Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Aces High posted:

I have always found that the efficiency of your starting handgun far exceeds the damage per shot of Red9. Of course that's probably because having a higher headshot rate means more to me (who usually goes for the head or the knees) than doing 6 damage per shot :colbert:

You are clearly not a man who has experienced the agony of an enemy's head exploding and he still gets his attack off while you're right next to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Headshots stun.

"Headshots" in this case when is referring to the instant-kill head-explode, not shooting them in the head.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

no shooting an enemy in the head stuns them, it is one of the two melee set ups in the game, the other being the knee. The knee which I have always found more difficult to pull off in a row compared to headshots.

Also Lune I know exactly what you're talking about but I think the other reason I keep Leon's handgun is because I'm one of those weird people that keeps it for continuity (I also always equip it before a cutscene, yes I am weird)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

no shooting an enemy in the head stuns them, it is one of the two melee set ups in the game, the other being the knee. The knee which I have always found more difficult to pull off in a row compared to headshots.

So why did you mention it with regards to the starting handgun whose special ability is an increase in critical-hit instant-kill headshots? The starting handgun isn't particularly better at stunning enemies and once it gets its exclusive upgrade is technically worse at it! (Although as mentioned, worse means "it makes the enemy's head explode instead.")

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 12, 2014

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Real men don't use the Merchant at all in RE4. The starting handgun is the best handgun because it's all you ever need.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

Real men don't use the Merchant at all in RE4. The starting handgun is the best handgun because it's all you ever need.

Pffh. Real men use the knife for everything. (Except Salazar, natch.)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Knife only except you use guns to kill the merchant at every appearance and the free rocket launcher on Salazar.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Pffh. Real men use the knife for everything. (Except Salazar, natch.)

And chained boxes. And the runaway trucks.

RE4 was a great game when it came to minimalist runs.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The next Resident Evil needs killable merchants that enrage much like Spelunky.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

And chained boxes.

You can knife a lock with a few swings.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I am talking about these.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I am talking about these.

Okay so one bullet :( (the other path is optional)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
One thing I just noticed in RE6 while accompanying a buddy through Leon's campaign - When you first enter the chapel, there's an older guy survivor that says "My son Marco is in the BSAA! He'll have the entire army here, you'll see!" :smith:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ImpAtom posted:

So why did you mention it with regards to the starting handgun whose special ability is an increase in critical-hit instant-kill headshots? The starting handgun isn't particularly better at stunning enemies and once it gets its exclusive upgrade is technically worse at it! (Although as mentioned, worse means "it makes the enemy's head explode instead.")

what the gently caress are we talking about anymore :confused:

Ok here's how my handgun take downs usually go:

1. Shoot the ganado (or whatever) in the head, if merely stunned go to

2. deliver melee, if still alive go to

3. knife it a bunch of times, if it gets up repeat process, if dead

4. pick the next ganado

Some times I get lazy and just shotgun a group of ganados as well but seeing as this is more or less how all of my handgun take downs go I see no real utility or upgrade that the Red9 (or any of the other handguns, honestly) offers. That's all I've been saying this whole time

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Aces High posted:

4. pick the next ganado

Some times I get lazy and just shotgun a group of ganados as well but seeing as this is more or less how all of my handgun take downs go I see no real utility or upgrade that the Red9 (or any of the other handguns, honestly) offers. That's all I've been saying this whole time

He is saying that because the starting handgun crits as its exclusive, you lose the ability to stun them instead which doesn't allow you to kick massive amounts of people down.

He is saying the AOE kick is much more useful than being able to down ganados in one headshot.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

I did shoot all the medallions. All 15 present in the village area anyway, since they were blatantly marked on the map. No idea if more exist in the game since I've not noticed any nor have they shown up on the map since and if shooting all 15 did anything special I didn't notice.

Did you shoot the medallions in the cemetery outside the church? Not sure if you would count that in your "village area" description. I remember there being a gap between the farm and the cemetery to make you forget about the medallions in between :mad:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

look let's just focus on what's important here

bring back slip and slide zombie shark boss fights

RocketDarkness
Jun 3, 2008

Lotish posted:

Is RE4 better on the PC than the 360? I picked it up on 360 a while back because it was on sale for cheap and it just...doesn't feel right. Also it looks a lot worse than I remember, but of course it's times have changed.

RE4 feels pretty dang excellent on the PC. It's got all the graphical bells and whistles of the GCN/Wii versions and will be far and away the best version once this texture pack is released: http://re4hd.com/

One of the guys lives in Spain and actually finds the source objects for a great deal of the textures. These guys are doing a great job staying true to the original art direction while still boosting the image quality significantly.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

There was a Japanese player named KamikazeKnife who did almost everything on RE4 with just a knife and took it a step further that he put himself at 1 HP so he was running slower too. I don't know what happened to his channel though.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

RocketDarkness posted:

RE4 feels pretty dang excellent on the PC. It's got all the graphical bells and whistles of the GCN/Wii versions and will be far and away the best version once this texture pack is released: http://re4hd.com/

One of the guys lives in Spain and actually finds the source objects for a great deal of the textures. These guys are doing a great job staying true to the original art direction while still boosting the image quality significantly.

How the gently caress is he finding the exact doors and furniture. That's crazy.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Did you shoot the medallions in the cemetery outside the church? Not sure if you would count that in your "village area" description. I remember there being a gap between the farm and the cemetery to make you forget about the medallions in between :mad:

Yeah, the cemetery outside the church houses like three or four of them or something. It's kinda weird, I figured the blue medallion hunt would be a recurring collectible thing for me to hunt in every area but either I've become painfully blind after entering the castle or they just only existed for that part of the game, it's kinda strange to me to a collectible hunt that exists for the beginning portion of the game only.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Yeah, the cemetery outside the church houses like three or four of them or something. It's kinda weird, I figured the blue medallion hunt would be a recurring collectible thing for me to hunt in every area but either I've become painfully blind after entering the castle or they just only existed for that part of the game, it's kinda strange to me to a collectible hunt that exists for the beginning portion of the game only.

There's only the one medallion hunt, in the Village. Shoot 10 for a Punisher, shoot all 15 for a Punisher with a +1 Damage Upgrade.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Aces High posted:

4. pick the next ganado

I don't remember Genado stumbling from headshots, I thought you had to hit them in the legs. That's why people were so confused when RE6 came around, since they changed it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Momomo posted:

I don't remember Genado stumbling from headshots, I thought you had to hit them in the legs. That's why people were so confused when RE6 came around, since they changed it.

Ganado are stunned by ANY headshot. That's half the point of using the TMP (especially as HUNK in Mercenaries cause he has the instant-kill neckbreak). If you mean stumbling for a suplex, yeah, you do need to shoot the legs, but when they're recoiling from a headshot, you can go for the roundhouse kick and knock down a whole crowd. Head stuns are much more reliable, too because they affect a wide area instead of the suplex which is one-on-one, not to mention that the sweet spot for a leg stun is much harder to routinely hit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Nope. Headshots were the reliable way to do it. In fact headshots and kneeshots had different melee attacks once you reached a certain point.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Is that what happened? I thought you just permanently changed to the suplex for whatever reason once you reached the castle. I ended up doing the kick once by accident and thought it was just a glitch or something.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Momomo posted:

Is that what happened? I thought you just permanently changed to the suplex for whatever reason once you reached the castle. I ended up doing the kick once by accident and thought it was just a glitch or something.

You gotta knee-stun the first enemy that you encounter in the castle that's wearing that iron mask thing, and Leon will start suplexing for knee-stuns instead of doing whatever move he does that before. That's how I understood it, anyways!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I bought RE 6 and Revelations off the Steam sale, because I haven't played either of them except for the demos.

My partner for Leon's campaign kept kicking me which was pretty funny, but then they got hit by a train, which was also pretty funny.

So far, Resident Evil 6 gets two thumbs up from me.

Serious Question: If I actually want to play through the game for the story, should I just turn off online mode altogether? If I ramp up the difficulty, will I be more likely to get paired with someone who wants to play the game?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Mogomra posted:

I bought RE 6 and Revelations off the Steam sale, because I haven't played either of them except for the demos.

My partner for Leon's campaign kept kicking me which was pretty funny, but then they got hit by a train, which was also pretty funny.

Serious Question: If I actually want to play through the game for the story, should I just turn off online mode altogether? If I ramp up the difficulty, will I be more likely to get paired with someone who wants to play the game?

You can, I did it by myself. The AI is passable, but I think the game would be more enjoyable multiplayer.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
In RE4, you don't need to do anything special to learn the suplex. For knee stuns, Leon uses the suplex on zealot/militia Ganados and a back kick on villagers. You can test this by going back inside the church where you first rescue Ashley after jumping out the window. There are 2 zealots hidden there, before you get to the castle you can use the suplex on them. And in the mines, the knee stun on villager Ganados gives the KICK prompt, not the suplex.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Mogomra posted:

Or you can play with me. I will drop anything I'm doing to play Resident Evil.

Alabaster White posted:

Ganado are stunned by ANY headshot. That's half the point of using the TMP (especially as HUNK in Mercenaries cause he has the instant-kill neckbreak). If you mean stumbling for a suplex, yeah, you do need to shoot the legs, but when they're recoiling from a headshot, you can go for the roundhouse kick and knock down a whole crowd. Head stuns are much more reliable, too because they affect a wide area instead of the suplex which is one-on-one, not to mention that the sweet spot for a leg stun is much harder to routinely hit.

To be technical, the leg stun is random since it's half considered a body shot. Headshots will always stun if the following does not happen: they transform dudes or their heads explode. Pick your poison as you feel like it :)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I liked resident evil 2 and 4, thought 5 was all right but a disappointment. A friend recommended revelations, was he correct? Should I get the DLC?
Also, should I get 6? I heard it was awful. The steam sale looks good.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
Revelations is pretty bad. It feels like a 3DS game because it's a port and it has a painfully lame plot. Haven't played 6 so I don't know.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Revelations is fantastic, probably the best RE since the classics.

RE6 is a very acquired taste, some people hate it, others love it, rarely is there a middle ground, it has the best mercenaries of any of the iterations though so if you like mercs, you'll love it in RE6

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

redreader posted:

I liked resident evil 2 and 4, thought 5 was all right but a disappointment. A friend recommended revelations, was he correct? Should I get the DLC?
Also, should I get 6? I heard it was awful. The steam sale looks good.

I really like Revelations, I'm playing through it right now for the second time. I think there's a nice balance between horror and action – you don't get as much ammo as in RE4/5. By the end of the game it gets pretty shooty, but that's to be expected. Like RE4, it focuses on a new storyline with a primarily new cast. It's broken up into distinct episodes. You play the majority of it as Jill, but you'll also play a few as Chris and some other characters.

I don't have any of the DLC yet, but I think it's pretty inconsequential. You can get some extra weapons, a girl version of HUNK (who you might recognize from 2 or 4's merc modes), and a monster version of one of the game's characters, which is pretty cool. All of the DLC is for raid mode, which is the game's mercenaries mode. It's linear levels instead of killing things until time runs out, but the emphasis on score remains. Unlike RE4, you can play it with a friend.

I really strongly disliked 6, but granted I only played a few levels. I thought that the shooting was really clunky, the amount of QTEs is ridiculous, and there's a lot of unexplained mechanics. But as the post above me said, it's an acquired taste. It has four separate campaigns that vary wildly in focus, atmosphere, gameplay, and probably quality. I will say that everything I've heard strongly recommends playing with a partner.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

It's linear levels instead of killing things until time runs out, but the emphasis on score remains. Unlike RE4, you can play it with a friend.

Raid actually doesn't have any serious emphasis on scoring. There's no score mechanic in place like in Mercenaries.

Instead you're given a ranking at the end of the stage based on accuracy, enemies killed, damage taken and clear time, with a ranking based on these. The reason to replay the stages is to get better loot as opposed to going for a high score. Finishing the stage with a high ranking just involves killing all enemies without taking damage. Rarely you'll need to know a gimmick (usually a hidden enemy) to get that top ranking but otherwise it's mostly a straight up "kill, don't take damage" thing.

Just want to emphasize that because they play very differently. Raid is basically Resident Diablo compared to Mercenaries being a weird arcade score attack game.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Raid actually doesn't have any serious emphasis on scoring. There's no score mechanic in place like in Mercenaries.

Instead you're given a ranking at the end of the stage based on accuracy, enemies killed, damage taken and clear time, with a ranking based on these. The reason to replay the stages is to get better loot as opposed to going for a high score. Finishing the stage with a high ranking just involves killing all enemies without taking damage. Rarely you'll need to know a gimmick (usually a hidden enemy) to get that top ranking but otherwise it's mostly a straight up "kill, don't take damage" thing.

Just want to emphasize that because they play very differently. Raid is basically Resident Diablo compared to Mercenaries being a weird arcade score attack game.

My bad, I never delved too deeply into either!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My bad, I never delved too deeply into either!

Not trying to be a dick or anything, just wanted to point it out since I like both modes!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I beat two of RE6's campaigns and can't say I liked either of them. Leon's especially is awful. I gave up halfway through Jake's, but his was the most fun until it just wasn't anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah in Mercs you want an all-out offensive to rack up combos, Raid mode absolutely rewards the patient approach. I kind of wish the "never got hit" medal was replaced with a "never used healing" medal because it is the most frustrating possible thing when you get hit by the stupid little urchin monster whose only purpose is to be killed and give you a weapon case/custom part.

RE6 and Revelations are both Good + Fun games and are a good-rear end deal with the Capcom sale atm.