Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

SourKraut posted:

I think the extruded camera is on the normal 6 as well?

And I'd also doubt that there would be any exterior changes on an S version of the 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I've already got an iPad mini Retina and an iPhone 4S, and this thread has convinced me (was already 75% there) that getting the regular 6 for actual phone use is the move, despite the differences in battery life. I went and felt up some galaxy notes (roughly same width?) and man, that's a hefty phone to hold. Also, having a phablet and a tablet would leave me with no phone. Maybe a generation or two down the road I'll consolodate into the 7+ or whatever, but by then we'll all be wearing apple contact lenses and so on and so forth. For now, phone it is. The screen size difference from 4S to 6 is gonna be pretty big anyway.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

So with the scaling issues, how bad of a performance hit are we talking about?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vintimus Prime posted:

How are we supposed to know that with zero reviews?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How are we supposed to know that with zero reviews?

Yea true point. Sorry!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Have any other phones done downsampling in the past? Could give some slight insight into how performance may be. So far the only reference I have found is Ars' comment about choppiness of the UI relative to the 6, with no other real comment on it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vintimus Prime posted:

Based on Apple's track record, it won't affect usability.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Vintimus Prime posted:

Seriously dude, how do you expect anyone to know? The phone was just announced and has yet to be released. Also, I wouldn't be worried about a supposed performance hit regardless as I very highly doubt that Apple would release the 6+ if it was appreciably slower than the 6. It is likely a completely negligible difference.

Also, I as well still don't know if I'm getting a 6 or 6+ yet, with under an hour to go before pre-orders open up. I definitely could use a bigger screen than on my 5, but the 4.7" IS already bigger than my iPhone 5 after all. But man, that big 5.5" screen with the 400+ ppi looks killer, even if the phone it's attached to would need to be air-lifted to my apartment via helicopter. Also the extra iPad like landscape features, OIS camera feature and better battery life (if their numbers are true) are really tempting.

It would also be nice as I could likely sell off my iPad and just use the 6+ instead. I think I'll probably just go 6+ as I feel like I'd eventually regret it if I didn't. Or maybe what's actually going to happen is I regret getting the gigantic 6+ because it gives me a hernia from carrying it around. Seriously though, the weight obviously isn't the issue -- it's more it's large size/footprint taking up all that space in my pocket for the next two years I'm worried about. It's hard to know beforehand how annoying that is going to be. I know it's going to be annoying, it's just a question of how much. Will the usefulness outweigh the annoyance?

Decisions...

Damo fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 12, 2014

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
I've somewhat comfortably fit my Nexus 7 in my pocket. I don't really foresee an issue with the 6+ unless skinny jeans are your thing.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bishyaler posted:

I've somewhat comfortably fit my Nexus 7 in my pocket. I don't really foresee a issue with the 6+ unless skinny jeans are your thing.

I have no idea what kind of pants people wear where a mother loving tablet fits in their jeans.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Bishyaler posted:

I've somewhat comfortably fit my Nexus 7 in my pocket. I don't really foresee an issue with the 6+ unless skinny jeans are your thing.

Cargo shorts huh? :smuggo:

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

SB35 posted:

Cargo shorts huh? :smuggo:

As god intended.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

noirstronaut posted:

I have no idea what kind of pants people wear where a mother loving tablet fits in their jeans.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Is a nexus 7 a tablet then? Hahaha, I thought he was talking about a phone at first. Yeah, that is pretty ridiculous friend. You've got some big rear end pants.

I'm a small framed dude, and I don't wear skinny jeans, just, uh, normal jeans I guess. The phone will fit in my pockets from the dimensions I've seen, it's more about having a big rear end solid rectangular thing in my pocket I'm more worried about. It's so drat big I feel like it's going to impair normal movement and poo poo like that almost.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The 7 means it's a 7 inch screen.

Realtalk if the big iPhones start a resurgence of people wearing JNCOs then I will pull out my Smashing Pumpkins Zero t-shirt and relive middle school all over again.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Get the 5.5'' iPhone 6 Plus so that when a woman asks you how you fit it into your pocket you can say "i'm used to having 5.5 inches in my pants."

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Get the 5.5'' iPhone 6 Plus so that when a woman asks you how you fit it into your pocket you can say "i'm used to having 5.5 inches in my pants."

"And it's only 7.1mm thin."

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

we must dismantle the shogunate

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Looks like no ordering tonight gentlemen. The 10am Pacific time rumor may have been true.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Out of curiosity, which cases are people planning on grabbing for the plus?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Out of curiosity, which cases are people planning on grabbing for the plus?

A Manila envelope.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Ultimate Mango posted:

Looks like no ordering tonight gentlemen. The 10am Pacific time rumor may have been true.
iOS App.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Can see and select a color and size but no carrier.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Ultimate Mango posted:

Can see and select a color and size but no carrier.
Apparently you gotta just keep mashing buttons until it lets you continue. See the pre-order thread.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, I had to swap between 6 and 6 Plus until the 6 was available, then I got hit with errors almost all the way down. I just hit the buttons again and then it was added to my cart, I paid the money, etc etc.

Proof~

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 12, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

successfully ordered a 6 w/ 64GB via telstra.

yay for new flashy toys arriving in a week.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
I hope Magpul makes a new version of their cases for the 6plus soon. Their iPhone 5 case is pretty much the only iPhone case I have ever liked. Simple, thin, tough, good grip, doesn't snag on my pockets. Gets the job done.

It's likely they will take forever to release it though. I need to figure out a good slim case to use for the 6 plus until then. Maybe that silicon one Apple is selling, once they get back in stock that is.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Since I got my launch day iPhone 5S, I've had it in this card holder case:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AFGTCJO/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_VoUeub0ZDETVR

And now that I've ordered a 6, I realized I don't carry my wallet with me anywhere at all. Tried ordering a Shenzhen special of similar but tackier design but it won't be here until probably October. Here's hoping The case selection improves as the dimensions have all been confirmed.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I am putting all my faith in Power Support releasing the best case to ever be created. Mostly because they're the only company that seems to realize that you don't need a massive cut out for every loving port on your phone.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Josh Lyman posted:

Based on Apple's track record, it won't affect usability.

To that point the 6+ likely has a higher heat envelope because of the size , so the A8 will likely be clocked higher than the 6.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
I'll 100% vouch for any case Spigen makes, but mostly the tough armor line. Minimalist case designs, not super expensive, and easily as tough as an otter box. Their screen protectors are gorgeous too.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I've been awful at following all the iPhone stuff, but what exactly happens to multitasking on the 6 plus now that it has the screen shift functionality?

Edit: Oh apparently it's a soft tap of the home button. Interesting.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 12, 2014

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Vintimus Prime posted:

Android phones have been doing all sorts of weird subpixel rendering and downsampling on terribly underpowered hardware since like 2010

I don't think the scaling will be noticeable even to people who are looking for it this is apple

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Molten Llama posted:

Yes, the process is proprietary to GT.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, it's also hellaciously expensive to open up that kind of precision manufacturing where the infrastructure's not up to snuff. Most of what's going into your China-assembled tech toys is not coming from mainland China; it's frequently just not feasible to produce there. The shortest hop most components are making is from Taiwan or (South) Korea, both of which have had decades of development to meet the tech industry's current needs.

The Gorilla Glass on everyone's current phones was shipped to China too.

My laptop, phone, and Moto 360 all come from China - are you saying that the labels are inaccurate? Those seem like pretty difficult things to assemble.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
He's saying that some of the components are manufactured elsewhere and then shipped to China for assembly.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Redbubble's cases are cool. I'm getting this Dark Souls Bonfire because what makes an iPhone better? Dark Souls.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukejfrost/works/11984388-dark-souls-bonfire?p=iphone-case

How likely is it that a Gold Iphone 6 will have a higher resale value a year from now than the other types?

Edit: Those Spigen cases are very clean looking.

xian fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 12, 2014

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

How do I get this U2 album off my phone?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Baram posted:

How do I get this U2 album off my phone?

I had to delete it from iTunes on my Mac.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

xian posted:

How likely is it that a Gold Iphone 6 will have a higher resale value a year from now than the other types?

Probably not at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Silver it is! Boom. Technology money forked over to the technology gods (64gb silver 6)