Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Multist? I don't understand.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Cultist with the multist!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Outrail posted:

I thought it sounded familiar, so I did some checking. Here's what I found after a search:

It's a reference to "Kill a Commie for Mommy," a slogan apparently coined by one Col. David H. Hackworth during the Korean War.

http://youarenotforgotten.tumblr.com/post/5477693473/col-david-h-hackworth-1930-2005-perhaps-the

Edit: That said, yeah, let's get down to work: C

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Outrail posted:

Sorry, old reference. Kill a commie for mommy. I couldn't find a rhyme for cultist.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
C

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

C

How about "kill a heathen for Ethan"?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

A

We should investigate this Owen fellow, he seems highly suspicious.

Oh right, we are Owen, no wonder he's suspicious.

Lets investigate Cruentus, his 30 minute investigation could have been used to hide an actual cult. If Amacita were hiding anything, she would have done more than report "nothing is there."

In addition, we should frame investigate Limosa, because the person most in favor needs to be in flux. Any way to discredit or remove our competition is a good thing.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo, he's saying the new tribe is the cultists?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Grognan posted:

poo poo, he's saying the new tribe is the cultists?

No, he's saying that we know the ship better than the acolyte.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
The only good cultist is a dead cultist. Or a Machine Cultist. Either way, C.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

No, he's saying that we know the ship better than the acolyte.

Right, the new cultists are arrivals from the most recent planet the ship visited. Ill have new faces show up every now and then, similar to how the battery was picked up at the last world.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
B

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C We can hardly become the next Rogue Trader and crush our political rivals underfoot if we have a bunch of Khornites or Nurgle worshipers wrecking up the place all the time. Best get rid of them before they do something nasty.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

C

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
C

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Destroy a cult for Holt!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiaJldR39A8

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Maybe we can be the cultist and they don't know it yet. Cool.

C. Let's join the cult, gain their trust and then lure them into the inbetween with promises of a cool new hideout. That's when our new allies will ambush the living poo poo out of them with home ground advantage and overwhelming numbers.

Then we confiscate the heretical poo poo they had and tinker with it until something cool happens.

That gives us an opportunity to get plus points from the Inc boss and go exploring.

Also, I bet you the chick who found nothing is up to something stupid, and was covering for whatever she didn't find.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 11, 2014

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Outrail posted:

Maybe we can be the cultist and they don't know it yet. Cool.

C. Let's join the cult, gain their trust and then lure them into the inbetween with promises of a cool new hideout. That's when our new allies will ambush the living poo poo out of them with home ground advantage and overwhelming numbers.

Then we confiscate the heretical poo poo they had and tinker with it until something cool happens.

That gives us an opportunity to get plus points from the Inc boss and go exploring.

Also, I bet you the chick who found nothing is up to something stupid, and was covering for whatever she didn't find.

That's an awesome plan if we can pull it off without exposing our allegiances.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Input Title Here

In a strange way, you feel like you are returning to the beginning. Inquistor Kozilek sent you aboard your home to find heretics, all those weeks ago, and now you are returning to the exurb outside the main city that wraps around The Grateful Burden. Although only separated by a matter of meters, the change between the two locations is palpable.

Many visitors to the Beast of Trall Traal never make it more than a kilometer in. Going from the passenger loading bay, they sequester themselves to the exurbs and the origin point of the The Grateful Burden. Perhaps 10-15,000 people reside there at any given time, pilgrims, refugees, wanderers and the lost. They often stay for only a few weeks, perhaps a year, using the ship as a unit of transit, as opposed to the home and floating city you know it as.

Sometimes, they would join the ship, and not manage to find their way off, whether to funds, change in goals, or actually losing their way. They might marry into the city proper, and after a few generations, be indistinguishable from those who had been there centuries. The two locations were rivals of a sort, naming themselves the Shallows and the Deeps, with the Shallows being closer to the loading bays. Given that the cultists had just come aboard, you believed they would still be in the Shallows.

To get there, though, you would have to travel through the Deeps - you lacked your Lord-Sire’s favor that would grant you access to the private train. It would be useful to eventually gain access to it - it would speed your access from one of the ship to the other dramatically, but such a thing was subject to a brutal pecking order. Not because of any logistical concerns, as far as you could tell. The Lord-Sire just liked to have everyone thinking politically.

Compared to the dispersed and occasionally isolated world of Between, the Deeps were an overwhelming hive of activity. Even more distracting, it appeared to be an Imperial holiday - celebrating the Holy Saint Ching Shih in her role as Matriarch of the Family, Founder of the Dynasty, and Divine Representative of the God-Emperor. As such, the tens of thousands of people were in wild celebration, with a particular focus on theatre, masks, and reenactment.

Different events of her reputed life were being played out - a dozen people under the costume of a space kraken, swarming over children wearing masks of Space Marines and the Wardens. The quiet shrines inside Alpha Deck were much less sure of the history of Ching Shih, and it was important to be aware of truths. Here, though, all sorts of religious exuberance was encouraged - it was vital that the civilian populace worshipped the Dynasty as was proper.

Above the train, dozens of kites were being flown, shifting on the air currents that kept the ship alive. Beyond them, barely visible under layers of smoke and fireworks, murals centuries or millennia old, detailing saints and battles and memorials barely recognizable and barely remembered. On the train tracks themselves, people wearing purple or gold continued their eternal game, although even Woodhouse was at a loss as to the rules. Some aspects of the Beast of Trall Traal were strange even to people born a kilometer away from their customs.

Between the kraken battles, a funeral march was making its way to the recycling centers of the ship. Any other time, the march would have been the loudest thing in the area, with shrieks, cries, chanting, and shouting, but right now it simply faded into a background of cacophony. Funerals were a mixed emotion of celebration and grief, as people were returned to the ship, to be passed forward anew. Their implants would be removed and re-used, and useful bodies processed for servitors. Ancestors lived on within you in a very literal way, so don’t screw up.

Pushing your way past them, you make it to the Shallows, finally. You are unsure if its a trick of your mind, but it seems quieter here, more somber, the air heated. Incense is thick in the air; ten thousand pilgrims make for a devoted atmosphere, and it seems every other passageway is a temporary shrine or holy area. Walking in front of you, a dozen barefoot flagellants are beating themselves, chanting hymns to the God-Emperor.

Priests are giving wild sermons to their followers, who listen with fevered gaze, and even if they weren’t, the ship’s Cathedral relays their sermons here every six hours. Pausing for a moment, you note how different it is here. The pilgrims tower over you, and most shipboard people, and the vast majority of the lack any sort of implants whatsoever. It’s a disturbing thing.

Thoughtfully, you consider your options.

A. Mistaken identity. The cultists don’t know who they approaching, so you should be able to persuade them that you are the one they are looking for. You just need to find someone who looks more out of place than usual and approach them.

B. Consult Machine Spirits. The cultists wouldn’t have stayed here long, so you should check the logs to see who has left and where they have gone.

C. We have ways. Order grey cloaks here and see who runs, then bring them in for questioning.

D. Endure, and in enduring grow strong. It’s better to get a lay of the land. Grab a newspaper and watch the crowds behind it, something will come up.

E. Something Else

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

B Hail to the Omnisiah!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Ah, I feel bad ignoring Zerthimon's teachings, but I'll have to vote for B. The Machine Spirits won't betray us, surely?

e: Wait a second... "Learn to see the whole, or be blinded to the truth."

Hah. I'm going with D after all.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Diogines posted:

B Hail to the Omnisiah!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Praised Be the machine god!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Diogines posted:

B Hail to the Omnisiah!

Praise his Binary Name

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
D good things come to those who wait to kill.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

my dad posted:

Ah, I feel bad ignoring Zerthimon's teachings, but I'll have to vote for B. The Machine Spirits won't betray us, surely?

I can't ignore Zerthimon. D, after all 'Patience is a virtue'.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

my dad posted:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B, I doubt we're gonna be able to hide behind a space newspaper considering our typical attire.

Funerals on a spaceship ending in the recycling center reminds me of Knights of Sidonia.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

B, I doubt we're gonna be able to hide behind a space newspaper considering our typical attire.

Funerals on a spaceship ending in the recycling center reminds me of Knights of Sidonia.

Minor quibble - your last level up got you synth flesh, so you look like a normal void born, not a tech priest. (and presumably, can vat grow different colorations later to fit in other places)

I haven't read Knights of Sidonia, but it looks interesting.

Loel fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 17, 2014

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

D let's be sneaky

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Woo! Glad you're still updating!

Multivote:Go with (B) as it won't take long and might give us some background knowledge. Then order in grey cloaks (C), watch who runs and (A)pproach them and fake the way in with our gained knowledge of who they are.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

I wasn't sure if I was going to do easter egg xp for this one, but I like that you went ahead and grabbed the Unbroken Circle. Lets say... 40 XP!

Current standing is excitingly close.

b x x x x x
d x x x x x
e: (bca) x

Loel fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 17, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LowellDND posted:

Minor quibble - your last level up got you synth flesh, so you look like a normal void born, not a tech priest. (and presumably, can vat grow different colorations later to fit in other places)

I haven't read Knights of Sidonia, but it looks interesting.

I was thinking more our dress as a member of the Family and obvious wealth. I assumed we're dressed as per normal, our character doesn't seem like the kind of person who would ever learn to dress down and blend.

To put it another way: We're a Tech Priest, not a detective, dammit!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

D! Let's practice some social maneuvering.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

paragon1 posted:

To put it another way: We're a Tech Priest, not a detective, dammit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psnCd3aFLmc

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
D

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

D, they haven't been around long enough for a good track via machine spirit logs.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

FireSight posted:

D, they haven't been around long enough for a good track via machine spirit logs.

I agree with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
D

It's funny how the most feared space pirate in the sector can end up being the founder of an entirely legal trading dynasty (for a given value of legal).