Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

So I picked up the Logitech wave wireless keyboard (part of the MK550 combo. While I'm not using the mouse it was on sale for the same price as the keyboard itself). I prefer the wave style keyboard to a regular keyboard, hence the purchase, but I'm really annoyed by the function key. I'd much rather re-bind it to be a windows/start key, so I can use Windows 7's windows-right-arrow snap stuff. Is there any way to do that? Logitech told me to install SetPoint and then go gently caress myself because it's not on the list of keys that can easily be rebound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Aphrodite posted:

And apparently Corsair is the only manufacturer that will be getting those because they say they co-developed it or something.

At CES a Cherry representative said that it was a timed deal, but wouldn't elaborate beyond that.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Got the KBC Poker II MX Clears in. There are quite a few reports on Massdrop of people getting shipping the wrong item, or defects with LEDs and the like, but mine seems fine except for a couple of keycaps that fell off during transit.

Getting used to a 60% layout though, is going to take a while. Fn + WASD for arrow keys still takes me like 2 seconds of thinking to do.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Winks posted:

At CES a Cherry representative said that it was a timed deal, but wouldn't elaborate beyond that.

Right when the keyboard was first announced it was also announced that the new switches are Corsair exclusive for 2014 only. So next year other manufacturers will get their hands on them. Corsair really wasted a lot of their exclusivity by taking so long to sell the drat things.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So after looking over countless reviews, I think I'm gonna end up getting a KUL ES-87 at the end of the month. It has a good build quality, has MX Browns, no backlighting, no squeaking, TKL, and a non removable cord.
Is there anything I should know before I pull the trigger on this?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

pienipple posted:

Supposedly there's more gold on the contacts to make them last longer than their Cherry counterparts.

Is the lifespan of a Cherry switch actually something to be concerned about? I've got lovely rubber-dome keyboards that are still functional, maybe a little soft around the WASD area but otherwise fine despite years of use.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

isndl posted:

Is the lifespan of a Cherry switch actually something to be concerned about? I've got lovely rubber-dome keyboards that are still functional, maybe a little soft around the WASD area but otherwise fine despite years of use.

No, the stems can get a bit worn and lose tactility but I have a WYSE terminal keyboard with cherry blacks that seems to have been used regularly since it was produced in 1984 and the switches are fine. I'm not sure the paint store employees really did a lot of hardcore typing on it but it was certainly used in their store to look things up or do sales or whatever. I have another cherry point of sale keyboard with browns where the bump is a lot less prominent on the sliders but otherwise it works perfectly. Like any moving parts they will wear over time with use but I doubt the contacts will give out before the plastic stems or keycaps.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Finally got a hold of a CM Storm Quickfire TK with Cherry MX Brown switches. Put it through some paces for the last few hours and I'm very happy with it. Coming from the last 7 years on a Logitech G15 too. :stare:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

isndl posted:

No. It's just a number they can inflate for marketing purposes.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I know it may not be in the best taste, but I wanted to point out my thread over in SA-Mart if anyone's still looking for a Granite keycap set (http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/granite-set-pbt-dye-sub-dsa/). I was able to get in on the original Pimp My Keyboard groupbuy and got a huge icon set, but issues came up and money is worth more than PBT for now. There's also a Quickfire XT if anyone's interested in a full-size keyboard with Cherry MX Greens.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
e: Nevermind I am blind and couldn't find the right thread.

Pinback fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 11, 2014

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

There actually is a mouse thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3222963

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Wow I totally scrolled right past it. My bad. Thanks!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I've had the K70 RGB for half a day now and I have to say, the red switches are perfect for me. It's a world of difference moving up from my lovely Logitec membrane keyboard, and the colour options are baller as gently caress. :rory:

(forgive lovely cell phone picture)

There is no USB passthrough on these, unlike the standard K70s. It doesn't destroy my way of life, but I'm going to miss it. I love this thing though and it feels like the board itself will last forever, the LEDs will prove themselves with time. I would like it if the light management software came with some effects preloaded, but you can already find some good ones and import them so it's all good.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
How is the Logitech G710+? I'm coming from a G15 and want to keep the macros, backlight, and keypad (need this for work). I do a lot of typing for my job and it sounds like the MX Browns, which the G710+ comes with, is good for this. I do way more typing than gaming at this point but still need to play my shooty games. Any other keyboards I should look at that would fit the bill?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

It doesn't destroy my way of life, but I'm going to miss it.

It is ruining mine. One of my monitors has 2 ports but is too close to another to fit anything there, so its hub is useless. The other one is full.

I had to use one of my front panel USB connectors for my mouse's receiver, like some kind of animal. What if I need to simultaneously plug in 4 devices now?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Cactus Jack posted:

How is the Logitech G710+? I'm coming from a G15 and want to keep the macros, backlight, and keypad (need this for work). I do a lot of typing for my job and it sounds like the MX Browns, which the G710+ comes with, is good for this. I do way more typing than gaming at this point but still need to play my shooty games. Any other keyboards I should look at that would fit the bill?

I'm liking the G710+. It took me about a week to get used to having those macro buttons on the left, for some reason it was throwing off my muscle memory. But its really nice to type on now that I'm used to it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
For those looking for a CODE Massdrop is going to be doing another buy. I'm pretty tempted to get another one, but I like have the USB hub on my Das at home. I tend to transfer data from scientific instruments that way.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

USB passthrough means that both devices need to either draw 500mA or provide their own power. It's an uncommon feature on keyboards that need more power themselves for things like backlighting.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
more keyboards really need to have USB 3.0 connections. They certainly don't need the speed but the extra power would be a big help.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I'm a little surprised at how many people really care about have USB passthrough, honestly. Getting a (powered) USB hub (if your monitor doesn't have one) is a much better all-around solution IMO.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rexxed posted:

USB passthrough means that both devices need to either draw 500mA or provide their own power. It's an uncommon feature on keyboards that need more power themselves for things like backlighting.

Yeah, it's just that the old K70 had it. Presumably the RGB needs more power so it was dropped.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there a working Amazon link for the K70 RGB? The link from Corsair's site gives a 404.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
^^^^^^^^^^
e: I read on the Corsair forums that Amazon pulled their listings because of a hardware revision that's coming out. Allegedly it's a small change in the Corsair logo, and they're swapping the USB plug with the "passthrough" symbol for a blank one or one with a keyboard on it too.

The K70 RGB needs two USB plugs to power it. I guess they didn't want to have a third plug on there just for a passthrough. I need a powered hub anyway, there's a lot of poo poo I only need sometimes but it's a pain in the rear end to crawl under my desk, and I don't have enough power to keep them all plugged in at once.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

cobalt impurity posted:

^^^^^^^^^^
e: I read on the Corsair forums that Amazon pulled their listings because of a hardware revision that's coming out. Allegedly it's a small change in the Corsair logo, and they're swapping the USB plug with the "passthrough" symbol for a blank one or one with a keyboard on it too.

The K70 RGB needs two USB plugs to power it. I guess they didn't want to have a third plug on there just for a passthrough. I need a powered hub anyway, there's a lot of poo poo I only need sometimes but it's a pain in the rear end to crawl under my desk, and I don't have enough power to keep them all plugged in at once.

Ugh, dammit, but I want this keyboard tomorrow.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I didn't know usb pass-through was an issue with people, but I guess I have 6 ports in the back and four in the front not counting my 3.0 ports.

Otherwise switching to the k70 RGB is amazing, I think I may buy a mechanical to use at work now. How annoying would Cherry Blue be to people around me?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

An admittedly unexciting work around to having more USB ports on the desk is USB male A to female A style extension cords:
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030304

I have a couple of these and they're nice for some situations (for me it's mostly if I need to use the blue cube USB adapter with an IBM Model M on a machine that's only got a couple of USB ports and no PS/2 although that's a very specific issue).

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
Does anyone have any opinions on Topre boards vs Cherry Browns? I've tried Reds and Clears but they weren't doing it for me. The Reds were mushy and the clears are too stiff. I have a Ducky with Blues right now but I'm bottoming out the keys and it's kinda loud in the office.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

^^^^^^^^^^

A Corsair rep denied it, Amazon is just sold out.

AlternateAccount posted:

Ugh, dammit, but I want this keyboard tomorrow.

Newegg has stock.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Brock Landers posted:

Does anyone have any opinions on Topre boards vs Cherry Browns? I've tried Reds and Clears but they weren't doing it for me. The Reds were mushy and the clears are too stiff. I have a Ducky with Blues right now but I'm bottoming out the keys and it's kinda loud in the office.

Topres really feel like a nice rubber dome keyboard forever, but they don't require you to bottom out, feel more precise than any rubber dome will, and they're much quieter than any mechanical.

I love my Topre boards. Fwiw my gf prefers her mechanical board but types constantly faster on Topre.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Cactus Jack posted:

I got one a few weeks back and it works great, no real complaints after the initial adjustment period. Keep in mind that it does come with o-rings already installed, which does change the feel of it slightly if you've been playing with other keyboards to get an idea about the switches.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

calandryll posted:

For those looking for a CODE Massdrop is going to be doing another buy. I'm pretty tempted to get another one, but I like have the USB hub on my Das at home. I tend to transfer data from scientific instruments that way.

Aaaarrrgggh why is there no TKL option? drat you Massdrop.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Brock Landers posted:

Just switched from Browns to Topre 55g. My initial impressions are they're great for typing, not so much for gaming. My Ducky Shine 3 with Browns is for sale, also.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Diddie posted:

Just switched from Browns to Topre 55g. My initial impressions are they're great for typing, not so much for gaming. My Ducky Shine 3 with Browns is for sale, also.

I'd be using it for typing only. I'd be curious to hear your impressions after a weeks worth of usage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The lighting options on the K70 RGB are pretty silly.

I made an EKG, a scanning Cylon/Knight Rider light, and the James Bond gunshot intro.

And when I press a key, Captain America's shield appears.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Brock Landers posted:

I'd be using it for typing only. I'd be curious to hear your impressions after a weeks worth of usage.

So far the only thing I'm having trouble with is spamming buttons. Not a big deal as there really aren't any games where I have to do that. I do wish I had some 45g to compare with.

Aphrodite posted:

I made an EKG, a scanning Cylon/Knight Rider light, and the James Bond gunshot intro.

That sounds pretty awesome.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Brock Landers posted:

I have a Kinesis Advantage with browns and some Topres. Used all of them for a considerable amount of time.

I think browns are (subjectively) horrible and Topres are great. After fully acclimating to the Kinesis and then some, I figured out how to not have wrist problems any more and went back to a Realforce.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Diddie posted:

So far the only thing I'm having trouble with is spamming buttons. Not a big deal as there really aren't any games where I have to do that. I do wish I had some 45g to compare with.

That sounds pretty awesome.

Yeah they're not really great for spamming buttons because they don't really pop up at the same point that they "snap" down, so there's a bit of a delay, but unless you're a hardcore RTS player, I can't think of a situation where that's a problem.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Aphrodite posted:

HEY I am trying to be happy with my half lit silver K70 what is with people trying to make me buy this thing, ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
At long last I have my Poker II with clears from massdrop, so here's a few thoughts after a day of use!

So far it feels really good to type on. Build quality seems high, no problems with keys or dead LEDs. Pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of additional coloured modifier keys. It's super small and I like it a lot.

Downsides are it uses a mini-usb cable for some reason, and I'm not sure how I feel about the looks of the backlighting when it's on. And I'll probably buy a replacement spacebar because I don't like the "Enjoy your feeling" message :v:

Overall the downsides are pretty minor, A+ would buy again.

• Locked thread