Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I got a mission reward from this breakout pass thing, Factory New Green Apple! :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoiceOfIntuition
Apr 11, 2009
I'm going to perpetuate the cycle by leaving this steam dev day talk on in game economies (TF2 and Dota2 though, no csgo) and this pdf on the genesis of the csgo skin system. Watch and read and tell me what you think guys!!!

Ok cool see you all in 400 posts

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the skin system is an interesting read because im a loving nerd

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Really new/dumb to the whole workshop thing. When do we get to buy that Lord Gaben sticker?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I like skins because they look cool and I'm willing to spend some money on a game I enjoy. Some skins cost more than I am willing to pay, and that's fine.

VoiceOfIntuition
Apr 11, 2009
Oh before I go it's also funny that the topic of patches vs "good" initial releases came up because this update literally broke everything :puckout:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Another two pages about some goons sensitivity

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

VoiceOfIntuition posted:

Oh before I go it's also funny that the topic of patches vs "good" initial releases came up because this update literally broke everything :puckout:

Mine crashed in the middle of a match and then told me I needed to do another update.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Mine gets to the buy menu and then does that fun looping noise crash how wonderful.

Deleting and redownloading didn't fix anything!

scuz fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 11, 2014

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

i think that guy was wrong for flipping out over the economic system and all but most of you replied in the smarmiest condescending tone of a stereotypical goon, And That Is Wrong.

rock on anti skin guy

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

ArfJason posted:

i think that guy was wrong for flipping out over the economic system and all but most of you replied in the smarmiest condescending tone of a stereotypical goon, And That Is Wrong.

rock on anti skin guy

Causing people to flip out is what goons do best though. How could you deny us that?!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

what is it with csgo players and using basically a couple of words over and over for insults. It's 90% kid, human being, or homo.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

GreyPowerVan posted:

what is it with csgo players and using basically a couple of words over and over for insults. It's 90% kid, human being, or homo.

Alright kid, maybe you should come up with a new insult.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

pliable posted:

It was monetized the second they started selling the game. The game is on the rise in sales as well. It's always on the top sellers list on Steam.

No they weren't. Skins weren't in the game for a while, and before the whole market/skin thing happened CS:GO was the ugly duckling of Valve's game and now we're seeing real dev time put into it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

CS has somehow managed to rotate in the same selection of 14-23 year old children/stoners/assholes throughout the decade of its existence, it's pretty incredible. I get at least one game a week with someone stoned out of their gourd, a child yelling into the mic, or a group of teenagers who think they're hilarious.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 11, 2014

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Nation posted:

Another two pages about some goons sensitivity

I think 10" is about as good of a sweet spot as you can get.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

I think 10" is about as good of a sweet spot as you can get.

:quagmire:

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item
Holy poo poo this thread finds new and innovative ways to be total trash and yet still entertaining.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Orv posted:

CS has somehow managed to rotate in the same selection of 14-23 year old children/stoners/assholes throughout the decade of its existence, it's pretty incredible. I get at least one game a week with someone stoned out of their gourd, a child yelling into the mic, or a group of teenagers who think they're hilarious.

an aus goonman regular spent a game in spectate smoking a bong with a candle and laughing at the 2 assholes playing (one is 16) voice comms.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I think it'd be cool if CSGO had paint buckets like TF2 and you could paint a gun whatever color you want.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Orv posted:

Im the CS player archetype: *bong rip over mic* *avatar of a girl with a Fuckin Hot rear end*

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

Im the CS player archetype: *bong rip over mic* *avatar of a girl with a Fuckin Hot rear end*

*reports profile... AGAIN*

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I just had a comp d2 match where a girl on our team top fragged and had an av of a fat dude so I'm really confused

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's hardly a given rule, just something amusing I've noticed. :shrug:

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

GreyPowerVan posted:

I get "friend of the family" a lot, especially if a person really is black. Just the other night some dude told a black dude to go pick cotton, then immediately called him a "friend of the family".

It's absolutely insane how many epithets are thrown around in the game

down with slavery posted:

No they weren't. Skins weren't in the game for a while, and before the whole market/skin thing happened CS:GO was the ugly duckling of Valve's game and now we're seeing real dev time put into it.

Ohh okay, this completely explains why you are a loving idiot and think I'm referring to skins in that context.

ArfJason posted:

rock on anti skin guy

Thanks and despite your disagreement, I think you're a cool dude :3:

pliable fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 11, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

pliable posted:

Ohh okay, this explains completely why you are a loving idiot and think I'm referring to skins in that context.

Wow, rap sheet shaming? How dare u

Also on track to get another "be nice to the cs thread" probation cuz goddamn u are an idiota

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 11, 2014

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

pliable posted:

Ohh okay, this completely explains why you are a loving idiot and think I'm referring to skins in that context.

Why are you still loving up this thread with stupid bullshit that nobody cares about?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Listen kid, I've been complaining about counter-strike since before you were born. I've bitched about trivial details of the game that you haven't even noticed. Don't walk into this thread and try to be some kind of whining hotshot because you're a babe in the woods when it comes to hating this game.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

remember when we only had WOL

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

Out of the thousands of legitimate complaints about counter strike in its current form that he could be making, he picks the absolutely most inoffensive one to sperg incessantly about for 5 pages or something.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Are the reserve maps ever going to be active competitive maps again?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Cuttlefush posted:

Train will probably make it's way back once Valve releases their updated version.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

mcvey posted:

Train will probably make it's way back once Valve releases their updated version.

Train is dead, long live Cbble

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

Cuttlefush posted:

In what sense? I mean, I just played a competitive game on Italy and Office the other day, so...

Just add them to your list of maps and wait for them in queue, that's usually what I do if I don't feel like playing dust2 for the billionth time.

PIGEOTO posted:

Why are you still loving up this thread with stupid bullshit that nobody cares about?

I dunno, why do you still clearly care and dedicate an entire post to show how much nobody cares? I'm responding to people who have quoted or are talking about me, dummy. Let it go.

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

Pliable is that kid in school who, for some inexplicable reason, knows intimately the innards of train ticketing and timetabling systems. Every human interaction he has has to be on the subject of train ticketing and timetabling systems, or at the very least has to be in terms of train ticketing and timetabling systems. Everyone is constantly and transparently trying to move the conversation away from train ticketing and timetabling systems. Good luck. Owing to his crippling autism, pliable can't help but continually throw train ticketing and timetabling system analogies back in there and before you know it, the conversation is back on topic to the immediate issue of train ticketing and timetabling systems.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

pliable posted:

If you had read my edit, it would clear things up. But thanks for ignoring that bit.

How is this pathetic? The system is already in place, do you have any idea how easy it is to copy/paste a texture? And I never implied my playtime is more valuable, I'm arguing a way to make the game more fun for all by having better skins drop for everyone. Blizzard did this just fine with their D3 update, so I sincerely fail to see the problem here. Yes people spend their time making the skins, but it's their own free time; it's not like it's their job (or hell, maybe for some it is but that's a lovely career choice then). I have a buddy who can whip up a Graphite like texture in 10 loving minutes. So what the poo poo is your problem?

Why is this ridiculous? The work to implement the system is done. All they need to do now is maintenance and bug fixes. The community spends their time making skins, whether it's free or getting some weird commission for it. The cost to duplicate that skin is zero loving dollars once the texture is made. It is literally copy/pasting from a programmatic standpoint.

How is this loving ridiculous at all?

It's not fun because I'm paying money for something that I was able to do in the past 100% free.

Why should I be paying another $10 when I already bought the game for $15? And why should I pay that when I've sunk money into the missions for $5 a pop? Again, I'm paying more money for something that used to be done for free.

Sure dawg, the big baby tactic. That's adult like.

Welp I'm done. I've explained my part, you guys shout back with "UGHHHHH PLIABLE U SO DUM U DON'T KNOW ECONOMY".

Food for thought: what if they implemented the ability for skins to drop and didn't create an economy around it. Just like it was back in CS <1.6 . Because the community created skins back then for free, just for the love of the game, and all I had to do was replace the texture in my cs directory. How about other games where community members create poo poo, just for the love of the game?

WAOW. WAOW!

I sincerely cannot believe that you guys keep thinking in such a loving dense manner. You're so loving fixated on this economic argument and it's so great for the whole community, when you are completely dismissing the possibility that if Valve didn't monetize it, it would have worked just as great and people would have more fun simply because they can get nice skins.

loving goons man, I swear to loving god. Groupthink to the loving max, you can't think for your loving selves.
same

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

pliable posted:

I get "friend of the family" a lot, especially if a person really is black. Just the other night some dude told a black dude to go pick cotton, then immediately called him a "friend of the family".

It's absolutely insane how many epithets are thrown around in the game

Tbh I agree with you too. At the end of the day you're ONE person, and you'd have to be some sort of idiot to think that one person getting some extra skins has any measurable effect on the economy. If Valve gave you more skin drops then literally everyone would be happy

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

So sorry

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 11, 2014

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

My bad

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

This is excellent news. I'm really looking forward to ditching Windows once CS:GO is on Linux and yes, that really is the only thing holding me back.

Same here. I honestly thought they forgot about the Linux port so I'm glad to see there is progress being made.

• Locked thread