Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

https://isleaked.com/en.php seems to have a password that was never my password for my gmail account :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

https://isleaked.com/en.php seems to have a password that was never my password for my gmail account :confused:

The leaks are coming from multiple sites where you may have used your gmail address to sign up, not necessarily from gmail itself.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

My boss came into my office yesterday and told me I get to go to IBM Enterprise 2014! :krad:

I'm totally stoked, if anyone wants to meet up and grab a few drinks let me know. I love beer and it tastes that much better when IBM pays for it :guinness:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

My boss came into my office yesterday and told me I get to go to IBM Enterprise 2014! :krad:

I'm totally stoked, if anyone wants to meet up and grab a few drinks let me know. I love beer and it tastes that much better when IBM pays for it :guinness:

There are a bunch of things happening with z and POWER Linux and virtualization, but I don't know how many of them are public. Expect to see interesting things. I'm actually sad that I'm missing this, but I'm gonna be out of the country.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I've never been to a official event and while I'm mostly focusing on the hardware and IBMi side of things I'm totally going to try to get into as many Linux ones a possible. Both Red Hat and Canonical have booths and there's an event explicitly titled "What can Power Do that Intel can’t?".

When I get back I'll throw up a short summary of the whole week.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 10, 2014

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I was just in a meeting about traffic engineering that was spinning wheels so bad that I whiteboarded a spinning wheel

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

mattfl posted:

The leaks are coming from multiple sites where you may have used your gmail address to sign up, not necessarily from gmail itself.

Appears to be correct. I did a Ctrl+F for "+" and saw quite a few "xtube," "eharmony," and spammy/free cash sites.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

In saying that, don't just say "This is dumb, do it this way instead". You need to ask WHY they are doing it that way? It could be a bad reason, such as "We did this due to a software bug for an application we no longer use, and then it was just habit", in which case your suggested improvement should be welcome. Or they could be doing a dumb thing for a very valid reason, such as "legal reasons" which in medical IT you'll probably come across a lot.

Heh. I've been at my current job for a year and change and I still run into this all the time. Find some really bizarre configuration that makes no sense. Email team, pray that there's either documentation or that the last person who understands it hasn't moved on. Maybe 1 in 10 times, the answer is simply "wow yeah that is dumb as hell, let's fix it". Much more commonly, there's a good but non-obvious reason. Or perhaps most often, "changing that will completely break W,X,Y and Z. We hate the way this is set up and you're welcome to fix it, but it will take you the next 6 months to untangle this incredible clusterfuck. Which is why no one has dared to do it. Go hog wild."

So yeah, I definitely agree. When you come across something that seems odd or wrong, especially when you're new, ask why it is that way. Don't just "fix" it. There's usually a reason and it's not always sheer incompetence :v:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So does anyone here play active parts in User Group meets(VMUG, LUG's, etc)? Like leading discussions, planning their events, and what not?

I am interested in what people feel a pull to or what their user group wants.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

So does anyone here play active parts in User Group meets(VMUG, LUG's, etc)? Like leading discussions, planning their events, and what not?

You should just get drunk and tell everyone how you're here to help the IT world before your short life is taken from you. You can do that anywhere. I recommend a greyhound bus station downtown.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

You should just get drunk and tell everyone how you're here to help the IT world before your short life is taken from you. You can do that anywhere. I recommend a greyhound bus station downtown.

Thanks for the response that had nothing to do with my post, are you finished acting like a child or can we actually continue speaking like adults?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

I'm an active member of the Phoenix LUG, and I give presentations, though I don't take part in planning other than that.

In my experience, it's mostly three types:

• users who want to see easily digestible segments about upcoming or new stuff. Bhyve, openshift, openstack, docker, ansible/salt. How to get started with them and do useful stuff in less than an hour as a starting point for their own projects
  • business types (for lack of a better description) who show up in business casual and try to sift through the buzz. Frequently seen asking questions about how this product compares to some commercial product. Probably directors and CTOs staying current without getting too technical
  • smug admins/devs/arch Linux users who frequently ask questions which could be on hackernews or bofh punchlines so everyone knows how important and with it they are

Solicit suggestions, but at the risk of sounding elitist, the kind of people who drive groups don't know poo poo. The quiet people will speak up on lists and message boards, and they may actually be able to give it useful direction. In general, though, meeting twice a month (once as a "general bullshit and beers at some bar/restaurant" and once where some VMware solutions architect or engineer or whatever gives a deep dive on vMarketingName) works best in my experience.

A general bs night gives a chance to find out what people are excited about and may want to hear about in a more organic setting than raising their hand in a call for speakers, and a deep dive on lets them learn more about what they're excited about. Or vAnotherMysteryProduct, which may be cool if people knew what the hell it did.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

I'm an active member of the Phoenix LUG, and I give presentations, though I don't take part in planning other than that.

In my experience, it's mostly three types:

• users who want to see easily digestible segments about upcoming or new stuff. Bhyve, openshift, openstack, docker, ansible/salt. How to get started with them and do useful stuff in less than an hour as a starting point for their own projects
  • business types (for lack of a better description) who show up in business casual and try to sift through the buzz. Frequently seen asking questions about how this product compares to some commercial product. Probably directors and CTOs staying current without getting too technical
  • smug admins/devs/arch Linux users who frequently ask questions which could be on hackernews or bofh punchlines so everyone knows how important and with it they are

Solicit suggestions, but at the risk of sounding elitist, the kind of people who drive groups don't know poo poo. The quiet people will speak up on lists and message boards, and they may actually be able to give it useful direction. In general, though, meeting twice a month (once as a "general bullshit and beers at some bar/restaurant" and once where some VMware solutions architect or engineer or whatever gives a deep dive on vMarketingName) works best in my experience.

A general bs night gives a chance to find out what people are excited about and may want to hear about in a more organic setting than raising their hand in a call for speakers, and a deep dive on lets them learn more about what they're excited about. Or vAnotherMysteryProduct, which may be cool if people knew what the hell it did.

If you are ever game for tilt a kilt let me know(I'll buy). It is on me next time I fly out there(which is soon).

Would be happy to attend any speaks and what not and would love to hear the suggestions you all get.

I agree with the people however for me it is
>Sales people(25%)
>idiots who don't understand what the people below them are doing and only see a pay check(30%)
>Actual people who want to learn(45%)

suprisingly most people just want to work 9-5 and give it up about any thing related to job... It's funny. I just want to help the people in the engineering but all they want to do is drink and go home. Can't blame them, most good engineers are alcoholics or fail to understand money/people/etc and focusing on what they love.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 11, 2014

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

suprisingly most people just want to work 9-5 and give it up about any thing related to job... It's funny. I just want to help the people in the engineering but all they want to do is drink and go home. Can't blame them, most good engineers are alcoholics or fail to understand money/people/etc and focusing on what they love.

This really should not be surprising.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
nvm

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

God I missed you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's almost as if most people want to unwind after working. Saying most good engineers are alcoholics or socially stunted is pretty funny too.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
You really need your own emoticon.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
I love dilberts sweeping generalizations

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We have wormsign.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

If most good engineers are alcoholics then it follows logically that drinking more will increase your chance of becoming a good engineer. Instead of wasting time with going to user groups and conferences you should just drink more.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

Jesus Christ.

Let's be real here, you don't want to "help" anyone. You want to make an attempt to show people how you think you know more than them.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

If most good engineers are alcoholics then it follows logically that drinking more will increase your chance of becoming a good engineer. Instead of wasting time with going to user groups and conferences you should just drink more.

This guy gets it! :rubshands:

H.R. Paperstacks fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 11, 2014

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Well yeah I mean even people who love their job/career and are out there learning new things and researching subjects in their field still want to unwind after work and do something else. I really love IT and like learning as much about it as I can because it's my career and I want to the best that I can in it. That doesnt mean that I want to just do that 24/7 burn myself out and cry alone in some dark corner hovered over a bottle of scotch.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea I don't touch computers or anything IT related once I leave work and I would say I'm pretty drat passionate about my job. After 5pm I just sit on my couch with my girlfriend and watch vampire diaries :drac:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Che Delilas posted:

You're probably going to run into a lot of stupid procedures or ways of doing things that are obviously inefficient or costing the company money or something that you have the perfect solution for. Ignore the impulse to try and fix these things, and just do the job you were brought in to do. Nobody likes the new guy coming in and telling them how wrong they're doing everything, even if it's the truth (especially if it's the truth).

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm going to disagree with this. :words:

There's some truth to both of these lines of thought but I think in most circumstances it's better to at least initially bite your tongue. As always, you'll come across plenty of things that are inefficient but improving them is often much more difficult than it appears.

If you are going to attempt to make a change be sure to be tactful. Nobody wants to hear "Whoever wrote this script had no idea what they're doing". Don't throw your boss, co-workers or even previous employees under the bus. If you had a time machine and went back to whenever what was implemented 99.999% of the time you'd find they're overworked, underpaid just as much as everyone else and did the best they could under the circumstances. Second, before you start re-inventing the wheel be sure that your primary duties are completed as that's priority number one.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

dogstile posted:

It's almost as if most people want to unwind after working. Saying most good engineers are alcoholics or socially stunted is pretty funny too.

The worst part is, he doesn't think he's remotely wrong :v:

I love my career and job and what I do, but the very last thing I want to do, after leaving the office, is more IT. I guess that makes me a lazy idiot alcoholic or something!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
That job I turned down, my referral who works there says they want me to come back in for an hour and talk to them about why I turned the job down, and what I think they should be looking for with regards to hiring and expanding IT.

I'm like gee, that sounds an awful lot like consulting. I don't know why an investor funded startup needs me to come in and explain to the CFO/HR why they need to pay actual money for actual IT people.

My referral is also family-in-law so I guess as a favor for vouching for me in the first place and out of morbid curiosity I'll swing by.

I feel like I'm going to have to tell them "Pay some top-tier IT consultant to tell you which positions you need to open and have 'em sit in on the interviews."

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 12, 2014

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Umm why would you agree to do that, family or not. They are a business, it's their job to find their hiring problems using their resources, not yours (which shouldn't be free btw). HR resources have the ability to get pay baselines from companies that charge to do the exact thing you're going to do for free.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Sepist posted:

Umm why would you agree to do that, family or not. They are a business, it's their job to find their hiring problems using their resources, not yours (which shouldn't be free btw). HR resources have the ability to get pay baselines from companies that charge to do the exact thing you're going to do for free.

Change the location from their office to a bar over happy hour/a nice dinner and tossing them a few suggestions becomes more palatable.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
That's how it always is. I have gone to a few vendor baseball games and Cisco buys us lunch most days. Gotta give something to get something.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Dark Helmut posted:

Change the location from their office to a bar over happy hour/a nice dinner and tossing them a few suggestions becomes more palatable.

This is a good idea. My brother's boss wanted a few people to come back and discuss what they're doing wrong. I suggested the bar and people actually popping by went from 0% to around 20%.

Hey, it wasn't much better, but they got somewhere.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

CLAM DOWN posted:

The worst part is, he doesn't think he's remotely wrong :v:

I love my career and job and what I do, but the very last thing I want to do, after leaving the office, is more IT. I guess that makes me a lazy idiot alcoholic or something!

I'd just like to say I called this.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sepist posted:

I love dilberts sweeping generalizations

Sweeping generalization based on year of industry experience, no less!

(not a typo)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sepist posted:

I was just in a meeting about traffic engineering that was spinning wheels so bad that I whiteboarded a spinning wheel
I'd be more concerned about non-moving wheels in traffic

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Against my better judgement I went to that job I turned down expecting to give them a free consultation in IT. The CFO grabs me and says "look, we want to hire you." So I'm like okay, then why did HR offer me less than I'm making now? And he said yeah, they made a big mistake. So I said okay, I keep my Lead Sys Engineer title, if I'm "downsized" I want two months salary, I want comp days for any overtime worked, and I want 80k base salary, not the 55k you guys were slinging.

He shook on it and said I'd have the written offer tomorrow morning. First time in my life I'm going to be paid what I'm worth.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Zero VGS posted:

Against my better judgement I went to that job I turned down expecting to give them a free consultation in IT. The CFO grabs me and says "look, we want to hire you." So I'm like okay, then why did HR offer me less than I'm making now? And he said yeah, they made a big mistake. So I said okay, I keep my Lead Sys Engineer title, if I'm "downsized" I want two months salary, I want comp days for any overtime worked, and I want 80k base salary, not the 55k you guys were slinging.

He shook on it and said I'd have the written offer tomorrow morning. First time in my life I'm going to be paid what I'm worth.

That's awesome. Congratulations. Wish more places had some sense in them.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Bravo! Way to go, enjoy the :yotj:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yes sir. That is how it's done. Awesome!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Zero VGS posted:

This makes me smile. Congrats!