Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

PostNouveau posted:

That end credits song is catchy as poo poo. Back in the 90s, I was on a very famous tttttttv showwww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc96GfmtBB0

You're welcome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I find it amusing that Judy Greer plays a character named Pam.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

PostNouveau posted:

That end credits song is catchy as poo poo. Back in the 90s, I was on a very famous tttttttv showwww

I like the horse noise that someone makes in the background after this. It makes me chuckle every time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Well they didn't play the Charlotte card this season. I wonder if she'll appear in Season 2, old and bitter and hating her life in Maine.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The next season will be about Bojack's nudie pics getting hacked.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The other day I had "Knick Knack Pattywhack Give A dog a bone" rolling through my head until I realized it was from that tiny clip of the Mr. Peanutbutter's House episode.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Hrmm, I just realized after re-watching the title sequence that BoJack spends a lot of time either drinking or eating....some kind of oral fixation after years of singing the Lollipop Song in a sailor costume?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LeJackal posted:

Hrmm, I just realized after re-watching the title sequence that BoJack spends a lot of time either drinking or eating....some kind of oral fixation after years of singing the Lollipop Song in a sailor costume?

I know he has a novelty cigarette lighter in the shape of a gun, but does he smoke?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I know he has a novelty cigarette lighter in the shape of a gun, but does he smoke?

He did back when he was filming his tv show anyway.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

IRQ posted:

He did back when he was filming his tv show anyway.

That's right, I remember the scene where he was blowing smoke into Sarah Lynn's face.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I just realized Bojack is actually Hank Moody from Californication if he was ever actually taken to task for his lovely behavior.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BuckarooBanzai posted:

I just realized Bojack is actually Hank Moody from Californication if he was ever actually taken to task for his lovely behavior.

Yeah, it's a pretty good takedown of the hedonistic cool older guy who just doesn't give a gently caress anymore character.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Vulture's turn to shower BoJack with praise.

quote:

BoJack's funny and smart, but he's also unbelievably lonely — so lonely that he sabotages his sort-of-assistant Todd's (Aaron Paul) rock opera so Todd won't be able to leave his side. (The first draft of the rock opera is bad, though. "That was, and I don't say this lightly, worse than a hundred September 11ths," BoJack tells Todd.) At every opportunity to be kind or supportive or even neutral, BoJack winds up being abrasive, cruel, or damaging, sometimes on purpose, but not always. The relatively bare-bones animation emphasizes these moments where BoJack loses control of his nastiness; his eyes bulge a little, shocked by his own reflexive awfulness, but then he retreats, eyes relax, and he doubles down, insisting that he's merely stating the facts, that he doesn't care if he hurts anyone, that he's just being honest or whatever. We're seeing BoJack's mean streak in these moments, sure, but we're also seeing how detached he is, that weird delay between saying something and realizing you're saying it. That's depression! Alienation of self is a classic manifestation of depression! And not that clichéd, fake-rear end TV depression of just laying on the couch for an afternoon. The real, life-altering, is-this-who-I-am kind. This is so rarely articulated or portrayed on TV in any way; somehow a cartoon horse dude is teaching us about ourselves, you guys.

[...]

BoJack's deep despondence gets hidden in a sea of strangeness — a sea that includes a bizarro-world version of Margo Martindale, a pop song called "Prickly Muffin," and a character who's literally three children standing on each other's shoulders. There are so many background jokes and one-liners and silly animals that the show's emotional depth caught me by surprise, and I didn't pick up on it in the first few episodes. Over the course of the 12-episode season, though, the pattern emerged over and over; jokes and sorrow, jokes and sorrow. When BoJack appears on a cable news show, the ticker across the bottom includes items like "Milk, milk, lemonade, around the corner — gentrification?," "UN declares war good for absolutely nothing, says it again," and "AIDS still a thing." And then, buried among these gems, is "I wanted to write novels, you know." Everywhere you turn, someone's struggling. A horse sitcom actor. A ghostwriter who's worried she's not making a difference. A nameless, faceless entity typing out the tickers for cable news shows. Everybody, maybe.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 11, 2014

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
"Radical sadness" is apt. Maybe this article can convince my friends to finally watch the show.

edit:
PFT tweeted that they're already doing a table read of season 2, episode 1. That seems quick, no?

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/510201741887827968/photo/1

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 12, 2014

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Naet posted:

"Radical sadness" is apt. Maybe this article can convince my friends to finally watch the show.

edit:
PFT tweeted that they're already doing a table read of season 2, episode 1. That seems quick, no?

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/510201741887827968/photo/1

It looks like turnaround time between seasons for most of the high-profile Netflix original series has been around a year. House of Cards needed a year and two weeks, Hemlock Grove needed 15 months, OITNB did it in eleven months. The animation isn't exactly the most complicated thing in the world and Variety's initial report of its S1 pickup was December 2013, implying a turnaround time of eight to twelve months for the first run - I think this is about par for the course in terms of preparing for season two.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

CRINDY posted:

It looks like turnaround time between seasons for most of the high-profile Netflix original series has been around a year. House of Cards needed a year and two weeks, Hemlock Grove needed 15 months, OITNB did it in eleven months. The animation isn't exactly the most complicated thing in the world and Variety's initial report of its S1 pickup was December 2013, implying a turnaround time of eight to twelve months for the first run - I think this is about par for the course in terms of preparing for season two.

On top of that, Raphael Bob-Waksberg even tweeted that they're shooting for Summer 2015. It looks like Shadowmachine Films -- who used to do all the Adult Swim stop-motion shows -- does the animation themselves and doesn't farm anything out to Korea, so that would keep turnaround times down.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 12, 2014

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm on the last episode now, and I'm not sure how I missed the floorless Halloween store. Which episode was it, does anyone remember?

e: never mind haha

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 13, 2014

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Generic 90's grunge song, everyone in flannel
Generic 90's grunge song, something from Seattle

Herb: Every one of your ideas is stupid or racist.
BoJack: That was one pitch!

e: 90's Keith Olberman whale has thick, wavy hair.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I was watching Olberman's ESPN show this week for NFL shaming purposes and he's been hyping Bojack on the show apparently. :unsmith:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hcreight posted:

I was watching Olberman's ESPN show this week for NFL shaming purposes and he's been hyping Bojack on the show apparently. :unsmith:

What do you expect from that guy who enthusiastically agreed to play a "Olberman-like whale news anchor"?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

pentyne posted:

What do you expect from that guy who enthusiastically agreed to play a "Olberman-like whale news anchor"?

I even had a post upthread showing that he changed his Twitter avatar to Tom Jumbo-Grumbo. It's fun to watch him pick fights with people who violently disagree with his views while he's represented by a serious-looking whale in a suit. (It's even funnier since he's become enamored with the phrase "Bye, Felicia" as of late.)

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Watched the entire season just now. Echoing what everyone else is already saying, you do really need to slag through the first hump in the show. However the second half more than makes up for it. In retrospect the first few episodes help you sink a little more into the world before being taken across the real. I think it helps the second half carry more weight. Eagerly awaiting Season 2!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pellisworth posted:

The satire of the Hollywood "biz" is really good, tho I dunno how amusing it would be or well it would resonate if you haven't lived in LA or don't follow celebrity pop culture a lot?

I live in the UK and I got most of it (absolutely no idea what Spring Breakers is though) but I don't think I've had enough exposure to some of things people are complaining about here to immediately find them tired.

I liked the entire season all the way through, even the more obvious moments like the animal sight gags. Generally I'm none too harsh on series' that stay consistent and flow nicely, which this definitely did. For comparison, since it was mentioned earlier in the thread, I thought the Seahorse Seashell Party episode of Family Guy was absolute garbage of the highest order - Meg's rant sounds like a checklist of points they forgot they were supposed to turn into actual dialogue before recording and is just intercut with Peter making gags like the writers weren't able to so much as conceptualise the possibility that drama and comedy can be blended together even one iota; the whole thing is just awful on every level. Same with the episode where Joe's son turns back up after deserting the army. Bojack held itself together nicely and had a decent cast who get to bicker a lot about their lovely lives; I'd have probably been happy with that even without moments like Vincent Adultman.

Also, Neal McBeal made me wince every time he spoke. It can't be healthy to make your voice sound like that.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mr. Peanutbutter is my favorite character.

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

nooneofconsequence posted:

Ah, Netflix Streaming Consistency™

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

nooneofconsequence posted:

Started my first rewatch, I'm loving his tuxedo t-shirt. Of course he wears that!

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I liked the entire season all the way through, even the more obvious moments like the animal sight gags. Generally I'm none too harsh on series' that stay consistent and flow nicely, which this definitely did.

Same here. I'm a lot more forgiving to series/movies than other people when the series tries just a little bit. Compared to the majority of bullshit on TV I don't mind a little Bojack in my life.

This is just me talking out my rear end here, but when the audiences see something game changing it can give them stupidly high standards. It's not enough that they receive a great piece of work, they have to have that work dissected and deconstructed in a way that's wholly original; as though the piece of work itself invented the concept of deconstruction. The new art can't just be entertaining on its own, it has to be innovative/challenging to the point that it makes the audience weep. This is how you get Noise Marines.

You get people saying things like: "Yeah, The Shield is good but it's not The Wire good" "Clarence is okay, but it's not Hey Arnold" "Deadspace doesn't play like Silent Hill 2, it should play more like Silent Hill 2"

They're all good! They're not bad! It's like complaining that cake doesn't taste like ice-cream. I don't know if I'm coming across right. And at the same time if we don't try to be as innovative as possible we get the same pap thrown at us over and over again. I like Bojack Horseman and didn't see a problem with it.

I guess I just get tired of people looking a gift horse in the mouth:v:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe it's the background animal people doing animal things but this show really reminds me of Ugly Americans.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Watched the whole series over a couple of days with a friend who'd been pestering me about it a while.

The "people just want to watch 30 minutes light entertainment with a positive ending" in the first episode was a good setup for the show quickly becoming the exact opposite. The agent's 40th birthday phone reminder was and Bojack's "Am I a good person" still stick in my head. I also thought "Downer Ending" was going to be the final episode, and it would've made for a fantastically bleak one if that'd been the case.

But then we would've missed out all of Tod and PB's wonderful ideas and pitches.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like when the SWAT Team takes out Margot Martindale, the dude holding the taser is an (Electric)Eel.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I really hope they bring back Princess Carolyn's tree frog assistant. I lost it every time that clumsy doofus was on screen.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

sitchelin posted:

I really hope they bring back Princess Carolyn's tree frog assistant. I lost it every time that clumsy doofus was on screen.

That was my least favorite part of fhe series so I hope to god not. It wouldn't have been so bad if his voice wasn't errible

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Poor Charlie, his hands are too sticky!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A friend of mine recommended this to me the other day. I'd seen it on Netflix and thought it looked interesting, but had only vague plans to watch it. Then September rolled around and the publication deadline for my thesis research started staring me down and I went looking for distractions.

This show really, really hit a chord with me. The building continuity as the series went on was very compelling, especially as we learned more about Bojack. His particular issue of being smart enough to know he has problems but plays dumb to avoid having to confront them is very familiar. The imagery is quite powerful, including his drug-induced hallucination of a different world where he had the guts to follow Charlotte to Maine. At first glance he's just an rear end in a top hat has-been curmudgeon, but the show really delivers on the depth - just as he's described in his own memoir, flawed yet sympathetic.

The bit where Bojack tries to write his own version of the memoir in a week and goes through all the classic writing distractions was also incredibly relatable - I myself just watched the whole season then turned around to post it on the internet because I'm scared to death of finishing a draft my old supervisor expected yesterday. I think I've done everything he tried there except possibly the drugs thing.

I do have to wonder if there's enough material for a second season, though. I mean they clearly set one up at the end but the first season was a fairly tight story that revolved around unpacking Bojack's issues as the memoir got written. Then again, the show made a lot of good points about how life doesn't just stop on a happy ending, I remember thinking the outcome of episode 9 felt like a season-ender and they made that very point in episode 10. If they do revisit anything, maybe Herb. It's too late for Bojack to make things right, but that was still a dark note to end on there. Even if it's just at his funeral.

Anyway, tl;dr, great show. DivisionPost was right, it probably won't work for everyone, and I can even think of some people who'd be seriously bummed out by it, but it's definitely worth a shot. Seriously I feel kinda like poo poo after watching it but I wish I could watch it again.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sitchelin posted:

Nah, his show got picked up. He's on to bigger and better things!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I still love the reveal that Vanessa Gekko is not, in fact, a gecko.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I love how we establish that there are no non-sentient animals, and then later Bojack orders a huge steak from a cow waitress and sheepishly goes "sorry!".

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My favourite animal moment was when Mr Peanutbutter opened the trunk full of tennis balls and while still talking to Diane, just for a brief moment, looks at the tennis balls and goes 'oo!'

I'm glad this got picked up for a second season, but I'm definitely wary about how many it can go on for without treading water. I think it needs to be judged on a season-by-season basis, see what they set up for the next one and whether it seems like they can keep the momentum going.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

My favorite animal gag was the segment with Princess Carolyn doing different exercises in the gym and one of them is a scratching post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodglue
May 8, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe it's the background animal people doing animal things but this show really reminds me of Ugly Americans.

I agree. It reminds me of it too. The animation style is very similar. I wish that show was still around.