Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
In all honesty I will probably not do this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Since painting my MG Qubeley by hand is apparently impossible I decided that I'm gonna get an airbrush setup and paints for xmas this year. I'm trying to decide on an airbrush and I have settled on this so far. I figure that plus a hood and some acrylic paints would make a good setup? Any opinions from airbrush users out there?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Since painting my MG Qubeley by hand is apparently impossible I decided that I'm gonna get an airbrush setup and paints for xmas this year. I'm trying to decide on an airbrush and I have settled on this so far. I figure that plus a hood and some acrylic paints would make a good setup? Any opinions from airbrush users out there?

That is the thing I started with when I started airbrushing, and it is a really great way to go. I used it for a few years before upgrading. A hood isn't strictly necessary with acrylics, but it's a really good idea so you should do it. And if you ever spray something other than acrylics, you will definitely want to have it. Plus a mask, if you're working with lacquers.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

Most of what I've done is HGUC stuff including the Z'gok. I really just love that design and wanted it on my shelf next to my karate bugmen and my lumberjack robot fighter. My first kit was the RG RX-78-2 though and I did that in a day.

I plan on documenting the Neo Zeong from start to finish, starting with the receipt and ending with my ritualized suicide.

Oh I wasn't making GBS threads on it, I actually gave an extra to my friend as a shallow attempt to get him hooked on gunpla since the Z'gok is such an easy build and moves really well.

Just the jump from Z'gok to Neo Zeong is pretty staggering.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Suzaku posted:

That is the thing I started with when I started airbrushing, and it is a really great way to go. I used it for a few years before upgrading. A hood isn't strictly necessary with acrylics, but it's a really good idea so you should do it. And if you ever spray something other than acrylics, you will definitely want to have it. Plus a mask, if you're working with lacquers.

Part of my reasoning for getting an airbrush is that I can get a smooth finish with acrylics and that acrylics don't have all the nasty fumes that lacquers do. The hood is mostly so that vaporized paint does not float around and get on everything. I'll probably just get some paper masks to filter out the major stuff.

I can just clean the acrylics out of the airbrush with water, right? I was going to use an acrylic thinner for thinning the paints themselves since I've heard that it gives a slightly smoother finish.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Part of my reasoning for getting an airbrush is that I can get a smooth finish with acrylics and that acrylics don't have all the nasty fumes that lacquers do. The hood is mostly so that vaporized paint does not float around and get on everything. I'll probably just get some paper masks to filter out the major stuff.

I can just clean the acrylics out of the airbrush with water, right? I was going to use an acrylic thinner for thinning the paints themselves since I've heard that it gives a slightly smoother finish.

you can but the best cleaner is windex. Buy a big refill bottle of it for like 5 bucks. It's also good for stripping acrylic paint.

You can use acrylic thinner, but I've found 99% rubbing alcohol has given me good results. Also way cheaper.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
For most acrylics you can thin them just fine with water. Distill it if you want to be fancy.

If you're going to be airbrushing, though, you're probably going to be using Tamiya's alcohol based acrylics. As such, yeah, pick up some 90% + iso alcohol.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

For most acrylics you can thin them just fine with water. Distill it if you want to be fancy.

If you're going to be airbrushing, though, you're probably going to be using Tamiya's alcohol based acrylics. As such, yeah, pick up some 90% + iso alcohol.

Don't the Tamiya acrylics smell horrific? Like "get a gasmask or prepare to hurl." level stench? :ohdear:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The ones I've used didn't smell all that bad, just a sort of vague sick-sweet smell.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Yeah, it's the lacquers that have awful odors if I remember correctly. I always found the sweet smell of the acrylics mildly pleasant, actually. But I'm a weirdo.

You should be using a mask with lacquers anyway, though. It won't hurt with acrylics, but they're nowhere near as toxic.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

The Muffinlord posted:

In all honesty I will probably not do this thing.

Just buy the Exia and make an Exia. AND then get the Fenice to be the much easier base for the AC custom! It's easy and definitely not how you end up with a backlog. I will say though I heard something take a shelf dive like 2 months ago and had no idea what it was because everything looked in place. Today I went to look at my Exia all bashed up with the cloth and it was gone!! Luckily it had survived the dive completely intact! Thanks!

Be aware though if you get the Ignition you don't get enough head parts to make a full fixed head and a wrecked head, you have to choose one or the other. I went with wrecked because I have plenty of pristine robets. Also the chrome is, as expected, gated badly so you end up with visible nub marks on it. I just stripped and sprayed it in the end.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

mr. stefan posted:

The ones I've used didn't smell all that bad, just a sort of vague sick-sweet smell.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Yeah, it's the lacquers that have awful odors if I remember correctly. I always found the sweet smell of the acrylics mildly pleasant, actually. But I'm a weirdo.

You should be using a mask with lacquers anyway, though. It won't hurt with acrylics, but they're nowhere near as toxic.

Oh good. Thanks for the advice guys. :)

KoB
May 1, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Are you trying to make this out of a MG? If not, why not just use Wing Fenice? He even comes with a beam mantle that mimics Ezio's, and the claws on the arms can be used as hidden blades.

Because the Exia Auditore is a funny name :cmon:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

KoB posted:

Because the Exia Auditore is a funny name :cmon:

So is "Ezio Auditore da Fenice". :colbert:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Just a reminder that the risk from sprayed acrylics comes not so much from toxicity as "coating your lungs with plastic-based paint," which can have very unpleasant consequences, so a spray mask is still absolutely called for in most cases.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Bimmi posted:

Just a reminder that the risk from sprayed acrylics comes not so much from toxicity as "coating your lungs with plastic-based paint," which can have very unpleasant consequences, so a spray mask is still absolutely called for in most cases.

So you are just trying to say to coat our lungs in future first and then do a swig of thinner in the lungs after painting correct?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

If you're spraying anything at all, do it in a well-ventilated area.

I don't think I actually need to tell you that, but a dude on /toy/ got on my case about not warning him to not spray paint in his basement, so.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

If you're spraying anything at all, do it in a well-ventilated area.

I don't think I actually need to tell you that, but a dude on /toy/ got on my case about not warning him to not spray paint in his basement, so.

What do you do during winter? Just build stuff instead of painting?

I'm planning to paint in my basement, but it has a door to the outside and one of those little basement windows on the other side so the ventilation ought to be decent if I open those up. Plus I was going to wear a mask anyway.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Handbrush. :shrug:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I paint in the basement but I only do it when there's a) no one home b) I wear a paint mask and c) Immediately after I leave the house for work or some other errand.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 11, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Acrylic is pretty drat safe as far as paints go, but yeah, wear a mask, spray in a well ventilated area, and don't eat while working. Especially when you're working with cadmium pigments.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just got my order from Gundam Store and More, their membership thingy is pretty nice. Bought a platinum membership and got a ~

hg guntank (gun and a tank whats not to love about this midget)
hg hizack
mg zaku 2
some random sd gundam

then got $60 credit and got ~

mg strike aile rm
mg ground gm

Not to bad of a deal for some random stuff to practice on.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 11, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tenzarin posted:

Just got my order from Gundam Store and More, their membership thingy is pretty nice. Bought a platinum membership and got a ~

hg guntank (gun and a tank whats not to love about this midget)
hg hizack
mg zaku 2
some random sd gundam

then got $60 credit and got ~

hg strike aile rm
hg ground gm

Not to bad of a deal for some random stuff to practice on.

If you can still edit your order, swap the Strike Aile Remaster for the HGCE Strike Gundam. It's a newer version that's much better made.

It's the one with a box like this;

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Has anybody actually made a Gump?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gundam Guy has pictures of the kits for the main suits for season two of Build Fighters and I want all of them. So far in my modeling career I've built the R35 Gouf and recently ordered the Gyan and the backpack that makes it like the one from Build Fighters. The designs of the show are just so good. I can't resist.

How much work is a real grade compared to a standard HG? I really want either the Destiny or Mk.2 but I'm not sure if I'm ready to build them yet.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ethiser posted:

Gundam Guy has pictures of the kits for the main suits for season two of Build Fighters and I want all of them. So far in my modeling career I've built the R35 Gouf and recently ordered the Gyan and the backpack that makes it like the one from Build Fighters. The designs of the show are just so good. I can't resist.

How much work is a real grade compared to a standard HG? I really want either the Destiny or Mk.2 but I'm not sure if I'm ready to build them yet.

RG kits are essentially MGs, right down to the inner frame. It's Bandai so nothing is super complicated, but you might want to give a MG kit a go first(a recent one), just so you can get some practice in before you try the same thing when it's smaller.

Edit: Of course, if MGs are out of your budget or you'd rather avoid 1/100 kits for scale purposes, you should do fine with either the Mk.II or Destiny. Just avoid RG Zeta.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 11, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Ethiser posted:

They are not really harder per se, they just have a lot of very small parts. The small parts can make stuff like nub removal more difficult and the tight fit of the parts can make painting a pain.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Just avoid RG Zeta.

That and the RG RX-78-02. The rest are all great kits.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

RG kits are essentially MGs, right down to the inner frame. It's Bandai so nothing is super complicated, but you might want to give a MG kit a go first(a recent one), just so you can get some practice in before you try the same thing when it's smaller.

Edit: Of course, if MGs are out of your budget or you'd rather avoid 1/100 kits for scale purposes, you should do fine with either the Mk.II or Destiny. Just avoid RG Zeta.

I have not problem with Master Grades. It is mainly some weird compulsion to have everything the same scale and to save on shelf space. Good to know about the Zeta.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
You'll probably want to put down a primer coat (rattlecan or airbrush) before applying acrylics to improve coat adhesion, and for that you definitely want a good mask, eye protection, and very good ventilation.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Broken Loose posted:

Has anybody actually made a Gump?

no one here makes anything. We talk talk about what we just bought, then complain about a growing backlog. Maybe post an in progress from 3 years ago

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
AHEM!

Don't put me in the same pile as them. My poo poo gets built, and my only "backlog" is still about 5 days from even getting here. :colbert:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I just have six WIPs I alternate between to keep things fresh.

Also

Tenzarin posted:

Just got my order from Gundam Store and More,

They're still alive? :psyduck:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I still use GS&M when I buy older kits. Which granted isn't very often.

edit: they recently lost a sale from me because four out of five kits I wanted to order were out of stock.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 11, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TaurusOxford posted:

If you're a real man you buy an RG RX-78-2 as your first kit and spend twelve straight hours cussing at it and then immediately order more kits and then stare at the Neo Zeong. Trial by fire motherfuckers.

edit

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 11, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Fauxtool posted:

no one here makes anything. We talk talk about what we just bought, then complain about a growing backlog. Maybe post an in progress from 3 years ago

No, I mean, like, ever.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've had nothing but trouble keeping the GP-01/Fb together, the drat upper body just doesn't want to stay on the core fighter piece.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you can still edit your order, swap the Strike Aile Remaster for the HGCE Strike Gundam. It's a newer version that's much better made.

It's the one with a box like this;

Oops, both the last two are mg kits.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This was my first RG and I guess just jumping in when you're not expecting anything made it easier than you guys seem to think it is. I can't wait to do chars Z'Gok and have it be a breeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I decided to cancel my Zeong order so I could throw a brown gundam marker in with it and it turns out that the addition of a marker was going to add literally a hundred dollars in shipping to my order. What the gently caress, Japan

• Locked thread