Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I like it, minus the rust of course. LX seats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007
Just picked up this car tonight. 1982 Mercedes Benz 300td. Turbo diesel with automatic.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does it have the awesome jump seats?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

New car then?

Yeah, the Jeep is replacing the Ranger. Soooo much more comfortable to drive, and it can Go Places. Might hurt to keep fuel in the tank though.

Asshole Bicycle
Nov 4, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

Does it have the awesome jump seats?

Nope, I wish. I'm going to try to find a retrofit online.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

MiniFoo posted:

posting my first car on this page while I still have the chance

I had the most fun autocrossing a $300 323. Co-drove with my friend and we were very competitive sliding the car around. 40psi in the tires until the steel belts appeared.

323 also took 1st in FSP this year against some very tough competition.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

CharlesM posted:

I like it, minus the rust of course. LX seats?

The original vinyl seats that burned your rear end on a hot summer day were replaced with dirt-cheap-but-excellent-condition cloth seats from a junkyard Protégé, along with an instrument cluster that actually had a tach, that center cupholder thing, and cruise control (except that we forgot to grab the clutch clip or whatever it is, so if the cruise was on and you clutched-in, the engine would redline). Surprisingly, the imgur album I made over three years ago is still online from when I sold it. I actually miss that car, and should have respected it more than I did as an idiot teenager.

Chriskory posted:

I had the most fun autocrossing a $300 323. Co-drove with my friend and we were very competitive sliding the car around. 40psi in the tires until the steel belts appeared.

323 also took 1st in FSP this year against some very tough competition.

I sometimes wish I had bought my Enkei RPF-1s before I sold the 323 so that I could try driving it around with actual grip. Even with those tiny, skinny, balding tires, it's really impressive how well the car handled for what it was. Related to the topic though:

A couple of years ago, waiting in line at DCTC auto-x. The smile on my face says it all. Too bad Giselle's in a retirement home out-of-state right now; the 2002 VW Passat I drive right now is boring as hell.

[edit] RE: snow-driving with rear-wheel drive... nth-ing the love for dedicated winter tires. I had a shitload of fun drifting around in my RX-7, and even starting on ice wasn't that bad at all.

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 12, 2014

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

meatpotato posted:

No transmission or interior (besides seats) in it right now --I'm working on finally completing the 5-speed swap I started 6 months ago :(. It does seem to have working (full disk) brakes now though!

$100 exhaust.

unnngghhhh Golf Yellow, my favourite color!

dernwiththesickess
Aug 7, 2014

Cage posted:

What the heck. Call HFM and complain.

Does that only have 1 wiper?

I can confirm it has 2.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

MiniFoo posted:

A couple of years ago, waiting in line at DCTC auto-x. The smile on my face says it all. Too bad Giselle's in a retirement home out-of-state right now; the 2002 VW Passat I drive right now is boring as hell.

What group was running auto-x at DCTC? I get into 'performance driving' thanks to that track and a teen car control clinic. Was there a couple weeks ago for a driving school.

Here's my old GTI doing the usual 3-wheel trick through a chicane on one of the back straights.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

MiniFoo posted:

The original vinyl seats that burned your rear end on a hot summer day were replaced with dirt-cheap-but-excellent-condition cloth seats from a junkyard Protégé, along with an instrument cluster that actually had a tach, that center cupholder thing, and cruise control (except that we forgot to grab the clutch clip or whatever it is, so if the cruise was on and you clutched-in, the engine would redline). Surprisingly, the imgur album I made over three years ago is still online from when I sold it. I actually miss that car, and should have respected it more than I did as an idiot teenager.

I sometimes wish I had bought my Enkei RPF-1s before I sold the 323 so that I could try driving it around with actual grip. Even with those tiny, skinny, balding tires, it's really impressive how well the car handled for what it was. Related to the topic though:

[edit] RE: snow-driving with rear-wheel drive... nth-ing the love for dedicated winter tires. I had a shitload of fun drifting around in my RX-7, and even starting on ice wasn't that bad at all.

There's a local guy who autoXes a first gen rx7 on old tires and he probably has the most fun of anyone I've ever seen. The car just slides everywhere. I tried to buy a fully prepped ITB class rx7 with 12a but the guy changed his mind at the last minute :/

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Crustashio posted:

There's a local guy who autoXes a first gen rx7 on old tires and he probably has the most fun of anyone I've ever seen. The car just slides everywhere. I tried to buy a fully prepped ITB class rx7 with 12a but the guy changed his mind at the last minute :/

I did a test-and-tune throwaway day with the old-rear end Bridgestones that came with the RX-7 when I bought it, and yeah, I was sliding all over the place and it loving owned. Problem is, I drove home and discovered the treads were literally disintegrating in the garage. Probably shouldn't have done that :|

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

aventari posted:

unnngghhhh Golf Yellow, my favourite color!

Maybe my eyes are just screwy, but isnt that colour green?

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Here's a crappy picture of my wagon. I'm probably gonna re-dip it since I made some mistakes and learned some stuff since I first did it.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

My new ride

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
My ride made it's debut of sorts. It is roadworthy again, rebuild complete, cooling issues sorted, electrical issues sorted, now I just need to upgrade brakes and suspension!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

crutt posted:

Here's a crappy picture of my wagon. I'm probably gonna re-dip it since I made some mistakes and learned some stuff since I first did it.

Is this the one that has the 5- or 6-speed swap?

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
No. T56's are pricey.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

crutt posted:

No. T56's are pricey.

Yes, but the LT1 ones are much cheaper than the LS1 ones! There was a poster on here who had a black Impala with the LT1 that he had swapped a T56 into; yours looks similar to his. Consider it a complement! I like the raised white letters on the black steel wheel look.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 252 days!)

vxskud posted:

My new ride

One of us! One of us! One of us! What year? Looks like a 99 or 2K.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Viggen posted:

Viggen you would like my town. Yesterday in the space of 30 minutes I saw 4 900s of various types, a 9-5 wagon, 2 9-3 sedans, and a 9000. That's a fairly average trip for me too, they are everywhere.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Terrible Robot posted:

Viggen you would like my town. Yesterday in the space of 30 minutes I saw 4 900s of various types, a 9-5 wagon, 2 9-3 sedans, and a 9000. That's a fairly average trip for me too, they are everywhere.

Meanwhile, I must be like 12% of this state. :cry:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Speaking of Saabs, should I replace my perfect running '02 civic with a '99ish 9-3 vert? The Civic is so boring but I do have to drive to work everyday so I need something reliable. I found this: http://cnj.craigslist.org/ctd/4654990062.html

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 14, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Fayez Butts posted:

Speaking of Saabs, should I replace my perfect running '02 civic with a '99ish 9-3 vert?

That B204L will probably outlive us all, and the 5 speed tranny isn't bad, either. I'd be a little concerned about the tops' functionality, though.

That said- go for it.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Viggen posted:

A 2001 with about 156k kms,needs an o² sensor and some minor bodywork around the rear wheels but I absolutely love saabs.

Got it for a nice price too.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

DILLIGAF posted:

My ride made it's debut of sorts. It is roadworthy again, rebuild complete, cooling issues sorted, electrical issues sorted, now I just need to upgrade brakes and suspension!

I need to know more things about this like what drivetrain it has, at least!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Washed and waxed both the cars (not the truck) today since it was a sub-70-degree day and I actually had a couple of hours to spare. Might be the last time I get them waxed before I move to the new house in a couple of months.
The Genesis looks dirty, but it's just got that much metal flake in the paint.
Cell phone photos ahead:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Cheap beaters are the best beaters.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Fart Pipe posted:

I need to know more things about this like what drivetrain it has, at least!

It's a U-code car. 402 BBC, TH400 3-speed auto with the slaptick, 12bolt posi rear.

The motor now has forged pistons, connectors and crank, ported heads, Edelbrock performer plus cam and solid lifter kit. New rods, springs, rockers, oil pump, fuel pump, radiator and twin electric fan setup, Holley 8670 Street Avenger carb. Headers and 3" stainless true duals into a pair of Thrush mufflers.

Still trying to get it tuned properly, but it will chirp the tires as it changes gears each to so... yeah. Fun!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

DILLIGAF posted:

It's a U-code car. 402 BBC, TH400 3-speed auto with the slaptick, 12bolt posi rear.

The motor now has forged pistons, connectors and crank, ported heads, Edelbrock performer plus cam and solid lifter kit. New rods, springs, rockers, oil pump, fuel pump, radiator and twin electric fan setup, Holley 8670 Street Avenger carb. Headers and 3" stainless true duals into a pair of Thrush mufflers.

Still trying to get it tuned properly, but it will chirp the tires as it changes gears each to so... yeah. Fun!

Nice! Thats awesome as poo poo!

doogle
May 24, 2003

245/275s front/rear and I actually washed it!

doogle fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 24, 2014

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Bought my first ever actually new car yesterday.

'14 Dodge Charger SXT Redline RWD. I didn't opt for the HEMI, the Pentastar + 8-speed auto has plenty of power, at least for me. It felt gigantic at first but I got used to it quickly, helped by excellent steering feedback and a good driving position. It's a 4000lbs American tank but doesn't handle like one, and it's easy to push to it's limits. It was between this and a cheaper '15 Mazda6 Touring - which was down on power but had enough merits (really, it was loving nice) to keep it in the running - but when I pressured both dealers on price Dodge was willing to bargain way, way down to the Mazda's territory which sealed the deal for me. Most importantly it's got BEATS™ BY DRE

If anyone is wondering about the G55 that derailed the Benz thread for like weeks - it bombed the inspection. The dealership's mechanics even recognized it from previous work and told me to stay far away. Eventually I got tired of looking at sketchy luxury used cars and lowered my expectations/budget. This time.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

LotsaGoons posted:

RWD snow
Already covered, but any excuse to post a pic:
SD 120 Ice Crossing Riverhurst 6 by Execudork, on Flickr
I try to drive across a frozen river and a frozen lake at least once each winter.

Note that this is no longer my ride, she died. :(

We have many, many Subarus and 4x4 pickups & SUVs here, but they're not actually necessary. The overconfidence of some AWD or 4WD drivers is pretty funny, there's a common joke around here about getting the Chevy to pull the Ford out, then getting the Dodge to pull the Chevy, then walking to the nearest farm to get a tractor to pull everybody out.

cursedshitbox posted:

Cheap beaters are the best beaters.
I would like to know more about this car. Last week I saw a 2.3 190E (White) and it looked very attractive.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

ExecuDork posted:

I would like to know more about this car. Last week I saw a 2.3 190E (White) and it looked very attractive.

its old, slow, and fun to drive.

92'. 2.6. The jeep is actually faster. I'm going to 3.2 24v swap it soonish. Its just 240d slow. miserable.
the wheels are from a 95 e420, as are the brakes.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

What I like more than anything about the current Charger are the rear lights. It's weird to see cops around here driving a car that looks so cool at night compared to the old crown vics. That was on my short list a few years ago too but the size/mpg and being rwd worked against it since I already have a rwd car. If I could only have one car for everything though I think that would have been it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Are you wearing a cape? Or did Darth Vader take this picture?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

davebo posted:

What I like more than anything about the current Charger are the rear lights. It's weird to see cops around here driving a car that looks so cool at night compared to the old crown vics. That was on my short list a few years ago too but the size/mpg and being rwd worked against it since I already have a rwd car. If I could only have one car for everything though I think that would have been it.

Do you have some sort of quota on RWD cars? I have two already and I'm just getting started!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Yes.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Motronic posted:

Bathrobe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, I guess I can buy that.