Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, I just acquired an i7-2600k, and with it came a nifty Corsair watercooler. Is there any reason to NOT overclock it? About the only thing I'll be using it for other than normal gaming and whatnot is I'm going to be setting up a few VMs on the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there any reason to NOT overclock it?

no.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Fucknag posted:

-drat I didn't realize the cards were that old, but they were released in July 2008; that's barely newer than my old computer. Said computer has an ATI 5750, which is a slightly newer design I believe, but I think it's on its last legs; Diablo 3 was running it at 100% load and overheating it, so not really worth it to just swap that in. I guess I'll save my pennies and get that newer card when I can, then. Good to know it's not just me overlooking something blindingly obvious.
Those cards are rebrands of the earlier Geforce 8800GT released in 2007. A Radeon 5750 is a substantially newer and more powerful card from 2009, but still too old to have driver support. It shouldn't be overheating though so I'd double-check, they produced so little heat that they easily ran fanless.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Alereon posted:

Those cards are rebrands of the earlier Geforce 8800GT released in 2007. A Radeon 5750 is a substantially newer and more powerful card from 2009, but still too old to have driver support. It shouldn't be overheating though so I'd double-check, they produced so little heat that they easily ran fanless.

Yeah, my particular card did/does have a little built-in fan, but it was fine from when I installed it in 2010; the overheating is a recent thing. And I did indeed have driver issues, I couldn't play Minecraft past a certain version due to driver incompatibility.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Fucknag posted:

Yeah, my particular card did/does have a little built-in fan, but it was fine from when I installed it in 2010; the overheating is a recent thing. And I did indeed have driver issues, I couldn't play Minecraft past a certain version due to driver incompatibility.
If you clean the heatsink out with a canned air duster and install the latest Catalyst Legacy drivers it should work much better (assuming it isn't just dying).

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm just getting back into PC gaming after a long break. Is there anything that's worth upgrading on this system?

Thanks.

http://imgur.com/WXwNj4i

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Probably not, unless that DVD drive is still holding up (I'm assuming the power supply and hard drives are contemporary to the rest of the system) and with a 32-bit OS you can't even use it to download a worthwhile form of Windows if you buy a download version. (Windows Upgrade Assistants only give you a copy of the same architecture, so you'd need to go 64 to 64. Hopefully there is no 32-bit Windows 9.)

You can skate a little while on that processor - it was really drat good as far as they go - but the video card is so out of date AMD stopped supporting it and nothing in there is worth spending money on, and almost everything that can wear out should have a year ago. In the meantime, at least install Service Pack 2.

Whenever you're ready to buy, just put together something with parts from the OP lists in the build thread (you may want to run your shopping list by them first before you commit money to anything) and an OEM or (if qualified) student copy of 8.1 64-bit.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 11, 2014

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'll keep using what I have for a while, I think. It can still run most of the titles I missed over the past 3 years. Everything's in pretty good condition. It wasn't even plugged in while I was off doing things in places.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 11, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The Lord Bude posted:

9800gtxs are antique - they may not even be supported by current drivers.

A couple of seconds of research shows that they still are very much supported by the latest drivers.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, I just acquired an i7-2600k, and with it came a nifty Corsair watercooler. Is there any reason to NOT overclock it? About the only thing I'll be using it for other than normal gaming and whatnot is I'm going to be setting up a few VMs on the machine.

Sandy Bridge lives to be overclocked.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

HalloKitty posted:

A couple of seconds of research shows that they still are very much supported by the latest drivers.
Driver support for pre-DX11 cards ended in March, there have not been any new driver releases (for any cards) since the last major revision for legacy cards. Nothing past 340.* will support older cards.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Gothmog1065 posted:

I've run my 2600k with a Corsair H100 at 4.6 GHz rock solid stable for almost two years now. I suspect it could go to 4.8 or even 5.0 if I got better RAM and figured out which one of the chips on my mobo is the difficult bastard that runs at 63 C instead of 36-40 C like every other temp sensor.

Does anyone happen to know which sensor is where on an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Kvantum posted:

I've run my 2600k with a Corsair H100 at 4.6 GHz rock solid stable for almost two years now. I suspect it could go to 4.8 or even 5.0 if I got better RAM and figured out which one of the chips on my mobo is the difficult bastard that runs at 63 C instead of 36-40 C like every other temp sensor.

Are you sure you are seeing a real temperature? Essentially the only chip producing significant heat is the chipset and it wouldn't get that hot. I'm thinking you're seeing an uncalibrated CPU temperature reading or unconnected sensor port.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
A couple of weeks ago we were having trouble getting WebM videos to display pure white. They were displaying the white as a dingy gray, which of course didn't work when it was embedded in a webpage that had a FFFFFF background.

Upon doing multiple checks we discovered that any nVidia GeForce line of cards displayed it as dingy gray. But any nVidia Quadro or AMD Radeon cards displayed the white appropriately. Any idea what's going on there?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Kvantum posted:

Alereon's probably right on this. Try a different temperature monitoring program (ASUS' motherboard utility, HWiNFO, HWMonitor, etc) or just ignore the odd higher figure, especially if it's stuck at 63C without changing as that would indicate a bogus sensor readout. At most it's probably a VRM sensor in which case 63C would be completely fine.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

cisco privilege posted:

Alereon's probably right on this. Try a different temperature monitoring program (ASUS' motherboard utility, HWiNFO, HWMonitor, etc) or just ignore the odd higher figure, especially if it's stuck at 63C without changing as that would indicate a bogus sensor readout. At most it's probably a VRM sensor in which case 63C would be completely fine.

HW Monitor was the one giving me that 63C reading. :shrug:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

BonoMan posted:

A couple of weeks ago we were having trouble getting WebM videos to display pure white. They were displaying the white as a dingy gray, which of course didn't work when it was embedded in a webpage that had a FFFFFF background.

Upon doing multiple checks we discovered that any nVidia GeForce line of cards displayed it as dingy gray. But any nVidia Quadro or AMD Radeon cards displayed the white appropriately. Any idea what's going on there?
Sounds like a luminance (luma) range issue. TVs are limited to the center of the luma range (16-235 instead of 0-255), so the darkest possible shade is a dark gray and the brightest is a light gray, versus black and white as on a PC. I'm not sure why you'd only see this on WebM video though. I can test with some videos on my Geforce when I get home tonight.

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Volcott posted:

I'm just getting back into PC gaming after a long break. Is there anything that's worth upgrading on this system?

Thanks.

http://imgur.com/WXwNj4i

It would be worthwhile to reformat and install a 64-bit OS, just because with 2 512mb video cards installed you're losing a whole gigabyte of addressable RAM out of your 4gb. After you do that, maybe it would be worth adding some more DDR2 if you just have it lying around.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

I've thought about doing that. I'd need to make sure that there are 64 bit versions of the drivers for my video cards, and that crossfire would work properly using the new architecture.

A license for 7 Home Premium is all of 60bux, last time I checked.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Volcott posted:

I've thought about doing that. I'd need to make sure that there are 64 bit versions of the drivers for my video cards, and that crossfire would work properly using the new architecture.

A license for 7 Home Premium is all of 60bux, last time I checked.

One: you don't need to buy a separate license for 64 bit. Get a hold of the Vista 64 bit install media and you can install it with your current key.

Two: those cards of course have 64 bit drivers. And 64 bit cpus have no effect on Crossfire.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010
Any laptop repair guru's in here?

I've been trying to fix an overheating laptop. When I got to the GPU, I was a little puzzled to find the chip, except for the actual silicone, to be covered in some sort of 'film'.

lovely phone pic:
http://imgur.com/TRXKvgJ

You can kinda see that some of the old thermal paste has been squeezed in under the film, so I can't get to it. Is this gonna be a problem?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Looks like a custom cut piece of thermal tape. Probably there to direct the heat into the heatsink. The thermal paste should be fine as most of them should be non-conductive. Unless someone else worked on the laptop, it's probably been there since the laptop was put together initially, and I wouldn't worry about it.

justdan
Mar 31, 2010
Awesome, thanks!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

One: you don't need to buy a separate license for 64 bit. Get a hold of the Vista 64 bit install media and you can install it with your current key.

Two: those cards of course have 64 bit drivers. And 64 bit cpus have no effect on Crossfire.

Sounds like a plan, then. Thank you.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Whoops.

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 12, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
:siren:The PC Building, Upgrading, and Parts Picking Megathread is here:siren:

And I updated the link in the OP to point to the new thread :shobon:

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
Is there an issue with Windows 8 and analog dpads/point of view hat? My 360 controllers' dpads worked fine on Windows 7 and aren't recognized in 8.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
Quick question about raid. I have an Asrock Z97 Extreme3 motherboard and have my os (win7x64 home) on a Samsung EVO 250gb ssd. I have 2 3tb drives I'd like to put in a raid 1 so I don't have to worry about losing data. Is this possible? I believe the mobo only has one sata controller. I can easily upgrade to win7 pro through work and could mirror the drives via Windows if I have to. I'm just looking for the best option.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Looking for a new HDD in the 3tb range.

Will be used for general use with files and large game installs along side my SSD.

Looking at these two

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3tb-hgst-0s03661-deskstar-nas-24x7-use-35-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-64mb-cache-8ms-ncq

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3tb-wd-red-wd30efrx-sata-6gb-sec-64mb-cache-intellipower-8ms-ncq-oem-24x7-with-nasware-30

I'm guessing the HGST would be better for general use since its 7200RPM so I could run games of it grand?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Aragosta posted:

Quick question about raid. I have an Asrock Z97 Extreme3 motherboard and have my os (win7x64 home) on a Samsung EVO 250gb ssd. I have 2 3tb drives I'd like to put in a raid 1 so I don't have to worry about losing data. Is this possible? I believe the mobo only has one sata controller. I can easily upgrade to win7 pro through work and could mirror the drives via Windows if I have to. I'm just looking for the best option.

The first link on google for Asrock Z97 Extreme3 is the link to the manufacturer's page about that particular motherboard. There, you can find that it supports RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10 with the six on-board SATA channels.

So you can mirror your two 3tb drives with your current setup, yes.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

gilljoy posted:

Looking for a new HDD in the 3tb range.

Will be used for general use with files and large game installs along side my SSD.

Looking at these two

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3tb-hgst-0s03661-deskstar-nas-24x7-use-35-hdd-sata-iii-6gb-s-7200rpm-64mb-cache-8ms-ncq

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3tb-wd-red-wd30efrx-sata-6gb-sec-64mb-cache-intellipower-8ms-ncq-oem-24x7-with-nasware-30

I'm guessing the HGST would be better for general use since its 7200RPM so I could run games of it grand?
Like it says three posts up from yours and in the OP, this is the wrong thread. You want the Parts Picking Megathread.

:siren:There's a new thread now, and it's here!:siren:

We had a drat good run with this one but I think it's time.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

RIP very old thread.

I have posts in this thread from 8 years ago. :shobon:

• Locked thread