Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
All I know is that Seth Green is loving pocket sized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Terminally Bored posted:

Late Night is full of sub-par indie crap. Of the more recent ones the most hilariously bad one was Future Islands on Letterman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ee4bfu_t3c
(the bass player has a dead-eye stare through the whole song)

I'm not sure why they even bother with the music acts in the age of youtube, does their target audience really watch late night talk shows?

EXCUSE ME?!

I actually became a fan of that band from the Letterman appearance. Also, speaking of which, if you didn't watch Billy Eichner and Dave yelling at each other last night then you need to find that clip and enjoy yourself.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

-Atom- posted:

EXCUSE ME?!

I actually became a fan of that band from the Letterman appearance.

Good for you, I guess.

Sometimes I wish Conan would do a weekly show with only remotes, game reviews and random poo poo. The talk part of his show is really stiff and boring. Not to mention the monologue.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Terminally Bored posted:

The talk part of his show is really stiff and boring.

For what it's worth, the longer interview format that he does for online-only can be pretty good... there was a roundtable discussion of Simpsons writers recently that was great!

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah, I really like Serious Jibber Jabber. Conan's a really good interviewer but it's obvious he doesn't care about most of his celebrity guests. The episode with Mel Brooks was great, especially the WWII anecdote.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Terminally Bored posted:

Yeah, I really like Serious Jibber Jabber. Conan's a really good interviewer but it's obvious he doesn't care about most of his celebrity guests. The episode with Mel Brooks was great, especially the WWII anecdote.

The scrapisode has some funny bits, but the real thing I took away from that is that Conan really gives zero fucks about anything. Also he has to carry a security guitar around with him at all times, which is really loving weird.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

counterfeitsaint posted:

The scrapisode has some funny bits, but the real thing I took away from that is that Conan really gives zero fucks about anything. Also he has to carry a security guitar around with him at all times, which is really loving weird.

Or you know, he likes to dick around at rehearsals and occasionally plays guitar out of boredom.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of "not giving a gently caress", Letterman finally got perked up by Billy Eichner. It tickles me to no end that I share a love of Billy on the Street with David Letterman; I somehow wouldn't have expected that out of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDK6p1-tX5s

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Terminally Bored posted:

Late Night is full of sub-par indie crap. Of the more recent ones the most hilariously bad one was Future Islands on Letterman:

I'm not sure why they even bother with the music acts in the age of youtube, does their target audience really watch late night talk shows?

Holy poo poo this performance is absolute garbage. Reminds of a really terrible act on Conan a year or so ago.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Terminally Bored posted:

That guy has a terminal case of IDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDaFMZfIsV4

As for terrible acts on Late Night... Jonathan Richman. Another IDS sufferer, I don't know how else to explain this rear end in a top hat (who isn't even Pablo Picasso) getting over for 30 years now, or why Conan slobbers his knob, but this was and still remains laughably terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI4-z4m-wXc

On the plus side, young, clean-shaven Jimmy Vivino sitting in!

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

I'm going to miss Craig & Geoff so much when they're gone.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
That Jonathan Richman video above was my first exposure to him, way back in '96. It was a bad first impression; I've been watching more of his Late Night performances, and I hate to admit, he's grown on me. Here's a little gem: A performance plus interview from 1994, in Conan's 51st week on the air. Set Chat: By now Conan's set has had the extra large "windows" added. Also note the full-screen credits, and Andy on the camera. Cute little show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmbhOa8NdG8

edit: At the end Conan announces the birth of keyboardist Scott Healey's son. He turned 20 this week. :corsair:

pwn fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 14, 2014

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Terminally Bored posted:

Who gave Greg Kelly a band and why is it allowed on television

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That Future Islands song is good and that performance is great. Dave is super into it so that's how I know I'm right

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I liked Dave's annoyance at not being able to perform Eagles' songs.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Future Islands is awesome, condolences to goons for their terrible taste in everything.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The music wasn't bad, but it loses a lot when you see the paunchy, balding, middle-aged lead singer frugging on stage.

Apropos of nothing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Lv97_ero0

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Brock Samson posted:

Future Islands is awesome, condolences to goons for their terrible taste in everything.

Irish Joe posted:

The music wasn't bad, but it loses a lot when you see the paunchy, balding, middle-aged lead singer frugging on stage.

That song is so vanilla it makes Al Green or Delfonics sound like Randy Savage. Hookless soulless dreck for Pitchfork generation. Late night is full of that kind of crap.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh man, Timothy Olyphant's interview on Conan tonight was glorious. It felt like one of Conan's old Late Night interviews from years and years ago. Olyphant came out in shorts and a t-shirt and the whole thing was basically him and Conan shooting the poo poo and cracking jokes with each other the whole time. It was easily the best interview Conan's done in a long time.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That sex expert on Conan last night just brought a few kegs of awkward, didn't she? Her props were bizarre, and she seemed totally uncomfortable with even saying the word "penis". Was that some insanity from higher up at TBS or something? It's not like guests aren't way more vulgar all the time, and they aren't even trying to explain sex medically.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Was she a youtube personality or something? That might be her schtick. The sex-ed lady who's uncomfortable with sex. You know, kinda like how Richard Simmons is an out-of-shape aerobics instructor who's totally-not-gay.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
All I know is that will someone please make a gif of the "Can't laugh because it's too hot outside wife" on Conan licking the ice cream off her fingers and his befuddled reaction because it was the funniest part of the episode for me.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S
I started a new position at work this last month which allows me to go in an hour later in the morning, so I've been using my extra hour at night to check out Late Night with Seth Meyers a little more. Since the thread has been quiet for awhile I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents for the sake of conversation:

-In my opinion, his new set is the best looking in late night. I find myself more willing to watch a mediocre show simply because it's so pretty, so thats an improvement I guess.

-SM has the worst monologue in late night (I don't watch Fallon, so I can't compare there). Unlike Conan, who can sell a bad joke better than anyone, Seth just stands there grinning innanely. The crowd seems regularly underwhelmed too. The whole thing is really uncomfortable to watch. That being said, he's completely the opposite behind the desk. He does a great job speaking to the audience on these segments and comes across as much more comfortable.

-The band, and the show, is much better without Armisen. The theme song still sucks, but at least they mix up the set list to include some stuff other than just 90's garage rock crap. I also like how the lead guitarist throws in some soloing at the end of the intro, it gives things a little bit more of a classic feel.

-The skits so far are mostly horrible, but I will point out that it seems like they're trying to do some in-set, surreal or goofy character driven bits which were Conan's bread and butter in his iteration of Late Night. They fail for the most part, but at least they are trying something that I think is in the right direction, so I hope they keep it up. Someone on here had mentioned awhile back that these fail mainly due to poor performance from the interns or whoever that are doing the bits and I would have to agree with that. Meyers isn't exactly a killer front man to begin with, so he could use a better supporting cast. Anyway, ultimately I like that they're at least trying so I hope it gets better.

-He needs a sidekick. While he does a great job on the face-to-face segments from behind the desk, everywhere else it feels like hes drowning and there's no one to throw him a life raft. Armisen arguably made the show worse, so I'm not sure what they could do to help here. At least a little more banter with the band or camera crew, anyone, really, would help I think.

So, that's my current thoughts on Seth Meyer's Late Night. Sorry for the wall of text, I have a lot of downtime at work and apparently this is what I think about all day...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

-He needs a sidekick. While he does a great job on the face-to-face segments from behind the desk, everywhere else it feels like hes drowning and there's no one to throw him a life raft. Armisen arguably made the show worse, so I'm not sure what they could do to help here. At least a little more banter with the band or camera crew, anyone, really, would help I think.

Who's the best late night sidekick: Geoffry Peterson, Guillermo or Andy Richter?

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Irish Joe posted:

Who's the best late night sidekick: Geoffry Peterson.

This isn't even a question.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I am TV's Craig Ferguson and this is Celebrity Name Game.

:negative:

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S

Irish Joe posted:

Who's the best late night sidekick: Geoffry Peterson, Guillermo or Andy Richter?

It's hard for me to say who is "best", per se, since they're all great in their own ways and fit their particular niches well.

Guillermo is god-damned adorable and everything he does makes me smile, even when he's not trying to do anything.
Andy is probably my personal favorite, but Conan has been my long time favorite late night show so I'm predisposed to like him best. But, I've also been watching Conan since the mid 90's so I feel like I'm more familiar with Andy, too.
I like Geoffry, I don't catch the LLS every night, but I do watch it from time to time. I think the brilliance there is the interplay between the 2 that Craig brings to it.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 23, 2014

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

I know it's a "lame" game show, but isn't this just something you know Craig will be great at?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DominoDancing posted:

I know it's a "lame" game show, but isn't this just something you know Craig will be great at?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

DominoDancing posted:

A lame game show can be absolutely rescued by a good host, and Craig is a great host. From what I understand, this is something Craig's been shopping around for a while, too, so he actually gives a crap about it and isn't going to sleepwalk through it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the other hand... Courtney Cox? David Arquette? Did we fall through a timewarp to 2000? At least Lisa Kudrow has a show to promote.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Irish Joe posted:

Write in candidate Steve Higgins.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Megazver posted:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I think you're being a bit rough on the show. He's a fantastic game show host, he's always so invested in the contestants. He practically showed more excitement than the Price is Right contestants when him and Drew traded shows.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

CraigyFerg has an EP credit on Celebrity Name Game so you know he's putting everything he has into it. I saw the premiere last night it's not terrible but if you aren't up on pop culture you are going to have a bad time.

I only caught the end bonus round where the contestants had to give the celebrity guests clues to the celebrity names on the big board. They mix it between words and pictures so if you didn't recognize Zack Galifianakis you would have a hard time giving out a clue.

While the contestants were trying to run the board in their short time frame Craig was pacing around in the background like he does when he brings audience members on stage at LLS. Of course, the first episode the contestants won the $20K prize and Craig lost his poo poo with excitement like he did when he hosted TPIR earlier this year.

I dunno if it has staying power like Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy and Family Fued which it would be up against but I'm all for a resurgence of game shows. It's a much needed change from the pablum of entertainment/gossip news shows, court shows and the umpteenth rerun of Two and Half Goddamned Men.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 23, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Brock Samson posted:

Write in candidate wins this round hands down.

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

On the other hand... Courtney Cox? David Arquette? Did we fall through a timewarp to 2000? At least Lisa Kudrow has a show to promote.
They're executive producers, so that explains it. No idea why they decided to give Cheri Oteri a call. It's a pleasant enough, low rent version of Hollywood Game Night.

Jack Hanna was on Dave last night. The image of him clinging onto a camel while yelling for Dave pretty much encapsulates the 'Jack Hanna on Letterman' experience, in my opinion.

Also, Beck sucks.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

It's a fun show, Craig is perfect for the Host role, and he even gets to give clues. What more can you ask for?

I've been scoring the web for the clip where the contestant couldn't remember Criag's name, I hope it will be up soon. His reaction is great.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Brock Samson posted:

Who is that?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dr Tran posted:

Who is that?
The announcer on Fallon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Reggie Watts

E: Hannibal Buress