Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Theoretically, the costs to the carrier for making a minute of phone call isn't incurred from the tower to you, it's from the tower to their switches to everywhere else. So Wi-Fi calling is available free to you as a convenience in case your connection to their tower isn't the best. Theoretically.

Endless Mike posted:

It's definitely not baseband level since I'm using wifi calling on a Verizon iPhone 5s with iOS 8 GM on T-Mo.

Just curious, what exactly did you think the iOS 8 GM does to your phone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

api call girl posted:

Just curious, what exactly did you think the iOS 8 GM does to your phone?
You're right. That was a dumb post. In my defense, I was pretty buzzed when I made it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
old news, never mind.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 11, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I posted an iPhone preordering discussion thread to collect some of the more frequent questions. Carrier-specific stuff will hopefully still remain here, but the preordering thread should take care of the other stuff. :shobon:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'm adding my brother onto my plan and he wants to get a new phone through T-Mobile's EIP. Does it make a difference if I order the phone before I add his line and then give him the phone when it arrives and his plan is instated? He wants the iPhone 6 so it would be a load off my shoulders if I could pre-order the phone without also having to add the line and port his number at the same time.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The correct way to do it would be to add the line when you preorder. The port doesn't get initiated until the new phone is activated anyway, so it's not like his phone would stop working for the next week.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Just curious, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 I bought back in Feb/Jan on the Jump plan, and became eligable for upgrade this past August. I've been specifically waiting to see what was announced for the iPhone, and am planning on purchasing the iPhone 6 32GB model.

How will this purchase work if I purchase the phone as part of the Jump plan and then immediately cancel said plan?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Wicaeed posted:

Just curious, I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 I bought back in Feb/Jan on the Jump plan, and became eligable for upgrade this past August. I've been specifically waiting to see what was announced for the iPhone, and am planning on purchasing the iPhone 6 32GB model.

How will this purchase work if I purchase the phone as part of the Jump plan and then immediately cancel said plan?

You'd probably owe whatever you didn't pay off on the phone...so the full amount.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Wicaeed posted:

planning on purchasing the iPhone 6 32GB model.
Good luck.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm gonna be on a trip over the launch weekend and probably gonna go to the store on that next tuesday. How fast do the local shops get restocked. I'm switching from Verizon so I can't go to the apple store, atleast I don't think I can.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

blakout posted:

I'm gonna be on a trip over the launch weekend and probably gonna go to the store on that next tuesday. How fast do the local shops get restocked. I'm switching from Verizon so I can't go to the apple store, atleast I don't think I can.

Good loving luck. I don't know how the 5s launch went, but the 5 launch left every store around me empty for months before they were plentiful.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

And I can't go to the apple store for this if I'm switching carriers?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

blakout posted:

I don't think apple stores can break the phone up into payments, but i could be wrong. You could activate at apple with a new temporary number and then come to a store to have your number moved over from verizon and replace the temporary number.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Does anyone know what the deal is with common shortcodes on TMobile? I'm finding some conflicting info, but a lot of people saying they're completely blocked on prepaid plans.

I really want to switch, but it might be a deal breaker for me since I frequently use a few that still don't work with GoogleVoice.

edit: I found someone on another forum to try my favorite code and it seemed to work. Tmobile changes policies so much lately, there's a lot of old info around.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 12, 2014

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Saw a story that AT&T will give you $200 for an iPhone 4.

http://gizmodo.com/at-t-will-give-you-200-minimum-for-your-old-iphone-4-1633549008

And then heard that T-Mobile is beating all trade in offers by $50, so $250 for an iPhone 4?

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobile-guarantees-industrys-best-trade-in.htm

Anybody have any more info about this? Last time I checked in March of 2014, T-Mobile wanted to give me $85 for my iPhone 4. But $250? I'll do that.

I feel like I'm going to get screwed somehow... either T-Mobile won't get the iPhone 6 in fast enough before the trade in deal ends or something.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
This might be a stupid question, but when you upgrade phones with Jump, do you have to pay for the new phone?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
when you Jump it eliminates your old EIP and you start a new one. You pay the sales tax of the phone you're Jumping to.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

nickutz posted:

when you Jump it eliminates your old EIP and you start a new one. You pay the sales tax of the phone you're Jumping to.

Didn't Jump recently change where you have to have paid a minimum of half the price of the phone?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

nickutz posted:

Okay, so basically the remaining balance on my phone payment gets paid off and I start over with the new phone? That's what I figured.

Another Poster
Apr 12, 2008
Orded a unlocked iPhone 6. I don't have a nano sim for the phone. Can I activate/port/whatever my current phone number (T-Mobile #) to it easily or do I have to head to the store?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Astro7x posted:

http://gizmodo.com/at-t-will-give-you-200-minimum-for-your-old-iphone-4-1633549008

And then heard that T-Mobile is beating all trade in offers by $50, so $250 for an iPhone 4?

http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news/t-mobile-guarantees-industrys-best-trade-in.htm

Anybody have any more info about this? Last time I checked in March of 2014, T-Mobile wanted to give me $85 for my iPhone 4. But $250? I'll do that.

I feel like I'm going to get screwed somehow... either T-Mobile won't get the iPhone 6 in fast enough before the trade in deal ends or something.

This is what I'm looking at too, in about a month. Wife and I both have iPhone 5, and what worries me is this:

quote:

This offer starts September 17 and is for a limited time.

So hopefully it's still in place on October 10th and hopefully they have iPhone 6s in stock then then.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Exactly... how long is AT&T doing the $200 trade ins for, and how long is T-Mobile matching the trade ins?

I am wondering if I'll get an iPhone 6 in enough time to trade it in before both deals expire. All this combined with the T-Mobile option of the $25 monthly payment is wonderful. My phone bill will go up $25 for 2 years, but I won't even have a phone bill for 2 months with that $250 credit.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Astro7x posted:

Didn't Jump recently change where you have to have paid a minimum of half the price of the phone?

Yes, but new Jump didn't replace old Jump for existing customers.

Astro7x posted:

Exactly... how long is AT&T doing the $200 trade ins for, and how long is T-Mobile matching the trade ins?

AT&T is doing it through September 30th.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Molten Llama posted:

AT&T is doing it through September 30th.

Well gently caress... no way of me getting the phone in time now

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Astro7x posted:

Well gently caress... no way of me getting the phone in time now
Amazingly, companies take launch dates for new stuff into consideration when doing deals like that one. ;)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Astro7x posted:

The $50 is if you get a better offer from another carrier. Ex: T-Mobile offers me $200 for my phone, but I go to AT&T and they offer me $225. I get proof of AT&T's offer and show it to T-Mobile, who then matches AT&T's offer plus $50, for a total of $275.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm currently a line on a T-Mobile Simple Choice Family plan. Is it at all possible to get on the nerd plan?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WrightOfWay posted:

I'm currently a line on a T-Mobile Simple Choice Family plan. Is it at all possible to get on the nerd plan?
I think if you port your number out of T-Mobile (to Google Voice, for instance), you can then get the nerd plan, since it's only for new lines.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Question: Does UPS require a signature when delivering a T-Mo phone, or will they just leave the package in a discreet area?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Endless Mike posted:

I think if you port your number out of T-Mobile (to Google Voice, for instance), you can then get the nerd plan, since it's only for new lines.

This might be worth it. With the new hangouts and google voice merger, voice numbers might be able to accept MMS now.

Edit: Not at the moment apparently. I tried to send an MMS to my google voice number and it didn't get it. Sending a picture via hangouts on it just sends a URL.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 13, 2014

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

hiddenriverninja posted:

Question: Does UPS require a signature when delivering a T-Mo phone, or will they just leave the package in a discreet area?

I can't give a T-Mobile specific answer, but from personal experience it's entirely seller-dependent so just call up a corporate retail site. It was hilarious to learn that my coworker's $30 replacement GoPhone required a signature and involved three days of clashing schedules, while my $300+ G-Nexus was simply left on the doorstep, shipped straight from Google.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When I bought my One M8 from HTC, they called me as soon as I ordered to make sure I actually ordered it.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Endless Mike posted:

Doesn't it cost $30 to port out (or maybe in) to Google voice?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

lelandjs posted:

The $50 is if you get a better offer from another carrier. Ex: T-Mobile offers me $200 for my phone, but I go to AT&T and they offer me $225. I get proof of AT&T's offer and show it to T-Mobile, who then matches AT&T's offer plus $50, for a total of $275.

Here is the promo.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/iphone-trade-in.html#fbid=BGYLzYJNOza

What am I missing here? Says nothing about needing to be an existing AT&T customer. I could take my iPhone 4 to AT&T and grt $200.

Anyway... Went to a T-Mobile store and talked to someone. They said that I needed to initiate the trade in during the upgrade, and could only do it in store or online. I would then get the advertised trade in value of $50, and after I got my iPhone 6 I would have 7 days to turn in my iPhone 4. I would then have to call Tmobile and tell them that I am doing the price match thing on trade ins. When I asked how I could be guaranteed the $200 price match before I did all this, especially when the iPhone 6 could arrive after Sept 30th when the AT&T promo ends, they had no clue... They didn't seem to believe that AT&T were stupid enough to offer $200 for an iPhone 4, and I was advised to call customer support who does the price match since they don't handle that, and make sure AT&T is actually doing the deal or else I won't get the credit.

First customer support lady said that I needed to go to the store to do the trade in, not over the phone. Then said that I would only be eligible for the price match of the iPhone 4 trade in if I had purchased the iPhone 4 with T-Mobile,and was doing the Jump promotion. So basically had been paying $480 for jump over 4 years (and did they even carry the iPhone when the 4 was released?). This seemed like she had no clue what she was talking about, so I said that was unfortunate because AT&T was offering the promotion and I was willing to switch back to AT&T to save $200. I was then forwarded to customer retentions.

Customer Retentions said that the promo for price matching trade ins was very new, and that she was not sure it would work and could not guarantee that it would work (WTF, it's a yes or no question, I am not going to risk trading in my iPhone 4 for $50 and maybe get $250). But she did say the promo officially starts Sep 17th, and she would call me back after the promotion started to verify if I could trade in my phone and do what I wanted to do.

But since you have to initiate the trade in at the time of the upgrade, it looks like I can't preorder the phone today, and chances of me getting the phone by the end of September are slim to none based on all the reports I have heard of TMobile being sold out everywhere and having long shipping times.

So I don't know... I do not care about getting the phone on release date, I just want to get the trade in credit and stick with tmobile. I guess I will see in a week after the trade in promo officially starts. But if I have to jump through all these hoops only to be told they can't do it, I am going to be very pissed with T-Mobile. When they says they will price match trade ins, why is this so confusing?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 13, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, I guess I completely misunderstood the promotion. To be fair, it is kinda confusing.

So the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are now available for Jump customers. Since I didn't really feel like paying off the amount I owed for my M8, I placed an order through Jump and cancelled my order with Apple. I might end up getting the phone later, but I think it'll be worth "saving" $530 even if I get the phone six weeks from now (the latest ship estimate they give on the site).

That said, T-Mobile gave me an estimated ship date of 9/19 and Jump customer's orders are being prioritized, so fingers crossed.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ordered two 6s on T-mobile yesterday but talk about a lot of work.

On Thursday I went to a store that told me they'd take my number and call me next Tuesday or Wednesday to order a phone. I asked why I couldn't do it Friday (yesterday) to avoid waiting until December for a phone and they said they weren't doing new customers yesterday so...

Yesterday I woke up and went to a different T-mobile location at 9am when they opened and was the first person there. Everything went smooth except I was told I couldn't get the 1gb plan for my wife's phone and then the system went down so they couldn't sell me a phone. Spent about an hour there. When I got to work they called me and told me they cancelled the two lines I opened. Ok.

Last night I went to a T-mobile corporate store. Their store locator doesn't really distinguish between corporate and authorized resellers. First I couldn't open the lines because I had cancelled too recently. They fixed that. Then they asked which data plans I wanted. I told them a 1gb for my wife and 3gb for me. They set the account up as 2x 3gb with Jump included. I asked them to remove Jump.

Then they told me they were only selling 16gb iPhones so I thanked them for their time and started to leave and suddenly the manager came over and I could order the 64s I wanted. I still don't know for sure if Jump or whatever are on my account but I assume that I can fix that all when the phones get here.

Anyhow, I was on T-mobile before the iPhone 1 and loved their customer service. Is it still good? Was yesterday just a fluke? Felt like every slimy tactic in the book at the place where I ordered the phones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I always had good experiences with them for the month or two that I used T-Mobile.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Anyone know if T Mobile iPhones ordered from Apple come with activation codes for prepaid? I expect they come with nano sims, but I can't tell if they have the activation code included.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chemmy posted:

Anyhow, I was on T-mobile before the iPhone 1 and loved their customer service. Is it still good? Was yesterday just a fluke? Felt like every slimy tactic in the book at the place where I ordered the phones.

Should probably not judge the customer service of any cell phone provider on the day of iPhone preorders or releases. It's just too crazy no matter where you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Been with tmobile 8 years and their customer service is hit or miss but has really gone down hill the last year. Used to be you could eventually reach someone who knew what the hell they were doing though it would take 5 or 6 calls but now even retention is a confused mess. They have given me conflicting information even in the same discussion.