Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
So I'm putting a new bumper cover on the Miata and need to move the badge from the old one to the new one. I assume hair dryer + adhesive remover + floss for removal, but what about reapplication? How do I stick this sucker back on, and most importantly, do it straight and centered?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

dupersaurus posted:

What products would I need to do this?

Get some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a couple microfiber rags. Put it on the rag. Rub until the mark goes away. If the mark doesn't go away with that, use a Magic Eraser and the mark will probably come right off, then Ultimate Compound. After either of those, wax and go away happy.

blk posted:

So I'm putting a new bumper cover on the Miata and need to move the badge from the old one to the new one. I assume hair dryer + adhesive remover + floss for removal, but what about reapplication? How do I stick this sucker back on, and most importantly, do it straight and centered?

Which badge? The two on the rear are easy because they are large, mostly rectangular pieces. The front should only have the one in the center if it's a newer NA, yeah, warm up with a hair dryer and use floss. Shouldn't even need adhesive remover. Get some 3M emblem tape, cut to size, put on and apply straight.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 13, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Get some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a couple microfiber rags. Put it on the rag. Rub until the mark goes away. If the mark doesn't go away with that, use a Magic Eraser and the mark will probably come right off, then Ultimate Compound. After either of those, wax and go away happy.

Having been to the Meguiar's forums this week, I feel the need to reiterate clean microfiber rags on a clean panel and following the package directions.

Used correctly, Ultimate Compound is amazing stuff. Used like idiots on the internet use it, it's amazing in a completely different way.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

blk posted:

There are two alignment holes and there's adhesive on the backside of the front emblem.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Molten Llama posted:

Used correctly, Ultimate Compound is amazing stuff. Used like idiots on the internet use it, it's amazing in a completely different way.
If you don't have any wax etc at all, Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is a reasonable all-in-one product. Nowhere near as good as the Ultimate Compound followed by the wax, but for :10bux: and a one-stage product you can't go far wrong.

Phone posted:

There are two alignment holes and there's adhesive on the backside of the front emblem.
I'm surprised he needed to ask. Holes on the backside with sticky stuff are kind of Miata owners' speciality. :buddy:

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Anyone have a recommended method of getting dealer decals off a car? I just purchased a used car that had the standard dealer text on the back, as well as some pointless stripes going across the body.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If it's a recent one (i.e. from the dealer you bought it from), you may be able to peel it off easily. If not, it could need warming up with a hairdryer/heatgun and still come off in a million pieces. On glass, a razor or stanley blade can help, but watch for your heater on the rear screen.

Also, if they've been on the body panels a while, the paint colour underneath may be noticeably different to the surrounding area, and need the panel compounded to blend it all together.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Thanks for the info, the rear decal is on the paint, but was in the dealers possession a very short time (I drove off with it an hour after it was serviced by them). The other decals must have been a previous owner, maybe I'll leave them on until I get a DA polisher if there could be complications.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Unless it's a car over 10 years old, say, or in a very sunny locale, it's not likely to be bad enough to not be fixable by hand.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

InitialDave posted:

If you don't have any wax etc at all, Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is a reasonable all-in-one product. Nowhere near as good as the Ultimate Compound followed by the wax, but for :10bux: and a one-stage product you can't go far wrong.

Echoing this. After my road tar cleanup with WD-40, I was lazy and hit the affected areas with Cleaner Wax (mostly because I had half a dozen of those little bottles that get included in Meguiar's claybar kits and wanted to get rid of them). That stuff did a pretty incredible job taking the last of the tar that the WD-40 and the subsequent wash missed.

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Unless it's a car over 10 years old, say, or in a very sunny locale, it's not likely to be bad enough to not be fixable by hand.

Ah good to know, yeah only a 2010. Would using a claybar to get it off be a good idea after heating it up a bit?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

MrChips posted:

Echoing this. After my road tar cleanup with WD-40, I was lazy and hit the affected areas with Cleaner Wax (mostly because I had half a dozen of those little bottles that get included in Meguiar's claybar kits and wanted to get rid of them). That stuff did a pretty incredible job taking the last of the tar that the WD-40 and the subsequent wash missed.

Meguiars Cleaner Wax is definitely a good thing to have on the shelf. I use it for wheels, put it on heavy on the barrels and it does a good job with removing tar and brake dust build-up.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Full Circle posted:

Ah good to know, yeah only a 2010. Would using a claybar to get it off be a good idea after heating it up a bit?
I would say no, it's probably not the right application.

A clay bar is meant for pulling out detritus that is embeded into the surface of the paint, but with removing an old sticker, you're more likely to be dealing with adhesive residue and perhaps a very fine line of dirt around the edge, which has escaped the normal car cleaning regime. This will mostly be on the paint.

I would try and just get the edge started with a fingernail, and see if it wants to come off in a nice run. If not, warm it with the aformentioned heat source, and see if that improves things. It may still only let you peel off a small bit before breaking up, but persevere. Just sit there on a stool with a beer and take your time.

Once the sticker is off, you need to clean off what it's left behind. If you're needing to wash the car anyway, go right ahead, and see what it gets off that way, but I can almost guarantee it will still have something there.

A mild solvent of some kind and a soft cloth will help get the old adhesive etc shifted. Lighter fluid, meths, bug and tar remover, I have a habit of just grabbing what's to hand and using that. Anything you use will also remove any existing wax protection, but you'll put that back on later anyway. Just get off any obvious stuck-on gunk, the kind your fingernail easily hooks onto.

Then you want to give the area you've worked a clean/compound to sort out any inconsistent sun fading and the like. Any compound or cleaner is likely ok, I always like Meguiar's stuff (as you can see from my other post), but there are plenty out there.

Seeing as it's a new car, I say, what the hell, do the whole thing. Get one of the Meguiar's clay kits that MrChips alluded to above, and once you've removed the sticker and any old glue, claybar the car and use the cleaner wax included with the kit. Don't bother using the detailing spray in the kit for clay lube, just use water, save the spray to use as an actual detailing spray.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Anyone know how to get asphalt off plastic trim? Only thing that seems to work is a razor blade

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

divx posted:

Anyone know how to get asphalt off plastic trim? Only thing that seems to work is a razor blade

Patience and bug-and-tar remover saturation.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Finally got around to doing a non-black car: 2006 Honda Accord in G-G-G-GOLD

Final product:

The paint was only spotty in a few areas, so I only had to hit the hood, roof, bumper cover, and trunk with a yellow pad + UC. Everything else got hit with a green pad and Menzerna PF2500 and Power Lock. The hood also got hit with a blue pad and SF4500. Only took 8 hours for: 2 washes w/ Dawn, claying, taping everything off, hitting the bad spots with Ultimate Compound, polishing the entire car, and sealing it. I'm getting better at this.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What was the wheel cleaner that's been posted here multiple times and does wonders on brake dust? I thought it was Sonus' Rim Bright, but it's been a while since I read about it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
SONAX Full Effect.

Chinatown posted:

So I bought a bottle of Sonax Full Effect wheel cleaner after hearing about it online and god drat is this poo poo amazing.

Test Subject: My sisters VW, which had not been washed in probably ~6 months.

This was accomplished in less than 5 minutes using a large soft wheel brush.

Yeah, it works.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Phone posted:

Finally got around to doing a non-black car: 2006 Honda Accord in G-G-G-GOLD

Oh man, that had to feel good.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

meatpimp posted:

Oh man, that had to feel good.

Both of those spots were like 2 seconds with UC. It really does do everything. :allears:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Chinatown posted:

SONAX Full Effect.

Thanks! I just ordered a bottle off of amazon, I have high hopes for it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MomJeans420 posted:

Thanks! I just ordered a bottle off of amazon, I have high hopes for it.

Gonna post this again because I'm proud of it. Sonax turns red when it comes in contact with brake dust. My wife's car had a stuck caliper.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sonax actually has an updated version of their wheel cleaner out now. Wheel cleaner plus. By all accounts, it bests Full Effect by a good bit. I picked some up, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

What's a good wheel cleaner I can get in the UK? I'm sure the thick caked on deposits of grime and brake dust are actually sending my wheels out of balance.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Lightning deal on Amazon -- a bit over 2 hours left:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UW1IQU

Porter Cable Detailing Kit
What's Included

Porter Cable 7424XP Variable Speed Polisher
Counter Weight
Wrench
Backing Plate
5 Hex-Logic Pads
Pad Cleaner
Pad Conditioner
2 Microfiber Towels

Clip the coupon on the page for an additional $20 off, taking the price to $165. That's a pretty good deal with the extras, and the Chemical Brothers hex pads are really nice.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Is that a good deal if I have everything else detailing related? (claybar, SONAX, microfibers, 303, etc). I'm needing to polish this and am looking to start with good hardware I can keep for years.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

DJ Commie posted:

Is that a good deal if I have everything else detailing related? (claybar, SONAX, microfibers, 303, etc). I'm needing to polish this and am looking to start with good hardware I can keep for years.

The polisher is $109 at Amazon, plus the backing wheel is another $15. That means you'd be paying about $40 for 5 pads and the spray cleaner and conditioner. I haven't used the conditioner, but I can vouch for the cleaner -- I've used a white pad of theirs 5 times and it still looks new after using the cleaner.

If you're going to be getting a polisher, this is a good kit at a good price. And you'll need every bit of it to bring back that red. It's doable, though, look up my MR2 project, it looked just as bad and shined up beautifully.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I've wanted a polisher but have been wary of the accessories and compounds needed, this about solves it.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 24, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

DJ Commie posted:

I've wanted a polisher but have been wary of the accessories and compounds needed, this about solves it.

Get this kit, some Meguiars Ultimate Compound and your choice of polish and you'll be in fine shape to start. I'll vouch for the quality of the accessories with that kit.

Your paint may need something more aggressive than UC to start. I'd suggest doing what I did to the MR2, its paint was absolutely dry as hell, so I slathered on Meguiars Hand Polish and just let it sit for a couple days. I think that put some moisture into my paint that allowed it to polish up without a huge amount of work or any further damage.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Tried out the new DA polisher I ordered. It does absolutely wonderful things to paint, finally got all the swirls out of the bonnet, glazed, and sealed it. Wonderfully easy to use, and does a superb job.

And then immediately afterwards a nearby forest fire dumped a huge amount of ash on it. At least it looked good for a day.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That top you have is siiiiiiiiiiicckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

bull3964 posted:

Sonax actually has an updated version of their wheel cleaner out now. Wheel cleaner plus. By all accounts, it bests Full Effect by a good bit. I picked some up, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I am blown away by this stuff. Completely clean wheels, literally spray on and then hose off after a few minutes.

I figured I would have finish it off with a cloth like iI do with griots wheel cleaner.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I came in here to ask about a nuclear option for the front wheels on my BMW since after about 20 minutes with a couple (crappy?) products I still have a lot of brake dust on them. I'm going to order some of that SONAX stuff and try it out next weekend. I'll be doing my brakes so I'll have the wheels off the car anyway so will be able to hit the insides as well. I'll take some pictures and post them here.

e:

SlimManFat posted:

I've been detailing my own cars/cars for friends for years, but never really went in-depth into glass. Beyond claybaring and a tube of Canadian Tire glass polish, does anyone have any insight into it? I'm looking for a nice detailed article or video or something.
I was reading back through the thread and saw this. Hopefully you've cleaned your glass by now, but here's a pretty great video from Larry Kosilla of AMMO NYC featured on Drive Clean on Youtube. He's pretty :spergin: about detailing, and his other videos are pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUtdlzrktI

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 29, 2014

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Chalk another (mostly) victory to Ultimate Compound. Now about windows: I've been trying to clean the inside windows (particularly the windshield), and I'm having trouble finding something. I've tried windex and some wipes, but it seems like I'm only pushing the gunk around. I'm not a smoker so it's all just natural accumulation.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Chalk another (mostly) victory to Ultimate Compound. Now about windows: I've been trying to clean the inside windows (particularly the windshield), and I'm having trouble finding something. I've tried windex and some wipes, but it seems like I'm only pushing the gunk around. I'm not a smoker so it's all just natural accumulation.

Stoner's Invisible Glass.

Or white vinegar.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

BoyBlunder posted:

Stoner's Invisible Glass.

Or white vinegar.

+1 for Stoner's. Use newspaper instead of a paper towel / microfiber and your windows will be glistening.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Ooo0o0o I am gonna try that newspaper trick. Thats pro.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010
Yeah it works amazing, just make sure to crumple it up and it'll scrub up anything and dry without any streaks. And it's free.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I was reading back through the thread and saw this. Hopefully you've cleaned your glass by now, but here's a pretty great video from Larry Kosilla of AMMO NYC featured on Drive Clean on Youtube. He's pretty :spergin: about detailing, and his other videos are pretty good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVUtdlzrktI

I just spent way too much time watching this guy's videos, somehow he makes it seem reasonable to go buy a glass polishing pad for my porter cable and spend an hour cleaning my windshield.

Definitely :spergin: :spergin: :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Which of these should I get?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sonax+wheel&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asonax+wheel

E: the wheel cleaners.