Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

meanieface posted:

What do you goons do to stay in shape while you're sitting all day? Smash the gym before work? Get up and walk every so often? I'm exhausted when I get home now so my after work plan isn't working. I'd like some advice.

I take at least 2 mile-ish walks per day, go to the gym on my way home from work on mon/wed/fri, and hike and generally stay active on weekends (except I won't be hiking today, maker faire's in town woohoo!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Grats!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

meanieface posted:

Edited to add content:
What do you goons do to stay in shape while you're sitting all day? Smash the gym before work? Get up and walk every so often? I'm exhausted when I get home now so my after work plan isn't working. I'd like some advice.
I work from home, so I bike around during lunch and use the elliptical when I can fit it in. Running's good if you have the knees for it.

I knew a guy who had bike pedals under his desk. That was kinda weird. Don't be him.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sarcasmatron posted:

:yotj: is now official: I start at Blizzard in 4 weeks.

:rock:

You're a brave man. I couldn't work for a gaming company. Job security is less than non existent.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Misogynist posted:

I knew a guy who had bike pedals under his desk. That was kinda weird. Don't be him.

They're pilot testing these with hyperactive children and are seeing significant benefits in achievement :o: Not that it's appropriate in the workplace, but in the absence of an exercise bike I sure wouldn't mind it. I pace and dance around my office all day and it helps me out big time. I have a convertible stand-up desk too

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

skipdogg posted:

You're a brave man. I couldn't work for a gaming company. Job security is less than non existent.

At Blizzard, you get a sword for 5 years of service. I saw a lot of swords.

In response to an earlier question:

I'll be working on infrastructure initiatives.

Feral Bueller fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 13, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Roargasm posted:

They're pilot testing these with hyperactive children and are seeing significant benefits in achievement :o: Not that it's appropriate in the workplace, but in the absence of an exercise bike I sure wouldn't mind it. I pace and dance around my office all day and it helps me out big time. I have a convertible stand-up desk too

I would love a stationary bicycle that I can put my laptop on and ride through most of my shift.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A bike workstation where you increased the bandwidth available to your machine the more you pedalled. Turning work into a game of Prop Cycle.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

I'd guess that'd cost about fifteen million merits.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

A bike workstation where you increased the bandwidth available to your machine the more you pedalled. Turning work into a game of Prop Cycle.

Underdeveloped countries all like:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

PCjr sidecar posted:

I'd guess that'd cost about fifteen million merits.

Black Mirror, yay.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Roargasm posted:

A fat lady at my office sits on a ball all day with her feet on one of those pedal things. I never see her pedal. Ever.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.

meanieface posted:

Edited to add content:

For the last couple of months, on Tuesdays and Fridays, I've been playing pick-up indoor soccer during the lunch hour (usually more like 90 minutes total). It's been pretty awesome, and I even got invited into a team to play the Tue night league from contacts made :c00l:
If I bring lunch from home, I still want to get out of the office every day, so I go for a walk for at least 15 minutes, most times around 50 minutes. I listen to podcasts, music, or just walk for walking's sake. I've explored each direction from the office this way, one bit at at time... was something I even looked forward to sometimes!

Thanks Ants posted:

http://www.ergoquest.com/treadmill-desks.html

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

A fat lady at my office sits on a ball all day with her feet on one of those pedal things. I never see her pedal. Ever.

I think it'd be useful to have a visual cue to remind you to pedal. Maybe a program that dims the monitor if you slow down too much. It's easy to get focused on a task and stop pedaling.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

meanieface posted:

I get up at 0415ish to be at the gym by 5. Work out until 0600ish. Get to work around 0800 or so and have a standing desk. A standing desk means you just slouch in a different way. I'm usually passed the gently caress out by 2100 too since it feels so amazing to sit/lay down when I get home.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
A meeting came in. They're thinking of moving people to America to train a new support team.

I really need to convince my girlfriend that this is a viable thing for us. If nothing else, no import prices for some of the materials I buy. Plus, I get to move away from my current town, which i'd love to do.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

dogstile posted:

A meeting came in. They're thinking of moving people to America to train a new support team.

I really need to convince my girlfriend that this is a viable thing for us. If nothing else, no import prices for some of the materials I buy. Plus, I get to move away from my current town, which i'd love to do.

Why do you hate having health insurance and statutory workers rights?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

evobatman posted:

Why do you hate having health insurance and statutory workers rights?

It wouldn't be a permanent thing, i'm young enough to want to do this sort of thing while I don't have to much tying me down to one place and it'd be cool to live out there for a little bit. I would also get health cover.

So nothing would really change except location and the chance to train up a brand new team. It would also look good on any application forms.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Take that opportunity if you can, it sounds great.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Where in the states?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

meanieface posted:

5x5 weights Mon/Wed/Fri before work 60 minutes cardio Tue/Thur, get up and walk around when on conf calls and lunch and drink water not coffee/soda.

Weekends try not to slob about too much.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

I enjoyed this post and couldn't think of where to share - http://attackwithnumbers.com/the-laws-of-lovely-dashboard

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Google Apps' dashboard can kindly go gently caress itself. I don't mind lovely dashboards as long as you give me a good way to do batch operations or search through your data without mouseclicks. GApps does neither of course.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Okay so apparently my grad program is requiring me to take another math course in addition to the calculus that I took in undergrad before I can actually begin taking the master's level courses. Looks like I'm going to be taking freshman statistics at community college this spring.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

psydude posted:

Where in the states?

Not got a location decided yet, either California somewhere or Boise in Idaho I think. This wouldn't be happening for around a year mind, but its exciting stuff. Especially as i'm one of five people who can do it. Right now i'm just getting buddy buddy with the VP, which is really cool. Spent a good three hours chatting to him today.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 15, 2014

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

In my head the entirety of Idaho is like Napoleon Dynamite.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

psydude posted:

Okay so apparently my grad program is requiring me to take another math course in addition to the calculus that I took in undergrad before I can actually begin taking the master's level courses. Looks like I'm going to be taking freshman statistics at community college this spring.

I don't know what's available in your area but I'd check if any of the local CC's offer 100% online classes. If you just need the credit, do a straightforward class online, just do all the work, turn it in and get credits at the end.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

internet jerk posted:

I get up at 0415ish to be at the gym by 5. Work out until 0600ish. Get to work around 0800 or so and have a standing desk. A standing desk means you just slouch in a different way. I'm usually passed the gently caress out by 2100 too since it feels so amazing to sit/lay down when I get home.

What's up early bird? I get up around 0420 a few times a week to get to the gym before it opens. Cardio some days, lifting others. Also I walk a mile to work, about half is uphill. After three years of that I must be in better shape.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

dogstile posted:

Not got a location decided yet, either California somewhere or Boise in Idaho I think. This wouldn't be happening for around a year mind, but its exciting stuff. Especially as i'm one of five people who can do it. Right now i'm just getting buddy buddy with the VP, which is really cool. Spent a good three hours chatting to him today.
Don't leave another country to come to Boise fuckin' Idaho.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Misogynist posted:

Don't leave another country to come to Boise fuckin' Idaho.

Maybe he's in a shittier city in wherever he's at now.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

What's up early bird? I get up around 0420 a few times a week to get to the gym before it opens. Cardio some days, lifting others. Also I walk a mile to work, about half is uphill. After three years of that I must be in better shape.

Funny enough I'm actually in the worst shape of my life. I could drop like 10 or so lbs to get rid of these developing love handles. Beer is good as gently caress and I really just need to give it up at least 6 out of 7 days.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know what's available in your area but I'd check if any of the local CC's offer 100% online classes. If you just need the credit, do a straightforward class online, just do all the work, turn it in and get credits at the end.

I'll check, but it's $450 for the class at the CC so I figure I'm going to be hard pressed to beat that anywhere else

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

psydude posted:

I'll check, but it's $450 for the class at the CC so I figure I'm going to be hard pressed to beat that anywhere else

It's not the price, it's the free evenings. This is a freshman college class, you'll probably be able to blow through the content much faster than a teacher could.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Stuck between two bosses and it's been getting worse and worse. Do all professions stress about work related crap like we all seem to constantly? The worst part is that the problems are rarely technology related.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

psydude posted:

I must be spoiled. Arizona can be a lovely state but we have some quality CC at an affordable price: http://www.riosalado.edu/cashier/Pages/TuitionCalculator.aspx

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Zero, I might have missed it but have you received your job offer in writing yet?

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

psydude posted:

Go talk to your dean/chair and get it waived if you can demonstrate you already know the content. They may offer a specific exam to test out of it or just require you to hit a certain score on the next class if there's a direct follow-on course you're taking.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

Zero, I might have missed it but have you received your job offer in writing yet?

Signed it Friday and gave notice to my boss. Gave notice to the HR Director today and she says "oh okay, I'll just cancel your raise" and I'm like "Excuse me? It was supposed to take effect today, what about my final two weeks?" And she's like "well it was delayed because a field wasn't filled out properly by your boss but no sense in completing it now".

I'm almost totally sure that's not legal. I was hearing that there might have been a stipulation where my month of unused vacation can't be cashed out at the raise rates unless I've had them for 45 days or something but I'm still supposed to start my raise today and if they're not going to honor it there's no reason I should honor my two weeks notice.

I want to leave on friendly terms because I'd like to come back for consulting work, but drat if they aren't trying to be sleazy.

In other news the founder/president of the new company wants to meet me tomorrow, I'm skipping the CEO and going right to this guy instead, he seems very technical so I'm sure we'll get along.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I am not a lawyer but unless it's in the employee handbook that pay increases are guaranteed then I doubt you'll see that money. It depends on the state but there's an awful lot of lovely things they can do without actually breaking any laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its two weeks man, just let it go. It can't be that much extra money and a good reference is important.

(Probably)