Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I almost shot 100Yrs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
If I could go back, I'd shoot 100Yrs.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
After asking 100Yrs to give me a piece of candy so I'd be confirmed town if he flipped scum.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

merk posted:

I almost shot 100Yrs.

Thanks.

merk posted:

After asking 100Yrs to give me a piece of candy so I'd be confirmed town if he flipped scum.

But then are you hunting for scum or just looking for a way to confirm yourself?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Both.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah but do you have a priority?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah but do you have a priority?

No, not really. You can do both at the same time in this mechanic.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
What is your point anyway? Is trying to confirm myself as town somehow scummy to you? How is that possibly scummy?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
This guy: ##vote 100Yrs

Should've killed him.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

merk posted:

What is your point anyway? Is trying to confirm myself as town somehow scummy to you? How is that possibly scummy?

There's something there for me in the intent. I'm probably over thinking it. Like, which of the two actions would be more pro-town, and which seemed more selfish ie scummy. I would say a drive to be a confirmed town would initially be more selfish but would certainly help town. Attempt to nail scum with a daykill would be I think overall pro town move, but that seemed to be less your motivation since you're just aiming for people that'd give you a confirmed status were they scum.

It's the act of being selfish for me that's scummy. I don't think town should be selfish.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Rarity trick on you and absence is slightly suspect but that's lurker logic.

I'm British. I was working and then drinking.

Ok so, thoughts.

##holiday ADD Appreciation Day (or whatever it's called)

I disagree that scum would want to hoard their candies. Early D1 vigs are far more likely to hit town than scum. At the end of the day, the risk of giving away candies is worth the rewards of knocking off a town player, plus the town cred of looking generous. I haven't given away any of my candy and I'm not going to. As far as I'm concerned there's only one player in this game that's confirmed town and that's me. I don't want candy to go to scum so I'm not giving it away.

Krell trying to mafia dad merk of all people is the most hilarious loving thing.

I tricked merk because I wanted to get the ball rolling. I tricked merk specifically because he was the player I most wanted to read a reaction from. The fact he brushed it off instead of making a thing of it makes me feel good about him. Also, I like how Byers was unwilling to let me race into an early candy lead and took steps to balance it out.

My biggest scum read so far is Dragonatrix for only really posting setup discussion. 100yrs is trying really hard to look like he is sacrificing his own benefit for the good of town. I don't like uranus's use of his vig.

##vote Dragonatrix

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
rarity are you scum

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

uranus posted:

rarity are you scum

I wish.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
Has dragonatrix played mafia before? They don't have any games listed on votefinder.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Puntification posted:

Has dragonatrix played mafia before? They don't have any games listed on votefinder.

Oh wait, is he new?

##vote 100yrs

Ok, Dragon guy, let's give you a chance. What do you think or uranus and merk's use of their vig?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Bit pre-emptive, but considering D1 can only really go on gut instinct right now.

That said, while the vig use wasn't inherently suspect, merk's explanation after the fact doesn't sit right with me. I don't think the intent as 100yrs put it is the problem on its own, it's the fervour with which he seems to want to be confirmed town that comes off as a bit, well, off. Really the attempt to go out of your way to be confirmed town is hard to justify in a non-scum manner, since that's something someone who is scum would want to do, after all it gives them a decent amount of towncred and the apparent confirmation is hard to shake off, and the candy setup gives them a golden opportunity to do just that.

Uranus's just funny which is a good way to hide in plain sight. Also makes it hard to be suspicious because (and this might just be me here) it's hard to distinguish some jokes from serious slipups. Metajoke calls are obviously jokes and in no way suspect or distracting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
There's a major logic issue in saying that someone is scummy for wanting to be confirmed town in this mechanic.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dragonatrix posted:

Bit pre-emptive, but considering D1 can only really go on gut instinct right now.

That said, while the vig use wasn't inherently suspect, merk's explanation after the fact doesn't sit right with me. I don't think the intent as 100yrs put it is the problem on its own, it's the fervour with which he seems to want to be confirmed town that comes off as a bit, well, off. Really the attempt to go out of your way to be confirmed town is hard to justify in a non-scum manner, since that's something someone who is scum would want to do, after all it gives them a decent amount of towncred and the apparent confirmation is hard to shake off, and the candy setup gives them a golden opportunity to do just that.

Uranus's just funny which is a good way to hide in plain sight. Also makes it hard to be suspicious because (and this might just be me here) it's hard to distinguish some jokes from serious slipups. Metajoke calls are obviously jokes and in no way suspect or distracting.

I can understand merk's lynch of BN because he's one of the scummiest players on SA so whether town or scum it saves us wasting a whole bunch of time discussing him. If I was going to vig a player before any of us had posted, I'd vig BN. uranus, on the other hand, immediately rushed into a vig based on barely any information with the most spurious of justifications.

Is there mafia history with Token Female I'm not aware of?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
All that said, I'm more inclined to ##vote 100yrs right now. Mostly because of the game's current setup the candy list from before is a good way to appear to be helping out without actually having to do anything. It doesn't inherently damage the town but it also doesn't really give anything useful to work with. It's a nice façade but nothing more.

Plus the half-attempt at rules lawyering came off as a worrying way to shut down the discussion at the time. Not because he was worried for himself, necessarily, but because his scumbuddy might accidentally let something slip. Somber was panicking at the time when he saw merk was at 3 candies, so that could've had something to do with it maybe. Panics are a good way to let info slip without thinking about it, but I could be thinking too hard there.

And, of course, the half-assed non-directed case at 3 people without much effort put into it. Uranus was a good target, since he's pretty vocal and little things can be easier to pick up on when someone speaks a lot. Whether they're valid or not, there's more things to call attention too. Likewise, the lurker logic for Rarity was more calling attention to someone being conspicuous by not being conspicuous.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i really did think token was scum.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
whenever i see the word 'information' in a post i think that person must be scum

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't like uranus doubling down on his scum read. Has anyone here ever felt confident of a scum read on page 4 of a game?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Yes.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I don't like that Krell disappeared after I called him out.

##vote Krell Talk to me, Krell.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

apostateCourier posted:

Strong gut read on AC. ##vote apostateCourier

I don't like the tone of this post either.

apostateCourier posted:

Oh hey, a dayvig up for grabs. Guys, maybe handing out candy willy-nilly isn't a good idea? It only takes one gift to scum (without having any taken from them) for them to get an extra kill.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Strong gut read on AC. ##vote apostateCourier

I don't like the tone of this post either.

What about the tone throws you off? The bit where I said "hey maybe we shouldn't do a thing that could benefit scum without thinking about it first?"

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah. Obviously a daykill is dangerous. Seems awkward to state something that's already apparent.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah. Obviously a daykill is dangerous. Seems awkward to state something that's already apparent.

On the other hand, people really like vigs. They're fun, and people like messing with fun mechanics like giving/stealing candy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
The whole "now now, let's not get TOO crazy" attitude is why that strikes me as off. Did anyone besides you express a desire for ~caution~?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

The whole "now now, let's not get TOO crazy" attitude is why that strikes me as off. Did anyone besides you express a desire for ~caution~?

No, and that's the point.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

I did earlier when I told merk I'd rather he shoot no one.

In regards to my "non cases", there's a reason why I haven't voted. I've been trying to air out my thoughts and just write down my perception of things. Maybe I should have more conviction? But as everyone readily sees most of my thoughts are pretty empty, at least they're nothing I would be able to vote on with confidence, especially cause when playing mafia my number 1 rule is that I'm always wrong. It wasn't an attempt to vote leap behind anyone else either. At any rate the way Dragon moved his vote over onto me is suspicious because he first says he gets what I'm saying but then votes me anyway. I could see a scum team between them and rarity whose earlier vote on Dragon just gets switched because Dragon's new. Rarity's reason to vote BN is awful and it's just buddying up to merk. Would vote either and will ##vote Rarity.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I did earlier when I told merk I'd rather he shoot no one.

In regards to my "non cases", there's a reason why I haven't voted. I've been trying to air out my thoughts and just write down my perception of things. Maybe I should have more conviction? But as everyone readily sees most of my thoughts are pretty empty, at least they're nothing I would be able to vote on with confidence, especially cause when playing mafia my number 1 rule is that I'm always wrong. It wasn't an attempt to vote leap behind anyone else either. At any rate the way Dragon moved his vote over onto me is suspicious because he first says he gets what I'm saying but then votes me anyway. I could see a scum team between them and rarity whose earlier vote on Dragon just gets switched because Dragon's new. Rarity's reason to vote BN is awful and it's just buddying up to merk. Would vote either and will ##vote Rarity.

Of course I switch if Dragon is new. We don't D1 lynch first time players.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rarity posted:

Of course I switch if Dragon is new. We don't D1 lynch first time players.

I know that. But it's the way you switched off. Seems like a convenient excuse for a gentle bus.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Official Candy Tally

1. merk 0
2. Somberbrero 2
3. uranus 1
4. 100YrsofAttitude 1
5. apostateCourier 1
6. Dragonatrix 1
7. Byers2142 2
8. Puntification 1
9. Rarity 2
10. Token Female 2
11. Big Nothing 0
12. Ernie. 3
13. Harold Krell 2

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

100YrsofAttitude (3): merk, Rarity, Dragonatrix
apostateCourier (2): Big Nothing, Somberbrero
Ernie. (1): Puntification
uranus (1): Ernie.
Harold Krell (1): apostateCourier
Rarity (1): 100YrsofAttitude
Somberbrero (0): Byers2142, Byers2142
Puntification (0): Ernie., Somberbrero, Ernie., Somberbrero
Dragonatrix (0): Rarity, Rarity

Not Voting (4): Byers2142, Harold Krell, Token Female, uranus

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 15th, 2014 at 6 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 4 hours.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Sorry about the above votecount, it did not take into account vigged players. Correct votecount is below:

Votecount for Day 1

100YrsofAttitude (3): merk, Rarity, Dragonatrix
Ernie. (1): Puntification
uranus (1): Ernie.
Harold Krell (1): apostateCourier
Rarity (1): 100YrsofAttitude
apostateCourier (1): Somberbrero
Somberbrero (0): Byers2142, Byers2142
Puntification (0): Ernie., Somberbrero, Ernie., Somberbrero
Dragonatrix (0): Rarity, Rarity

Not Voting (3): Byers2142, Harold Krell, uranus

With 11 alive, it's 6 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 15th, 2014 at 6 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 days, 4 hours.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

But then it turned out Little Macintosh was the coolest.

ps I'm a survivor claiming now.

Hey somb, was this a serious claim?

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

apostateCourier posted:

I had to disappear because I have a career to go to on weekdays. Not everyone has the time to post on the forums 24/7.

Anyways, after recent outcomes, it appears that I have been proven right about the needless use of the day-vig that has been coveted by so many players. It was obvious that it could only lead to calamity, yet my warnings ended up being in vain.

The fact that you're accusing me for being negligent for going to my career rather than posting to defend myself seems like the most short-sighted of endeavors. Why do you think I am scum if the only thing I've been is right so far? I still find it suspicious that of all people you would go after me even though you have two obvious suspects in plain sight. Regardless, I'm going to hold my vote until I can see decisive evidence indicating true scum.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Harold Krell posted:

I had to disappear because I have a career to go to on weekdays. Not everyone has the time to post on the forums 24/7.

Anyways, after recent outcomes, it appears that I have been proven right about the needless use of the day-vig that has been coveted by so many players. It was obvious that it could only lead to calamity, yet my warnings ended up being in vain.

The fact that you're accusing me for being negligent for going to my career rather than posting to defend myself seems like the most short-sighted of endeavors. Why do you think I am scum if the only thing I've been is right so far? I still find it suspicious that of all people you would go after me even though you have two obvious suspects in plain sight. Regardless, I'm going to hold my vote until I can see decisive evidence indicating true scum.

Several things.
First, our conversation happened over a series of minutes. There was no reason you couldn't have shot off a quick reply, instead you disappear just as the pressure gets put on. That is suspicious. I also really don't like the condescending tone.

Second, being right does not mean you aren't scum. Granted, you not knowing merk's reputation, okay. That's fine, I guess you haven't played with him much/at all. However occasionally, being right can mean that you are scum if being right means you have information you shouldn't have.

Third, you want decisive evidence on day one? That isn't likely to happen. Do you usually not vote on day one? I find this at odds with your "obvious suspects" line. Getting tunnel vision is bad, leading to my next point.

Fourth, why would I NOT needle and poke and prod at people? That's what people do in this game. Why are you saying that it's not the right thing to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

apostateCourier posted:

Several things.
First, our conversation happened over a series of minutes. There was no reason you couldn't have shot off a quick reply, instead you disappear just as the pressure gets put on. That is suspicious. I also really don't like the condescending tone.

I am not being condescending. You wanted answers from me so I am simply explaining yourself. Don't act like you deserve sympathy for being oversensitive. Also, I find it disrespectful that you're calling me condescending because I have rigid career hours that can't allow me to post whenever it's convenient to you.

apostateCourier posted:

Second, being right does not mean you aren't scum. Granted, you not knowing merk's reputation, okay. That's fine, I guess you haven't played with him much/at all. However occasionally, being right can mean that you are scum if being right means you have information you shouldn't have.

I am not right because I'm scum. I'm right because I analyze the facts. I told people not to give anyone candy for a pointless day-kill, but did anyone listen? No. Now two townies are dead because of pointless stupidity. I don't need to know who merk is to understand that.

apostateCourier posted:

Third, you want decisive evidence on day one? That isn't likely to happen. Do you usually not vote on day one? I find this at odds with your "obvious suspects" line. Getting tunnel vision is bad, leading to my next point.

We already have two people who have made kills in this game. That is the equivalent of two lynches, but even better because we know exactly who pulled the trigger.

apostateCourier posted:

Fourth, why would I NOT needle and poke and prod at people? That's what people do in this game. Why are you saying that it's not the right thing to do?

Because you're needling at the wrong people. All you're doing is just tunneling on me for whatever reason, and quite frankly, all of this ignorance and attacks on my personal character is pissing me off. Please, remember to show some respect in the future before you consider posting again, understand?

• Locked thread