Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

So my cam finally came in. No instructions, which I guess should be expected. What have I gotten myself into?
"Dash cam that will totally work, honest"

The ridged part looks like it unscrews, but doesn't. There's also a button on the top of the round part that looks like O||, which I assume means "record and/or pause". I thought that's what the orange one was for?

It came with a 6-prong cable that plugs into the cam, leading to a yellow component cable and three loose wires (yellow, red, black) that I assume are for wiring into the fuse box. What the hell is the component cable for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
How the gently caress can they have the gall to prosecute the driver of the Clio? That guy made a dangerous pass at high speed and neither he or the Clio driver had time to see each other. Darwin award winner all around.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

anonumos posted:

I dunno, I'm still firmly in the camp of "biker should have slowed down". You just can't expect a car driver to predict a collision with a speeding anything. I'm shocked that they prosecuted. Shocked.

edit: basically, '7 seconds my rear end!'

Yeah that's a tough one. I know it's just youtube quality and real life would be better, but I couldn't see a car in that lane until 4 seconds before impact, and the car is easier to spot than a bike. The car driver is just lucky he was on a bike or they'd both be dead.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Yeah, it's one thing to be going 100 on the highway in the fast lane, but this idiot was on a two lane road with crossing traffic. I feel really bad for the Clio driver. It's almost like those cases where a person suicides in front of a train, except the conductor gets prosecuted in addition to mentally scarred for life.

I'm also annoyed how sympathetic that video is to the biker. It should really just show the footage and have in big block letters: "DON'T BE LIKE THIS FUCKWIT".

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Hikaki posted:

Yeah, it's one thing to be going 100 on the highway in the fast lane, but this idiot was on a two lane road with crossing traffic. I feel really bad for the Clio driver. It's almost like those cases where a person suicides in front of a train, except the conductor gets prosecuted in addition to mentally scarred for life.

I'm also annoyed how sympathetic that video is to the biker. It should really just show the footage and have in big block letters: "DON'T BE LIKE THIS FUCKWIT".

Though, of course, watching out for bikers is A Good Thing(tm). I just don't know if Clio could have done anything even if he did see the guy.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

anonumos posted:

Though, of course, watching out for bikers is A Good Thing(tm). I just don't know if Clio could have done anything even if he did see the guy.

Now I'm going back and rewatching it and the biker does start moving to the left side of the lane once he says whoa, so if the car had been paying any attention he could have just stopped in the middle of the lane and he probably would have still made it. If I didn't see a biker flying right at me, and then suddenly saw him I like to think that given my position in the lane when I saw him I'd either speed up or slam on the brakes, but that guy doesn't seem to do anything at all.

Not to be gruesome or anything but I'm trying to picture what exactly killed him, because I'm imagining the height of the Clio's hood just hit the bike itself and not his head or anything, so I'm guessing it was just the ground that did it. I'm sure there are a dozen different things either of them could have done to lessen the severity of the crash, but I guess if the purpose of the video being posted was to get people thinking about road safety it worked, although no more or less than that Russian dude doing the perfect flip onto the roof of that car.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Hikaki posted:

I'm kind of torn. I was always of the opinion that if I was speeding as much as him it would be my fault if i crashed - and that goes for that biker.

But then looking at the video its a fairly straight road and the bike should have been easily visible straight in front of the clio as he turned across that lane. The Clio driver clearly was at fault too - and in comparison he has come off a lot better than the biker. One of the news articles I saw/heard here mentioned the statements of other drivers against the clio too - I wonder what they saw?

There is a big open road near my house and about once a week an idiot (usually an OAP in a small car) pulls out from a side road in front of me or turns across me as I'm going fast. This makes me feel better for how it might go blame wise if I ever hit them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Had to repair the gps/power bit of my 0803. The micro USB cable socket pins had lifted off the PCB. this was probably due to me yanking the unit off the windshield with the power connected.

Fixed by jamming some spongy double sided tape folded onto itself and a snippet of cable tie between the housing and the USB connector. Perfect contact now.

Ordered 2 spare gps units for $40 shipped just in case it fails.

This camera is really great. At night, it's capturing license plates at two or three times the distance that my old cam would struggle at capturing during the day. It's also less annoying on start up as it's splash screen/tone is quieter, less bright LEDs (though I still cover it with some translucent silver tape) and has better control over the G sensor, which is a blessing for my car with it's coilovers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My G1W has started doing this when I shut the car off recently. It turns off, then for some reason turns back on. For a week or so it would get fully on and then pop a low battery warning and turn back off properly, but now the battery is apparently dead enough that it can't get fully booted and it just loops like this for a minute or two before giving up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unaKL8xQFv0

It still seems to work fine when the car is actually on and providing power, so its only a minor annoyance at the moment, but has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

a primate posted:

So my cam finally came in. No instructions, which I guess should be expected. What have I gotten myself into?
"Dash cam that will totally work, honest"

The ridged part looks like it unscrews, but doesn't. There's also a button on the top of the round part that looks like O||, which I assume means "record and/or pause". I thought that's what the orange one was for?

It came with a 6-prong cable that plugs into the cam, leading to a yellow component cable and three loose wires (yellow, red, black) that I assume are for wiring into the fuse box. What the hell is the component cable for?

Isn't the component one an analog output for old style DVRs ?

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/CCTV/Recorder/PL2229-1-Mini-Car-DVR.jpg

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

wolrah posted:

My G1W has started doing this when I shut the car off recently. It turns off, then for some reason turns back on. For a week or so it would get fully on and then pop a low battery warning and turn back off properly, but now the battery is apparently dead enough that it can't get fully booted and it just loops like this for a minute or two before giving up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unaKL8xQFv0

It still seems to work fine when the car is actually on and providing power, so its only a minor annoyance at the moment, but has anyone else experienced this and is there a fix?

This happened to me, too. I finally trashed the thing and intend to buy another brand.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Spatule posted:

Isn't the component one an analog output for old style DVRs ?

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/CCTV/Recorder/PL2229-1-Mini-Car-DVR.jpg

Ah, that could be it. Thanks.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
So the mini 0803 is probably the best budget model these days?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
For what it's worth I've been running my DVR-007 (dashcamtalk's former favorite) for a year and a half now and it's been working fine. I pull the card out from time to time to check and haven't seen any issues besides the brightness sensor going nuts every time I drive under anything with a shadow and poor nighttime visibility, both known before I picked up the camera but at the time there weren't any choices with better quality for 50bux.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wickerman posted:

So the mini 0803 is probably the best budget model these days?

very happy with mine, the only negative is that due to the form factor it can be difficult to place way up high on the windshield - I had to mount mine about 2 inches lower.

It actually might be a big deal for Left-Hand drive cars. the way my mirror angles means there is plenty of room for the camera on that side, though for a LHD car the mirror would be opposite, thus losing a lot of space.

Pic for reference

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Laserface posted:

very happy with mine, the only negative is that due to the form factor it can be difficult to place way up high on the windshield - I had to mount mine about 2 inches lower.

It actually might be a big deal for Left-Hand drive cars. the way my mirror angles means there is plenty of room for the camera on that side, though for a LHD car the mirror would be opposite, thus losing a lot of space.

Pic for reference

Give me your car. Right now please. Thank you.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

More Milwaukee dreams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ot3JMhGCQ

You'd almost give that person the benefit of the doubt based on the fact that their visibility of oncoming traffic is somewhat reduced, due to the construction equipment in the left turning lane on my side. Except that I would have been clearly loving visible at the 5 second mark - and besides - if there's a huge loving obstacle blocking your vision, since when was the default option "I'll go and hope for the best" instead of "I'll wait until the light changes/I can be sure it's safe"

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

sarcastx posted:

More Milwaukee dreams.

You'd almost give that person the benefit of the doubt based on the fact that their visibility of oncoming traffic is somewhat reduced, due to the construction equipment in the left turning lane on my side. Except that I would have been clearly loving visible at the 5 second mark - and besides - if there's a huge loving obstacle blocking your vision, since when was the default option "I'll go and hope for the best" instead of "I'll wait until the light changes/I can be sure it's safe"

"Eh that blue car was nowhere near you OH JESUS"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I really need to get off my rear end and wire up the camera in my wife's CR-V. Just last night had someone decide that a green left arrow meant they could go ahead and go straight across while I was trying to turn left, looked remarkably similar to that.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Got my G1W-C today. Was a bit fiddly to format the memory card correctly, and I was a little worried when it turned off a couple of times after inserting the memory card, but it works OK now. My radio signal dropped once I plugged it into my car, but the good news is I own better chargers, and all three 12V plugs in my car work with the ignition.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

sarcastx posted:

More Milwaukee dreams.

"I'll go and hope for the best" instead of "I'll wait until the light changes/I can be sure it's safe"

"The car in front of me is going, so it must be clear!"

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
Got a G1W a couple weeks ago, this was the first incident worth uploading anywhere. Dude in the black Dart gets antsy about traffic and passes on the shoulder.

And preemptively, yes, you can laugh at my dubstep. I don't normally listen to that I swear. =(

https://vimeo.com/105809257

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

He's wrong but right to be frustrated. Get the hell out of the passing lane if you're not passing.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

Do you guys do anything to .. .I guess... shade or protect your cameras from the sun?

Comparing footage taken when I got the camera like a year ago to today it looks somewhat degraded.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The casing or the footage itself?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Iridium posted:

Got a G1W a couple weeks ago, this was the first incident worth uploading anywhere. Dude in the black Dart gets antsy about traffic and passes on the shoulder.

And preemptively, yes, you can laugh at my dubstep. I don't normally listen to that I swear. =(

As incredibly stupid that car was to pass on the shoulder, its partly the fault of the guy in the left lane who is doing a roadblock.

Dumb college kids which are the worst drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym0zLldI7Ts

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

But that wasn't an interstate. It was just a four lane highway, there's intersections and everything. Interstate is the only place I see "Keep right except to pass" signs.

Lamar Smith R-TX
Feb 23, 2012

CharlesM posted:

The casing or the footage itself?

the footage

i really think the picture was a lot sharper + less grainy on day one

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

Do you guys do anything to .. .I guess... shade or protect your cameras from the sun?

Comparing footage taken when I got the camera like a year ago to today it looks somewhat degraded.

Its probably worthwhile, Im guessing my SD card died because of Australian sun.

Then again it could also have been due to the ridiculous amount of writes and re-writes these things experience.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

zapplez posted:

Dumb college kids which are the worst drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym0zLldI7Ts

Running a red light is illegal. Turning right, doing a u-turn, and turning right again isn't. :viggo:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Coredump posted:

But that wasn't an interstate. It was just a four lane highway, there's intersections and everything. Interstate is the only place I see "Keep right except to pass" signs.

"This guy's driving like an idiot, it's partly their fault if I do something stupid as a result" is wrong whether it's a highway or an interstate.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oxbrain posted:

Running a red light is illegal. Turning right, doing a u-turn, and turning right again isn't. :viggo:

What red light? Look at the traffic signals bud.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

zapplez posted:

What red light? Look at the traffic signals bud.

The red light out of the screen, to the left. The red light that the car that cut off the camera car is avoiding by turning right, doing a u-turn and turning right again.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lamar Smith R-TX posted:

the footage

i really think the picture was a lot sharper + less grainy on day one
I'm trying to figure out if UV does damage to the image sensors on these or not. I don't think so. I'm not quite sure, but I would try cleaning the lens.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

oxbrain posted:

Sounds like my dad growing up. "Aw, whoops, I accidentally turned into this shopping plaza! Ah well, guess I'll have to go to the exit on the opposite side that bypasses the long line of traffic at the light where I was gonna turn anyway, dag nabbit! :smug:"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Coredump posted:

So what? It's still common courtesy and and a basic rule of the road to keep right if you're not passing or making a left. Especially when someone clearly does want to pass it then extends in to being a dick.

Not defending the Dart at all, but more than one driver in that video was in the wrong.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Can we not do this, or is that too much to ask of goons?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

oxbrain posted:

I do this several times a day at work. :shrug:

I know the timing of every traffic light in my delivery area; doing that often cuts several minutes off of a trip, which means I'm back at the store before other drivers, which means more deliveries for me. There's a few non-signaled intersections (side streets exiting onto a major road, so stop sign for me, no stop sign for the major road) where it also makes much more sense to do that instead of waiting for all 6 lanes to clear to make a left turn.

Turn right, haul rear end to the next left turn, do a u-turn, mentally point and laugh at the person who was behind me waiting to turn left, who probably won't get to turn for a couple more minutes.

That said, every time I go to my doctor's - drat near every left turn in that city is signed for no u-turn, and you can't turn left out of his parking lot. I have to go a block down to the next light, turn left onto a smaller road, turn into my credit union's office building parking lot (since even that street has a no u-turn sign at nearly every turn), come back out of the parking lot, turn right, then turn right back onto the main road. drat near every time I've tried to do a u-turn in that city, I've wound up chatting with the local PD.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Pros cut across gas stations to avoid waiting to turn right on a red.