted:

Well, enjoy David Slack's work on the show while you can, guys. The inevitable just happened.

Nothing in here says he's leaving the show to do this. I will not give up hope.

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013

Samaritan should speak in the trailer voice. You know, the voice that's only parodied nowadays because of how cheesy it is?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Nothing in here says he's leaving the show to do this. I will not give up hope.
It says Slack will be EPing it which, if you write the pilot, 95% of the time you are probably going to be the showrunner.

edit: also he says its his pilot https://twitter.com/slack2thefuture/status/510225977017114624

Sober fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 12, 2014

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:smith: Goodbye, best PoI writer.

edit: At the very least, he's got one episode this season, and if it's his last he'll hopefully go out with a bang. (It's ep 7)

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 12, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zaggitz posted:

edit: At the very least, he's got one episode this season, and if it's his last he'll hopefully go out with a bang. (It's ep 7)

He'll be here for the season. ABC gave him a script order, which means "Okay, we like your pitch, go write the script for us." Next step is the pilot order, which should come around December-January, and then the series order, which won't come until April-May. During that whole process he's still contracted to PoI; he might leave for a couple of weeks for the pilot shoot but until ABC says "You're picked up," he's still got responsibilities in the room.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Zaggitz posted:

The premise of the new show sounds interesting though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Was the plan 5 or 7 seasons?

Either way I'm not too worried. Hell, last season some of the bigger arc episodes and even RAM were written by people who didn't have any credits until they started working on POI.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sober posted:

Was the plan 5 or 7 seasons?

Either way I'm not too worried. Hell, last season some of the bigger arc episodes and even RAM were written by people who didn't have any credits until they started working on POI.

Based solely on the idea that they said back at the end of S2 that they were doing 2 season "acts" then I'm guessing 6. But then they also referred to the end of HR as the halfway point so it could be five! Basically your guess is as good as mine.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I binge watch the DVDs when the come out, so I'm only a couple of eps into Season 3, but holy poo poo, I loving hate Root. Seriously, she's coming close to making this show unwatchable for me. It's taking all of my self control to keep from fast forwarding through her scenes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hate smug women? Might as well quit watching.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

A fairly sizable chunk of s3 is dedicated to fleshing her out and making her a more likable character now that she's not a full on villain. This all culminates in 3x17, which is one of my favorite episodes. But I liked Root to begin with so your mileage may vary I guess!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I've never been a huge fan of Root. She does mellow a bit and simply became, "The weaker part of the show I roughed through" instead of the "Better leave the room and come back later" part.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Root is the second best character to Shaw. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

xeria posted:

Root is the third best character to Shaw and Fusco. :colbert: