Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Drinks on Zero VGS :guinness:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Zero VGS posted:

Against my better judgement I went to that job I turned down expecting to give them a free consultation in IT. The CFO grabs me and says "look, we want to hire you." So I'm like okay, then why did HR offer me less than I'm making now? And he said yeah, they made a big mistake. So I said okay, I keep my Lead Sys Engineer title, if I'm "downsized" I want two months salary, I want comp days for any overtime worked, and I want 80k base salary, not the 55k you guys were slinging.

He shook on it and said I'd have the written offer tomorrow morning. First time in my life I'm going to be paid what I'm worth.

Make sure you leave your current job on a good note. Spend your last few weeks documenting everything you can. Just brain dump as much as you can so the next guy doesn't start posting in here bitching about you.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Zero VGS posted:

Against my better judgement I went to that job I turned down expecting to give them a free consultation in IT. The CFO grabs me and says "look, we want to hire you." So I'm like okay, then why did HR offer me less than I'm making now? And he said yeah, they made a big mistake. So I said okay, I keep my Lead Sys Engineer title, if I'm "downsized" I want two months salary, I want comp days for any overtime worked, and I want 80k base salary, not the 55k you guys were slinging.

He shook on it and said I'd have the written offer tomorrow morning. First time in my life I'm going to be paid what I'm worth.

Like a boss

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

Make sure you leave your current job on a good note. Spend your last few weeks documenting everything you can. Just brain dump as much as you can so the next guy doesn't start posting in here bitching about you.

My current boss is the best boss I've had in my life so I won't leave him hanging. I'm going to have to figure out how to bill this cheapass hospital for consulting though because no matter how much I braindump I know they're going to need to ask me how I've juryrigged things. If they had paid to invest in the infrastructure in the last five years it wouldn't be held together with duct tape.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Awesome work Zero VGS :)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Pretty impressive stuff there. Nice work

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Congratulations! (conditional of you receiving the written offer!)

Make sure you negotiate a good hourly price with where you are now. Remember, they need you, you don't need them, and it's their own fault that they have made themselves dependent on you, not your fault.

Take your current lovely hourly rate there, add on costs for tax, healthcare and 1099 or whatever it is called in the US. Now multiply that by Pi. That is your new hourly rate, with a four hour minimum from when you receive an email or a call.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Zero VGS posted:

nice one :)

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
And make sure you say nothing to anyone at work (including your boss) until that offer letter comes in. In fact, act like nothing has happened at all, because until that offer letter is received and signed by both parties nothing has.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The only other thing I would have tried for is extra paid time off. I'm super spoiled by having 10 years in with my current company, and I get something absurd like 22 vacation, 8 sick, and 7 paid holidays off every year. No way I could go work someplace with only 10 vacation days. I've heard an extra week of vacation is pretty easy to negotiate as it really doesn't cost the company too much, but means a lot to the employee.

Echo'ing what others have said, make sure it's all in writing of course

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Finally got my start date at my new position (the 22nd). Now to tender my resignation at my old job, which should be easy because I haven't actually worked there since August of last year.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

psydude posted:

Finally got my start date at my new position (the 22nd). Now to tender my resignation at my old job, which should be easy because I haven't actually worked there since August of last year.

Where did you end up landing, still in DC/VA area?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

Where did you end up landing, still in DC/VA area?

Yeah. I try to get out, but they keep pulling me back in. I actually ignored the initial email from the recruiter because the position was out in Leesburg and I wasn't really qualified for it, but then she followed up with a call. Despite being perfectly candid about my qualifications during the interviews, they apparently loved me and decided to throw a bunch of money at me to go work there. Go figure.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sepist posted:

Hidden con to having a fat foodie boss: Recommending a place for lunch that he ends up hating may cost you your job, or at the least his trust. Guess he's not a fan of my sushi joint :( I just keep getting texts that say "your dead"

evol262 posted:

Respond "you're"

From a few pages back but this just happened:

Sent: Friday, September 12, 2014 10:49 AM
To: BOSS
Subject: UNTITLED.pptx

Would something like this help?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
IT Architect | Technology Architecture | Corporate IT

-----------------------------------------------

Sent: Friday, September 12, 2014 11:00 AM
To: Fiendish Dr. Wu
Subject: RE: UNTITLED.pptx

Your fired.

BOSS
Director, Technology Architecture - Corporate IT

-----------------------------------------------

You’re*

Fiendish Dr. Wu
IT Architect | Technology Architecture | Corporate IT

We're going out to lunch in a few minutes. He's buying.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Cisco rep took me out to an expensive meal, which was a wonderful gesture until I remembered that it's coming out of their margin. "Here, have a little bit of what you overpaid us back."

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Cisco rep took me out to an expensive meal, which was a wonderful gesture until I remembered that it's coming out of their margin. "Here, have a little bit of what you overpaid us back."

Kickbacks make the world go round, apparently.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Well the dinner goes directly to your stomach, the amount your company paid doesn't come out of your paycheck.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Well the dinner goes directly to your stomach, the amount your company paid doesn't come out of your paycheck.

He prefers to eat his raise upfront.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Maneki Neko posted:

https://isleaked.com/en.php seems to have a password that was never my password for my gmail account :confused:

Is there a way to show the passwords they're talking about? This just gives me a straight count...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

AlternateAccount posted:

Is there a way to show the passwords they're talking about? This just gives me a straight count...

You are viewing a redacted text file. If you dig around quote a bit you can supposedly find the file with all passwords. I found it somewhere but to download it I would have had to confirm over SMS on some Russian download site, yeah nope.

If you PM me I can give you the version I found that shows the first letter of each password, I guess that could work as a parlor trick to impress your friends.

Keep in mind, these aren't really Gmail passwords, they are just previously hacked sites where people submitted their Gmail to sign up. Maybe just 1 or 2 % of those passwords work on Gmail because those people use the same password for everything. Five million ain't that much in the grand scheme of Gmail I guess because neither me nor anyone I know was in the list.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Zero VGS posted:

You are viewing a redacted text file. If you dig around quote a bit you can supposedly find the file with all passwords. I found it somewhere but to download it I would have had to confirm over SMS on some Russian download site, yeah nope.

If you PM me I can give you the version I found that shows the first letter of each password, I guess that could work as a parlor trick to impress your friends.

Keep in mind, these aren't really Gmail passwords, they are just previously hacked sites where people submitted their Gmail to sign up. Maybe just 1 or 2 % of those passwords work on Gmail because those people use the same password for everything. Five million ain't that much in the grand scheme of Gmail I guess because neither me nor anyone I know was in the list.

There was a way to get a torrent that has the file with passwords included, you had to use some google cache trickery. FWIW I took a look at it and the one that came up for my gmail was a super old password.

Based on the grep stuff that I saw, I'm guessing mine got pulled from when HoN/S2 got hacked. An ex had hers in there too and we both played HoN.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

My guess is that the passwords were most likely hacked from other places, not from gmail directly. The password that they had for the gmail account in the spreadsheet was never my gmail password, but it was another password I've used for other things. So I went through and changed the password associated with that gmail account as well as every site where I used that password, even if my login wasn't my gmail.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So, I've followed this and the previous thread for a long time, but I've never really had anything to post in it...until now.

I've :yotj:'d from my retail job into a work from home tech support position. It's not much, but it's at least a foot in the door (and still better pay, if not a whole lot on its own.) Being less physically tired will hopefully get me to the gym more and more time to study for the MCSA. I'm really excited even if rather nervous. :toot:

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Garrand posted:

So, I've followed this and the previous thread for a long time, but I've never really had anything to post in it...until now.

I've :yotj:'d from my retail job into a work from home tech support position. It's not much, but it's at least a foot in the door (and still better pay, if not a whole lot on its own.) Being less physically tired will hopefully get me to the gym more and more time to study for the MCSA. I'm really excited even if rather nervous. :toot:

Hey good for you man! I work in retail currently and am trying to make the jump myself. It's kind of daunting to read this thread and have people talking about stuff that seems way over my head, so it's nice to see someone else who is just starting out themselves. Congrats and good luck in your new job/career! :)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Drunk Orc posted:

Hey good for you man! I work in retail currently and am trying to make the jump myself. It's kind of daunting to read this thread and have people talking about stuff that seems way over my head, so it's nice to see someone else who is just starting out themselves. Congrats and good luck in your new job/career! :)

BTW, how'd it turn out?

Garrand posted:

Being less physically tired will hopefully get me to the gym more and more time to study for the MCSA. I'm really excited even if rather nervous. :toot:

Hell yeah go to the gym and be the swole IT guy. Kill yourself on legs day because it doesn't matter you'll be sitting all day anyways!

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
It's going pretty ok I haven't gotten any offers or interviews yet but I've updated my resume to reflect some more technical responsibilities of my job. I also added volunteerish kind of stuff like helping friends/family/my neighborhood with PC repair and home networking. I'm hoping this will help me catch a contract and get some experience under my belt at least.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

It's going pretty ok I haven't gotten any offers or interviews yet but I've updated my resume to reflect some more technical responsibilities of my job. I also added volunteerish kind of stuff like helping friends/family/my neighborhood with PC repair and home networking. I'm hoping this will help me catch a contract and get some experience under my belt at least.

Any temp companies in your area? It's crappy backup this laptop and move outlook to new laptop but it's a start and they're usually done in a few days. Knock a few out and the contract companies will love you.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 6, 2016

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Methanar posted:

Don't condition your family to thinking you'll fix any electronic problems they have for free the way I did. It's nothing but an annoying headache

God help you if you add friends into it. I am not your personal tech support. I'm just gonna google it.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Any temp companies in your area? It's crappy backup this laptop and move outlook to new laptop but it's a start and they're usually done in a few days. Knock a few out and the contract companies will love you.

Like staffing agencies? I've applied through some job sites to short term contracts, like 3 months or less. I don't mind grunt work at all really, any chance to get some experience is what's important.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

jaegerx posted:

God help you if you add friends into it. I am not your personal tech support. I'm just gonna google it.

I turned friend tech support off a long time ago. This actually cropped up this week because my GF's friends are having issues and were all like 'hey come over and we'll have some beers. Give me your friend rate!"

I tried being polite but firm in saying that I flat out do not do tech support for friends, but I don't mind guiding someone to the right direction and resources. My friend rate is $100/hr more than my normal rate, which is already WAY higher than non IT think I cost, but in line with what I can charge for my expertise and time. Basically the number is so high, that without really giving them the rate, I tell them it would be cheaper to buy a new phone/tablet/laptop than to have me fix it.

The reason you run away from doing extended family, friends, and neighbor tech support is the dreaded 'WHATEVER YOU DID BROKE IT!" call or text a day or two later that they expect you to fix, and for free if there was money changing hands. No, whatever YOU did broke it, because when I last touched it, it was expertly configured and working properly.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Drunk Orc posted:

Like staffing agencies? I've applied through some job sites to short term contracts, like 3 months or less. I don't mind grunt work at all really, any chance to get some experience is what's important.

Go in and talk to one of them. These people make money off placing people into jobs. Email them directly and say you are willing to do anything. They will find you something cause they'll make a few bucks off of you.

E: but once you're established be a total dick to these assholes. They are seriously the scum of the industry and will place idiots like dilbert as gently caress into a job just to get their money.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 13, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone remember the link to the how-to video for removing a heatsink from a computer that eventually devolves to him using a clawhammer to pry it off?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Was it done by the same guy who would "adjust" capacitors by stabbing a screwdriver through them?

e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9xeG-cmcUs

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 13, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Was it done by the same guy who would "adjust" capacitors by stabbing a screwdriver through them?

That's the one!

I ended up rewatching the how-to basic video though. That one is always fun.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

jaegerx posted:

Go in and talk to one of them. These people make money off placing people into jobs. Email them directly and say you are willing to do anything. They will find you something cause they'll make a few bucks off of you.

E: but once you're established be a total dick to these assholes. They are seriously the scum of the industry and will place idiots like dilbert as gently caress into a job just to get their money.

Duly noted! Thanks for the advice.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Haha this guy is the best

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
:yotj: is now official: I start at Blizzard in 4 weeks.

:rock:

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Sarcasmatron posted:

:rock:

Fantastic! Congratulations!

Edited to add content:
What do you goons do to stay in shape while you're sitting all day? Smash the gym before work? Get up and walk every so often? I'm exhausted when I get home now so my after work plan isn't working. I'd like some advice.

meanieface fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Haha this guy is the best

I still can't tell if that guy is completely insane, or if they're an expertly done joke. Either way, they own. He's the Just Keep Tastin' of the PC repair world.

Sarcasmatron posted:

Congrats :cheers: Do you mind saying which type of position? I was eyeing the Linux admin jobs they had posted a month or two back as they sounded pretty drat awesome. But I'm not remotely in a place in my life to relocate to CA (family, house etc).

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 13, 2014