Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rated PG-34 posted:

Hopefully someone will quickly develop a custom dickbutt animated clockface so that wearable smart clocks will become truly mainstream.

Yeah I'm really disappointed that the dicks don't act as hour/minute hands in that photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I just want enough people to buy the Moto360 so I can buy the Moto360-2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ijyt posted:

I just want enough people to buy the Moto360 so I can buy the Moto360-2.

It's going to be called the Moto One.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

It's going to be called the Moto One.

Well played.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Moto360 displays are at bestbuy. Tried one on. They are.. big, but comfortable.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Don Lapre posted:

Moto360 displays are at bestbuy. Tried one on. They are.. big, but comfortable.

Are they in stock for purchase?

Is the Moto 360 capable of doing nfc payments? If not, are any of the watches?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Super Dude posted:

Are they in stock for purchase?

No. the spots for them were all empty, but they had 2 on tethers so you could actually put them on. They were charged up and you could play with it also. The leather straps are really comfy.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Best Buy says in-store pickup for the 360 in 3-5 days, but the add to cart button refuses to actually add it to my cart. Anyone able to get this to work?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

Best Buy says in-store pickup for the 360 in 3-5 days, but the add to cart button refuses to actually add it to my cart. Anyone able to get this to work?

No, its broken or turned off.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Super Dude posted:

Is the Moto 360 capable of doing nfc payments? If not, are any of the watches?

As far as I know, no current Android Wear watch has NFC hardware. You can hack some, but it won't help with payments: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android-wear/general/embed-nfc-tag-android-wear-t2832300

Honestly, I'm okay with having to use my phone for NFC payments (if they're ever adopted), but it would be nice to have an NFC reader in the watch for other purposes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Nothing official yet, but we pretty much knew this was going to be the case since it wasn't listed as a feature during the keynote.

http://recode.net/2014/09/10/codered-apple-watch-battery-life-charge-nightly/

The Apple watch won't be breaking any new ground with smartwatch battery life from what's being leaked. "About a day" is the estimate that's being tossed around from sources.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Moto360 day 1. Pulled off the charger at 7:30AM, at 12:45 (5hrs) with light-moderate usage: 76%.
Looked at it frequently, couple reminders, setup/rang an alarm...so its acceptable. More would be nice, but Im not crying at this point. Just gotta get used to wearing a watch again period. Chances of returning it are small, but if somebody wanted one ASAP at a premium Id be open to it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ilkhan posted:

Moto360 day 1. Pulled off the charger at 7:30AM, at 12:45 (5hrs) with light-moderate usage: 76%.
Looked at it frequently, couple reminders, setup/rang an alarm...so its acceptable. More would be nice, but Im not crying at this point. Just gotta get used to wearing a watch again period. Chances of returning it are small, but if somebody wanted one ASAP at a premium Id be open to it.

Screen always on?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is the new Sony model the only Android Wear device announced thus far that has onboard GPS?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

A BB employee told me their inventory system is completely borked with regards to the 360's. I think the official arrival date for most stores is Sunday the 14th.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
My 360 is coming tomorrow to commemorate 9/11. The only way I was able to order it was those /r/android links directly to a cart with the 360 in it, heh.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Thermopyle posted:

Screen always on?
No, default setting of screen turning off.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Some watch dude on the Apple Watch:
http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/hodinkee-apple-watch-review

quote:

I'm not even sure we can call it a watch. Okay, it goes on the wrist, and it happens to tell the time, but that's about where the similarities between Apple's just announced watch and the hand-assembled, often painstakingly finished mechanical watches we write about, and obsess over, end. I was lucky enough to be invited to Cupertino to witness the announcement of the Apple Watch firsthand, and though I do not believe it poses any threat to haute horology manufactures, I do think the Apple Watch will be a big problem for low-priced quartz watches, and even some entry-level mechanical watches. In years to come, it could pose a larger threat to higher end brands, too. The reason? Apple got more details right on their watch than the vast majority of Swiss and Asian brands do with similarly priced watches, and those details add up to a really impressive piece of design. It offers so much more functionality than other digitals it's almost embarrassing. But it's not perfect, by any means. Read on to hear my thoughts on the Apple Watch, from the perspective of a watch guy. Oh, and there are dozens of in-the-metal pictures, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I guess I'm not really surprised watch nerds are into that ugly thing.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Hey folks, I'm looking for a wearable (now that the Apple watch has been unveiled).

It has to have the following characteristics:

1. It must be completely waterproof (because I swim).
2. It must monitor my heart rate (constantly over the course of the day)
3. It must be a stand alone device (so I don't have to carry a phone around when I run, swim and cycle)
4. It must be able to upload my heart rate readings to another device so I can plot them on a graph over time.

Does a device like this exist?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KingEup posted:

No.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Not to challenge a mod or anything, but there are a number of high-end sports watches that fulfill these functions like the Suunto Quest

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

grack posted:

Not to challenge a mod or anything
Er, challenge away. Nothing we post is gospel unless it concerns forum rules/policies.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

grack posted:

Not to challenge a mod or anything, but there are a number of high-end sports watches that fulfill these functions like the Suunto Quest

I think he wants those things he mentioned in addition to the typical things we expect from a smart watch...notifications, apps, etc. This is the wearables thread, after all.

^^ I'm unchallengeable!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Thermopyle posted:

I think he wants those things he mentioned in addition to the typical things we expect from a smart watch...notifications, apps, etc. This is the wearables thread, after all.

^^ I'm unchallengeable!

Meh. That's what duct tape is for. It's technically one device.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

KingEup posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking for a wearable (now that the Apple watch has been unveiled).

3. It must be a stand alone device (so I don't have to carry a phone around when I run, swim and cycle)
4. It must be able to upload my heart rate readings to another device so I can plot them on a graph over time.

I'm not sure, but I think the latest Samsung monstrosity can almost fulfill your criteria.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

None of them are truly waterproof. I wouldn't swim in one.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Thermopyle posted:

I think he wants those things he mentioned in addition to the typical things we expect from a smart watch...notifications, apps, etc.

No I do not. I don't even care if it has a screen. It doesn't even have to tell the time. Those four characteristics I listed are the only features I'm interested in.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 11, 2014

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

KingEup posted:

No I do not. I don't even care if it has a screen. It doesn't even have to tell the time. Those four characteristics I listed are the only features I'm interested in.

Maybe you want the watches megathread? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3520271

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KingEup posted:

I think you're in the wrong thread. Maybe try one of the exercise forums or something.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A friend of mine (a huge Apple fanboy) who went to the last Google I/O conference gave me his free Samsung Gear Live he got there after trying it for a week and not really liking it, and I've really been enjoying it. I was initially in the "Oh, that's all it does?" camp after loving with it for a day but I've grown to appreciate it's simplicity. The notifications are pretty great, it performs admirably as an actual watch, and I think it's one of the better looking smart watches out there right now. With the Apple Watch stuff coming out am I the only one thinking it seems like they're trying to cram too many features into their watch?

I must say, though, that I don't think I would drop $200 on the watch I have just yet. I've been enjoying it as a free gift, but it's definitely going to take a few generations to get me to pay for a new smart watch, I think. This son of a bitch got a free Moto 360 that should be arriving shortly as well, I'm curious to see how it looks on an actual human hand (and whether he wants to keep that one, either :shobon: )

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

KingEup posted:

All of these things only can read your heart rate if you're absolutely still.

You're probably best off looking at one of those Misfit waterproof wearables for swimming, but they don't contain a heart rate monitor so have another device when you aren't in the pool. I haven't looked at iOS 8 that hard, but I think Apple's upcoming "Health" app will import information from all these wearables so you can add all that in?

If you can't tell, I'm not totally certain of what I speak, especially on iOS, so hopefully knowledgeable people can ring in.

I guess I'm the only one who likes the Apple watch? The aluminum on the sport housing looks like it will collect fewer smudges than the shiny stuff, and while I may not be totally nuts about it's associated band, it can be changed.

I'll grant that NFC aside, they aren't doing anything functionally different for more money. But that leaves hardware, and the 360 just looks unattractive to me. Still, I will play around with all the options next time I go to Best Buy or wherever.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

I guess I'm the only one who likes the Apple watch? The aluminum on the sport housing looks like it will collect fewer smudges than the shiny stuff, and while I may not be totally nuts about it's associated band, it can be changed.

I like the looks of it; it reminds me of the 2007 iPhone, if you put it through a shrink ray and attached a band.

I just can't get over that launcher screen and the UI though. If you told me a year ago that the Android watch would be the more minimal, reactive/notification-driven UI and the Apple device would have a cluttered launcher screen with multiple means of input, I'd think you were full of poo poo.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Thermopyle posted:

I think you're in the wrong thread. Maybe try one of the exercise forums or something.

Why do you say that? I thought this was the wearables thread.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

KingEup posted:

http://www.polar.com/ca-en

This should do what you need.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

keyframe posted:

http://www.polar.com/ca-en

This should do what you need.

They all seem to need a heart rate strap in addition to the wrist band.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

KingEup posted:

Because, this thread is going to have people familiar with Android Wear, Google Glass, Apple stuff, Pebble, and the like. Those certainly can't do what you're looking for.

You're going to find people who use something more specialized like what you're looking for elsewhere.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

explosivo posted:

A friend of mine (a huge Apple fanboy) who went to the last Google I/O conference gave me his free Samsung Gear Live he got there after trying it for a week and not really liking it, and I've really been enjoying it. I was initially in the "Oh, that's all it does?" camp after loving with it for a day but I've grown to appreciate it's simplicity. The notifications are pretty great, it performs admirably as an actual watch, and I think it's one of the better looking smart watches out there right now. With the Apple Watch stuff coming out am I the only one thinking it seems like they're trying to cram too many features into their watch?
I felt the same way, part of me thought they might go simplistic with it just cause the inherent limitations (size/battery) but no they blasted it with some pretty random stuff. Well I can get why they'd do the random social stuff, but the Photos in particular seemed really pointless. I think the main thing was just that it could do whatever and that there is (or will be) an SDK ready. The state of early third party apps should be entertaining/hilarious/:ughh:, it'll be interesting how it all turns out in actual use.

Craptacular! posted:

All of these things only can read your heart rate if you're absolutely still.

You're probably best off looking at one of those Misfit waterproof wearables for swimming, but they don't contain a heart rate monitor so have another device when you aren't in the pool. I haven't looked at iOS 8 that hard, but I think Apple's upcoming "Health" app will import information from all these wearables so you can add all that in?

If you can't tell, I'm not totally certain of what I speak, especially on iOS, so hopefully knowledgeable people can ring in.
Yeah the Health app should be able to, assuming the hardware/software dev takes advantage of the API for it. Haven't really been keeping track but it seems like companies are generally on board with it, probably since it'd be a disadvantage if they're not.

quote:

I'll grant that NFC aside, they aren't doing anything functionally different for more money. But that leaves hardware, and the 360 just looks unattractive to me. Still, I will play around with all the options next time I go to Best Buy or wherever.
If you're talking about design I think it looks ok, a bit tall but not too horrible looking to me otherwise. Like it looked almost normal on the wrists in the video, and I'm a sucker for the Milanese loop strap (reminded me of Breitling's fancy rear end ones). In theory I should like the 360 cause it's round and really clean, but I'm not a fan of how the straps meet the body, maybe too clean for me. Kinda makes the body look bigger (not that it needs help there) and awkwardly resting on top or something. I actually like the LG R one better...well the default face makes it look bad I think, but the body casing and strap connection look decent (if admittedly plain/normal looking).

(As far as actual utility I still have questions about usability in just looking at it without interacting the opposite hand, while cautiously optimistic about other random possibilities)

KingEup posted:

Cause the stuff you asked for all fitness specific and probably more suitable in that area, while apparently this thread is for the more general type of tech wearable. While the latter can do that stuff to an extent they're not purpose built for it like the fitness stuff. There's an overlap between them but it's not enough to fit your needs at this point.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I have the Moto360 on. I actually really like it. It feels great, it's super light and comfortable. It's just a nice piece of jewelry first. I'm a watch guy, I wear one every day, and I'll have no problems adding this to the rotation.

I don't know about battery life, since i've only had it one day, but I took it off the charger 3 hours ago, it's set to the screen always on mode (ambient mode on) and it's at 88% after three hours. That's 12% in three hours, 4%/hour, so if that rate continues it should last 24hours. That doesn't seem consistent with the prevailing sentiment, but whatever.

It's got some nice faces, and the notifications are really handy while commuting, standing up on the train, since I don't have to get my phone out. Also while out and about in the city it's nice to not have to get my phone out to see what's going on. I'm going to put it up on ebay for pure profit, but I'll definitely re-buy at a cheaper price with the earnings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Also every smart watch we've seen so far are at best IP67, which is "rated for water resistance up to 1m" and certainly doesn't mean waterproof. They can get soaked fine, but an actual swim is probably not safe.