Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

There should not be a Chase.

Winner!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

yup

e- also pnut is a lane beast

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bhester posted:

I don't think NASCAR needs double points races, but if they did I wouldn't want two plate races to be that way.. replace Talladega with Indy.

I'm just going by history.

Talladega is indeed one of the "Grand Slam" races, and I think winning that race is kind of "meaningful"

Indy? They can bid on the title race. (They likely have a good shot at it).

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
winning at a plate race is not meaningful and I'd prefer that people stop saying that

e- I take that back, the Daytona 500 is meaningful, but only when a legend wins it after not winning it for years, like DW or Earnhardt, those meant something

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 10, 2014

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

VikingSkull posted:

winning at a plate race is not meaningful and I'd prefer that people stop saying that

Exhibit A:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm just going by history.

Talladega is indeed one of the "Grand Slam" races, and I think winning that race is kind of "meaningful"

Indy? They can bid on the title race. (They likely have a good shot at it).

Which Talladega race is important? (Following question: If nobody knows which Talladega race is important, isn't that evidence that neither Talladega race is important?)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Which Talladega race is important? (Following question: If nobody knows which Talladega race is important, isn't that evidence that neither Talladega race is important?)

Spring one.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
what the gently caress

what's the difference between the two

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

FuzzySkinner posted:

4 races, make them double points.

Daytona 500
Alabama 500
Coca Cola 600
Southern 500.

Then...add one more race at the end and make it double points. Have it be up for bid at a neutral site, and pretty much allow any city in North America to bid on it so long as they have the ability to hold a race there (Cleveland for example would be eligible because of Burke Lakefront Airport) Daytona, Talladega, Darlington and Charlotte are not eligible to hold this race.

This is where you can have your "Super Bowl", and gimmick the hell out of it if you want. You want to be like "Stick and Ball"? That's how you do it. Not with some bullshit playoff.

No.

The worst thing you can do in racing is a playoff system. The second worst is finding a reason to make some of the races worth double the points.

The "prestige" of the Talladega race in the Winston Million/early No Bull 5 days was the Winston sponsorship. For a number of years, the Spring race was the Winston 500, but in 1998, the sponsorships flipped.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Fuzzy is proof that marketing works

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

LASTCAR posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Talladega race will be even more boring and anticlimactic than last fall's single-file parade.

Although I'm struggling to imagine what that would look like.

I would say "Drivers all get together and agree to run single file at pace lap speed all day so no one wrecks, and then draw straws to see who gets to win at the end", but then NASCAR would just black-flag everyone except the driver they think would create the most "excitement" by moving to the next round.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kill the chase

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Bottomline?

NASCAR had their version of what Golf and Tennis had, and they could have marketed those a poo poo ton better. That's the direction they should have gone. period.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
no, Winston had their version of what golf and tennis had

also if you use golf as a comparison to NASCAR you no longer can bitch about Buschwhackers so be sure of what you type

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

no, Winston had their version of what golf and tennis had

also if you use golf as a comparison to NASCAR you no longer can bitch about Buschwhackers so be sure of what you type

Jeeze, so touchy.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
also just pointing out that you're referencing a time in NASCAR's history that was basically two decades ago

it's over Johnny

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
stay gold Ponyboy etc

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

stay gold Ponyboy etc

Mhm.

You're wrong.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
considering everyone else that posted said the same thing as I did I doubt it

e- also are you even old enough to get that quote

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

FuzzySkinner posted:

Jeeze, so touchy.

:ironicat:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
lol

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

That's such an easy fix though.

All they had to do was market their marquee races and just care gently caress-all about the title.

Do casual sports fans give a poo poo about Tiger Woods winning the Tour Championship? No. But they will be watching the 4 majors.

Do casual sports fans give a poo poo about Tennis at some venue in Cincinnati? No, but they will watch Wimbledon, French Open and such?

Do casual sports fans give a poo poo about Horse racing when it's now May or June? No, but they will watch the Triple Crown races.

That's what I'm getting at. Casual fans will tune in to Talladega, Daytona, Darlington and Charlotte because they would have some form of history to them.

They also have historically produced some of the best moments in the sport.

To market races at Chicagoland, Kansas, New Hampshire and other lovely metro ovals is dumb as hell.

It's a lot easier when you have authentic, real events to sell to people instead of lovely fake versions of a "Championship".

That's what I'm getting at.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

we've broken the code, fellas: NASCAR is dumb as poo poo

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

*shocked gasping from audience*

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

That's such an easy fix though.

All they had to do was market their marquee races and just care gently caress-all about the title.

Do casual sports fans give a poo poo about Tiger Woods winning the Tour Championship? No. But they will be watching the 4 majors.

Do casual sports fans give a poo poo about Tennis at some venue in Cincinnati? No, but they will watch Wimbledon, French Open and such?

Do casual sports fans give a poo poo about Horse racing when it's now May or June? No, but they will watch the Triple Crown races.

That's what I'm getting at. Casual fans will tune in to Talladega, Daytona, Darlington and Charlotte because they would have some form of history to them.

They also have historically produced some of the best moments in the sport.

To market races at Chicagoland, Kansas, New Hampshire and other lovely metro ovals is dumb as hell.

It's a lot easier when you have authentic, real events to sell to people instead of lovely fake versions of a "Championship".

That's what I'm getting at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

"Do casual sports fans give a poo poo about Horse racing when it's now May or June? No, but they will watch the Triple Crown races."

I'm quoting this twice just to make sure everyone reads it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
triple crown races mean ovals does he not get that

e- also great month choices man

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Fuzzy, welcome to the feeling I get when I post in the Indy thread

you and I aren't so different, after all

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz6wt4QdGJQ

Gonna post Dan Gurney videos then.

:allears:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
too bad AJ made him his gentle bitch

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
also Dave MacDonald was a better road racer than Gurney hth

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

too bad AJ made him his gentle bitch

He and AJ were teammates at the 24 hours.

Foyt is the man though.

You see this btw?

http://www.usacracing.com/component/k2/item/4232-damion-gardner-goes-190-mph-in-shakedown-run-at-bonneville

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

kidcoelacanth posted:

*shocked gasping from audience*

Skip to 10 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTNPKoNw0j0

dennyk posted:

I would say "Drivers all get together and agree to run single file at pace lap speed all day so no one wrecks, and then draw straws to see who gets to win at the end", but then NASCAR would just black-flag everyone except the driver they think would create the most "excitement" by moving to the next round.

Single file for 184 laps. Somebody pulls out of line, causes The Big One, repeat for 3 GWCs, NASCAR dry heaves until they pass out because Jr was caught up in the last wreck and is eliminated while (Insert 8-16 seed Here) advances.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

He and AJ were teammates at the 24 hours.

Foyt is the man though.

You see this btw?

http://www.usacracing.com/component/k2/item/4232-damion-gardner-goes-190-mph-in-shakedown-run-at-bonneville

kinda cool but as an Indy fan you shoulda posted this

e- 390mph in the shakedown run, he's going for 500

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Goddamn it you two need to get a room already.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
What if we make all the races double points!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
what if we make all the races doubleheaders

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

gret posted:

Goddamn it you two need to get a room already.

#indyrivals VikingSkull V. Fuzzyskinner.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

VikingSkull posted:

what if we make all the races doubleheaders

ISIS loves a good doubleheader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
false green flag