Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I picked up The Warriors for 3 bucks, I had heard it was a pretty good brawler and yeah...it was. But there have been so many advancements in controls and camera stuff for 3d action games in general, it's really hard to play such a game from this vintage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I picked up The Warriors for 3 bucks, I had heard it was a pretty good brawler and yeah...it was. But there have been so many advancements in controls and camera stuff for 3d action games in general, it's really hard to play such a game from this vintage.

I believe the goal is to unlock multiplayer roof-top rumble and then just constantly hurl your entire body at the opposing team to knock them off the roof. Beers are involved too.

I played through it again semi-recently and either you can adjust the controls or you get used to them after a bit.

Fake edit: NO! I remember now! The goal is to steal Cowboy's hat and wear his loving hat as much as possible.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I posted 2 pages back about playing through mass effect again, and I want to give anyone else considering it some advice: do not skip the loving citadel side quests. I jumped straight into the story missions and now I'm trying to fight the boss at the end of therum at level 6. I died 5 times, switched the difficulty to casual and im about to try again with my 4th attempt on casual. I just checked a guide and it suggested being level 20 for this bit...

its supposedly a non linear game but you're hosed if you try to skip any. I played on normal first time round and died maybe twice. Now I'm getting killed in one shot by everything :(
even on casual the geth armature one shots me from full health. I just beat it but Jesus. I'm going back to the citadel to do 4 hours of fetch quests so I can get some non violent leveling done.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 7, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Accordion Man posted:

Yo, there's a Rockstar sale going on and I'm picking up The Warriors, but is Manhunt overall good? I hear the atmosphere is great but is the gameplay really clunky?

Pretty much. It's a damned freaky and brutal stealth game, very satisfying to play, but yeah, it does play like something from two generations ago. It's damned good.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yo not sure where else to put this but at the end of last year sent my friend my ps3 as I didn't need it anymore and felt "why the hell not"

Sadly months later it broke down and had to be repaired so we took care of that and the fees for it, few months later was talking to him and now this is happening (In his words)

"started heading over the network options menu and the screen glitched and froze, could still hear the menu sounds if I moved around though

Started it back up, glitched and froze before it could reach the user login screen

tried it again and tv says No Signal, controller looks like its not syncing up either

lights still green, still accepts and ejects discs but thats about all it does

booting it into that safe mode menu or whatever does nothing, either"

Is he going to have to send it in less than a year later? If so anyone know if it's gonna be another charge?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
that poo poo's fried, yo. don't even know why you're asking.

unless he got a new warranty with it's last repairs, yeah he's probably got to pay.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Thanks to everyone that replied to me about SMT/Persona . I think I'll begin with PSP one!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cthulhuchan posted:

that poo poo's fried, yo. don't even know why you're asking.

unless he got a new warranty with it's last repairs, yeah he's probably got to pay.

Yeah figured, the repair was a few months ago so just hit with disbelief that it already exploded again and was hoping it somehow wasn't a complete dud.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah figured, the repair was a few months ago so just hit with disbelief that it already exploded again and was hoping it somehow wasn't a complete dud.

I've heard from several people (and in my own personal experience, though I could have just done a bad job) that fat PS3 YLOD repairs (assuming that's what this is) tend not to last very long. The advice after a repair is to immediately do a backup of the stuff you want to keep, since you can expect it to break again within a year or so. Luckily, Slims and Super Slims are much more reliable. Apologies if this isn't the situation and I'm barking up the wrong tree here.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, my old fat PS3 started dying almost exactly a year after I sent it in for YLOD repair. It still works but I just closeted the drat thing and got a Slim.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Woops, wrong thread!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Cable posted:

Thanks to everyone that replied to me about SMT/Persona . I think I'll begin with PSP one!

I've been playing P4 and there's TOO MANY GOD DAMNED POKEMON TO CATCH

Really wish there was a way to check fusion possibilities through the compendium. It sucks having to spend so much money just to summon the personae and then spend an hour comparing the different fusions. I haven't been able to find a chart or guide that applies to PS3, since I heard that fusion works differently in the PS3 version for some reason.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

titties posted:

I've been playing P4 and there's TOO MANY GOD DAMNED POKEMON TO CATCH

Really wish there was a way to check fusion possibilities through the compendium. It sucks having to spend so much money just to summon the personae and then spend an hour comparing the different fusions. I haven't been able to find a chart or guide that applies to PS3, since I heard that fusion works differently in the PS3 version for some reason.

Fusion works differently on PS3 versions of the game? Huh, that's not something I'd heard. Do you know how, exactly? Still, I'm in the EU (so it's not on the store) and already have the game on Vita, so it's not like it affects me. By the way, being able to check fusion possibilities is one of the nice additions in P4G!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Talking about pokemon systems, trying to catch familiars for that scientist guy (and in general) in ni no kuni sucks. Also they should have made your party members visible in town.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Don't catch them all. Only catch the cool ones.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

like that loving pirate cat!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
So I bought the MGS HD collection. Playing MGS2, first time playing a metal gear game not counting the MGS4 demo. Weird thing is, there is no pause menu, or well, you can pause the game but there is just a text message saying what the chapter is called. Nothing else. No reload from last save or anything. Is it supposed to be like that? No way to view controls either.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 10, 2014

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

smenj posted:

Fusion works differently on PS3 versions of the game? Huh, that's not something I'd heard. Do you know how, exactly?

No idea, I don't even know for sure if it's true. I was trying to get a certain persona through fusion, and when I looked up guides I found a couple of forum posts that basically said "all of this is a waste of time since the fusion system works differently for PS3".

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

titties posted:

No idea, I don't even know for sure if it's true. I was trying to get a certain persona through fusion, and when I looked up guides I found a couple of forum posts that basically said "all of this is a waste of time since the fusion system works differently for PS3".

Were they guides for Persona 4 Golden on Vita or for Persona 4 on PS2?

Or maybe they were using PS3 as shorthand for Persona 3?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Torabi posted:

So I bought the MGS HD collection. Playing MGS2, first time playing a metal gear game not counting the MGS4 demo. Weird thing is, there is no pause menu, or well, you can pause the game but there is just a text message saying what the chapter is called. Nothing else. No reload from last save or anything. Is it supposed to be like that? No way to view controls either.

IIRC, you can load the last save by calling Rose and yeah, the pause menu was just an overview of the Big Shell highlighting the strut you're in.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Cable posted:

IIRC, you can load the last save by calling Rose and yeah, the pause menu was just an overview of the Big Shell highlighting the strut you're in.

Pretty sure you can only load saves from the main menu, unless they took that out for MGS3. Calling Otacon/Rose just allows you to save. All the controls and stuff are in the manual... which on the HD collection I think are accessible from the screen you select your game from. Not the most convenient, for sure.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Blind Sally posted:

Don't catch them all. Only catch the cool ones.

This is the #1 advice you can give for people playing SMT/Persona. You still want your party composition to have some specific balance regarding the roles they fill, but given how open-ended fusion allows skill sets to be, this can be accomplished fairly easily while focusing on which monsters you want to carry around in particular.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I just started uncharted 2. nate refuses to bring guns to the heist, must then be assured the guns the guy secretly brought are tranq guns "to keep his conscience clear" (maybe he found jesus after killing 5000 people in the first game) but then like 2 minutes later the game has me pulling a guard off the roof to his death. talk about mixed messages.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

I just started uncharted 2. nate refuses to bring guns to the heist, must then be assured the guns the guy secretly brought are tranq guns "to keep his conscience clear" (maybe he found jesus after killing 5000 people in the first game) but then like 2 minutes later the game has me pulling a guard off the roof to his death. talk about mixed messages.

If you look closely, you can see the guard swimming away.

I think in general it's more about the fact that the guards are just regular Joes just doing their job as opposed to murderous criminal thugs. Nate's still a monster (as will be brought up later in the game) but he has his moral code that makes him feel better.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm replaying the first Uncharted (which still looks pretty great) and it's kind of amazing how flippant he is in the cutscenes between murdering so, so many random thugs. Even after he thinks Sully was killed early on in the game, he's cracking wise like 30 seconds later and never talks about the death of his close confidante at all.

I didn't really notice it on my first playthrough but the disconnect is really obvious going back to the game.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

titties posted:

I've used this one and it works for the most part. Only 2-monster fusion though.
http://apps.evilrobotstuff.com/persona4/fusion.php

Edit: Also maybe this one?
http://www.supercheats.com/playstation2/walkthroughs/persona4-walkthrough03.txt

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So I just started playing Watch Dogs and discovered that this game, in TYOOL 2014, put the aiming/shooting on L2/R2 with no way to change it to L1/R1. How could they not know that that's a terrible control scheme?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

...! posted:

So I just started playing Watch Dogs and discovered that this game, in TYOOL 2014, put the aiming/shooting on L2/R2 with no way to change it to L1/R1. How could they not know that that's a terrible control scheme?

I always preferred having aim and shoot on the L1 and R1 buttons as well, at least when using the PS3's controller. Even with the little plastic trigger extenders I still found it more comfortable and accurate to use the shoulder buttons.

On the PS4 it was easy to adjust to using the triggers, since they're where your fingers naturally rest, and games like Ground Zeroes forced you to use them. It should still be an option in games, especially ones which still have PS3 versions.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

el oso posted:

I'm replaying the first Uncharted (which still looks pretty great) and it's kind of amazing how flippant he is in the cutscenes between murdering so, so many random thugs. Even after he thinks Sully was killed early on in the game, he's cracking wise like 30 seconds later and never talks about the death of his close confidante at all.

I didn't really notice it on my first playthrough but the disconnect is really obvious going back to the game.

I'm under the firm belief Sully was retconned into a close friend--mentor. The dialog just isn't as smooth as long time friends go, when compared to other Uncharted games. I assume it was due to the risk of being a new IP and who knew how well it or Nolan North would take off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

...! posted:

Because it's a multi-console release and that's been the standard for Xbox games due to the controller having full-blown triggers in those positions.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Comic posted:

Pretty sure you can only load saves from the main menu, unless they took that out for MGS3. Calling Otacon/Rose just allows you to save. All the controls and stuff are in the manual... which on the HD collection I think are accessible from the screen you select your game from. Not the most convenient, for sure.

I bought it digitally from PSN due to there being a big sale. The games are downloaded individually so there is no main menu for the collection.

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Torabi posted:

I bought it digitally from PSN due to there being a big sale. The games are downloaded individually so there is no main menu for the collection.

You get a main menu when you load up MGS2, there you can load your save (and access some other stuff). IIRC the only way to access that is to quit out of the game.

Comic might be mixing it up with MGS3 HD which allows you to access Metal Gear 1+2 (the original MSX games) from its main menu

edit: manuals can also be found here: https://uk.secure.konami-europe.com/ics/support/DLList.asp?task=download&folderID=1233

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

If i remember correctly MGS2 and 3 have a sort of quick-save function every time you enter an area. So if you gently caress up, get yourself killed, choose continue and start at the beginnning of the room with the same status and equipment again. There really is no need for a load option on those games.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Isn't it possible to soft-reset one of the MGS games by pressing like, L1+R1+L2+R2+Select+Start? I swear I've done that with MGS2 on the PS2 before. Otherwise I think restarting the whole game is the only way.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Hey, so the Tekken guy Harada is saying that he wants to do a Xenosaga HD Collection but he can't right now because Bamco doesn't know if it'd be a sound business idea. So he wants you to show your support in hopes that the outcry will be enough to convince Bamco, which is what happened with Project X Zone for the 3DS.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Policenaut posted:

Hey, so the Tekken guy Harada is saying that he wants to do a Xenosaga HD Collection but he can't right now because Bamco doesn't know if it'd be a sound business idea. So he wants you to show your support in hopes that the outcry will be enough to convince Bamco, which is what happened with Project X Zone for the 3DS.

Ehhhhh. Not really sure we WANT a Xenosaga HD collection.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Can I support them never doing this ever?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

But HD Colllections are the new thing

If Kojima puts out another collection it would have to be for PS4/Xbone/PC right?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Damnit Kojima, again? At least this time around add The Twin Snakes (but keep the original as well) and Rising in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They probably can't add The Twin Snakes because of Nintendo.

• Locked thread