Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Jignx posted:

My parents are coming to london for a vacation and I've been researching for places to eat and so far I've got Bodeans, Lemonia, Byron burgers and a few ramen places.

Do you guys have any recommendations for a family friendly places to eat where the crowd isn't that rowdy and the food is affordable for a family of four?

I like to recommend Jai Krishna near Finsbury Park for super affordable food. It's Gujarati cuisine so it's a little different from your usual Indian fare, and the service is very casual so it's a good place to spend time eating and having some drinks. You don't mention where you are though, so it could be way out of your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jignx
Feb 17, 2006
~♥Bringer of Light♥~
Well so far we plan to travel around central london and my dad is a huge foodie and he asked me to come up with places to eat.

Other than that, it's mostly just normal tourist stuff since I rarely travel in london due to living in the south of england. Are there any food markets in london that I should visit?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jignx posted:

Well so far we plan to travel around central london and my dad is a huge foodie and he asked me to come up with places to eat.

Other than that, it's mostly just normal tourist stuff since I rarely travel in london due to living in the south of england. Are there any food markets in london that I should visit?

Hoo boy. Borough Market is the biggie. That's by London Bridge/Borough stations. That runs Mon-Sat, Also check out Leather Lane, that's by Chancery Lane/Farringdon stations, and runs Mon-Fri.

There's several around that just run one day of the week. Bloomsbury Farmers Market runs on a Thursday lunchtime, that's near Russell Square/Goodge St.

Marylebone Farmers Market runs on weekends. You can guess the nearest station for that.

Greenwich Market has some fantastic food stalls, and you can get the river taxi down there which is a wonderful way of seeing London too. Closest station is Cutty Sark on the DLR.

More choices here: http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/activities/shopping/market/food-market

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Hoo boy. Borough Market is the biggie. That's by London Bridge/Borough stations. That runs Mon-Sat, Also check out Leather Lane, that's by Chancery Lane/Farringdon stations, and runs Mon-Fri.

There's several around that just run one day of the week. Bloomsbury Farmers Market runs on a Thursday lunchtime, that's near Russell Square/Goodge St.

Marylebone Farmers Market runs on weekends. You can guess the nearest station for that.

Greenwich Market has some fantastic food stalls, and you can get the river taxi down there which is a wonderful way of seeing London too. Closest station is Cutty Sark on the DLR.

More choices here: http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/activities/shopping/market/food-market

These also exist at night time - check out http://www.streetfeastlondon.com/ for Street Feast, Model Market and Riverside Feast.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

tentish klown posted:

These also exist at night time - check out http://www.streetfeastlondon.com/ for Street Feast, Model Market and Riverside Feast.

Oh wow, I had no idea this existed!

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Maltby St Market is one of my favourites.

I would say taking your whole family to Jai Krishna with its shabby decor and aluminium tables might be a bit underwhelming though. The food is cheap and decent but it's definitely not a destination restaurant. If you end up that way do go to Peteks, the staff are kind of annoying but the food is so yum and pretty cheap, and they have all these awesome lanterns inside. Then drink at the Fulback after!

Are you looking for a sort of ticks the boxes, gets us all fed and is a pleasant experience? Gastro pubs and that might be right up your street - where will you be staying?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Neris posted:

I would say taking your whole family to Jai Krishna with its shabby decor and aluminium tables might be a bit underwhelming though. The food is cheap and decent but it's definitely not a destination restaurant.

My dad and brother really enjoyed Jai Krishna because the dining experience was so different to what they were used to with Indian restaurants, which is why I suggested it. But yeah, if you're after a classy experience it's not the place to be.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Mid-range acceptable pub with food in the Warren Street area, anyone? There's a good few so I'm not really spoiled for choice but wondering if you lot have any suggestions!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fitzroy Tavern is about 5 mins walk away?

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."
The Bree Louise

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

wickles posted:

The Bree Louise

No it's terrible now

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

xcdude24 posted:

Hey guys, is Huy Fong brand Sriracha sauce hard to find in London? I was going to try to pick up a few bottles while I'm over there.

My local Longdan's in Kingston sells this brand. They've also got shops in Shoreditch and Elephant & Castle.

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Any large Tescos will carry it. Mine in Kennington has a foreign aisle.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

tentish klown posted:

Go here and eat all of the brownies from Batch Bakery. They are awesome and the ladies that run it are ace.

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

Lady Gaza posted:

No it's terrible now

What? What happened? :unsmigghh:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

wickles posted:

What? What happened? :unsmigghh:

It smells (even more) of stale piss and beard dipped in beer. A lot of the beers don't seem to be shifting so casks are not in the best condition. Shame, really.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I found the beer really flat, stale and tasteless last time I went. Also the pub itself isn't a very nice building.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
London Amateur here - Can anyone recommend a good place to go for a not-too-extravagant celebratory lunch in walking distance of Oxford circus?

A jargogle fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 16, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A jargogle posted:

London Amateur here - Can anyone recommend a good place to go for a celebratory lunch in walking distance of Oxford circus?

Meat Liquor is about 5 minutes walk away, as is Bodean's?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

A jargogle posted:

London Amateur here - Can anyone recommend a good place to go for a not-too-extravagant celebratory lunch in walking distance of Oxford circus?

Set lunch at Arbutus. A bit of a walk but definitely walking distance. Very god good, brilliant value.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Pollen Street Social is just off Oxford Circus and has a set lunch menu.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

peanut- posted:

Pollen Street Social is just off Oxford Circus and has a set lunch menu.

That's a good call, and closer than Arbutus. Oh! Riding House Cafe too. Apparently Antidote on Carnaby Strasse is good too.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks for the advice guys, sadly plans changed and we actually ended up eating somewhere near Waterloo, did end up having a very nice burger though!

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Visited London a copule weeks ago, and had some really awesome food. Started at Jackson and Rye, which was just OK- had a reuben sandwich, which could have been a lot better considering the price. The next day I had the Pho at Song Que on Kingsland road, which was really good. They had a pretty extensive menu with a lot of my favorite Vietnamese dishes, so I'll explore a little more next time I'm in town. My friend took me to Franco Manca on the last night, which was probably one of the better pizzas I've had, and incredibly affordable to boot. Not a bad outing!

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Can anyone comment on how good Foxlow is? Menu looks good but I've read some pretty bad reviews about it.

powertoiletduck
Feb 19, 2004

dance dance dance
I've been there about 5-6 times and never had a bad experience. It's a bit expensive for what it is - but I've never had an issue with the food/drinks/service.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Hmmm thanks for that, will have to give it a try I think.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Sorry to bump this thread but I'll be in London from Saturday through Wednesday staying at NW6 4EB. Any close recommendations or things to not miss food wise would be appreciated. My only requests are that I don't drink so don't care about bars and that I don't really like seafood. Anything other than that is fair game. I also especially like spicy food and ethnic food. Also preferably not very expensive.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

"ethnic" food?

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

Kaiho posted:

"ethnic" food?

Sorry, I guess in my part of the US that refers to pretty much anything that isn't Chinese, Mexican or BBQ / Southern food. The reason for it all being lumped together is because around here there are a large amount of people that hate anything that AREN'T those types of food.

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.
To be perfect is to be unable to improve any further.

Kaiho posted:

"ethnic" food?

Your main ethic group in that area of London is middle-class whites who read the Daily Mail, and your chance of finding cheap or spicy food from that lot is basically zero.

KuroMayuri
Sep 4, 2014

I hate perfection.
To be perfect is to be unable to improve any further.

Onion Rings posted:

Sorry, I guess in my part of the US that refers to pretty much anything that isn't Chinese, Mexican or BBQ / Southern food. The reason for it all being lumped together is because around here there are a large amount of people that hate anything that AREN'T those types of food.

Ah well in that case, you'll be needing a curry. Theoretically an Indian food (Indian as in from India, rather than Native American) most of what you'll find is basically a UK take on that general theme, but still damned good, spicy and cheap nonetheless.

However the normal method for finding a good curry house is to drink until the pub closes, and then stumble around until you find one, then order something too hot for you to handle, and regret it the next day. I've no idea how to find a good curry house when sober. :D

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

KuroMayuri posted:

Your main ethic group in that area of London is middle-class whites who read the Daily Mail, and your chance of finding cheap or spicy food from that lot is basically zero.

Oh good lord. Glad I'm not going to be living in that area then, just staying temporarily. I'm actually coming here to look for an apartment so I'll try to keep an eye out for good places to eat while looking around.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Onion Rings posted:

Oh good lord. Glad I'm not going to be living in that area then, just staying temporarily. I'm actually coming here to look for an apartment so I'll try to keep an eye out for good places to eat while looking around.

Just outside Finchley Rd tube is what I think is a reasonable Iranian restaurant. On Shoot-Up Hill is a fantastic Ethiopian place. Haven't been there for a while but it was excellent, and cheap.
It's a nice area, I used to live near there; ignore the bitter poster.
In fact, I used to live really near! You are close to a superb Indian place called Eriki in Swiss Cottage. Although the Internet is suggesting it's closed. :(

therattle fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 11, 2014

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Anyone recommend a decent first date type restaurant, preferably Italian in London? Hilariously vague I know. I guess on the cheaper end of London prices.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

tarbrush posted:

Anyone recommend a decent first date type restaurant, preferably Italian in London? Hilariously vague I know. I guess on the cheaper end of London prices.

Where in London?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Where in London?

Well, we're coming at it from either side, so pretty much "in the middle-ish". Preferably not too far from public transport.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tarbrush posted:

500 on Archway Rd just near the station.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

therattle posted:

500 on Archway Rd just near the station.

Archway's a bit manky for a first date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Archway's a bit manky for a first date

True, true, but the restaurant is nice.

The only Italian places in central London i could think of are either expensive or crap.