Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Look all we want is a turbo model. That's not a lot to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Coredump posted:

That would certainly be welcome. Not required, but I don't think anyone would complain!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Since I still have at least a year with my brz I'm going to install a Perrin exhaust ($850) and a kn air filter ($46). I used to have a big boner over the $550 wholesale price magnaflow cat back but the Perrin build quality looks amazing and the sound seems a bit better. Tempted to get that oft ecu tuner too since I can easily resell that down the road. Any other cheapish popular mods? Part of me wants to blow $600 on tires ,$800 on 18 inch wheels and adjust the camber so the car looks a little more aggressive and fills out the wheel wells better.. But that's purely for aesthetics, the handling is great as is.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Coredump posted:

Who is "we" exactly here? We as in people who would actually buy a 30-40k Subaru?

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 11, 2014

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

Who is "we" exactly here? We as in people who would actually buy a 30-40k Subaru?

Look if Mazda could go from a 5 speed to 6 speed transmission and add turbo for less than a grand, then Toyota/Subaru can add just turbo for $2,000. Get that 40k out of here as it has no basis in reality.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

coolskillrex remix posted:

Since I still have at least a year with my brz I'm going to install a Perrin exhaust ($850) and a kn air filter ($46).

You buy that stuff yet? I can likely save you a few bucks.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Coredump posted:

Look if Mazda could go from a 5 speed to 6 speed transmission and add turbo for less than a grand, then Toyota/Subaru can add just turbo for $2,000. Get that 40k out of here as it has no basis in reality.

Why don't you send your suggestions to Subaru then instead of constantly making silly claims here

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Since I still have at least a year with my brz I'm going to install a Perrin exhaust ($850) and a kn air filter ($46). I used to have a big boner over the $550 wholesale price magnaflow cat back but the Perrin build quality looks amazing and the sound seems a bit better. Tempted to get that oft ecu tuner too since I can easily resell that down the road. Any other cheapish popular mods? Part of me wants to blow $600 on tires ,$800 on 18 inch wheels and adjust the camber so the car looks a little more aggressive and fills out the wheel wells better.. But that's purely for aesthetics, the handling is great as is.

The K&N filter didn't really do anything for me. No discernible difference over the stock filter. Not even a sound difference.

Biggest mod I've done was swapping out the lovely bridgestone all seasons the car comes with when you buy it in the colder months up north with Pilot Super Sports in the stock size. It made a big difference in the way the car feels (and in my opinion a good difference)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

Why don't you send your suggestions to Subaru then instead of constantly making silly claims here

How are they silly?

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Cream_Filling posted:

That attitude is exactly why we don't have an enhanced model.

Way too much denial among owners. Theres room for improvement. Be vocal about it and hopefully they'll listen.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

howling_mad posted:

Way too much denial among owners. Theres room for improvement. Be vocal about it and hopefully they'll listen.

Just like how Porsche keeps releasing faster Caymans right?

Seriously this has been discussed to death at the beginning of the thread.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Coredump posted:

You're conveniently glossing over that they put in as much effort, and did about as good a job adding a turbo to the Miata as a high schooler would adding boost to their ratty Civic. Plus I'm pretty sure Mazda had already developed the 6 speed for use in the rx-8 so it was an off the shelf part for them. Add to that that the Miata had been around for quite a while by then and already had a super rabid fan base, they knew they would have buyers.

On the surface it seems like a pretty straight up comparison but it really isn't from a logistical standpoint.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Subaru already has a turbo engine they can put in this. Wouldn't be surprised to hear it is happening sometime soon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

howling_mad posted:

No, it's not going to do anything. They've already unequivocally said that there will not be an up-rated engine model. They would need toyota input on the project if they wanted to retain the port injection with the direct injection and that's not going to happen. You also can't simply drop in the FA20 turbo from the WRX. The packaging constraints make the project difficult to begin with. Beyond that though, from what I understand there's a hell of a lot more Toyota in the car than them providing the injection system. There would likely be significant electrical reworking to make everything interface properly.

With this car, you essentially have subaru providing the shortblock and chassis and Toyota filling in the rest. Swapping engines for the existing FA20 Turbo means you are going to have to make systems never designed to integrate talk to each other. So, you either spend money and effort doing that or you go further down the rabbit hole and start replacing more of the Toyota bits with more Subaru bits until you are essentially left with a different car in the same chassis shell with an R&D bill that makes the project unmarketable.

More power isn't going to come unless the whole car is redesigned but I think we're all pretty much sure that this is going to be a dead ended model after the Toyota/Subaru partnership cools.

So the choices are be content with the car as is, be content with he mild gains you can get with small mods, go big and dump a bunch of money in the car for gains that may leave it less than reliable, go super crazy and swap an LS1 into it, or buy a different car.

There's merit in the argument that they may have undershot a bit with power delivery. The chassis can certainly handle a bit more and it would be neat to see what the car could be like with more power from the factory. But there's no point in tilting at windmills. The car is what it is and if it doesn't scratch your itch, there are plenty of other vehicles out there.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Elephanthead posted:

I imagine that all 208 previous pages are the same as this one arguing about more power or not and how you are a jerk for not liking the car as is or Toyotabrua are jerks for not giving you torques.

No, some of them are about how the fuel pump makes weird cricket noises

Calidus posted:

Getting 200hp out of a 2L engine is pretty insane.

Friar Zucchini posted:

Meanwhile, VW can't even get 120 out of their 2.slow Jetta, yet even with a wheezy 115 hp it's a compact sedan that doesn't get 30mpg highway. Even the Toyobaru is supposed to be a sporty fun car and it gets better fuel economy than that with almost twice the power out of the same displacement.

Meanwhile, the big motorcycle companies are pushing the 200HP mark out of 1.0 liter NA engines, output at or exceeding 200HP is common with the 1.6l turbos around the market, and perhaps most significantly Ford's super-light 1.0l turbo beats the FRS-BRS on torque for something like the first 6000 RPM of the rev range. 100hp/l isn't impressive at all any more and especially if you abandoned NA you could squeeze far more HP out of the Toyobaru engine bay even if you had to cut displacement to maintain the weight balance.

E: and just a reminder, the complaint from the vast majority isn't about peak HP, it's about torque. If the FRS/BRZ had 200HP at a lower RPM with a fatter overall torque curve (especially around that 4k RPM mark) it would get a lot less complaints

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 11, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I like modifying my car, and a 2L NA is not going to give good returns on money spent modifying it.

I could spend $850 on an exhaust for this thing, or spend $850 on a computer and a tune for what I have and make twice the power, make more low torque, and have a mid range that actually climbs the dyno graph instead of flatlining.

this is on a 20 year old SR20DET.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bull3964 posted:

No, it's not going to do anything. They've already unequivocally said that there will not be an up-rated engine model. They would need toyota input on the project if they wanted to retain the port injection with the direct injection and that's not going to happen. You also can't simply drop in the FA20 turbo from the WRX. The packaging constraints make the project difficult to begin with. Beyond that though, from what I understand there's a hell of a lot more Toyota in the car than them providing the injection system. There would likely be significant electrical reworking to make everything interface properly.

With this car, you essentially have subaru providing the shortblock and chassis and Toyota filling in the rest. Swapping engines for the existing FA20 Turbo means you are going to have to make systems never designed to integrate talk to each other. So, you either spend money and effort doing that or you go further down the rabbit hole and start replacing more of the Toyota bits with more Subaru bits until you are essentially left with a different car in the same chassis shell with an R&D bill that makes the project unmarketable.

More power isn't going to come unless the whole car is redesigned but I think we're all pretty much sure that this is going to be a dead ended model after the Toyota/Subaru partnership cools.

So the choices are be content with the car as is, be content with he mild gains you can get with small mods, go big and dump a bunch of money in the car for gains that may leave it less than reliable, go super crazy and swap an LS1 into it, or buy a different car.

There's merit in the argument that they may have undershot a bit with power delivery. The chassis can certainly handle a bit more and it would be neat to see what the car could be like with more power from the factory. But there's no point in tilting at windmills. The car is what it is and if it doesn't scratch your itch, there are plenty of other vehicles out there.

To add to that, Subaru wasn't even able to debut the new STi with a hatchback bodystyle even though STi hatches made up a significant proportion of previous sti sales, likely due to some combination of limited engineering resources and production capacity. So a turbo version in the future which requires significant re-engineering is unlikely. This is in part because Subaru is pretty small for a car company, and right now Subaru is pretty much putting up record sales numbers every month and so is spending heavily to increase production. This also means less money to go around for engineering, especially as they struggle to improve fuel economy which is hurt both by AWD and by aging engine tech, the latter in part due to less R&D resources compared to bigger car companies.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 12, 2014

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I've always suspected that Subaru isn't interested in cannibalizing their own WRX/STi sales by introducing a FI BRZ. Toyota probably barely notices the sales numbers of theirs to care enough to engineer one.

I love my STi, but I would trade it in for a factory turbo'ed BRZ in a heartbeat. I drove a base FR-S from about 4/12 to 5/13, and I think it drove pretty great. I just got tired of the first-model-year issues, as I got to experience a lot of them before a lot of other lucky owners. If I had to drive a problem-free stock 86 or stock STi for the rest of my life, honestly I'd probably go with the 86.

Also, STi versions of the BRZ would likely include more than upgraded gofast bits. If their WRX line is any indication, they'd likely put a bigger brake kit, new suspension, and better wheels on it. Not to mention the extra body work. Interior would still be awful though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Especially since the WRX/STi is probably cheaper to make due to increased economies of scale from sharing parts and engineering with their volume seller Impreza.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Linux Nazi posted:

I've always suspected that Subaru isn't interested in cannibalizing their own WRX/STi sales by introducing a FI BRZ. Toyota probably barely notices the sales numbers of theirs to care enough to engineer one.

Let's be real, Toyota probably barely notices the sales numbers of all of Scion combined

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

Let's be real, Toyota probably barely notices the sales numbers of all of Scion combined

My favorite thing about Scion is how it was started as a marketing effort to try and lower Toyota's average buyer age but they almost ended up increasing it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

My favorite thing about Scion is how it was started as a marketing effort to try and lower Toyota's average buyer age but they almost ended up increasing it.

When I was working at a Toyota/Scion dealership, 75% of the people looking at XBs and TCs were in their 30s-40s. Nobody looked at the XAs no matter what their age. :haw:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

HotCanadianChick posted:

When I was working at a Toyota/Scion dealership, 75% of the people looking at XBs and TCs were in their 30s-40s. Nobody looked at the XAs no matter what their age. :haw:

I say almost because the average age of a Camry buyer last gen was like 60.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Friar Zucchini posted:

Meanwhile, VW can't even get 120 out of their 2.slow Jetta, yet even with a wheezy 115 hp it's a compact sedan that doesn't get 30mpg highway. Even the Toyobaru is supposed to be a sporty fun car and it gets better fuel economy than that with almost twice the power out of the same displacement.

The Toyobaru Thread: At least we didn't by VWs

You're probably better off spending the exhaust money on an overpiper/underpipe if you're doing a tune. But you make me wonder, has anyone here actually gotten the OFT tune?

Laserface posted:

I like modifying my car, and a 2L NA is not going to give good returns on money spent modifying it.

I could spend $850 on an exhaust for this thing, or spend $850 on a computer and a tune for what I have and make twice the power, make more low torque, and have a mid range that actually climbs the dyno graph instead of flatlining.

this is on a 20 year old SR20DET.

gently caress yo Nissan op :parrot:

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Im in CA, im too chickenshit to use a catless front pipe (which is when id install the overpipe)..

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Do people not know that there is a Toyota homologated supercharger kit for these cars? Subaru clearly wont boost the BRZ because of the WRX/ STI but Toyota are a) providing kits and B) have the FT86 homolgated for FIA schedules and even WRC. They are clearly interested in getting a faster FT86 out there.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Now I'm imagining a rally Toyobaru and grinning like an idiot. Thanks, Cat Terrist.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mat_Drinks posted:

gently caress yo Nissan op :parrot:

Thats basically the look I get from other drivers.

Cat Terrist posted:

Do people not know that there is a Toyota homologated supercharger kit for these cars? Subaru clearly wont boost the BRZ because of the WRX/ STI but Toyota are a) providing kits and B) have the FT86 homolgated for FIA schedules and even WRC. They are clearly interested in getting a faster FT86 out there.

You mean the one that is $20k to buy, with a minimum order of two, and has no warranty and voids the cars warranty? There was also some other stipulations that basically limited the purchasing of the SC kit to race teams only.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

You mean the one that is $20k to buy, with a minimum order of two, and has no warranty and voids the cars warranty? There was also some other stipulations that basically limited the purchasing of the SC kit to race teams only.

This is the only info I could find on it and loving hell those forums are poo poo. But yeah it looks like a part developed for a race series not something for a roadcar at all.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Laserface posted:

Do you honestly think it'll remain homologation only? (It wont be apparently). And the point isnt just this is a race item, but Toyota has real interest in faster FT86's. If people are disappointed inthe present power, it may not be a long wait for something more.

quote:

Now I'm imagining a rally Toyobaru and grinning like an idiot. Thanks, Cat Terrist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDQlJnEWYwo

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cat Terrist posted:

Do you honestly think it'll remain homologation only? (It wont be apparently). And the point isnt just this is a race item, but Toyota has real interest in faster FT86's. If people are disappointed inthe present power, it may not be a long wait for something more.

So what you're saying is, Toyota should have bought a Mustang.

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

Mat_Drinks posted:

Has anyone here actually gotten the OFT tune?

I have the Open Flash Tablet and run a stage 1 tune, which is just a stock re-tune. It's well worth the $500 and easily resold if you don't like it. It's hard to conceptualize how bad the stock tune is with that crazy torque dip. The stage 1 tune gives you back all the missing torque and the car feels so much better. Stage 2 is just replacing the headers, which is where you are going to find any back-end HP.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Laserface posted:

Thats basically the look I get from other drivers.

;-*

Black Is Black posted:

I have the Open Flash Tablet and run a stage 1 tune, which is just a stock re-tune. It's well worth the $500 and easily resold if you don't like it. It's hard to conceptualize how bad the stock tune is with that crazy torque dip. The stage 1 tune gives you back all the missing torque and the car feels so much better. Stage 2 is just replacing the headers, which is where you are going to find any back-end HP.

drat, all of it? Right on. Thanks for the feedback, you had rec'd the OFT before, but I didn't get from that post that you actually had it. I'll have to look into getting one soon.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

not enough sliding, 7/10

:fap:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Snowdens Secret posted:

No, some of them are about how the fuel pump makes weird cricket noises

Meanwhile, the big motorcycle companies are pushing the 200HP mark out of 1.0 liter NA engines

Yes, i spent the last two weekends rebuilding one of these bike engines. It made it almost 9000 miles before failing catastrophically and needing a rebuild. How would you like your hypothetical FRS to need a cylinder head refresh and main bearings every other oil change?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Yes, i spent the last two weekends rebuilding one of these bike engines. It made it almost 9000 miles before failing catastrophically and needing a rebuild. How would you like your hypothetical FRS to need a cylinder head refresh and main bearings every other oil change?

It would be fun to drive then, at least.

Also, 9k is an early death. And also not unknown in a car or truck.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Yes, i spent the last two weekends rebuilding one of these bike engines. It made it almost 9000 miles before failing catastrophically and needing a rebuild.

Which brand of Italian bike was it?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Moto Guzzi :haw:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
more like Moto Guzzles Cylinders and Bearings amirite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
The point is low compression, high tolerance simple sturdy parts are bad for power, but it's the reason you can see 30 year old AE86s still running whereas bikes and race cars need frequent, expensive maintenance. At this price point people expect their 4 cylinder Japanese car to cost less than 27,000 dollars, return 25 miles to the gallon, carry a dog in the back and run for 200,000 miles.

You got the car you asked for, and you're very angry about it :smugbert:

• Locked thread