Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Popular tileset examples (showing goblin, kobold, minotaur, tigerman, elf, human and dwarf; click the resolution in upper left for full size):

Ironhand

Mayday

Spacefox

CLA

Phoebus

I use Phoebus, but I think Mayday would be good for a tournament, with its fancy environment and sprites with personality. I love those blocky dwarves :3:

If anyone else has an opinion on tileset to use for the tournament, give it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I like Ironhand - it has a clean look and better colours.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I vote top one.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I like the sprites in Phoebus better.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I like ironhand best

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Which one has the best teeth?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

SynthOrange posted:

Which one has the best teeth?

I think they all use broken bone graphics for the teeth, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

UNACCEPTABLE.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
just modify the bone tile to be a little scattering of dots, so it can do multiple duty when the game recolors it for teeth/limbs/etc

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Ironhand please.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ZeeToo posted:

If ASCII was good enough for our fathers playing Nethack, it's good enough for everyone else forever.

In the meantime, I suppose we have enough time to replay Team Tiny Arms vs Minotaur Mites now that archers have been unnerfed and

Well... poo poo. Let's pretend I never tried that.

At least that's good. Archers are definitely looking better.

See, that is what my strangler was supposed to do with his pickaxe, not miss every attack until he gets killed.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
I'm a fan of Phoebos's sprites.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

So when's the next thingy planned for? I'm hype! :black101:

Silverminnow
Feb 25, 2008
Shiniest fish in the sea!

King Cohort posted:

I'd like to become a commissioner for it if possible, Jazzimus.

Hey King Cohort can you send me an e-mail at some point? We have a google hangouts thing going on with the commissioners that I'd like to invite you (and any future commissioner) to. My e-mail is mercuryminnow@gmail.com or you could just post your e-mail here.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

Silverminnow posted:

Hey King Cohort can you send me an e-mail at some point? We have a google hangouts thing going on with the commissioners that I'd like to invite you (and any future commissioner) to. My e-mail is mercuryminnow@gmail.com or you could just post your e-mail here.

Sounds good. I emailed you!

From the timetable Jazzimus gave, I figured we'd be starting today or tomorrow. Hopefully.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

King Cohort posted:

From the timetable Jazzimus gave, I figured we'd be starting today or tomorrow. Hopefully.

I may need a couple more days before we start, I've been pretty busy with other stuff lately.

I did upload a new update of the modified version of DF we'll use for the tournament, so all commissioners, please use this version for the tournament. This supersedes the one I posted previously, and includes the Ironhand graphics pack, a slight arena layout change to incorporate the FairFight™ technology we had been using in the last couple of tournaments, and some bug fixes to modified attributes in creature_standard.txt which were incorrectly using the mental attribute tag rather than the physical attribute tag.

http://arenachallenge.com/dwarffort/df_40_11_arena.zip

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
We're probably going to start in about 24 hours now, so here are some rule changes that will be in effect for the next test tournament:

- Starting points and points for making the playoff have both been dialed back to 75% of what they were for the previous tournament.
- Striking skill is more expensive for the larger races. It now has a 1.5x cost multiplier for molemarians, 2x for tigermen, 2.5x for minotaurs, and 3x for trolls and yetis.
- Blunt weapon skills are now slightly cheaper than other weapon skills.
- Archery costs are unchanged, but the new underlying version of Dwarf Fortress being used for this tournament improves archery firing speeds to something more reasonable.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Well, I'm excited. :dance:

I think the dialed-back points will be better for the initial run, at least. The huge lump sums of points were a big reason so much steel and adamantine was slung around so quickly.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I think Jazz forgot to mention the Mystery Boxes that he promised us in chat. That will be out soon. Also a new use for dwarfbux coming soon!

None of these are happening but would be hilarious

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh, nice. I already have a couple of new build ideas. :mmmhmm:

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Woo! Let's get some gremlins killed!

Having worked through a Dark Souls addiction, I think I've got some ideas for dealing with a massive size difference. :black101:

Sorry to say, but I won't be commissioning this time, I just can't fit it in with my current workload.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
As someone who now has an accessible account (Thanks Jazz), is there going to be another race for tournament positions? I'm eager to create my own brand of unworkable punching bag abomination.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Save me a spot if it opens up on the weekend!

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
No. Never save Spermy a spot. That way I definitely don't have to worry about him dragging me down again! Do make him run fights though. He's pretty okay at that. I guess.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
If I am not on your team I get to run your fights.

Just look how that worked for Bad Munki! He killed a dude by punching them in the face and was the only good thing he did all tournament

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Captaindirtnap posted:

As someone who now has an accessible account (Thanks Jazz), is there going to be another race for tournament positions? I'm eager to create my own brand of unworkable punching bag abomination.

Yes, it will be another race for tournament positions.

Just like the last time, you'll create a fighter first, then apply to have the fighter join a tournament from the Manage Fighter panel.

Just like the last time, it will be random teammates. We'll have a different way of doing this for the tournament after this next one, where you'll be allowed to create your fighter after collaborating with your teammates, but that code isn't ready yet.

And the race for tournament positions begins...

:siren: NOW :siren:

http://arenachallenge.com

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008
Snarf Snarf Snarf has put his hat in the ring

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Charity is in, though I can't seem to edit in skills.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

My minotaur is going to use Dwarf Fortress Arena Challenges as a business to end Dwarf Fortress Arena Challenges as a business.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Tunicate posted:

Charity is in, though I can't seem to edit in skills.

Once all 48 spots are taken, you'll be able to edit in skills. I had meant to add this feature by now, but was too busy getting other features working :sigh:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
So is this one team-based or free-for-all?

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Ablative posted:

So is this one team-based or free-for-all?

Teams again, 3 on 3 like before.

And it should move even faster than the previous tournament did, since there is no longer any requirement to run fights in order. The only requirement is that all fights for a round must be completed before the new round can begin.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I figured out what was wrong with my last fighter (the name wasn't inspiring enough), so I'm ready to give it another whirl.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Child Protective Services is taking a break from saving lives near the mountainhomes to prove his prowess in combat.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
SRIRACHA FARTSTORM has just finished eating and is ready to make his presence known in the arena.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Also, all the new site registrants (IGotMine, Psycho Society, Zaltys, Mygna, pantherrpg, Spogerrific, and Mattybee) are approved and ready to go.

Captaindirtnap
Apr 26, 2012
Chad the Tigerman is ready for the arena. Yes, he will be a burden on his team.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Entered with A Heart of Steel, the dwarf! I'm sure the uncreative name has doomed his heart to getting pierced right off the bat every match.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Autoerotic Asphyxiation is ready to go. Hope he doesn't choke in the group stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Spoggerific posted:

Entered with A Heart of Steel, the dwarf! I'm sure the uncreative name has doomed his heart to getting pierced right off the bat every match.

Probably do better than The Obituator purely on grounds of hubris.

• Locked thread