Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

It likely took the combination of what happened to Guererro and Benoit to finally bring the WWE around on not letting your employees work themselves beyond human limits, but it does seem to have stuck.

The exception seems to be Cena, but that might be a loophole, due to him being a robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Arn is someone else you don't hear many bad things about to my knowledge, supposedly in WCW he was one of the only people who was willing to teach the young guys anything instead of telling them to gently caress off and desperately clinging to their spot like it's 1980. Also famous for passing out drunk without even spilling his beer.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Justin Godscock posted:

Angle to me comes off as a really dark and twisted take on the whole "man up, work through the pain and get out there!" attitude in sports. The guy did all that and now he is a deranged drug fiend who worked to the point of self-destruction.

You mean like winning an Olympic gold medal with a broken (freakin') neck? Yeah, Kurt's not only insane now, he's been insane for a long time.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Halloween Jack posted:

Sid is the very definition of a galoot.

I think that came up in the Carnies, Racists and Perverts thread after the story about Sid getting made up for Fangoria, then headbutting a woman and running away screaming because he was worried about his favorite shirt being ripped.

:allears:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When Kurt comes back to WWE they should introduce him as TNA Hall of Famer Kurt Angle.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I remember liking the Powers of Pain back in the day, but I can't remember in hindsight: Were Warlord and Barbarian good workers or just big dudes?

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

sticklefifer posted:

I remember liking the Powers of Pain back in the day, but I can't remember in hindsight: Were Warlord and Barbarian good workers or just big dudes?

I always compared them to Haku: they were big guys who were just there, nothing more. In fairness though, Warlord and Barbarian looked way better than Haku ever did.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Swan Curry posted:

I've been reading a bit about Kurt Angle's move to TNA in 2006 and I get the impression everyone thought he was wrestling on borrowed time due to his neck injury.How is he still wrestling eight years later?Did he miraculously recover?Is he on a shitton of drugs?

Two things that Kurt Angle actually said:

TNA saved my life.

Impact will be the most watched show on television - it just needs time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DrVenkman posted:

TNA saved my life.

I believe in an interview in 2007 he claimed they were doing better ratings than Smackdown.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

DrVenkman posted:

TNA saved my life.

My absolute favourite Kurt Angle insanity is that he said that Vince McMahon sends him flowers every week asking him to come back

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

triplexpac posted:

My absolute favourite Kurt Angle insanity is that he said that Vince McMahon sends him flowers every week asking him to come back

I liked his stuff about being in talks with Dana to step into the octagon

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Random thought: do other countries have anything like the evil foreigner gimmick for American wrestlers? Like in Japan are wrestlers made to never speak Japanese and be stereotypes?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Spikeguy posted:

Random thought: do other countries have anything like the evil foreigner gimmick for American wrestlers? Like in Japan are wrestlers made to never speak Japanese and be stereotypes?
Japan is probably the worst example, they've always had Gaijin gimmicks. Right now Bullet Club is the big heel faction, made of foreigners. Karl Anderson's theme talks about Big Macs so that's about as stereotype as it gets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-vLcF0C-Bc

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

The Bullet Club's entire gimmick is basically a protestation of how gaijin are always treated as devils in Japan. During the 70's and 80's it was extremely common for gaijin to be heel by default. Unless you were one of the Funk Brothers.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

So basically, they're heels for pointing out that the audience is racist.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Spikeguy posted:

Western wrestlers have been heeling it up in Japan ever since Rikidozan's day. Although, for the US and Japan to be equal in this regard, they would have to dress Stan Hansen up as a monster and call him Shogun McDonald's.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Defiance Industries posted:

Nah, they interfere in each other's matches all the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRClRfv4HE

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Well, that and cheating relentlessly.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Devitt's Bullet Club was "evil angry gaijin", now they're basically just NWO 2014. But yeah, evil foreigner gimmicks have been ubiquitous in wrestling worldwide. Japanese wrestling from the beginning was heavy on guys like Rikidozan and Baba facing a foreign heel.

Almost every NJPW guy in CMLL has been a rudo, even guys like Tana and Liger. Eddy Guerrero had an American heel gimmick in AAA as opposed to his Mexican heel gimmick in WCW.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Devitt's Bullet Club was "evil angry gaijin", now they're basically just NWO 2014. But yeah, evil foreigner gimmicks have been ubiquitous in wrestling worldwide. Japanese wrestling from the beginning was heavy on guys like Rikidozan and Baba facing a foreign heel.

Almost every NJPW guy in CMLL has been a rudo, even guys like Tana and Liger. Eddy Guerrero had an American heel gimmick in AAA as opposed to his Mexican heel gimmick in WCW.

Eddy and Art Barr would taunt Mexican fans by making the motion for backstroking, just to really drive home the point. Also, back in the 60's to get heat, there was a team of guys named Black Gordman and Great Goliath who would insists on being announced as being from NEW Mexico, not Mexico, as a way of getting heat. People loving hated them, in part because the audience knew both guys were from Mexico.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Halloween Jack posted:

... dress Stan Hansen up as a monster and call him Shogun McDonald's.

That just gives me an idea for GOON Championship Wrestling.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Flameingblack posted:

Nah, they interfere in each other's matches all the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRClRfv4HE

DX did that all the time and they were faces

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

DX did that all the time and they were faces

The difference is that it was usually in response to the Nation cheating or something like that. The Bullet Club cheat because they can.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The difference is that it was usually in response to the Nation cheating or something like that. The Bullet Club cheat because they can.

Plus interfering in matches in puro is instant NUCLEAR heat.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Plus interfering in matches in puro is instant NUCLEAR heat.

Yeah, the mayor of Fukuoka was on hand for the ceremony when AJ Styles won the belt from Okada, and he was legit pissed the belt changed hands on a dirty win.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Speaking of Rikidozan:

Was his Korean roots known to Japanese fans at the time, or was that kept hidden?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Thauros posted:

Speaking of Rikidozan:

Was his Korean roots known to Japanese fans at the time, or was that kept hidden?
If it was public, he'd have been lynched. The Japanese and Koreans loving hated each other after WWII, and you'd be shocked at the degree of bad blood that still exists.

(I recently read a post in D&D from a traveler to Korea, about a group of Korean schoolchildren who were gleefully tallying the death toll of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake that hit Japan.)

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

These gaijin heels seem to just be heels though. Not heels specifically for being American. Like they're not going around waving the US flag and screaming how much Japan sucks in English. Have any done that specifically, like a counterpoint to the Iron Sheik?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

If it was public, he'd have been lynched. The Japanese and Koreans loving hated each other after WWII, and you'd be shocked at the degree of bad blood that still exists.

(I recently read a post in D&D from a traveler to Korea, about a group of Korean schoolchildren who were gleefully tallying the death toll of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake that hit Japan.)

Oh, I'm well aware the level of bad blood that still exists today (comments from LDP and JRP pols in Japan, a ROK panel this decade that confiscated property from the decendants of collaborators), which is why it always surprised me that the first big Japanese pro wrestling hero was ethnically Korean.

Spikeguy posted:

These gaijin heels seem to just be heels though. Not heels specifically for being American. Like they're not going around waving the US flag and screaming how much Japan sucks in English. Have any done that specifically, like a counterpoint to the Iron Sheik?

Eddy Guerrero's aformentioned AAA gimmick came close. He wore American flag tights and definitely played on US/Mexico relations for heat.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 11, 2014

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Thauros posted:

Speaking of Rikidozan:

It's rumored to have made him stop his sumo career, but nobody knew that he was a Korean while wrestling until after his death. The only people that hate him nowadays are the small right-wing crowd, while the rest of Japan acknowledge him as a legend regardless of his ethnicity.

This discussion of "evil gaijins" reminds me of when Kenny Omega was wrestling that little girl. He set the gimmick to full blast and it was hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQdYZvCNn-M

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Aku posted:

This discussion of "evil gaijins" reminds me of when Kenny Omega was wrestling that little girl. He set the gimmick to full blast and it was hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQdYZvCNn-M
Haruka could teach Goldberg how to time his kicks.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Kenny Omega may be my spirit animal. Has he never been offered a WWE contract or does he prefer to wrestle in Japan?

Edit: Also, are there any Japanese born wrestlers that wrestle exclusively over there who are not of Japanese descent?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Spikeguy posted:

Kenny Omega may be my spirit animal. Has he never been offered a WWE contract or does he prefer to wrestle in Japan?

Edit: Also, are there any Japanese born wrestlers that wrestle exclusively over there who are not of Japanese descent?

He had a WWE developmental deal and asked for his release while in Deep South Wrestling.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

oatgan posted:

I liked his stuff about being in talks with Dana to step into the octagon

Kurt lied about this a lot but it was actually true at one point; Dana confirmed he offered Kurt a spot on the 10th season of The Ultimate Fighter (read as: the huge heavyweight season with Kimbo Slice) contingent on Kurt passing preliminary medicals.

He failed them dramatically. (Angle, of course, insists he passed but it just didn't work out.)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Spikeguy posted:

Rob Conway would come to the ring in US flag gear when the NWA was in NJPW recently. Pretty sure him and Tharpe would talk about how USA rules and Japan sucks.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

AAAALIEEENN ALIENNN ALIIIIEEENNNN

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Spikeguy posted:

Also, are there any Japanese born wrestlers that wrestle exclusively over there who are not of Japanese descent?

Exclusively? Hard to say since a lot of them have worked overseas in some aspect, but Akira Maeda and Koji Kanemoto, both Japanese-born Koreans, are the biggest examples I can think up.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Spikeguy posted:

Aku posted:

Exclusively? Hard to say since a lot of them have worked overseas in some aspect, but Akira Maeda and Koji Kanemoto, both Japanese-born Koreans, are the biggest examples I can think up.

Riki Choshu did some US tours but is Japanese-born Korean but being a Japanese wrestler and not working internationally is extraordinarily rare due to the puroresu system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Might have been asked already but I'm catching up with a billion pages ahead of me in this thread - How is the signing of many of the main event stars of the indie scene to WWE contracts affecting these promotions?

I can't imagine losing guys like Generico, Steen, Devitt and so on is making a positive impact in many of these feds that relied on their names to bring people in. Or is it a situation where every time a bigger guy gets signed to WWE developmental another indie guy rises to take his place and becomes a draw? Admittedly I don't watch wrestling outside of current WWE and past WCW (trying to get into NJPW here and there) but it seems like the independent scene would have to be lacking 'star power' with all of their talent being scooped up by WWE.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 11, 2014